Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,139 members, 7,814,993 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:00 AM

Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) (18987 Views)

Urgent Help Needed My Car Is Missing / NISSIAN INFINTY QX4 IS OVERHEATING PLEASE HELP / My Car Is Overheating (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by ikeyman00(m): 9:02pm On Feb 10, 2012
@@@@@@

but classs emm biko one question

i seen people that claimed to have driven without thermostart for nearly ten years [size=28pt]without any issue[/size]

is this really emm for real lol?

nl that has been driving without thermostart could u help out plz
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by Wallie(m): 9:51pm On Feb 10, 2012
ikeyman00:

@@@@@@

but classs emm biko one question

i seen people that claimed to have driven without thermostart for nearly ten years [size=28pt]without any issue[/size]

is this really emm for real lol?

nl that has been driving without thermostart could u help out plz

I think it is possible especially if you have an older car. Think about what a thermostat does in a car. It lets the car know if the engine is running too hot or too cold based on which the ECU (computer) will take appropriate action. I would think that if you hardwire the cooling fan "always on" and your car does not have other issues that will cause it to overheat, you will be fine.

But the day your car overheats, the ECU won’t be able to protect the engine because it won’t know and your engine will just completely pafuka. :-)
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by Wallie(m): 9:56pm On Feb 10, 2012
^^^ I forgot to add a disclaimer that I'm not a mechanic but it doesn't take one to talk about how a car works. Turning a wrench on the other hand get as e be. grin
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by ambyzown(m): 10:23pm On Feb 10, 2012
Wylout:

Was thinking of an upgrade but complaints of the 2003-2006 maximas were just too much. I'll rather do some modifications on my existing one.
Maybe a new paint job, grilles, led halo headlights, in-dash dvd

@Wylout: Be sure to invite me to come take a look after your modifications. grin grin grin

Wallie:

I think it is possible especially if you have an older car. Think about what a thermostat does in a car. It lets the car know if the engine is running too hot or too cold based on which the ECU (computer) will take appropriate action. I would think that if you hardwire the cooling fan "always on" and your car does not have other issues that will cause it to overheat, you will be fine.

But the day your car overheats, the ECU won’t be able to protect the engine because it won’t know and your engine will just completely pafuka. :-)

I guess you are confusing the thermostat with the temperature sensor
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by Wylout: 10:44pm On Feb 10, 2012
Wait oh!!!! Na my topic dey front page?

@ ambyzown---The pic i uploaded was from 'nissparts' of nairaland.
I've read up on the in-dash touchscreen system, the smoky side lights and the halo led lights----but the grilles--i'm not sure how that one will be installed.

Was reading about cold air intake and plenty other things but right now----na only small modding i want do!!! cheesy
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by ambyzown(m): 10:58pm On Feb 10, 2012
femionasan:

P0110 and P1650

Are you sure about the P1650? Because I don't think it's a DTC that is applicable to your maxima. I can't even find it in the FSM.

Wylout:

Wait oh!!!! Na my topic dey front page?

@ ambyzown---The pic i uploaded was from 'nissparts' of nairaland.
I've read up on the in-dash touchscreen system, the smoky side lights and the halo led lights----but the grilles--i'm not sure how that one will be installed.

Was reading about cold air intake and plenty other things but right now----na only small modding i want do!!! cheesy

No problem. I'm just so indecisive about modding, so need to see what someone else has done, so as to get "liver" to try it myself.
As for that nissparts guy, that bobo want make person go thief. I've promised myself that whenever I'm in Lag again I must visit his shop if not to buy anything, but at least to feed my eyes.
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by Wylout: 11:03pm On Feb 10, 2012
@ ambyzown

me wey dey lagos here neva get time go see the guy sef!!!!

I really need holiday
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by cardoctor(m): 11:15pm On Feb 10, 2012
Have you checked the cooling fan electrics to make sure that they come on at the right time? Do you use the air conditioner while driving and do both of the fans come on as well? Have u done a pressure test on the cooling system to acertain if there is any leakage in the radiator? There is also a radiator under the dashboard which is usually called the heater matrix. If this is still connected to the cooling circuit, check for leakage of coolant within the cabin under the dashboard. Are the carpets wet either on the driver side or passengers?
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by Wallie(m): 12:13am On Feb 11, 2012
ambyzown:

@Wylout: Be sure to invite me to come take a look after your modifications. grin grin grin

I guess you are confusing the thermostat with the temperature sensor

Hmmm, I don't think so. What do you mean "temperature sensor"? Are you referring to the temperature sensor for the outside (ambient) air? If yes, that provides a different function. I think that functions with the automatic climate control and the temperature that you see displayed on the dash. The sensor is probably somewhere around your front bumper.

The thermostat is what controls the temperature of the engine by letting the ECU know when to ask for more cooling or less cooling. When your engine is very cold, the thermostat tells the ECU to minimize the coolant going to the engine so that the engine can get up to ideal operating temperature but when the engine is too hot, the thermostat lets the ECU know to increase cooling to the engine.

If you just bypass the thermostat, you can simply just tell the ECU to always cool the engine or never cool the engine (add voltage to the wire connecting to the ECU or make it zero volts). People even connect a switch to the interior of the car to manually control cooling. I know this because that’s what you do in a racecar.
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by ambyzown(m): 10:57am On Feb 11, 2012
@Wallie: You definitely have them mixed up. The Thermostat is a purely mechanical device with no electrical connections whatsoever. Its purpose in the engine is to regulate the flow of coolant so as to ensure that the engine operates at its optimal temperature.
See the pictures below.

Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by ambyzown(m): 11:02am On Feb 11, 2012
The temperature sensor (ECTS) on the other hand monitors engine coolant temperature and sends this information to the ECU.
See Picture below.

Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by femionasan(m): 4:11pm On Feb 12, 2012
Unfortunately after changing my filter in my transmission and using Dextron III ATF, my transmission still flares. I dont know what do and i will not allow anyone touch my transmission unless the fault causing the issue is found. No trial and error in this case. I will keep using it until a solution is found.
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by Wallie(m): 5:29pm On Feb 12, 2012
ambyzown:

The temperature sensor (ECTS) on the other hand monitors engine coolant temperature and sends this information to the ECU.
See Picture below.

+1 You're right!

When you said temperature sensor I thought you were refering to the one to check ambient air but I also didn't know that the engine had a seperate Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor. Either way, I was wrong/mixed up! I still have a lot to learn:-)
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by Wallie(m): 5:31pm On Feb 12, 2012
@ambyzown

Are the pages you attached from a Bentley manual?
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by sultaan(m): 5:57pm On Feb 12, 2012
femionasan:

Unfortunately after changing my filter in my transmission and using Dextron III ATF, my transmission still flares. I dont know what do and i will not allow anyone touch my transmission unless the fault causing the issue is found. No trial and error in this case. I will keep using it until a solution is found.

If it was black before you changed it drain and refill at first drain you only changed 30% of fluids
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by ambyzown(m): 8:05pm On Feb 12, 2012
@Wallie: We are all learning new things everyday my brother.
The pictures are from my 2000-2001 Nissan Maxima Service Manual.
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by bong4(m): 10:12pm On Feb 12, 2012
Please oh. Not sounding naive here. What do u guys call water pump in this caseof over heating cos i need to know this things to be abreast of this mechanics and their antics. Someone should help me explain it.
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by Nobody: 10:59pm On Feb 12, 2012
A 2000 Max water pump. Guess this was what Wylout came up with.

Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by Wylout: 5:29pm On Feb 13, 2012
Costee:

A 2000 Max water pump. Guess this was what Wylout came up with.

@ Costee

Both pumps look like my own oh!!! grin Hope you did not remove my new pump just to upload here on nl----lol.
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by Wallie(m): 6:25pm On Feb 13, 2012
bong4:

Please oh. Not sounding naive here. What do u guys call water pump in this caseof over heating cos i need to know this things to be abreast of this mechanics and their antics. Someone should help me explain it.

Water pump

http://www.partsdrive.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/18577/s/water-pump/

Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by Nobody: 6:38pm On Feb 13, 2012
Wylout:

@ Costee

Both pumps look like my own oh!!! grin Hope you did not remove my new pump just to upload here on nl----lol.

Damn right pal. I did more than surreptitiously remove the new one from your car, I went after the discarded one in the refuse bin. Well, we had to show bong4 what a water pump looked like, and how not it should look. grin
Re: Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) by bong4(m): 8:15pm On Feb 14, 2012
This is very educative!!!!!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lagos Installs More Cameras To Track Vehicle Certificates, Road Worthiness / Best Car To Buy As A First Car: Car Buying Tips For First Time Buyers / 10 Tips For Driving Inside The Rain

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.