Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,825 members, 7,851,781 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 08:01 AM

Uk Marriage Enquiry - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Uk Marriage Enquiry (1764 Views)

Uk Marriage Interview In Lagos Share Your Experience / Uk Marriage Visa Requirement / Uk Marriage Visa- Pls Help. What Are The Info Needed Pls Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Uk Marriage Enquiry by joxiri: 10:53pm On Jan 24, 2012
hi
just a few ?s if you want to get married to some1 to remain in the uk, after the marriage
which application category do you apply for
is it set m application or set flr(m)
I am confused
if the person is a student and intends to get married after which he intends to apply to remain in the country is the initial application with set (m) or set flr(m)
Re: Uk Marriage Enquiry by joxiri: 9:22pm On Jan 25, 2012
awaiting replies thank you
Re: Uk Marriage Enquiry by joxiri: 6:21pm On Jan 29, 2012
a response would be nice oh
Re: Uk Marriage Enquiry by bolame: 2:48am On Jan 30, 2012
U can check the uk border agency online wbsite
Re: Uk Marriage Enquiry by joxiri: 11:03am On Jan 30, 2012
Done that still confused
Re: Uk Marriage Enquiry by OmoTier1(m): 7:19pm On Jan 30, 2012
joxiri:

hi
  just a few ?s if you want to get married to some1 to remain in the uk, after the marriage
  which application category do you apply for
  is it set m application or set flr(m)
  I am confused
  if the person is a student and intends to get married after which he intends to apply to remain in the country is the initial application with set (m) or set flr(m)
Explains which one fits you in plain English me thinks!

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/settlement/applicationtypes/applicationformset(m)/

To put it simply, if you were legally in the UK under a different visas category other than Spousal Visas, provided you have lived in the UK for two years, you can proceed after your marriage to apply for Settle in the UK using SET (M) form and you do this in person!

If you are on student visas and you have stayed in the UK for more than two years, then you would apply for settlement using SET (M), but if you havent spent two years and your visas is still valid before you complete the two years, you would be required to complete that two years on your current visas before applying for settlement using SET (M) form.
Re: Uk Marriage Enquiry by bolame: 9:42pm On Jan 30, 2012
Omo_teir1 Thanks so mush for replying the poster,this will surely help me too when applying for mine, but more comment will be greatly appreciate from Laujustice and Siena
Re: Uk Marriage Enquiry by OmoTier1(m): 9:46pm On Jan 30, 2012
bolame:

Omo_teir1 Thanks so mush for replying the poster,this will surely help me too when applying for mine, but more comment will be greatly appreciate from Laujustice and Siena
Are you married to a Brits? And have you lived in the UK for more than two years also?
Re: Uk Marriage Enquiry by bolame: 9:52pm On Jan 30, 2012
no have known him for only 1 half year when he come to naija for his holidays etc and not married yet just trying to do that few months from now
Re: Uk Marriage Enquiry by bolame: 9:52pm On Jan 30, 2012
no have known him for only 1 half year when he come to naija for his holidays etc and not married yet just trying to do that few months from now
Re: Uk Marriage Enquiry by OmoTier1(m): 10:00pm On Jan 30, 2012
bolame:

And you'r in Nigeria or in the UK with him now?
Re: Uk Marriage Enquiry by joxiri: 10:08pm On Jan 30, 2012
omo tier 1 thank you
the person is on a psw and been living with his mrs for a year they intend to marry soon before his psw expires
after his marriage can he apply with set m or flr(m) and if he applies with set m does this mean he wont have the 2 yr ilr and just get permanent ilr straight
just to clarify please
Re: Uk Marriage Enquiry by bolame: 10:10pm On Jan 30, 2012
oh ok, i understand now the above link is only meant for the people that have already live in the uk for up to 2 years and above n already married
Re: Uk Marriage Enquiry by OmoTier1(m): 10:12pm On Jan 30, 2012
joxiri:

omo tier 1 thank you
 the person is on a psw and been living with his mrs for a year they intend to marry soon before his psw expires
  after his marriage can he apply with set m or flr(m) and if he applies with set m does this mean he wont have the 2 yr ilr and just get permanent ilr straight
just to clarify please
Set (M) is for Settlement and under the rules, to qualify for settlement, S/He must have been in the UK legally for two years, hence the person might have to apply for Further leave to remain as the Wife or Husband of a Brits meaning S/He would be given Spousal Visas to make up the two years after which they can now apply for settlement visas.

If He has been in the UK for more than two years either as a student or on any of the point based system Visas route, then S/He can apply for Settlement as they would be deemed as haven spent the two years under their current visas and their settlement application would be processed accordingly.
Re: Uk Marriage Enquiry by OmoTier1(m): 10:14pm On Jan 30, 2012
bolame:

oh ok, i understand now the above link is only meant for the people that have already live in the uk for up to 2 years and above n already married
Yes. In your case if you are not in the UK yet, and if your Hubby at the time you get married has British citizenship or an Indefinate leave to remian, He can apply for you to come over on Spousal Visas. You would be given two years Visas after which you would be required to apply for Settlement at the expiration of your Spousal two YEAR Visas.
Re: Uk Marriage Enquiry by joxiri: 11:07pm On Jan 30, 2012
ok
  the person was a student in the uk for 5 yrs retrurned to nigeria for a couple of months and came back on a psw
  if he applies a couple of months before his psw expires
would this mean he would have qualified for the 2 years or because his psw is valid for 2 yrs and he is applying before the end he can only apply for flr(m)
or will the total time he has been in uk on the past count towards the 2 yr period

thank you very much
Re: Uk Marriage Enquiry by OmoTier1(m): 11:21pm On Jan 30, 2012
joxiri:

ok
  the person was a student in the uk for 5 yrs retrurned to nigeria for a couple of months and came back on a psw
  if he applies a couple of months before his psw expires
would this mean he would have qualified for the 2 years or because his psw is valid for 2 yrs and he is applying before the end he can only apply for flr(m)
or will the total time he has been in uk on the past count towards the 2 yr period

thank you very much
As long as S/He submits Her or His application and pay the appropriate fees no more than 28days before the expiration of His or Her PSW visas, then He or She would be deemed to have spent His or Her two years.

Also do have it in mind that His/Her previous five years would no longer count if He/She obtained the PWS visas outside of the UK as it would be deemed that His/Her counting two years begins with His/Her new Visas or the day He/She enters the UK!

So in your own case, yes He/She can apply for Settlement provided S/He submitts their application NOT LATER THAN 28days before the expiration of their PWS visas.
Re: Uk Marriage Enquiry by joxiri: 11:57pm On Jan 30, 2012
yea
but 28 days before the expiration of the psw isnt exactly spending 2 years and like you said if the psw was obtained outside the uk, then is it 2 yrs for the duration of the visa or 2 yrs from the time the person enters the uk because e.g if the person enters the uk about a month after the issue date of the psw and then applied applies 28 days before expiration of psw then technically he or she is short of 2 yrs by about 2 months
do you see where i am coming from i know I am being a pain sorry
Re: Uk Marriage Enquiry by OmoTier1(m): 6:42pm On Jan 31, 2012
joxiri:

yea
but 28 days before the expiration of the psw isnt exactly spending 2 years and like you said if the psw was obtained outside the uk, then is it 2 yrs for the duration of the visa or 2 yrs from the time the person enters the uk because e.g if the person enters the uk about a month after the issue date of the psw and then applied applies 28 days before expiration of psw then technically he or she is short of 2 yrs by about 2 months
do you see where i am coming from i know I am being a pain sorry
No, the alternative of date of Arrival does not apply in your case becuase your visas was obtained overseas. It is mainly for people who enters the UK legally before obtaining FLR.

Yes 28 days would 'technically' count s as making up for the 2yrs according to the UKBA. So it is not a case of the two years completed on calender days though it would seems UKBA does this on calender month which is very unusual of them.

Summary, put in your application not before 28days to the expiration of your PSW visas.
Re: Uk Marriage Enquiry by joxiri: 7:23pm On Jan 31, 2012
ok so it will be 2 year visa duration that will count?
thanks for everything omo tier1

(1) (Reply)

. / Why Nigerians Should Stay Away From British Airways / How Can A Friend From Oman Visit Me In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.