Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,039 members, 7,818,080 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:16 AM

Ghana Reinstates Fuel Subsidy But Higher Transport Fares Remain. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ghana Reinstates Fuel Subsidy But Higher Transport Fares Remain. (6284 Views)

Police Reinstates dismissed Amos Olaniyan (Photos) / Court Reinstates Elected LG Chairmen In River State / Wike Reinstates Sacked Lecturers, Appoints Chief Judge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ghana Reinstates Fuel Subsidy But Higher Transport Fares Remain. by RICHIEBOI1(m): 12:57am On Feb 08, 2012
Ghana’s Trade Union Congress (TUC) and government representatives have agreed to a 20 per cent reduction in petroleum prices effectively marking a reversal of governmental policy on fuel subsidy removal.

Prices of petrol and various other commodities had climbed by 20-30 percent following Ghana government’s decision to remove fuel subsidies last December.

The price reduction decision may effectively result in the full reinstatement of fuel subsidies, but no reduction in public transport fares as commercial transport operators maintain prices for spare parts have risen.

Most families in this growing economy do not own a car, but have to pay fares demanded by public transport operators.

Chairman of the Road Coordination Council, Mathew Hayford told the Ghana News Agency that petrol prices were only one factor in fixing public transport prices for the public.

“We are yet to meet over the matter, but it is unlikely we will see any downward review of transport fares,” he said.

Ghana’s government represented by Vice-President, John Mahama, and Employment and Social Welfare Minister, Enoch Mensah, agreed to the subsidy reinstatement in order to avoid the indefinite nationwide strikes promised by the TUC and other civil society groups.

Ghana government’s decision to remove fuel subsidies last year precipitated a similar governmental action in Nigeria, but the country did not witness the kinds of widespread demonstrations which brought major Nigerian cities to a standstill.

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/ghana-reinstates-fuel-subsidy-higher-transport-fares-remain
Re: Ghana Reinstates Fuel Subsidy But Higher Transport Fares Remain. by Seun(m): 1:22am On Feb 08, 2012
Hmm
Re: Ghana Reinstates Fuel Subsidy But Higher Transport Fares Remain. by Kilode1: 1:25am On Feb 08, 2012
Even people wey no protest sef dem don reduce their own price

and they almost killed us into submission here  embarassed
Re: Ghana Reinstates Fuel Subsidy But Higher Transport Fares Remain. by khalids: 9:53am On Feb 08, 2012
Is this not the Ghana that our public officials have been using as excuse/reason that we need to remove subsidy. Has Ghana now not toed the same line that we practically had to force our leaders to follow.

Fact is that you don't need to compare yourself with other countries, simple do what works for your own country.
Re: Ghana Reinstates Fuel Subsidy But Higher Transport Fares Remain. by AjanleKoko: 9:54am On Feb 08, 2012
Interesting.
Ghana, the 'model' economy, is forced into a reversal?
Must be election year strategy.
Government is nothing but hypocrisy and lootocracy. Nothing for the people.
Re: Ghana Reinstates Fuel Subsidy But Higher Transport Fares Remain. by megawax8: 10:01am On Feb 08, 2012
khalids:

Is this not the Ghana that our public officials have been using as excuse/reason that we need to remove subsidy. Has Ghana now not toed the same line that we practically had to force our leaders to follow.

Fact is that you don't need to compare yourself with other countries, simple do what works for your own country.

exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Ghana Reinstates Fuel Subsidy But Higher Transport Fares Remain. by clip: 10:04am On Feb 08, 2012
They have a government in Ghana. In Nigeria, we do not have government
Re: Ghana Reinstates Fuel Subsidy But Higher Transport Fares Remain. by Kx: 10:13am On Feb 08, 2012
This is what they call government.
God bless Ghana.
Re: Ghana Reinstates Fuel Subsidy But Higher Transport Fares Remain. by Demdem(m): 10:28am On Feb 08, 2012
Responsive and responsible govt are not difficult to know.
Re: Ghana Reinstates Fuel Subsidy But Higher Transport Fares Remain. by ChefMike(m): 10:35am On Feb 08, 2012
cool cool cool No problem let's wait and see the out come
Re: Ghana Reinstates Fuel Subsidy But Higher Transport Fares Remain. by Igwe9(m): 10:37am On Feb 08, 2012
This is not bad News at all. cool
Re: Ghana Reinstates Fuel Subsidy But Higher Transport Fares Remain. by queensmith: 10:46am On Feb 08, 2012
^^ safe for some of us conspiracy theorists to assume the world banks plans to further dominate africa and send us back to the stone age for their personal profits have been foiled.
Time will tell what they might do or suggest next.
Re: Ghana Reinstates Fuel Subsidy But Higher Transport Fares Remain. by sunkoye: 11:11am On Feb 08, 2012
that's the sin of comparison.
Re: Ghana Reinstates Fuel Subsidy But Higher Transport Fares Remain. by lifestyle1(m): 11:13am On Feb 08, 2012
at-least the government feels the pain of the people. undecided
Re: Ghana Reinstates Fuel Subsidy But Higher Transport Fares Remain. by unclebros: 11:30am On Feb 08, 2012
OccuppyGhana grin grin grin grin grin

I cry for my country Naija. They almost killed us with soldiers before they reversed the price.
Re: Ghana Reinstates Fuel Subsidy But Higher Transport Fares Remain. by member479760: 12:12pm On Feb 08, 2012
wey dem?
Re: Ghana Reinstates Fuel Subsidy But Higher Transport Fares Remain. by scopusng(m): 12:17pm On Feb 08, 2012
unclebros:

I cry for my country Naija. They almost killed us with soldiers before they reversed the price.

What price did they reverse to? N97 and you are happy.
Re: Ghana Reinstates Fuel Subsidy But Higher Transport Fares Remain. by johnie: 12:33pm On Feb 08, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Interesting.

You got that right!

Read about the hypocrisy of Ghana's politicians in fixing fuel price here:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-639186.160.html#msg10009079
Re: Ghana Reinstates Fuel Subsidy But Higher Transport Fares Remain. by funshint(m): 12:38pm On Feb 08, 2012
Since Nigeria nw plays second fiddle behind Ghana den dey shld follow suit. Dis is a big SLAP on  jona and his govt. as a whole!
Re: Ghana Reinstates Fuel Subsidy But Higher Transport Fares Remain. by bandely(m): 2:06pm On Feb 08, 2012
Hmmm, politicking!
Re: Ghana Reinstates Fuel Subsidy But Higher Transport Fares Remain. by samstradam: 2:10pm On Feb 08, 2012
IIRC when they removed subsidy in December they increased the price by only 15% but now they want to reduce it by 20%- so that means Ghanaians will now be paying less for petrol than even before the subsidy was removed??
Could someone please confirm what the new price will be and BTW our Labour leaders should please go to foreign hospitals so we can never see them again , fools!!
Re: Ghana Reinstates Fuel Subsidy But Higher Transport Fares Remain. by samstradam: 2:17pm On Feb 08, 2012
To think people were derided for saying we were actually subsidizing the theivery of the government and the true price was less than N40- a people so adverse to truth, kai.
Re: Ghana Reinstates Fuel Subsidy But Higher Transport Fares Remain. by obongoboy: 2:41pm On Feb 08, 2012
u see why people all over the world respect ghanians? they are human beings. U see goverment exist in ghana. but nigeria 80 percent animals. no goverment" only thieves and mad rulers. their children will see no peace all the days of their lives.
Re: Ghana Reinstates Fuel Subsidy But Higher Transport Fares Remain. by Arosa(m): 2:42pm On Feb 08, 2012
I think it was the massive protest in naija that also lead to this reinstatement of fuel subsidy in Ghana.  undecided
Re: Ghana Reinstates Fuel Subsidy But Higher Transport Fares Remain. by onojiwizardgmailcom(m): 3:58pm On Feb 08, 2012
when will Nigerian learn to check the facts before they react like this, the price after the removal of subsidy was GHp 175 which is $1.03 which is 163 naira, now with 20% decrease it is now GHp 140 which is now $0.83 which is 130 naira. so pls as Nigerian we must stop comparing ourselves with Ghana because our case is different
Re: Ghana Reinstates Fuel Subsidy But Higher Transport Fares Remain. by kizito96(m): 4:44pm On Feb 08, 2012
Ghana should not be a country to compare with Ghana
Re: Ghana Reinstates Fuel Subsidy But Higher Transport Fares Remain. by sweet9ja: 6:32pm On Feb 08, 2012
onojiwizard@gmail.com:

when will Nigerian learn to check the facts before they react like this, the price after the removal of subsidy was GHp 175 which is $1.03 which is 163 naira, now with 20% decrease it is now GHp 140 which is now $0.83 which is 130 naira. so pls as Nigerian we must stop comparing ourselves with Ghana because our case is different
no mind dem, nigerians are quick to jump to conclusion.
clip:

They have a government in Ghana. In Nigeria, we do not have government
Speak for yourself.
unclebros:

Cry for ya sef.
AjanleKoko:

Interesting.
JAM is playing politics with the Ghanaian economy.
Re: Ghana Reinstates Fuel Subsidy But Higher Transport Fares Remain. by FEMARY1: 10:43pm On Feb 08, 2012
johnie:

You got that right!

Read about the hypocrisy of Ghana's politicians in fixing fuel price here:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-639186.160.html#msg10009079
EXACTLY.

Re: Ghana Reinstates Fuel Subsidy But Higher Transport Fares Remain. by thoth: 10:16am On Feb 09, 2012
sweet9ja:

no mind dem, nigerians are quick to jump to conclusion.Speak for yourself.Cry for ya sef.JAM is playing politics with the Ghanaian economy.
onojiwizard@gmail.com:

I think you are the one that suppose to check your facts before trying to derail Nigerians who are only trying to be enlightened . As of this morning the Ghananian Cedis is trading at 1.539 to 1 dollar but the IMF and World Bank has forced your spineless country to devalue its currency to 190 naira to 1 dollar so that they will be enjoying greater exchange rate even with their failed economies. So you cannot use the Ghananian currency in a reference to a Nigerian situation, a middle class Ghananian family can afford to send their children to a foreign university due to the favourable exchange rate that add value to their currency and hardwork, in your country only rich citizens can afford that and your hard work and goods you produce can be bought for pennies by the western countries.

As an older ghananian intellectual and you will see the secret battle they are fighting with these western countries over domination of their economy and resources, it gets worse every election time as they always try to sponsor their puppets into the ghananian presidential seats but i trust the ghananians as they have always use a soft and legal method to always push them and their agenda aside.
Re: Ghana Reinstates Fuel Subsidy But Higher Transport Fares Remain. by onojiwizardgmailcom(m): 12:47pm On Feb 09, 2012
Mr. Thot i dont know which country you are from but i think nigerians are more elignthen than whatever country you come from, point of correction the naira as at this morning is 158 naira to 1dollar, and also note that the value of a countries currency is determined by your export and import capacity, before Ghana revalued her currency nigeria first started that process, but because we know our economics better than you do, we decided not to do so, note that the chinese and the japanese are also keeping their currency low to gain export advantage so the value of our currency is not the issue, and again when will we africans grow above the western conspiracy thing and start to shape our destinies, pls stop the nonse and start looking closely at your self before you blame others for your problems.
Re: Ghana Reinstates Fuel Subsidy But Higher Transport Fares Remain. by onojiwizardgmailcom(m): 12:54pm On Feb 09, 2012
thot nigeria only has one problem and that is curuption every nigerian knows, that is is our problem we know also that will end one day, also note that from your quatation of 1.5 to 1 dolar for a Ghana cedi I was right hence my calculation was right, stop trying to mislead my people you guys simply pay more for petrol than we do, so stop the nonsense please and mind your business in your country
Re: Ghana Reinstates Fuel Subsidy But Higher Transport Fares Remain. by thoth: 1:48pm On Feb 09, 2012
onojiwizard@gmail.com:

thot nigeria only has one problem and that is curuption every nigerian knows, that is is our problem we know also that will end one day, also note that from your quatation of 1.5 to 1 dolar for a Ghana cedi I was right hence my calculation was right, stop trying to mislead my people you guys simply pay more for petrol than we do, so stop the nonsense please and mind your business in your country
onojiwizard@gmail.com:

You were wrong beacause your reference is irrelivant, it is like saying that a litre of fuel sells for 1£ in the UK so nigerian should also buy at above 200 naira then you forget that very few nigerians earns more than 300 pounds a month,you forgot that the average salary of a person in the UK is 11 times more than what you earn here.
So how many can afford gasoline if such silly references are used in policy making. A loaf of bread sells for 4.5 dollars in some parts of the Us so why don't you buy a loaf for 600 naira in your city.
Only uneducated people or lazy minds who fail to think for themselves would fall for such tricks.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Gej's Train Transformation / Benue Gov, Ortom Denies Making Hate Speech Against Buhari / Enahoro - “january 15, 1966 Not Nzeogwu’s Coup”

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.