Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,110 members, 7,818,311 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:25 PM

The Muslim’s Guide To A Successful Job Interview. - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / The Muslim’s Guide To A Successful Job Interview. (8454 Views)

20 Inventions Falsely Credited To The Muslim World / Advice For The Muslim Sisters Before You Say I Do / Big Time Debate: The True Followers Of Jesus Are The Muslim (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Muslim’s Guide To A Successful Job Interview. by tbaba1234: 1:25am On Jan 28, 2012
The Muslim’s Guide to a Successful Job Interview.
By Ehab Hassan

“I’m sorry; we’ve decided to go with someone else. We’ll be sure to keep your resume on file for a year in case something else comes up.“

I’ve been to plenty of job interviews. I’ve applied to more places than I can count since I finished my undergrad and interviewed at more places than I can remember. I definitely did not land every job I interviewed for. No matter how great or horrific my interviews went though, I learned something from them. I’ve also interviewed my fair share of people and talked to other managers in the process about what we’re looking for and what we’re not. These are simply some of my thoughts, based on my experience as both an interviewer and an interviewee. I hope that my advice will help you find something that you love, make you successful, and allow our ummah (community) to prosper insha’Allah (God willing).

1. Make Istikharah Before the Interview

You can pray istikharah (prayer for guidance) after the interview as well, but doing it before accomplishes several things. One, it gives you comfort that the outcome is from Allah subhanahu wa ta`ala (exalted is He). You remember that your potential employer is not your provider. Two, it calms you down. You realize that if it is good for you, you will get it, and if not, you won’t. So don’t sweat it! Just make du`a’ (supplication) for whatever is best.

2. Top 5 Things I Want Them to Know About Me

Come up with a list of 5 things about yourself that would make them want to hire you. This can be some big accomplishment you have had, something you studied on the side, a problem you solved, or an example of teamwork or leadership. Work those 5 things into the interview wherever you can. Make sure you do not walk away from the interview wishing that they knew something about you that you just didn’t get a chance to say. There will be opportunities to work them in, so don’t let them pass by.

3. Smart Points

Come up with a list of 5 “smart points”. These are intelligent things that you can say about your field (your area of expertise and the field that you are interviewing for). These are points that will make the interviewer realize that you have background in that area and probably have a solid understanding in your field as well. Know them well; practice them in front of a mirror if you need to. Make sure that you are able to use them during the interview. Unlike the list of things that you want them to know about you, not all smart points have to be used if they don’t seem appropriate. After seeing your resume, there are many cases in which the employer is no longer wondering whether or not you are familiar with the subject. Instead, they just want to know that you’re a good match for the company. You’ll know this when they stay clear from the technical/field related questions. If they do this, do not press it too much, and don’t try to direct the interview in the direction that you want. If not, make sure you insert your smart points wherever possible.

4. Have Questions for Them

Ask questions throughout the interview if appropriate. In addition, have at least two or three questions ready at the end of the interview. They will ask you if you have any questions for them. Never say no. You can even use the opportunity to find out more about the interviewer. Make them sell you the company! The interview goes both ways. Come up with your questions ahead of time. You can even write them down, bring them with you, and read them right off the paper if you need to (but they must be very good if you do). Some sample questions could be:

What is the biggest challenge you think I would face with this position?
Why do you feel that I may be a good match for this position? (Again, have them sell the company/position to you)
Describe a typical day for me if I were to take this position.
What is your favorite part about your job?
What is the single most important skill you think I will need for this position?

5. Review Typical Interview Questions

A lot of the interview questions that are asked are somewhat standard. Be ready to answer them. They can be found online and may be repeated throughout your different interviews. There are many questions that you can be sure you will be asked: why do you want this job, tell us about yourself, what is your greatest strength, what is your greatest weakness, etc. And by the way, when they ask for your greatest weakness, do not say that you’re too hard of a worker or something obnoxious like that. You’ll read tips online that will tell you to think of your strength and manipulate it to sound as if that’s your weakness so they think you’re amazing. When people answer me like this, I don’t think, “Wow, this person is really that great.” Instead, I think, “Wow, this person doesn’t even know in what areas they can improve.”

6. Know About the Company

Before you go, read up about the company. Know what they do, their goals, their achievements, their culture. Be prepared to display your knowledge of the company during the interview. This goes a long way in showing that you are really interested in them, and that you’re not just hoping to land any job that comes along.

7. Dress for Success

This is obvious and goes without saying. Dress professionally. Get a haircut if you need one. Shower, smell nice (guys), and make sure your shoes are nice and clean. Sisters, do not sacrifice your Islamic morals for the interview. Wear your hijab right and be modest. You’re not going to win a job by sliding your hijab back a few inches. Also, if you need to, you can carry your cell phone in your pocket, but make sure the ringer is off. I’ve had an interview take a turn for the worse because the person I was interviewing forgot to turn his ringer off, and a very strange ring-tone went off which gave us a completely different impression of the professional person we thought we were interviewing. Don’t take the chance.

8. Islamic Etiquette

Before you go, determine if you will shake hands with the opposite gender. Regardless of your decision, be both confident and polite. Have a general idea of how you will respond if you will not shake their hand. A short, concise, answer should do the trick. Also, consider that you may be put in a position where they want to interview you behind a closed door, with no windows into the room, with one person from the opposite gender (khalwa). You can politely ask that the door be left slightly open.

9. Bring Copies of Your Resume

There isn’t much you need to bring to your interview: some copies of your resume (five should be enough unless you know you need more), a pen, and something to write on. Don’t come in with more than that. Don’t bring your own drink or cup of coffee, snacks, or anything additional. It can be a turn-off.

10. Be On Time

Be on time or else you pretty much automatically don’t get the job. This is the professional world. 9:30 means 9:30. Not 9:33. Also, don’t try to impress them by showing up 45 minutes early. When someone shows up half an hour early, I don’t think that the person is punctual. Instead, I think that that person has no respect for my time. I’m at work, I have things to do, I have other meetings, and a schedule. When someone shows up half an hour early, I have to drop what I’m doing and rearrange my entire day because of it. Get there a half an hour early– but sit in the car, go over your smart points and the things you want them to know about you. Make some du`a’. Just don’t check in with the receptionist (or interviewer) until 5 minutes prior to your interview time.

11. Answer Questions Thoroughly

Do not give one word, yes and no answers. Answer thoroughly. They are asking questions hoping to hold a conversation with you. Whenever possible, tell them a story about yourself – tell them heroic stories of great things you’ve done on the job or a project. They’ll be sure to remember you if you do. Tell them about a problem you solved or method that you improved at your last job or school project. Answer questions completely and enthusiastically. Show them that you can hold a conversation. Use the STAR method when answering questions – Situation (setting the scene), Task (specifics of what’s required), Action (what you did), Result (what happened). Answering in a results-oriented way is critical. You can find some good examples online by doing a Google search on the STAR Method.

12. Be Light-Hearted

Part of the interview process is the employer finding out if you would be a good match for the company. They want someone who is personable, can get along with other employees, and is good for the overall culture. You have those few short hours to prove that you’re that person. It’s OK to crack a joke or laugh at something. Allow your good Muslim character to show.

13. The Muslim Constraints

Of course you will have to take a long break for Jummah (Friday) Prayer. You will need to slip out for 5 minutes to pray Duhr and Asr. You’re going to get the bathroom sink wet once or twice a day making wudu (ablution). Your schedule may need to change slightly during Ramadan. However, there is absolutely no reason you need to mention any of that right off the bat. Most of these will not affect anything at work any more than someone slipping out for a cigarette a couple times a day. The only thing probably worth mentioning is your slightly longer lunch break on Fridays for Jummah Prayer. And don’t even mention that until they make you an offer. And don’t make it a bigger deal than it is.

14. Be Confident in Yourself

Again, this goes with the tip of knowing that Allah (swt) is your provider. This employer is not your provider. So know that they need you just as much as you need them. Be humble, but confident, just like the character of the Prophet Muhammad ﷺ (peace be upon him). Don’t wait for approval in the interviewer’s face because it may not come. Speak clearly, don’t say anything negative (no matter how horrible your last boss was), don’t be nervous, and sit up straight. We once did not make someone an offer because of the way he disrespectfully slouched throughout the entire interview. We decided that he was not someone that we could put in front of our clients.

15. Express Interest

No matter how the interview goes, do not show that you may not be interested in the position. After the interview, follow up with an email thanking them for the opportunity to interview with them and learn about their company. Only after they actually make you an offer should you give some thought about whether or not it’s something you want. Don’t make an early decision that you might regret.

http://www.suhaibwebb.com/ummah/community/the-muslims-guide-to-a-successful-job-interview/

16 Likes

Re: The Muslim’s Guide To A Successful Job Interview. by Nobody: 8:58am On Apr 26, 2013
jazaakallahu khairan

1 Like

Re: The Muslim’s Guide To A Successful Job Interview. by AbdH: 12:51pm On Apr 26, 2013
Masha'Allah, nice one. Islam is simply the best
Re: The Muslim’s Guide To A Successful Job Interview. by PENMIGHT(m): 12:54pm On Apr 26, 2013
Jazakaallahu khairan. Muslims face a lot of trials in getting Job bacause of some of these issues you have been able to enlighten us with. Being in privacy with opposite gender, shaking the hands of the opposite gender, breaking away for prayers, your islamic outlook and dressing all seems to always serve as barriers for muslims in this contemporary society.

But with this, you ve helped in merging our needs, and form a bridge between satisfying man and satisfying our creator. Our success lies not in compromising our religion for this Dunya but in obeying The Only One who is capable of Granting Success.

Whoever fears Allaah, He will open a way for him and provide sustenance for him where he least expect.May Allaah ease the affairs of all job seekers and provide Halal means of livelihood to us all.

6 Likes

Re: The Muslim’s Guide To A Successful Job Interview. by Nobody: 1:09pm On Apr 26, 2013
I can see most posts are hidden
Re: The Muslim’s Guide To A Successful Job Interview. by bayour80: 1:11pm On Apr 26, 2013
JZK.
tbaba1234: The Muslim’s Guide to a Successful Job Interview.
By Ehab Hassan

“I’m sorry; we’ve decided to go with someone else. We’ll be sure to keep your resume on file for a year in case something else comes up.“

I’ve been to plenty of job interviews. I’ve applied to more places than I can count since I finished my undergrad and interviewed at more places than I can remember. I definitely did not land every job I interviewed for. No matter how great or horrific my interviews went though, I learned something from them. I’ve also interviewed my fair share of people and talked to other managers in the process about what we’re looking for and what we’re not. These are simply some of my thoughts, based on my experience as both an interviewer and an interviewee. I hope that my advice will help you find something that you love, make you successful, and allow our ummah (community) to prosper insha’Allah (God willing).

1. Make Istikharah Before the Interview

You can pray istikharah (prayer for guidance) after the interview as well, but doing it before accomplishes several things. One, it gives you comfort that the outcome is from Allah subhanahu wa ta`ala (exalted is He). You remember that your potential employer is not your provider. Two, it calms you down. You realize that if it is good for you, you will get it, and if not, you won’t. So don’t sweat it! Just make du`a’ (supplication) for whatever is best.

2. Top 5 Things I Want Them to Know About Me

Come up with a list of 5 things about yourself that would make them want to hire you. This can be some big accomplishment you have had, something you studied on the side, a problem you solved, or an example of teamwork or leadership. Work those 5 things into the interview wherever you can. Make sure you do not walk away from the interview wishing that they knew something about you that you just didn’t get a chance to say. There will be opportunities to work them in, so don’t let them pass by.

3. Smart Points

Come up with a list of 5 “smart points”. These are intelligent things that you can say about your field (your area of expertise and the field that you are interviewing for). These are points that will make the interviewer realize that you have background in that area and probably have a solid understanding in your field as well. Know them well; practice them in front of a mirror if you need to. Make sure that you are able to use them during the interview. Unlike the list of things that you want them to know about you, not all smart points have to be used if they don’t seem appropriate. After seeing your resume, there are many cases in which the employer is no longer wondering whether or not you are familiar with the subject. Instead, they just want to know that you’re a good match for the company. You’ll know this when they stay clear from the technical/field related questions. If they do this, do not press it too much, and don’t try to direct the interview in the direction that you want. If not, make sure you insert your smart points wherever possible.

4. Have Questions for Them

Ask questions throughout the interview if appropriate. In addition, have at least two or three questions ready at the end of the interview. They will ask you if you have any questions for them. Never say no. You can even use the opportunity to find out more about the interviewer. Make them sell you the company! The interview goes both ways. Come up with your questions ahead of time. You can even write them down, bring them with you, and read them right off the paper if you need to (but they must be very good if you do). Some sample questions could be:

What is the biggest challenge you think I would face with this position?
Why do you feel that I may be a good match for this position? (Again, have them sell the company/position to you)
Describe a typical day for me if I were to take this position.
What is your favorite part about your job?
What is the single most important skill you think I will need for this position?

5. Review Typical Interview Questions

A lot of the interview questions that are asked are somewhat standard. Be ready to answer them. They can be found online and may be repeated throughout your different interviews. There are many questions that you can be sure you will be asked: why do you want this job, tell us about yourself, what is your greatest strength, what is your greatest weakness, etc. And by the way, when they ask for your greatest weakness, do not say that you’re too hard of a worker or something obnoxious like that. You’ll read tips online that will tell you to think of your strength and manipulate it to sound as if that’s your weakness so they think you’re amazing. When people answer me like this, I don’t think, “Wow, this person is really that great.” Instead, I think, “Wow, this person doesn’t even know in what areas they can improve.”

6. Know About the Company

Before you go, read up about the company. Know what they do, their goals, their achievements, their culture. Be prepared to display your knowledge of the company during the interview. This goes a long way in showing that you are really interested in them, and that you’re not just hoping to land any job that comes along.

7. Dress for Success

This is obvious and goes without saying. Dress professionally. Get a haircut if you need one. Shower, smell nice (guys), and make sure your shoes are nice and clean. Sisters, do not sacrifice your Islamic morals for the interview. Wear your hijab right and be modest. You’re not going to win a job by sliding your hijab back a few inches. Also, if you need to, you can carry your cell phone in your pocket, but make sure the ringer is off. I’ve had an interview take a turn for the worse because the person I was interviewing forgot to turn his ringer off, and a very strange ring-tone went off which gave us a completely different impression of the professional person we thought we were interviewing. Don’t take the chance.

8. Islamic Etiquette

Before you go, determine if you will shake hands with the opposite gender. Regardless of your decision, be both confident and polite. Have a general idea of how you will respond if you will not shake their hand. A short, concise, answer should do the trick. Also, consider that you may be put in a position where they want to interview you behind a closed door, with no windows into the room, with one person from the opposite gender (khalwa). You can politely ask that the door be left slightly open.

9. Bring Copies of Your Resume

There isn’t much you need to bring to your interview: some copies of your resume (five should be enough unless you know you need more), a pen, and something to write on. Don’t come in with more than that. Don’t bring your own drink or cup of coffee, snacks, or anything additional. It can be a turn-off.

10. Be On Time

Be on time or else you pretty much automatically don’t get the job. This is the professional world. 9:30 means 9:30. Not 9:33. Also, don’t try to impress them by showing up 45 minutes early. When someone shows up half an hour early, I don’t think that the person is punctual. Instead, I think that that person has no respect for my time. I’m at work, I have things to do, I have other meetings, and a schedule. When someone shows up half an hour early, I have to drop what I’m doing and rearrange my entire day because of it. Get there a half an hour early– but sit in the car, go over your smart points and the things you want them to know about you. Make some du`a’. Just don’t check in with the receptionist (or interviewer) until 5 minutes prior to your interview time.

11. Answer Questions Thoroughly

Do not give one word, yes and no answers. Answer thoroughly. They are asking questions hoping to hold a conversation with you. Whenever possible, tell them a story about yourself – tell them heroic stories of great things you’ve done on the job or a project. They’ll be sure to remember you if you do. Tell them about a problem you solved or method that you improved at your last job or school project. Answer questions completely and enthusiastically. Show them that you can hold a conversation. Use the STAR method when answering questions – Situation (setting the scene), Task (specifics of what’s required), Action (what you did), Result (what happened). Answering in a results-oriented way is critical. You can find some good examples online by doing a Google search on the STAR Method.

12. Be Light-Hearted

Part of the interview process is the employer finding out if you would be a good match for the company. They want someone who is personable, can get along with other employees, and is good for the overall culture. You have those few short hours to prove that you’re that person. It’s OK to crack a joke or laugh at something. Allow your good Muslim character to show.

13. The Muslim Constraints

Of course you will have to take a long break for Jummah (Friday) Prayer. You will need to slip out for 5 minutes to pray Duhr and Asr. You’re going to get the bathroom sink wet once or twice a day making wudu (ablution). Your schedule may need to change slightly during Ramadan. However, there is absolutely no reason you need to mention any of that right off the bat. Most of these will not affect anything at work any more than someone slipping out for a cigarette a couple times a day. The only thing probably worth mentioning is your slightly longer lunch break on Fridays for Jummah Prayer. And don’t even mention that until they make you an offer. And don’t make it a bigger deal than it is.

14. Be Confident in Yourself

Again, this goes with the tip of knowing that Allah (swt) is your provider. This employer is not your provider. So know that they need you just as much as you need them. Be humble, but confident, just like the character of the Prophet Muhammad ﷺ (peace be upon him). Don’t wait for approval in the interviewer’s face because it may not come. Speak clearly, don’t say anything negative (no matter how horrible your last boss was), don’t be nervous, and sit up straight. We once did not make someone an offer because of the way he disrespectfully slouched throughout the entire interview. We decided that he was not someone that we could put in front of our clients.

15. Express Interest

No matter how the interview goes, do not show that you may not be interested in the position. After the interview, follow up with an email thanking them for the opportunity to interview with them and learn about their company. Only after they actually make you an offer should you give some thought about whether or not it’s something you want. Don’t make an early decision that you might regret.

http://www.suhaibwebb.com/ummah/community/the-muslims-guide-to-a-successful-job-interview/
Re: The Muslim’s Guide To A Successful Job Interview. by tinnymerit(m): 1:16pm On Apr 26, 2013
most of what you listed cant work except you are going for 23k job interview.

2 Likes

Re: The Muslim’s Guide To A Successful Job Interview. by Nobody: 1:22pm On Apr 26, 2013
When you think you ve seen it all ...
Re: The Muslim’s Guide To A Successful Job Interview. by abusumaya: 1:24pm On Apr 26, 2013
what about a heavily bearded muslim.what is the success chance?
Re: The Muslim’s Guide To A Successful Job Interview. by tinnymerit(m): 1:42pm On Apr 26, 2013
Even in lister flower that belongs to Arisekola(aree musulumi of yorubaland) you cant do just that let alone dangote groups and the multinationals.sorry if i shot you on the legs,just my 2 cents.

1 Like

Re: The Muslim’s Guide To A Successful Job Interview. by tinnymerit(m): 1:45pm On Apr 26, 2013
Thanks i have downloaded the STARS in ppt.i really ap8 it because i am just seeing it for the second time.Thanks once again.
Re: The Muslim’s Guide To A Successful Job Interview. by TeaParty: 2:56pm On Apr 26, 2013
You can only succeed because of "Federal Character".
Re: The Muslim’s Guide To A Successful Job Interview. by Nobody: 2:59pm On Apr 26, 2013

2 Likes

Re: The Muslim’s Guide To A Successful Job Interview. by laani: 3:24pm On Apr 26, 2013
Very good one.
Re: The Muslim’s Guide To A Successful Job Interview. by xaine: 3:57pm On Apr 26, 2013
ooseven:

To avoid being offended, please ensure that your thread is not brought to my 'Front page'

If not that WTF!!

Your Front Page?!

If you Can just take your stupidity somewhere else that will be great .

2 Likes

Re: The Muslim’s Guide To A Successful Job Interview. by Bsmartt(m): 4:23pm On Apr 26, 2013
alhamdulilahi.indeed ALLAH is our provider and not the employer.may ALLAH continue to guard and guide us.ameen
Re: The Muslim’s Guide To A Successful Job Interview. by maclatunji: 4:29pm On Apr 26, 2013
^Ameen.
Re: The Muslim’s Guide To A Successful Job Interview. by Beaf1: 4:40pm On Apr 26, 2013
Jaza'akAllah Khairan.
Re: The Muslim’s Guide To A Successful Job Interview. by PENMIGHT(m): 6:06pm On Apr 26, 2013
abusumaya: what about a heavily bearded muslim.what is the success chance?
Successful,indeed, are the believers.

In Riyad al-Salihin - the prophet was reported to have said'
" Amazing is the affairs of the believer. In all of his affairs,he finds goodness in it. And this trait is not bestowed on anyone except a believer. If he is afflicted, he is patient,and there is goodness in that for him. When he is endowed, he is grateful,and there is goodness in that for him.

A full bearded man may loose a job cos of that but he gains from something better. Win-win for him.
Re: The Muslim’s Guide To A Successful Job Interview. by PENMIGHT(m): 6:11pm On Apr 26, 2013
tinnymerit: most of what you listed cant work except you are going for 23k job interview.
Low aim is a crime! Nothing has been written that can't work. How many people don't do all these and yet still don't get fat jobs.

What will hit you will not miss u. If it is yours,it's yours!
Re: The Muslim’s Guide To A Successful Job Interview. by saintkash(m): 6:16pm On Apr 26, 2013
Amin
Re: The Muslim’s Guide To A Successful Job Interview. by fckyourman: 6:28pm On Apr 26, 2013
god bless you
Re: The Muslim’s Guide To A Successful Job Interview. by abusumaya: 6:45pm On Apr 26, 2013
PEN_MIGHT: Successful,indeed, are the believers.

In Riyad al-Salihin - the prophet was reported to have said'
" Amazing is the affairs of the believer. In all of his affairs,he finds goodness in it. And this trait is not bestowed on anyone except a believer. If he is afflicted, he is patient,and there is goodness in that for him. When he is endowed, he is grateful,and there is goodness in that for him.

A full bearded man may loose a job cos of that but he gains from something better. Win-win for him.

jzk

3 Likes

Re: The Muslim’s Guide To A Successful Job Interview. by Mujitapha(m): 6:45pm On Apr 26, 2013
Employer is not your provider but Allah is your provider.
^I like this point.

1 Like

Re: The Muslim’s Guide To A Successful Job Interview. by seyih2(m): 8:27pm On Apr 26, 2013
jazakallahu khaira
Re: The Muslim’s Guide To A Successful Job Interview. by Walexz02(m): 9:17pm On Apr 26, 2013
Nice one bro, may Allah reward you abundantly for these.
Surely, Islam is a perfect deen. Alhamdulillah!

1 Like

Re: The Muslim’s Guide To A Successful Job Interview. by AbdH: 9:18pm On Apr 26, 2013
PEN_MIGHT: Low aim is a crime! Nothing has been written that can't work. How many people don't do all these and yet still don't get fat jobs.

What will hit you will not miss u. If it is yours,it's yours!
That's all.

1 Like

Re: The Muslim’s Guide To A Successful Job Interview. by Cocodiva: 9:56pm On Apr 26, 2013
This is a nice one with good insights and powerful reminders.but unfortunately ,muslim ladies in hijab are usually being discriminated against due to the hijab.even when they are clearly qualified for the position.This has compelled some sisters to drop the hijab or "modify" it.may Allah help us

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Are Women Not Fit To Be Leaders? / Uthman Ibn Affan (R.A) : The Third Caliph. / Scientific Miracles from the Quran

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.