Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,475 members, 7,770,163 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 06:25 AM

Tips To Stay Awake While Studying - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Tips To Stay Awake While Studying (133928 Views)

Easy Ways To Stay Awake While Studying At Night (FOR STUDENTS) / How To Stay Awake While Reading / Easiest Ways To Stay Awake While Studying At Night (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tips To Stay Awake While Studying by DynamicJo(m): 1:45pm On Feb 05, 2012
Drink a Lot of Water
When you’re trying to stay awake waters the way to go. Dehydration can make you sleepy, so keeping your body hydrated will stave off those symptoms. If you are really sleepy, drink a lot of water to make sure you stay up. If you have to get up to go to the bathroom, it will definitely keep you awake! by water I don’t mean alcohol or coffee because it may contain water)

Take Breaks
Your brain is a complex thing but it still needs rest if you want to study hard for a long time as well as doing the best you can on your test. Schedule out your time so you can take a break try a study routine for 45 minutes, break for 15, and so forth. Set the alarm on your mobile so you don’t forget (or if you’re afraid you’ll fall asleep). Watch a TV show, talk to a friend, read a book, or listen to some music but nothing school related at all, even if it’s a TV show.

Exercise
Exercise can be a great way to wake yourself up take a short walk, dance to some music on your iPod (without waking up your roommates or your parents depending on where your living and the time), or head over to the gym for a little while. Taking a shower after a workout can wake you up even more (cold will wake you up but shocking the body’s never good so just a general shower). Don’t Study Somewhere Comfortable No curling up into a nice ball on your pillow with soft music playing the background will not help you stay awake, maybe heavy metal rock will but its better just to sit on a chair back straight lamp on and revise, no pillows, no comfortableness, when your body wants to sleep yet you have to fight it comfort ability should be what your actively seeking to stop.

Eat a Snack
Get your blood sugar up by eating a healthy snack (junk food will just give you a burst of energy but then you’ll crash and collapse for 7 hours, wake up and realise you didn’t do any revision). Apples are always a good food to help you keep your blood sugar stable so you can stay awake (a lot of people say they will wake you up better than caffeine and hey its also one of your 5-a-day)   

http://www.studentsatuni.co.uk/Students_should_know/Tips_to_stay_awake.shtml

1 Do your work. Plenty of times, you get sidetracked. Avoid this by setting a constant pace for yourself: 50 minutes of work, and a 10 minute break. Besides, keeping your mind occupied will make it easier to stay awake.

2 Avoid caffeine, if possible. See warnings for reasons why. Drink two brimming glasses of ice cold water every 30 minutes. Not only will the cold keep you awake, but you’ll need to urinate very often. It’s difficult to sleep on the toilet.

3 Play (softly, if you have a roommate) hardcore metal music. You may enjoy it, but it must be, at all costs, harsh and a bit arrhythmic. Try to stick to instrumental music, which is less distracting. This will keep you from being lulled to sleep.

4 Work with windows open: cold air will keep you awake. Warm air knocks you out. If you find the cold air is effective in keeping you awake, you can even go to the bathroom and wash your face with cold water. Only wash your face if you are getting tired, you don’t want to waste studying time.

5 Set your computer screen to a lower setting, (duller and darker) so as not to strain your eyes. See warnings for why not to.

6 Turn off instant messengers, your cellphone, the TV, and do not surf the Internet, edit wikiHow, read, draw, etc. In fact, pinch yourself if you do. This can distract you very easily.

7 Do not work in bed, on a couch, or on the floor. If you work in any other place than a cold, hard table and chair, you will feel very tempted to sleep. If possible, work somewhere far away from your room/bed, so it’s a pain to go back and sleep. Try to be around some other people, too, so you do not feel comfortable sleeping in your chair.

8 Set a timer, if you’re going to nap. Don’t nap for more than 20 minutes, and stay half-awake. Avoid napping at all costs, though. “Just 20 minutes of relaxation” will more likely involve you waking up past your class the next day.

9 Rotate subjects every hour, if applicable. You’ll quickly mentally wear out on one topic.

10 Work through it all. If you have time at the end, pack up your stuff, lay out your clothes, then set your alarm as late as possible, to achieve the most possible sleep.

11 Try sitting in different places around the room.

Remember: if you are tired and are completely slumping over your work, sit up straight. It could immediately make you feel more awake. Yes, it sounds stupid, but try it.

Eat protein-rich foods like sandwiches, cheese, and other dairy products. Sugary foods may make you feel awake for a little while, but can eventually make you feel drowsy. Apples or apple juice also help, especially if you eat cheese with it. Apples keep your blood sugar stable so you’re able to stay awake longer, some say they’re better than caffeine!

Think positively. Thoughts such as: “I am almost done,” “This is actually not too bad,” “I will get to see the sunrise,” “I will get a good grade” can definitely help.

Get scared. Sure, it sounds silly, but do it. Watch a horror movie or read something frightening. You’ll be too scared to fall asleep. Do not do this if there is work to be finished, though!

Tap your feet! It may seem weird, but it helps for some people to consistently tap their feet. If it becomes a habit, it might just save you from falling asleep at those final dire moments.

Chew gum. Like tapping your feet, it keeps you awake without being distracting!

Squeeze and Massage your Ears There are acupoints on your ears, and when stimulated, send electrical signals into your brain. You’ll feel buzzed immediately.

Don’t eat granola, milk or lemons. These are all foods that will make you tired and sleepy.

Always have the light on. Its hard to stay awake when your in a nice dark room.
Re: Tips To Stay Awake While Studying by code9(m): 4:02pm On Feb 10, 2012
@OP : Before i finish all these lessons, Day go don break ooh cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Tips To Stay Awake While Studying by Richchibuzor(m): 4:04pm On Feb 10, 2012
Thanks 4 ur candid advice and suggestions,i really benefited alot from it.

1 Like

Re: Tips To Stay Awake While Studying by Goshen360(m): 4:09pm On Feb 10, 2012
helpful hints. thanks
Re: Tips To Stay Awake While Studying by ChefMike(m): 4:09pm On Feb 10, 2012
All I know is that body system differs,you may take a cup of coffee and stay awake another person may take the same dose and feel sleepy.My advice is that understand your body system and take what works for you.

1 Like

Re: Tips To Stay Awake While Studying by member10: 4:32pm On Feb 10, 2012
[size=26pt]RED BULL[/size]

[size=22pt]Lots of it[/size]
Re: Tips To Stay Awake While Studying by fred2265: 4:34pm On Feb 10, 2012
Loud music works for me. However, if you are tired working and studying done often results in a poor standard achieved. You might as well use the time for a refreshing sleep and do some proper studying when you get up.

[img]http://s01.flagcounter.com/count/7uR/bg=FFFFFF/txt=FFFFFF/border=FFFFFF/columns=1/maxflags=1/viewers=3/labels=0/pageviews=0[/img][img]http://s10.flagcounter.com/count/oH/bg=FFFFFF/txt=FFFFFF/border=FFFFFF/columns=1/maxflags=1/viewers=3/labels=0/pageviews=0[/img][img]http://2.s01.flagcounter.com/count/7uR/bg=FFFFFF/txt=FFFFFF/border=FFFFFF/columns=1/maxflags=1/viewers=3/labels=0/pageviews=0[/img]
Re: Tips To Stay Awake While Studying by Nobody: 4:38pm On Feb 10, 2012
Body system differs, Some pple take coffee to keep themselves awake, As for me, music would do just fine, Listening to a music dat am not too familiar with while studying smiley

1 Like

Re: Tips To Stay Awake While Studying by babanne(m): 4:50pm On Feb 10, 2012
Good one. more of that. cool wink
Re: Tips To Stay Awake While Studying by Tnot(m): 5:22pm On Feb 10, 2012
Nice1. Tankx for shearing
Re: Tips To Stay Awake While Studying by babaowo: 6:02pm On Feb 10, 2012
colanuts & energy drinks lik redbull
Re: Tips To Stay Awake While Studying by ade101(m): 6:14pm On Feb 10, 2012
does anyone know a particular drug that can keep you awake through ,at least half ,the night. coffee isn't just workn for me.i really need to up my grade. my cgpa is slown down & by next semester i plan to so something about it, any suggestn pls.
Re: Tips To Stay Awake While Studying by delpee(f): 6:47pm On Feb 10, 2012
كلورين:

ade101:

does anyone know a particular drug that can keep you awake through ,at least half ,the night. coffee isn't just workn for me.i really need to up my grade. my cgpa is slown down & by next semester i plan to so something about it, any suggestn pls.

Please learn to stay awake naturally. Make good use of the hints given above. Too much caffeine and energy drinks are bad for the body. Read about them in health journals online like Web MD.

Drugs? Absolute no no! I remember students who went crazy during exams in my undergraduate days presumably after taking drugs. Be consistent from the beginning of the session/semester and you wont need to do crash program at exam time.
Re: Tips To Stay Awake While Studying by slimshady1(m): 6:49pm On Feb 10, 2012
@op, thnx a billion. LEARNT ALOT. amma try them in sch. Cheers
Re: Tips To Stay Awake While Studying by Davidbanky(m): 7:11pm On Feb 10, 2012
Thanks,sincce coffee doesn't work,maybe dis will
Re: Tips To Stay Awake While Studying by GboyegaD(m): 7:25pm On Feb 10, 2012
Thank you so much. I will apply this and I hope it works for me. If it does, then na awuf 4pts per semester for me be that.
Re: Tips To Stay Awake While Studying by Nobody: 7:37pm On Feb 10, 2012
Browse thru nairaland.com/romance.section before reading and you will stay awake throughout.
Re: Tips To Stay Awake While Studying by ortopazz(m): 8:19pm On Feb 10, 2012
I savd the paged! Homie at first u made go xtra! Nw thatz iz on n.l iz much bera!
Re: Tips To Stay Awake While Studying by Thespecialone(m): 8:47pm On Feb 10, 2012
Start reading the day school resumes and you would not have to be stressing yourself when exams are around the corner. As for staying awake, try to understand your body system and work accordingly.
Re: Tips To Stay Awake While Studying by ariyebaba(m): 9:13pm On Feb 10, 2012
CHEWING GUM

smiley wink cheesy grin angry sad shocked cool tongue embarassed lipsrsealed undecided kiss cry
Re: Tips To Stay Awake While Studying by Ifesia: 9:14pm On Feb 10, 2012
Thanks man have got to try it now
Re: Tips To Stay Awake While Studying by poweredcom(m): 10:08pm On Feb 10, 2012
well you did not say Blow a stick of [b]WEED[/b]dats gonna keep your eyes, open, till day break
Re: Tips To Stay Awake While Studying by manny4life(m): 10:19pm On Feb 10, 2012
كلورين:

Add coffee as well
Re: Tips To Stay Awake While Studying by kudumopol(m): 10:33pm On Feb 10, 2012
Re: Tips To Stay Awake While Studying by dabrake(m): 11:16pm On Feb 10, 2012
Music works for me whenever i wanna solve maths/statistics or i wanna program(infact, my love for the 3 will always chase sleep) if na 'read-read'? I'ld soak my thick sweater and a jean in water by 10pm, take a 2hr nap till 12am. When i wake up, i'ld brush my teeth, take a bath, wear the soaked cloth(if your body can't withstand pneumonia, don't wear the cloth oh. Others will work) and turn on the fan. Sleep don disappear be that.

1 Like

Re: Tips To Stay Awake While Studying by Chinyxboy(m): 12:30am On Feb 11, 2012
Great post. For me, staying awake while reading takes alot of self conduct (descipline). There are some students that can't read up to 2hours on a stretch. While some can read up to 5hours without stopping for even a rest.

We are all different in our own ways. The general truth is to understand yourself very well. Do not compare yourself to some one who could read for 5hours without stopping if you can only afford to read for 2hours. Don't force yourself to read when you are tired. You are likely to remember 5% of what you read when you're tired. Get a rest, stol arround, eat well and be nice to your body.
Take care!
Re: Tips To Stay Awake While Studying by Nobody: 12:45am On Feb 11, 2012
ChefMike:

All I know is that body system differs,you may take a cup of coffee and stay awake another person may take the same dose and feel sleepy.My advice is that understand your body system and take what works for you.
GBAM!! Body sys really differs,
Thespecialone:

Start reading the day school resumes and you would not have to be stressing yourself when exams are around the corner. As for staying awake, try to understand your body system and work accordingly.
U're right 200%
ariyebaba:

CHEWING GUM

smiley wink cheesy grin angry sad shocked cool tongue embarassed lipsrsealed undecided kiss cry
Gosh! I would'nt advise or encourage anyone 2 try dis. I pulled out a tooth barely a month ago after tryin dis
Re: Tips To Stay Awake While Studying by Nobody: 12:50am On Feb 11, 2012
code9:

@OP : Before i finish all these lessons, Day go don break ooh cheesy
Lol. D race is nt jst 4 d swift, ~, To be a scholar is nt a day job
Re: Tips To Stay Awake While Studying by AfroBlue(m): 4:24am On Feb 11, 2012
@ Op

Great thread and valuable info. Much respect.

I used to study with a fellow classmate from the Congo via phone until late into the night. We would review notes, read the lessons and quiz each other until sleep over took us.

How to Study

http://www.wikihow.com/Study
Re: Tips To Stay Awake While Studying by 2tek: 6:42am On Feb 11, 2012
starting ur reading as soon as d school resumes is good but it is better u start even b4 d school resumes.if u'r in 200 level for example,try nd get someone in 300 level who wl provide u wt their materials to photocopy.when on holiday/break nd b4 resuming for d next semester or maybe during ASUU strike,u would'v gone very far reading d materials.so wen school resumes,its revision all d way nd there won't b much pressure trying to force urself 2 read.while in school nd u want to read at night,try nd take a few hours nap/sleep during d day especially in d evening.

1 Like

Re: Tips To Stay Awake While Studying by lastpage: 7:20am On Feb 11, 2012
@ade 101

There is no "short-cut" to the top of a Palm Tree!

*Nothing beats "long term preparation".
*Start the school year like the exam is next week!
*Read everything you're taught in class every day, on that same evening.
*Be consistent in your study hours (set a particular time in the evening to revise). Darw-Up a Study Time Table from Day 1.
*Get plenty of sleep, skip T.V or Browsing the internet (Social Browsing as against academic browsing). Skip Nairaland as well! wink
*Avoid eating "Heavy Food" before studying, it makes you tired and sleepy by drawing blood away from the BRAIN, to the stomach area, to aid the "digestion effort".
*You dont need any drugs to stay awake, if you feel sleepy, please do catch a small one hour Nap (set an alarm). One hour sleep can keep you refresh for the next 6hours. Sleep is your body's natural response to tiredness/fatigue.

You will do your grades and your health, more harm by depriving your body of needed sleep.

Reminds me of a colleague that indulges in "marathon rigour" in our University days. Nemesis caught up with him on the day of one of his last exams; HIS BRAIN WENT COMPLETELY BLANK AND HE APPEARS INCOHERENT! Peeps even thought he's gone mad! shocked shocked

Has it ever occurred to anyone that the really brilliant students (1st class materials) dont read as much as the "strugglers"? WHY??

Answer: The rest well and when they read a little, IT STICKS IN THEIR HEAD! wink wink tongue tongue

Lastpage!

Now, l am off to sleep again grin grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

OAU Admission For The Year 2011/2012 / 2014/2015 Direct Entry Admission, University Of Ibadan / Federal Government Scholarship 2016/2017 Exam Updates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.