Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:28 AM

Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) (18986 Views)

Urgent Help Needed My Car Is Missing / NISSIAN INFINTY QX4 IS OVERHEATING PLEASE HELP / My Car Is Overheating (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by MaxyBrown(m): 8:00am On Feb 10, 2012
Change your radiator to double cell radiator. I did that when my car that issue last year. Today, overheating is the least of my worries even when I travel with AC. best of luck
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by JimmyBoy1: 8:26am On Feb 10, 2012
The first thing you should do is to scan the car,doing otherwise will make you waste money because mechanics will keep telling you this and that.
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by norrisman: 8:29am On Feb 10, 2012
Thank God for Europe o. I remember back in Naija, when mechanics, 'rewire', panel beaters, 'forganiser' and battery chargers were amongst my friends on first name basis. Every Saturday was the same damn thing! If it wasnt the '82 504, it was the '79 505. If it wasnt overheating, it wasnt do 'slow running'. There was always something to make me go and spend my entire Saturday at the Mechanic village.

Thank God for small mercies.
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by IYANGBALI: 9:08am On Feb 10, 2012
sell am take the money buy cooler
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by onome25(m): 9:22am On Feb 10, 2012
to my little experience on engine, i guess u got to invite a good mechanic & tell him to examine properly the TOP CYLINDER. some time when there is space in between the TOP CYLINDER do resort to over heating( which can be filled ) OR the fan blade might be bad & needs replacement OR the radiator is swollen due to excess of the over heating.
It.s simple to tackle over heating problem when mechanic is specific on all the things i mention above.
AGAIN:
1. TOP CYLINDER IS BENT
2. SWOLLEN RADIATOR
3. FAN BLADE
4. WATER PUMP
5. HORSE
Note:- if ur mechanic tells u that all this are still good then , there might b mixture of oil & water due to the over heating & this might cause a HOLE in ur BLOCK ENGINE if not noticed on time tnx.
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by onome25(m): 9:26am On Feb 10, 2012
IYA NGBALI:

GUY FUNNY O, i no fit shout
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by pak: 10:31am On Feb 10, 2012
Ikenna351:

No. It has noting to do with "coolant used in filling the radiator" only,like you said. The rust in the cooling system that affected the water pump shaft and broke the blade was as a result of water you were using. The owner's car manual instruct: USE COOLANT ONLY (instructions in most vehicle owners manual). Coolant is a 50:50 mixture of antifreeze & water. You can only find Coolant in Nigeria, not Antifreeze. So the coolant in Nigerian markets have already been mixed: water & antfreeze. So mixing coolant and water again is a waste of resources. You either use only coolant or you dont. Excess water in the system causes rust in the system & corrodes the engine walls, which would later someday blow up the engine Cylinder head gasket.

I would advice you to stop using the ABRO Coolant. So many fake in the Nigerian markets. TOTAL coolant is good. Thats what i use. It cost N350.00 a litre. Also, mind you, if you do not close the radiator cap well or if the seal on the cap has worn, the system/engine would overheat for various reasons.

Ikenna.

I have not had cause to fill my radiator since I bought the car two years back but recently the hose leaked and I fixed it but after fixing the hose it was filled back with just WATER.
Please have I done something wrong ?
and what are the effects of using just water ?
and how do I rectify the problem ? drain the radiator and refill with coolant, I guess ?
by the way, the car is a 2003 honda accord
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by Wylout: 10:34am On Feb 10, 2012
IYA NGBALI:

You no nice at all!!! lol
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by Wylout: 10:38am On Feb 10, 2012
onome25:

to my little experience on engine, i guess u got to invite a good mechanic & tell him to examine properly the TOP CYLINDER. some time when there is space in between the TOP CYLINDER do resort to over heating( which can be filled ) OR the fan blade might be bad & needs replacement OR the radiator is swollen due to excess of the over heating.
It.s simple to tackle over heating problem when mechanic is specific on all the things i mention above.
AGAIN:
1. TOP CYLINDER IS BENT
2. SWOLLEN RADIATOR
3. FAN BLADE
4. WATER PUMP
5. HORSE
Note:- if ur mechanic tells u that all this are still good then , there might b mixture of oil & water due to the over heating & this might cause a HOLE in ur BLOCK ENGINE if not noticed on time tnx.

@ Onome
The water pump was the cause of my cars fever!!!
However i need to fill my radiator with Total Coolant so it does not have typhoid.
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by Ikenna351(m): 10:43am On Feb 10, 2012
pak:

I have not had cause to fill my radiator since I bought the car two years back but recently the hose leaked and I fixed it but after fixing the hose it was filled back with just WATER.
Please have I done something wrong ?
and what are the effects of using just water ?
and how do I rectify the problem ? drain the radiator and refill with coolant, I guess ?
by the way, the car is a 2003 honda accord

You already have the answer in your questions. Drain the damn water & refill only with coolant for improvement in engine fuel economy and long engine lifespan. Period. Depending on your car's size of cooling system, it might take upto 5 0r 7 litres of coolant to fill up. So it might cost you upto 2k coolant to fill up.

Ikenna.
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by Ikenna351(m): 10:51am On Feb 10, 2012
Wylout:

@ Ikenna the cylinder would go?

Mine was replace today and from the auto mechanics workshop to my house with ac turned on its still at the lower half of the temp. gauge--

If I would understand this post, you mean the engine is now running too cold after fixing the water pump? If that is the case, its obvious that they must have removed the thermostat when the car was having overheating issue right? It would also be certain that they must have bypassed and connected the electric radiator cooling fan(s) to be spinning constantly as soon as the ignition is switched on right? If the two evils mentioned have been done on your cooling system, then your engine is heading to doom.

Ikenna.
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by BIGDAY1(f): 11:14am On Feb 10, 2012
OGA i was once using this nisssan i can link up wth my mechanic just pk k you pay for consultancy fees i link up or you send a card of 1000
ola

1 Like

Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by pak: 11:16am On Feb 10, 2012
Thanks Ikenna,

I'll do that as soon as I can
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by Wylout: 11:19am On Feb 10, 2012
@ Ikenna

None of the evils you mentioned was done.
If my mechanic had done that and i came online to see ya post----the guy would have been in big trouble.

Thank you very much-----though your posts are scary!!!
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by Ikenna351(m): 11:27am On Feb 10, 2012
Wylout:

@ Ikenna

None of the evils you mentioned was done.
If my mechanic had done that and i came online to see ya post----the guy would have been in big trouble.

Thank you very much-----though your posts are scary!!!

Because i want you to be scared, for you to start taking care of your car yourself. With that, you will be more careful with a clown you give your car to fix for you. At least, you start instructing them on the no go areas or dos & donts in your car. Otherwise, they will end up grounding that car for good for you. Sorry if sounded too scary , though. But its better to be scared than to live in Nightmares in the hands of the clowns.

Ikenna.
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by Lexusgs430: 11:28am On Feb 10, 2012
BIG DAY:

OGA  i was once using this nisssan i can link up wth my mechanic just pk k you pay for consultancy fees i link up or you send a card of 1000
ola

A payment for hooking a brother - in - need up with a mechanic ? I wonder what you would charge, if you were hooking a brother - in - need up to bid for a multi - million naira contract
SMH in disgust !!!!!!!
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by femionasan(m): 11:47am On Feb 10, 2012
@ Op i actually had the same issue with the same car a while back and it was the water pump that was the culprit. I definitely have learnt a lot in this thread cos i usually put water in my radiator but first thing tomorrow morning i am draining it all and putting the TOTAL coolant. Meanwhile i need help regarding my transmission, from first to second gear there is a smooth change but from second to the third, the car revs depending on how hard i am accelerating before engaging the third gear. I have taken the car for a full scan and the computer did not see any faults in the transmission. Please can someone help me cos i am at a dilemma as to what action to take next or rather i have decided to switch ATF and change the transmission filter. I dont know if there will be an improvement after this.
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by Lexusgs430: 11:54am On Feb 10, 2012
femionasan:

@ Op i actually had the same issue with the same car a while back and it was the water pump that was the culprit. I definitely have learnt a lot in this thread cos i usually put water in my radiator but first thing tomorrow morning i am draining it all and putting the TOTAL coolant. Meanwhile i need help regarding my transmission, from first to second gear there is a smooth change but from second to the third, the car revs depending on how hard i am accelerating before engaging the third gear. I have taken the car for a full scan and the computer did not see any faults in the transmission. Please can someone help me cos i am at a dilemma as to what action to take next or rather i have decided to switch ATF and change the transmission filter. I dont know if there will be an improvement after this.

Sounds like your transmission is sliping.
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by femionasan(m): 11:57am On Feb 10, 2012
Actually the slip and the TCS OFF light come on occasionally. Is there a solution to this problem?
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by Ikenna351(m): 12:09pm On Feb 10, 2012
While you guys are draining & refilling water with coolant in the cooling system, make sure you remove airpockets after doing so, to avoid airlocks. Airlock in the system will terribly overheat the engine. Siena has explained/guided how to bleed cooling system in the first page of this thread. Refer back.

Ikenna.
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by nissparts(m): 12:20pm On Feb 10, 2012
femionasan:

Actually the slip and the TCS OFF light come on occasionally. Is there a solution to this problem?

You've got transmission flare.
Possible solutions from easy to complex

Fluid change
Filter
Speed sensor
TCM
Valve body

If you get the occasional lighting up of the TCS/SLIP lights, it's hard to believe you do not have a CEL.
Are you certain the bulb for your CEL hasnt been removed?
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by Wylout: 12:21pm On Feb 10, 2012
@ Ikenna

No worry for that one-----

I read about my car online on most nissan forums.

Was thinking of an upgrade but complaints of the 2003-2006 maximas were just too much. I'll rather do some modifications on my existing one.
Maybe a new paint job, grilles, led halo headlights, in-dash dvd

Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by femionasan(m): 12:55pm On Feb 10, 2012
nissparts:

You've got transmission flare.
Possible solutions from easy to complex

Fluid change
Filter
Speed sensor
TCM
Valve body

If you get the occasional lighting up of the TCS/SLIP lights, it's hard to believe you do not have a CEL.
Are you certain the bulb for your CEL hasnt been removed?

My CEL light had always been on even before the transmission issue occurred and when the whole vehicle was scanned, it was the O2 sensor that caused that. The person that scanned the car for me actually went to into the transmission but no problem was recorded. I plan on changing the Fluid and the filter tomorrow and see how that goes. Hopefully that will resolve it. Fingers crossed.
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by nissparts(m): 1:01pm On Feb 10, 2012
Do you know what code(s) you currently have?
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by femionasan(m): 1:10pm On Feb 10, 2012
nissparts:

Do you know what code(s) you currently have?

P0110 and P1650
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by akpan123(m): 1:30pm On Feb 10, 2012
QUESTIONS
1. what happen before your car start over heating.

2. is there any leakage of water.

3. is there any oil in the radiateaur

4. does your car jerk when it is overheating

5. how does the brake system feels , when your car is overheating.

solution.

1. check and make sure ,there is no leakage.

2. you may have air in your block,

3. check your themoster and water pump, and sensor, use and experience mechanic.

4.check the hose that connects to your radiateur , both up and down connection.

Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by nissparts(m): 1:35pm On Feb 10, 2012
femionasan:

P0110 and P1650

Hmm, I have seen IATs affect transmission before although not flaring.
Go through your planned route first and let's see what happens
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by Princek12(m): 1:50pm On Feb 10, 2012
Replace the thermostat, for that may be the problem.
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by femionasan(m): 3:06pm On Feb 10, 2012
nissparts:

Hmm, I have seen IATs affect transmission before although not flaring.
Go through your planned route first and let's see what happens

Will update as soon as its done.
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by sleekman(m): 3:31pm On Feb 10, 2012
Nigerians have a very poor maintenance culture. To everyone who reads this, drives a car, owns a car or intends owning one this is for you. Nigerians have this notion that some cars are problematic, this is not true. All cars usually have problems either with the engine, gear box, axle, cooling system, electrical system etc. It is essential to read the car's manual when u purchase it and it's also important you get the service manual too. For most common cars the service manual hard copy can be purchased online. U can also get the soft copy too. You can download free copies of your car's service manual at this website http://www.onlinefreeebooks.net/
For most cars that are made with a brain box that is cars created from 1998 till date then you require a computer, interface and interface software to diagnose any fault that might arise with your car. If you can't do this yourself then hire a diagnostic mechanic to get this done instead of guess work usually employed my most technicians. The more the guess work the more complex your vehicles problem gets in future.
Secondly, As soon as u start hearing noises while driving then u should be able to tell from what part of the vehicle that noise is coming from. If it's something you can easily fix then fix it. If it isn't then visit a diagnostic technician and fetch d fault before proceeding for repairs. If you do not have the money to fix d car then park it till u have the money to fix the car. Adopting this maintenance culture ensures that your expenses are minimal at all times.
Having the service manual and studying it ensures that
1. u can't be reaped off as it's d culture of Nigerian mechanics to &
2. U have a fair idea of what went wrong and what needs to be fixed.
I'll give an example, Mercedes Benz S-Class 2000 model is one of the best luxury car there is out there. It's torque, stability, aero-dynamism is superb. It's what we'll call Eshin. The problem with the car is the Airmatic system. It has no normal shocks but air shocks. That model's shocks are so problematic that you'll regret driving the car. There are 2 ways of fixing that problem
1. is study the airmatic system so that you know whats wrong, if its the valves, the air pump, air baloon, piping etc
2. Converting the shocks to manual shocks.

So you see study your car the way you study your wife , em or is it the other way round for some folkssmiley

Back to the poster please go download a copy of your car's repair manual from http://www.onlinefreeebooks.net/ if its available and get in touch with a diagnostic technician. In your case I'm suspecting a couple of cases
1. Fuse to the fan is bad
2. Something is wrong around d wires
3. Water Pump
4. Overheating has affected d gasket
5. Radiator/hose is leaking
Just a few that comes to mind right now.

For those of you in the habit of removing the thermostat from your vehicles please desist from that act because you're compounding your problem. Your problem is fixed now but doomsday is postpostponed.
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by Wallie(m): 3:32pm On Feb 10, 2012
Here's a trick that most people do not know -

When your car is overheating and you need to keep driving, turn on the heater (full blast) to temporarily cool the engine. DO NOT TURN ON THE AC.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lagos Installs More Cameras To Track Vehicle Certificates, Road Worthiness / Best Car To Buy As A First Car: Car Buying Tips For First Time Buyers / 10 Tips For Driving Inside The Rain

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.