Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,601 members, 7,770,580 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 11:49 AM

How Do I Soften My Natural Hair And Stop Breakage During Combing? - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / How Do I Soften My Natural Hair And Stop Breakage During Combing? (101626 Views)

Hair Breakage Remedy For Relaxed Hair / My Natural Hair Wants To Kill Me Before My Time / Help Help: Hair Breakage I Am Turning Bald In The Front Of My Hair (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Soften My Natural Hair And Stop Breakage During Combing? by lolaluv1(f): 11:00pm On Jan 29, 2012
I decided to go natural upper year (2010). My natural hair is very kinky and stubborn. So I've been wearing a lot of weaves (cause I'm in school and I feel it's the best option as it's low maintenance). But when I remove the weave and wash it and I'm combing, it really breaks. I'm tempted to relax it again!

My hair used to be long and luxurious, I used to use my natural hair to make afro and it was like an afro wig, very thick, full and healthy! But now, I don't know what's happening!! Though it grows very fast, it breaks so there's no much difference in length.

I use a good shampoo and conditioner. Please, you can also prescribe one for me that you feel might work!

I'm wondering if stress might be a factor? Cause I've been stressed out for a while now!!!

Thanks!

1 Like

Re: How Do I Soften My Natural Hair And Stop Breakage During Combing? by BigosLady(f): 10:23am On Jan 30, 2012
Have you tried coconut oil? Put it on your hair 30mins (or more) before washing. It should make them much softer. My hair seems to love it ;-)
Re: How Do I Soften My Natural Hair And Stop Breakage During Combing? by lepasharon(f): 8:14pm On Feb 04, 2012
Girl,firstly stop wearing weaves in your hair,it does nothing,there are many other protective hairstyles you can do.
Check on youtube the many beautiful styles you can do with ur natural hair,like bantu knot twist-out,braids

Use Castor oil to be moisturising ur hair as castor oil promotes hair growth and its got healing properties. Moisturise especially the edges.
Re: How Do I Soften My Natural Hair And Stop Breakage During Combing? by lolaluv1(f): 8:59pm On Feb 04, 2012
Thank you, ladies! cheesy
Infact, I had lost all hope and was planning on perming when I remove my current weave! I'll try your tips and see what happens!!
Re: How Do I Soften My Natural Hair And Stop Breakage During Combing? by kemmeye: 2:12am On Feb 05, 2012
use shea butter my hair is natural and thats what i use
Re: How Do I Soften My Natural Hair And Stop Breakage During Combing? by lepasharon(f): 5:11am On Feb 05, 2012
but isnt ur hair gonna be stinkin lol^
Re: How Do I Soften My Natural Hair And Stop Breakage During Combing? by kemmeye: 7:16pm On Feb 05, 2012
lepasharon:

but isnt ur hair gonna be stinkin lol^

lol not like the original one lol i mean leave in conditioners that have shea butter in them. lol ure funny cheesy
Re: How Do I Soften My Natural Hair And Stop Breakage During Combing? by iice(f): 6:11pm On Feb 08, 2012
The coconut oil thing.
Your hair is probably getting dry, that's why its breaking.
And don't stress the hair too much.
Re: How Do I Soften My Natural Hair And Stop Breakage During Combing? by BABE3: 6:12pm On Feb 08, 2012
iice:

The coconut oil thing.
Your hair is probably getting dry, that's why its breaking.
And don't stress the hair too much.

I can't stress that enough.
Re: How Do I Soften My Natural Hair And Stop Breakage During Combing? by virunga: 1:49am On Feb 09, 2012
try aloe vera
Re: How Do I Soften My Natural Hair And Stop Breakage During Combing? by WAVixen: 4:04pm On Feb 09, 2012
combing your hair when its bone dry causes breakage when you comb. Comb your hair while is damp,the moisture helps moisturize your hair. All mentioned hair products on the thread are good, find the one the one suits your hair type.
Re: How Do I Soften My Natural Hair And Stop Breakage During Combing? by Corinne777(f): 4:04pm On Feb 09, 2012
I've always found that it's the central heating that will dry out your hair and cause breakage. Once a week I deep condition with anything that contains glycerin to attract moisture into my hair shaft. A really good product I have just found is Karen's Body Beautiful lucious locks hair mask, which you can get on nexrastore.com. Owner is Ghanaian  smiley

Re: How Do I Soften My Natural Hair And Stop Breakage During Combing? by AmakaG29(f): 5:10am On Feb 11, 2012
First, be sure to use a large wide tooth comb to start and work down to a narrower detangler comb. Do not comb your hair with a part comb. A detangling moisturer may help also.

I shampoo my hair, let my detangling conditioner sit for 5-10 minutes, then as warm water runs over my hair I detangle slowly from bottom to top with a paddle brush, section by section. If you wear a lot of weaves, the stress can weaken the hair and the hair will also experience natural shedding, some loss is to be expected.

From the paddle brush, I use a wide toothed comb, then a narrower comb for styling. Any time I comb or brush my hair I work in small sections from bottom to top. Starting at the top will rip a lot of hair out that could be worked through with patience.
Re: How Do I Soften My Natural Hair And Stop Breakage During Combing? by InkedNerd(f): 8:37am On Feb 11, 2012
@Everyone: Why hasn't anyone bothered to ask the OP what her current hair regimen was before everyone started making suggestions?

@OP: What is your current hair regimen? Here's a thread I started a while back. It has lot's of recipes and info that can help when it comes to caring for natural hair→ https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-551500.96.html

1 Like

Re: How Do I Soften My Natural Hair And Stop Breakage During Combing? by naturalbrwn: 7:17pm On Aug 12, 2012
Re: How Do I Soften My Natural Hair And Stop Breakage During Combing? by farydah: 8:34am On Aug 13, 2012
If you can stand the smell, deep-condition with egg yolk after shampooing. Softens my hair even tho mine's permed. You rinse thoroughly after about 45mins. Best wishes
Re: How Do I Soften My Natural Hair And Stop Breakage During Combing? by princysharma90(f): 7:23am On Aug 14, 2012
Hot oil is very essential to soften the hairs or else you can mix egg yolk in water and add olive oil and apply to your hairs and then rinse with lukewarm water and to get rid of the smell make the last rinse with the mild shampoo.

For hair loss, follow a healthy diet, take care of your hairs and avoid using the things that are bad for the hairs. You can also adopt some simple home remedies for preventing hair loss e.g apply coconut or almond oil or you can wash your hairs with decoction of tea and lemon.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Soften My Natural Hair And Stop Breakage During Combing? by tiebe: 3:29pm On Aug 14, 2012
Hallo. well, one of the main things that breaks natural hair is too much handling. we think because the hair feels like iron, it must b as strong as iron. in actual fact, black hair's much weaker than it looks. try to avoid combing ur hair everyday. how to do this? do a style that will keep for at least a week at a time. even when you do comb it, do so as if u're in love with the hair. gently. . .

Secondly keep your hair moisturised. there are several regular conditioners you could use. i'd recommend any of the aussie hair conditioners or giovanni conditioners. leaves ur hair feeling like u sprayed dew on it.

When you style ur hair, avoid d 'tighter is finer' rule. tighter hair just means more hair will pull outta ur scalp grin

most (not all o) other things are just to make u feel like u're 'doing work' on ur hair.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Soften My Natural Hair And Stop Breakage During Combing? by mitchyy(f): 4:49am On Aug 17, 2012
@gunuvi,
Is 6ltrs the lowest quantity someone can purchase? That's too much for me for now. Do you guys sell a litre?
Re: How Do I Soften My Natural Hair And Stop Breakage During Combing? by slyowokoya(f): 12:44pm On Aug 20, 2012
i now keep a spray bottle of water when i comb my hair.
i spray my hair with water apply water based moisturizing
cream use hair oil as sealant and comb.
my hair love this! pls use a wide tooth comb!

1 Like

Re: How Do I Soften My Natural Hair And Stop Breakage During Combing? by Bluemoon1(f): 2:48am On Aug 23, 2012
i've tried almost all these suggestions and my hair once dry becomes too stubborn. my curls are extremely tight so they always tangle. I've tried deep conditioning but it didn't really make a difference. even when my hair was relaxed it always gave me problems. need help too
Re: How Do I Soften My Natural Hair And Stop Breakage During Combing? by Tolaaaaannni(f): 2:36am On Sep 29, 2012
Use coconut oil, and shea butter. Mustard oil and Amla Oil is also very good for hair growth and softening hair. If you can't find

mustard oil, olive oil( The real oil in the bottle, and not the spray.) will also help
Re: How Do I Soften My Natural Hair And Stop Breakage During Combing? by Nobody: 2:42am On Sep 29, 2012
Blue moon: i've tried almost all these suggestions and my hair once dry becomes too stubborn. my curls are extremely tight so they always tangle. I've tried deep conditioning but it didn't really make a difference. even when my hair was relaxed it always gave me problems. need help too
Try using shea butter mixed with olive/coconut oil and honey. To stop shedding or breakage, try doing tea rinses after shampooing and before conditioning. Also, a pre poo with coconut oil helps.
Re: How Do I Soften My Natural Hair And Stop Breakage During Combing? by olatu(m): 2:40pm On Oct 03, 2012
Question: Why Is My Hair Breaking Off?

Hair breakage can be a serious problem whether or not you're trying to attain length. If your hair is breaking off faster than it's growing, it may seem like your hair isn't growing at all. Unless you have a medical condition, your hair is growing, but retaining length is important for seeing this growth.

Look at where the breakage is occurring. Is it at the ends of your hair? Or is the breakage at the crown of your head? Depending where the breakage is can...

Try and visit our facebook site to get more information on hair breaking, our site is BALIN HAIR & Nail STUDIO.
Re: How Do I Soften My Natural Hair And Stop Breakage During Combing? by Nobody: 12:30am On Nov 30, 2012
1) First of all, make sure you cut your ends each time you see split ends! That is a must!!

Because when it comes to our hair, split ends are the biggest culprit in stunting our hair growth next to weaves and heavy gel usage. Once the ends are cut evenly, and desplittenized tongue grin your hair will be able to "breathe" and will behave like a plant. The healthier the ends and the root, the better it will look and grow.

2) Second, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS...

Keep it conditioned and moisturized!!

Always.

Wash your hair once to twice a week (don't over do it though!!!) and deep condition it every time. You can use special deep conditioners such as Dr. Miracle's "feel it formula deep conditioner" packs or even any brand of Hair Mayonnaise...or you could use regular conditioners but keep it in for 15 minutes to an hour.

I usually mix eggs (yes! - raw eggs) to my conditioners. This is so my hair will get the protein it needs. With the mix STILL IN MY HAIR, I wrap my hair in plastic bag and keep it in there for an hour. Then, I wash it out with luke warm water so that it won't cook the egg grin.

[size=18pt]OR![/size] if you choose not to do the above you can do a hot oil treatment. This is when you use natural hair oil, place the bottle in hot water for a few minutes, and then apply the oil to your scalp and ends. You cover your oily hair in a plastic bag and keep it in there for 15 - 30 minutes. THEN you can rinse your hair of the oils.

3) After either method while your hair is still wet, apply LIGHT natural oils to your ends and your scalp. This acts as a "sealant" keeping the conditioners "locked" in your hair.

If you choose to dry it immediately instead of applying the "sealant", you can grease your scalp which is simply sectioning your hair and rubbing hair grease - some with nutrients in it like "Hair Food" or "Indian Hemp Kuza" brand- into your scalp parts).

4) ONCE YOUR HAIR IS FULLY DRY!:

You can use GENEROUS AMOUNTS moisturizing creams such as Pantene's "Relaxed & Natural Daily oil cream Moisturizer For Women of Color" - my personal favorite - or "Blue Magic Leave In Conditioner" (any moisturizer regardless of brand really) and massage it into and around your hair being sure to also apply some in your ends.

5) After that you can leave your hair as it is - if natural. Or you can straighten it Or style it smiley....

but be sure every night that you WRAP YOUR HAIR...i repeat EVERY NIGHT!...WITH A SILK SCARF! This promotes retaining the oils and moisturizers and prevent your hair from breaking out due to friction as many of us tend to toss and turn while sleeping. smiley smiley

7 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Girls Wearing Condoms In Public (Photo) / Woman With The Longest Hair(pictures) / Trendy And Classy Women Wears In Vogue From Tito Collection

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.