Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,386 members, 7,815,820 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:51 PM

Why are Africans ignorant abt Africa - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Why are Africans ignorant abt Africa (3294 Views)

See What South Africans Had To Say Concerning Xenophobia / Gaddafi Is Gone; What Are Africans Mourning? Analysis / Are Libyans Ignorant Of Their Own Racial Makeup Or Just Plain Racist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why are Africans ignorant abt Africa by BlackLibya: 12:03am On Feb 03, 2012
I am Nigerian and I talk to Ethiopians about Ethiopian history

Ethiopia, the place every African seems to love to hate. I have never seen more hatred between between people than that the Kenyans have for the ethiopians.

I cannot speak for whether Ethiopians hate Kenyans equally because I have never asked them. However I do know that the mere subject of Ethiopia has sent more than one of my Kenyan friends into a rage.
Re: Why are Africans ignorant abt Africa by morpheus24: 12:19am On Feb 03, 2012
igbo2011:

If all theAfrican corrupt leaders put their looted money into African banks then this can lead to economic growth because busnesses can grow due to loans.
There is already a huge surplus of capital in Nigerian banks that is sufficient enough to lend out to small SME's. The problem is in the incentive for "private' owned banks to loan money to SME sectors that have the potential to grow. Banks are profit driven entities that will be unwilling to lend out to say a farmer who wishes to expand his production outfit. The farmer lacks formal education and access to knowledge and skills to navigate the lending system in order to secure a loan. How do you solve that problem. Simply repatriated stolen funds and having it sit around does not resolve the question , under what framwork will it be disbursed to sectors that require it to grow since these funds will be deposited in private held entities. You might be refering to the role the CBN plays in incentivizing the private sector banks to loan money out. That process is ongoing as we speak. The CBN continues to intevene to create regulatory frameworks to enhance economic activity in the country.

igbo2011:

1. Power: With power we will be able to start to manufacture products and make our own products instead of importing everything,
2. Roads: with a good road network then trasnporting things will be better. Also with all these death trap roads, morel ives will be saved.
3. Hospitals: Our hospitals aren't the best. Once we have great hospitals this can be a great industry. many nigerians go abroad for treatment when we should be treated in Nigeria
4. Schools: Our schools must teach everyon their true GREAt history and how much we did for this world. We must teach religion and ethnic tolerance and teach the kids how much bad things the Europeans have done and how we shouldn't trust foreignors. We should trust ourselvse more. Tis inferiority complex is hurting Nigeria's economy. if nobody will by Nigerian goods then Nigerians won't open up Nigerian businesses. All this importing is very bad, we should make our own things.
5. Military: We need a great military that puts a lot of money into making great weapons and planes to defend ourselves or Africa in general.
Those are in no order but with all of that Nigeria will be a haven. Too many foreign investors are coming to Africa for business, Africans need to invest in each other and buy each other's products. We need to go to tourism within Africa!!

All the above require enabling environments for private citizens to improve what is already on ground with support from govenrmtn to create environemtns that will allow the population purseue economic activity and education
Re: Why are Africans ignorant abt Africa by pendo89(f): 6:59am On Feb 03, 2012
BlackLibya:

Ethiopia, the place every African seems to love to hate. I have never seen more hatred between between people than that the Kenyans have for the ethiopians.

I cannot speak for whether Ethiopians hate Kenyans equally because I have never asked them. However I do know that the mere subject of Ethiopia has sent more than one of my Kenyan friends into a rage.

Mhh. I wanna know why and I am going to find out.It could be personal .I know ethiopians love keeping to themselves and have their own way of doing things.Its usually not easy to see them intergrate with other communities or assimillate their cultures.They always create their own 'small ethiopia' everywhere they go.
Re: Why are Africans ignorant abt Africa by igbo2011(m): 8:52am On Feb 03, 2012
@morpheus24
I plan to open up a vocational school in the future for farmers,welders, tailors and other technicians. We need people who will produce things like furniture, clothes, food, etc. The banks can give loans to SME's that produce. Probably factory loans will help Nigeria with less imports. WIth Agriculture alone millions of jobs can be created, we just need funding. America has farm subsidies, without those, their economy may go down because less food higher food price and less disposable income.

We need tractors in Africa in general, we have enough land to export to the world.

I totally agree with you, we need an enabling environment not an environment working against you.
Re: Why are Africans ignorant abt Africa by truth4life: 10:07pm On Feb 04, 2012
Thank you for your advice; it's very helpful to me and I really appreciate it. I just followed the step by step instructions you recommended to reply your message; and I think it’s very easy and worth it. In response to your question on “BTW, what is a “check message text”? Well, it’s a SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) Authentication- where you simply check your mail before sending since many networks either block unknown senders or just filter some mails to junk instead of inbox. Hope I clarified my self a little better. Peace always!
Re: Why are Africans ignorant abt Africa by BlackLibya: 1:24am On Feb 05, 2012
Mhh. I wanna know why and I am going to find out.It could be personal .I know ethiopians love keeping to themselves and have their own way of doing things.Its usually not easy to see them intergrate with other communities or assimillate their cultures.They always create their own 'small ethiopia' everywhere they go.

You're right, we have one here, maybe even two. However it helps them alot, if all Africans did it they would get more respect I think. Ethiopians use their country like a brand, most other Africans use Africa as a brand. Maybe they have too much pride and their is too much resentment due to the lack of them being colonized(they were only occupied for like 4 years). In West Africa many of the countries did not band together against the Europeans, they fought amongst each other. From what I understand Menelik worked hard to unify Ethiopia because he knew the Europeans were coming.

Alot of times in West Africa you will read about leaders wasting resources trying to expand in the opposite direction the Europeans were advancing. Not only did they waste precious resources doing this, but they weakened the other empires/nations making it easier for the Euros to advance.
Re: Why are Africans ignorant abt Africa by MutuYaChuma: 7:38pm On Feb 06, 2012
Africans ignorant about Africa?

Why Kenyans care for Nigeria or Nigeria care for Kenya? Since when does an Ethiopian care for Kongo or Kongo care for Ethiopia?

Are they supposed to care? I think Africans are very busy trying get out of poverty and misery , away from ethnic problem nightmares that have been claiming countless innocent lives, trying to get an education, a Job, , Hustling really hard to make a day to get something to eat etc,

Africans will never care about other African countries. What they need to do is get their own houses in order first. only a few people really care to know where they will make profits for their businesses.

At the sametime. Most Africans have no problems with other countries. Don't let the internet nationalism fool you otherwise.
Re: Why are Africans ignorant abt Africa by pendo89(f): 8:48pm On Feb 06, 2012
^ No wonder you are a 'man of steel' undecided

A time is coming when they will start caring.
Re: Why are Africans ignorant abt Africa by MutuYaChuma: 9:18pm On Feb 06, 2012
^^^

We MuKenya, si ndiyo? LOL.

Of course, those who see the benefi$$$$$ will care. wink
Re: Why are Africans ignorant abt Africa by Nobody: 2:02pm On Apr 10, 2012
BlackLibya:

Your friend has his own personal issues with ethopians and kenyans in general do not have any problems with ethopians.why?they are very few in kenya and majority of kenyans have never met an ethopian.Kenyans have grudges with two nationalities.Somalis who are arrogant and bring in piracy money into the economy plus sponsor grenade attacks on kenyans and tanzanians who have grudges with every other east african nation as they are the stumbling block to the intergration of the EAC.Tanzanians have 'kenyaphobia' and now kenyans are starting to return the favour.
Re: Why are Africans ignorant abt Africa by Nobody: 10:11am On Apr 12, 2012
BlackLibya:
Ethiopia, the place every African seems to love to hate. I have never seen more hatred between between people than that the Kenyans have for the Ethiopians.

Really? Because I know not of any Kenyan, man or woman who has a problem with Ethiopians. Maybe your friend has had a personal encounter with them.
Re: Why are Africans ignorant abt Africa by Nobody: 10:38am On Apr 12, 2012
GERALD710:
Somalis who are arrogant and bring in piracy money into the economy plus sponsor grenade attacks on Kenyans and Tanzanians who have grudges with every other East African nation as they are the stumbling block to the integration of the EAC. Tanzanians have 'Kenyaphobia' and now Kenyans are starting to return the favour.

@ Gerald710,
I've lived in Tanzania and I can tell you for sure that it's not just 'Kenyaphobia' that Tanzanians have, but a phobia for any foreign African who passes off as aggressive, intelligent and challenging (translation - 'fluent' English speaker). They also had the same issues with my Zimbabwean and Zambian friends, who happen to be their SADC comrades. The best way to get the approval of Tanzanians is by conducting [i]your [/i]activities at [i]their [/i]pace and speaking lots and lots of Swahili. That way, they see in you a comrade, not a "superior" non-Tanzanian.

1 Like

Re: Why are Africans ignorant abt Africa by Nayah(f): 12:45pm On Apr 12, 2012
Habari honey wink
Well I partially agree sister, partially because on the one hand we have this sort of "Western fascination" that make us indirectly or not, interesting more in their news and so on, another factors is some of them are living out there or were born go to "their school" and we are tought their version about African History ( when they talk about Africa which is not always the case) it means you know more or less the culture and news!

Well on the other hand I don't know for you but from my grand parents and my parents I've been tought a lot about my culture and my roots. African History has been cut and turned by some "historians" regarding their interest, but for the majority , this is an oral History. I remember when my grand parents used to ask me to sit and talk about our people (Cameroon and Tanzania) especially in Cameroon when they've told me my village and tribe(Bassa'a) was known to be centre of warriors for our Independance, relating how French and German were different but the same at mean time and how French hated our great independance personnalities such as Ruben Um Nyobe who was the Father of our Independance and lived in our village. I mean this si really interesting, pure and quite objective because they've lived this period our History and I truly believe Africans should talk more with their parents or grand parents or any realtive who have experienced some part of our History to transmit it to us, this is our heritage.
Re: Why are Africans ignorant abt Africa by Nayah(f): 12:47pm On Apr 12, 2012
Good Girl:

@ Gerald710,
I've lived in Tanzania and I can tell you for sure that it's not just 'Kenyaphobia' that Tanzanians have, but a phobia for any foreign African who passes off as aggressive, intelligent and challenging (translation - 'fluent' English speaker). They also had the same issues with my Zimbabwean and Zambian friends, who happen to be their SADC comrades. The best way to get the approval of Tanzanians is by conducting [i]your [/i]activities at [i]their [/i]pace and speaking lots and lots of Swahili. That way, they see in you a comrade, not a "superior" non-Tanzanian.

Exactly sister good point

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nobel-winning Biologist Apologizes For Remarks About Blacks / Street Kid Who Grew Into A 'snake Man' (pictures) / Ethiopian Maid Tried To Kill Her Bosses Three Kids In United Arab Emirates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.