Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,989 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:10 AM

Igbo Culture And Quest For Landed Property - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Culture And Quest For Landed Property (4817 Views)

East African Coast | Culture And People / The Importance Attached To The 2nd Child(orlu) In Igbo Culture. / Showcasing Igbo culture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo Culture And Quest For Landed Property by Abagworo(m): 4:08pm On Feb 07, 2012
While it is often wrong to assume a majority in an issue that is yet to be statistically proven, I still feel guilty enough to pour out what I feel about Igbos as an Igbo man.

Is there any part of our original culture which attributes so much importance to property acquisition? I ask this because I have no knowledge of any history of Igbos conquering other people and taking over their land.

I am quite guilty of this land acquisition and I'm now having a rethink. In my office, we have several ethnic groups and amongst all of us only the Igbo ones have acquired more than one property in Port Harcourt and we are neither the highest earning nor the richest. I think if Igbos really want to be at peace with their host communities, they should channel this borrowed land acquisition culture to their various home towns.
Re: Igbo Culture And Quest For Landed Property by aljharem(m): 5:32pm On Feb 07, 2012
Abagworo:

While it is often wrong to assume a majority in an issue that is yet to be statistically proven, I still feel guilty enough to pour out what I feel about Igbos as an Igbo man.

Is there any part of our original culture which attributes so much importance to property acquisition? I ask this because I have no knowledge of any history of Igbos conquering other people and taking over their land.

I am quite guilty of this land acquisition and I'm now having a rethink. In my office, we have several ethnic groups and amongst all of us only the Igbo ones have acquired more than one property in Port Harcourt and we are neither the highest earning nor the richest. I think if Igbos really want to be at peace with their host communities, they should channel this borrowed land acquisition culture to their various home towns.

Hmmmmm

I just want to correct something

during Arochukwu expansionism they took over part of Ibibio land in present day Abia. Arochukwu is a clan in Igbo.

Also it the problem is not only with Igbos but with all Nigerians
Re: Igbo Culture And Quest For Landed Property by ChinenyeN(m): 5:34pm On Feb 07, 2012
Abagworo:

Is there any part of our original culture which attributes so much importance to property acquisition?
I don't believe you should be thinking in such a manner, because in the span of a single century, things have drastically changed. We don't really live traditionally anymore. In fact, I doubt most of us today even know 10% of the "original culture". So, if I were to be straightforward, it doesn't make sense to attribute property acquisition to "original culture".

Instead, you should be thinking in terms of business, wealth and commodity. In traditional society, the highest commodity was yam. The commodity value of yam was in fact so high that cultural emphasis was placed on its acquisition. We can see this emphasis in the extensive vocabulary we have for all things yam-related and even in the existence of yam-related personal names. That all changed during colonialism, when we began interacting more with Europeans. It is at this point that we begin to learn the commodity value of land/property itself, which, for the most part, had traditionally been regarded as communal.

So with that in mind, considering the acclaimed 'business-mindedness' of Igbo people, we should have no problems understanding clearly the logic behind all of this.

Long story short, the point of business is to build wealth. One builds wealth by acquiring commodities.
Land/Property = Commodity = Wealth (i.e. Land/Property = Wealth)

It is simple, linear logic. It's strictly business, and it is an investment.

Abagworo:

I think if Igbos really want to be at peace with their host communities, they should channel this borrowed land acquisition culture to their various home towns.
First of all, I think you're worrying unnecessarily about "being at peace with host communities". Secondly, land/property acquisition in one's own hometown typically doesn't happen, and even in the event that it does, it's simply bad business. Land/property acquisition outside of one's indigenous group makes much more sense.
Re: Igbo Culture And Quest For Landed Property by AndreUweh(m): 7:32pm On Feb 07, 2012
There is nothing wrong in landed property. Most of the world's billionaires do not have much cash but landed properties.
Re: Igbo Culture And Quest For Landed Property by odumchi: 5:18am On Feb 08, 2012
Abagworo, most of this "reverence for land" is as old as our people itself. In Igboland, land is the dearest commodity because land meant that one's family or household had been established. With land, you can raise families, build houses, farm yam, harvest palm fruits, produce wine, manufacture palm oil and etc.

However today, land is mostly used for construction or just family establishment. Back then and today, the amount of land one has in a community also reflects that person's status and importance.
Re: Igbo Culture And Quest For Landed Property by Abagworo(m): 7:13am On Feb 08, 2012
odumchi:

Abagworo, most of this "reverence for land" is as old as our people itself. In Igboland, land is the dearest commodity because land meant that one's family or household had been established. With land, you can raise families, build houses, farm yam, harvest palm fruits, produce wine, manufacture palm oil and etc.

However today, land is mostly used for construction or just family establishment. Back then and today, the amount of land one has in a community also reflects that person's status and importance.

I think this aspect of land you discussed is almost universal to every culture but what I mean is this. I for example acquired landed properties in places that I don't have use for them. I did that as a store of wealth. I noticed too that most of my Igbo friends are guilty of same while my non-Igbo friends only buy landed properties where they either want to live or do business making them own maximum of 2 landed properties. I think we have developed a culture of referencing landed properties as the major mark of success to an extent that an Igbo will rather trek to work than to buy a car. He would rather go off town with the car money and acquire a cheap land.
Re: Igbo Culture And Quest For Landed Property by ifyalways(f): 9:37am On Feb 08, 2012
Abagworo dash me 1 of ur virgin lands,biko?

@Topic,willing buyer + willing seller = Perfect Market.
I like to believe that for as long as Igbo's exist,a man's wealth is measured by the size of his barn,number and size of his farmlands,size of his obi,chieftancy title(s) and disposition of wife(ves).
As an ada and a young girl,my dad drummed into my ears the importance of landed properties,ala mbu m zuru,o tinyere m ego iji gwo ugwo ya.Cars,jewelrries and most frivolities depreciate,land(ed) properties appreciate.

Btw,this is not an Igbo thing.More of an individual thing and cuts across all tribes.
Re: Igbo Culture And Quest For Landed Property by thehunted(m): 11:24am On Feb 08, 2012
threads about ibos make front page easily. mukina, why?
Re: Igbo Culture And Quest For Landed Property by slyopez(m): 11:34am On Feb 08, 2012
thehunted:

threads about ibos make front page easily. mukina, why?
Igbo nation is not in equality with any other tribe in Nigeria, we too much, so gba felu oso ebea biko!!!
Re: Igbo Culture And Quest For Landed Property by Real247: 11:35am On Feb 08, 2012
Land acquisition is not particular to the igbos. Any right thinking individual now should acquire one as fast as possible. Even church now advice their members to buy land.
Re: Igbo Culture And Quest For Landed Property by JFKLondon: 11:36am On Feb 08, 2012
Igbo and land acquisition are synonomous.  No important igbo man today who has no land as it is a cultural thing that started long time imo river.  if you don't need your own, please feel free to contact me so that i can increase the ones i already have.  It is not car, ship or G.Wagon, it is LAND, ALA
Re: Igbo Culture And Quest For Landed Property by JFKLondon: 11:37am On Feb 08, 2012
Igbo and land acquisition are synonomous.  No important igbo man today who has no land as it is a cultural thing that started long time imo river.  if you don't need your own, please feel free to contact me so that i can increase the ones i already have.  It is not car, ship or G.Wagon, it is LAND, ALA
Re: Igbo Culture And Quest For Landed Property by slyopez(m): 11:55am On Feb 08, 2012
Iko
Re: Igbo Culture And Quest For Landed Property by ektbear: 12:00pm On Feb 08, 2012
Higher historical population density and the accompanying land scarcity has ingrained in you a higher valuation of it?

I dunno.
Re: Igbo Culture And Quest For Landed Property by ektbear: 12:02pm On Feb 08, 2012
For me personally, i've always viewed stocks/bonds as a better place to store wealth. More liquid, less wahala converting it into cash, making moves with it.

Also, if a land/building is empty and you are not earning rent from it, then you aren't maximizing the value of your investment.
Re: Igbo Culture And Quest For Landed Property by EzeCanada: 12:12pm On Feb 08, 2012
Yes the Igbo culture just like the Jewish culture encourages land acquisition. Little wonder the Jews own almost 80% of real estate in major cities around the would, New York, Toronto, Washington etc. Igbo's own over 80% of real estate in Abuja, Lagos and not surprisingly, Port Harcourt

It runs in the gene and blood. To know why Ndi Igbo and Jews share similarities visit

www.igbofriendsofisrael.com
Re: Igbo Culture And Quest For Landed Property by promire2004(f): 12:31pm On Feb 08, 2012
Abagworo:

I think this aspect of land you discussed is almost universal to every culture but what I mean is this. I for example acquired landed properties in places that I don't have use for them. I did that as a store of wealth. I noticed too that most of my Igbo friends are guilty of same while my non-Igbo friends only buy landed properties where they either want to live or do business making them own maximum of 2 landed properties. I think we have developed a culture of referencing landed properties as the major mark of success to an extent that an Igbo will rather trek to work than to buy a car. He would rather go off town with the car money and acquire a cheap land.
@Abagworo, u're absolutely correct. Seriously i was actually wondering y ibo pple are overtly crazy about landed properties. Now, let me use nnewi (in anambra state) as a case study. An nnewi man might prefer to ride a lady bike and own plots of land and mansions in his village than to drive posh cars. D few ones u get to see driving good cars are mostly working class people who see d need to own a car probably 4 convenience and status upgrade. It's not wrong 4 someone to invest wisely but i see it as sheer stupidity to own several plots of land and mansions while d person treks in his entire life. Deltans on d otherhand are very comfortable wherever life takes them. A true delta man might own a single house and buy as much cars as he desires while some others might choose to live in a rented apartment and drive d best cars u can ever tink of. This also is uncalled for. Either ways, moderation is important!
Re: Igbo Culture And Quest For Landed Property by mcnepow(m): 12:59pm On Feb 08, 2012
JFKLondon:

Reading the bolded part in 'igbo intonation', kant stop rotflmao grin grin
Re: Igbo Culture And Quest For Landed Property by odumchi: 1:03pm On Feb 08, 2012
Abagworo:

I think it's due to the fact that land is a potentially profitable investment. If you think about it logistically, a plot of virgin forestland might cost 500k but once a road or some avenue of transportation is built near it, the price can hike ten fold. Having land also means that you are an established man/woman and it opens many opportunities for you and your family both economically and socially.

Another interesting thing is that a large portion of the land in ali Igbo is yet to be bought or sold by individuals.
Re: Igbo Culture And Quest For Landed Property by Nobody: 1:33pm On Feb 08, 2012
It's funny how most of you failed to see the OP's intent of opening the thread, which is a kind of warning.

Abagworo, since you do not have credible data on this subject, I will think it's not appropriate to dabble into it.

The truth of the matter is that most times Igbo people's alleged involvement in land acquisition around Nigeria has often been exaggerated out of reasonable proportions and often not absolute truth. This I know from personal experience. But then again I'll have to admit that Igbo people are a sucker for pain who dont learn from their mistakes.

I cant really say much about Port Harcourt and Ndi Isoma's stake in land acquisition, but I think it might be too murky to based your opinion, even if you lived there, solely on what you and your friends have done.
Re: Igbo Culture And Quest For Landed Property by bilaya(m): 1:37pm On Feb 08, 2012
, and nairaland's Igbo obsession continues
Re: Igbo Culture And Quest For Landed Property by ChinenyeN(m): 1:45pm On Feb 08, 2012
I want to understand what the link is to his worry about "being at peace with 'host communities'".
Re: Igbo Culture And Quest For Landed Property by pazienza(m): 2:00pm On Feb 08, 2012
ChinenyeN:

I don't believe you should be thinking in such a manner, because in the span of a single century, things have drastically changed. We don't really live traditionally anymore. In fact, I doubt most of us today even know 10% of the "original culture". So, if I were to be straightforward, it doesn't make sense to attribute property acquisition to "original culture".

Instead, you should be thinking in terms of business, wealth and commodity. In traditional society, the highest commodity was yam. The commodity value of yam was in fact so high that cultural emphasis was placed on its acquisition. We can see this emphasis in the extensive vocabulary we have for all things yam-related and even in the existence of yam-related personal names. That all changed during colonialism, when we began interacting more with Europeans. It is at this point that we begin to learn the commodity value of land/property itself, which, for the most part, had traditionally been regarded as communal.

So with that in mind, considering the acclaimed 'business-mindedness' of Igbo people, we should have no problems understanding clearly the logic behind all of this.

Long story short, the point of business is to build wealth. One builds wealth by acquiring commodities.
Land/Property = Commodity = Wealth (i.e. Land/Property = Wealth)

It is simple, linear logic. It's strictly business, and it is an investment.
First of all, I think you're worrying unnecessarily about "being at peace with host communities". Secondly, land/property acquisition in one's own hometown typically doesn't happen, and even in the event that it does, it's simply bad business. Land/property acquisition outside of one's indigenous group makes much more sense.

I agree with you,it's all about business.
Re: Igbo Culture And Quest For Landed Property by NorthSharp(m): 2:47pm On Feb 08, 2012
ChinenyeN:

Land/Property = Commodity = Wealth (i.e. Land/Property = Wealth
)

It is simple, linear logic. [b]It's strictly business, and it is an investment.
First of all, I think you're worrying unnecessarily about "being at peace with host communities". [/b]Secondly, land/property acquisition in one's own hometown typically doesn't happen, and even in the event that it does, it's simply bad business. Land/property acquisition outside of one's indigenous group makes much more sense.

I agree with you 100% on the points in bold.

If I may add, anybody who wants acquire wealth would also like to see that such wealth is secured to last for his entire life-time, and even beyond; and acquiring a tangible asset, especially a landed property, is one of the surest ways to ensure and secure your future wealth; liquid assets, such as cash, are more susceptible to the many risks and vagaries of day-to-day business.

Most people, regardless of ethnic backgrounds, fully appreciate this simple economic fact and streetwise logic; maybe we see the Igbos buying more properties simply because, among all the ethnic groups in Nigeria, obviously the igbos have the largest number of economically empowered individuals who can afford multiple properties in their areas and elsewhere.

We should also not lose sight of the fact that apart from securing one's wealth for the future, buying and letting properties can also be a very lucrative business in its own, especially if you choose the location of the property sensibly, and with that purpose in mind.

And since the Igbos beat all the other Nigerian ethnic groups hands down when it comes to business acumen and entrepreneurial dexterity, we should not be surprised at all that the Nigerian masters of enterprise are at the forefront of taking this dual advantage of acquiring properties; i.e as security in the future, and as a way of making handsome earnings in the present, in the form of rents.

So you (OP) should be proud of your people for being so affluent and smart; I think any enlightened person would wish there were so many individuals from his ethnic group who are so economically empowered, and so smart, as to be buying so many landed properties in so many places, within and outside the country, as your people do!
Re: Igbo Culture And Quest For Landed Property by 76Naira(m): 2:57pm On Feb 08, 2012
I think you can only reason this way when you think "3rd world and Nigerian".
Genuine capital appreciation mainly comes from decent business growth and over the years, property investment has singled itself out as one of the most reliable investment arms. Except for the real estate bubbles here and there, its know to be a positive move globally.
People must eat, learn, move, communicate, stay healthy, protect and shelter themselves and those who invest in any of these areas wisely usually see positive returns in the end.

As long as the US sells, China or Middle East can own 20 to 30 % of the properties in that country. That is the modern market system.
I believe the main reason why we see this as an issue is because we are still far from a full fledged modern nation.

Who cares if you own a house in Houston, Paris, London or Singapore? As long as you pay your dues and stay right!

I have friends; Yorubas, Igbos & Hausas who together own several properties in the US. Does that change your view in the slightest about who owns the US of A?
Re: Igbo Culture And Quest For Landed Property by Onlytruth(m): 4:53pm On Feb 08, 2012
mbatuku2:

It's funny how most of you failed to see the OP's intent of opening the thread, which is a kind of warning.

Abagworo, since you do not have credible data on this subject, I will think it's not appropriate to dabble into it.

[b]The truth of the matter is that most times Igbo people's alleged involvement in land acquisition around Nigeria has often been exaggerated out of reasonable proportions and often not absolute truth. [/b]This I know from personal experience. But then again I'll have to admit that Igbo people are a sucker for pain who dont learn from their mistakes.

I cant really say much about Port Harcourt and Ndi Isoma's stake in land acquisition, but I think it might be too murky to based your opinion, even if you lived there, solely on what you and your friends have done.

Abagworo's self hate continues. lol
Since when did it become an Igbo only sin to acquire properties? If a non Nigerian passer-by reads this Abagworo's open self imolation, he would think there is a huge issue in Nigeria about this.
The OP talks about being at peace with neighbors, as if not buying land in places of residence would bring that peace, or love. Let me remind Abagworo that some of Nigerians are not happy that some Nigerians would only buy land and develop in their own tribal zones. We call those Nigerians TRIBALISTS because they never leave their tribal zones.

Ironically, the person to teach Abagworo the REAL lesson and truth behind the whole land acquisition "saga" is a non-Igbo.
Read words of wisdom:

NorthSharp:

I agree with you 100% on the points in bold.

If I may add, anybody who wants acquire wealth would also like to see that such wealth is secured to last for his entire life-time, and even beyond; and acquiring a tangible asset, especially a landed property, is one of the surest ways to ensure and secure your future wealth; liquid assets, such as cash, are more susceptible to the many risks and vagaries of day-to-day business.

Most people, regardless of ethnic backgrounds, fully appreciate this simple economic fact and streetwise logic; maybe we see the Igbos buying more properties simply because, among all the ethnic groups in Nigeria, obviously the igbos have the largest number of economically empowered individuals who can afford multiple properties in their areas and elsewhere.

We should also not lose sight of the fact that apart from securing one's wealth for the future, buying and letting properties can also be a very lucrative business in its own, especially if you choose the location of the property sensibly, and with that purpose in mind.

And since the Igbos beat all the other Nigerian ethnic groups hands down when it comes to business acumen and entrepreneurial dexterity, we should not be surprised at all that the Nigerian masters of enterprise are at the forefront of taking this dual advantage of acquiring properties; i.e as security in the future, and as a way of making handsome earnings, in the present in the form of rents.

So you (OP) should be proud of your people for being so affluent and smart; I think any enlightened person would wish there were so many individuals from his ethnic group who are so economically empowered, and so smart, as to be buying so many landed properties in so many places, within and outside the country, as your people do!    

ALL Nigerians are into buying and selling of lands. It is called BUSINESS. It has nothing to do with a neighbor who may or may not be coveteous of your properties. That is why we have laws.

The great Mark Twain had this to say about land:

"Buy land, for they ain't making more of it".

BTW OP why not sell your lands to locals in exchange for peace? I bet you they would sell it again tomorrow to the highest bidder. Better yet, sell yours wherever they are and come and buy mine in Nnewi . It is a free world! cool
Re: Igbo Culture And Quest For Landed Property by warrior01: 7:32pm On Feb 08, 2012
never knew my nnewi brothers full here. i salute y'all
Re: Igbo Culture And Quest For Landed Property by ikeyman00(m): 9:48pm On Feb 08, 2012
@@@@

this is thread is f ull of s hit!!

a man who lack intellectual confidence usually open such a thread
Re: Igbo Culture And Quest For Landed Property by Abagworo(m): 9:53pm On Feb 08, 2012
Onlytruth:

Abagworo's self hate continues. lol
Since when did it become an Igbo only sin to acquire properties? If a non Nigerian passer-by reads this Abagworo's open self imolation, he would think there is a huge issue in Nigeria about this.

The OP talks about being at peace with neighbors, as if not buying land in places of residence would bring that peace, or love. Let me remind Abagworo that some of Nigerians are not happy that some Nigerians would only buy land and develop in their own tribal zones. We call those Nigerians TRIBALISTS because they never leave their tribal zones.

Ironically, the person to teach Abagworo the REAL lesson and truth behind the whole land acquisition "saga" is a non-Igbo.
Read words of wisdom:

ALL Nigerians are into buying and selling of lands. It is called BUSINESS. It has nothing to do with a neighbor who may or may not be coveteous of your properties. That is why we have laws.

The great Mark Twain had this to say about land:

"Buy land, for they ain't making more of it".

BTW OP why not sell your lands to locals in exchange for peace? I bet you they would sell it again tomorrow to the highest bidder. Better yet, sell yours wherever they are and come and buy mine in Nnewi . It is a free world! cool

I cant believe you do not even know that there are issues about this.
Re: Igbo Culture And Quest For Landed Property by bashr8: 11:17pm On Feb 08, 2012
agbowere u must be an slowpoke, since when did buying of land become a sin? while your trying to make igbos feel guilty buying lands, federal govt are dashing out lands to hausa and some other groups yet your pointing fingers at igbos that have to sweat to buy theirs, well let all nigerians stop buying and selling lands and see what happens and how the economy will fare, all those real estate companies especially owned by yorubas will all close down , some people think with their anus. foreigners are busy buying up all the lands in africa and your more concerned about the igbos? your IQ must be below 40.
Re: Igbo Culture And Quest For Landed Property by Abagworo(m): 12:03am On Feb 09, 2012
Haba!! Why all the insults about an observation which I'm even guilty of? Some of you will end up crying foul again when your revered lands are abandoned as your "Biafra" is realized and you are asked to leave.
Re: Igbo Culture And Quest For Landed Property by Nobody: 10:29am On Feb 09, 2012
^
I dont think they understand your point.

Just out of curiosity, I've often read articles implicating Ikwerres in the abandoned properties saga. Is there any concrete proof that shows that Ikwerres spearheaded the confistication of properties belonging to their fellow Igbo groups? I thought an Ijaw was the then Rivers governor.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Izzi-Ezaa-Mgbo-Ikwo dialect cluster / The Untold Story Of The Oldest Yoruba Town, Oba-Ile / Top 10 Facts About Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.