Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,810 members, 7,810,113 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:56 PM

Broadband Is Next Phase Of Telecoms Revolution – Juwah - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Broadband Is Next Phase Of Telecoms Revolution – Juwah (4796 Views)

Telecoms Operators Threaten To Shut Down Operations In Six States / NCC Withdraws ‘data Floor Price’ For Telecoms Operators / Help In Configuring Multilinks 3g Blue Broadband! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Broadband Is Next Phase Of Telecoms Revolution – Juwah by supereagle(m): 3:31am On Feb 08, 2012
Executive Vice Chairman of the Nigeria Communication Commission, NCC. Dr. Eugene Juwah has said that broadband is the next phase of telecommunication revolution, which every nation that aspires to succeed must embrace.

He said as a result of this imperative, NCC has made progress in the nation’s telecom sector to improve on broadband infrastructure.

Dr Juwah made this assertion at a five-day youth software training programme powered by the Jim Ovia Foundation, tagged “Developing Nigeria’s Next Generation of ICT Entrepreneurs” which held at the Civic Centre, Lagos, last week.

Broadband progress
“NCC has made significant progress to improve on broadband in Nigeria because we hope to be part of this global movement,” he stated.

Speaking to the youths attending the programme, Juwah described the internet as a two-edged sword, adding it has both good and bad sides, and that one of the aims of the programme was to address the good side of it. To maximize potentials of future generation, Juwah said knowledge remains a key factor to make it happen, which must be pursued with all seriousness and sense of purpose.

He urged the youths to take the good side of the internet, which he said will take them to the heights of their potential that will not only bring them pride but also ad value to the society.

“With the skills you acquired in this programme, can be used as a stepping stone to advance in knowledge, maximize your ICT potentials and certifications. That why NCC will continue to support in this digital awareness and advance digital awareness for higher institutions,” said the EVC.

Licenses
During an interactive session at the end the lecture, Dr Juwah also disclosed to newsmen that the commission will before end of this week issue licenses to operators to implement the proposed number portability services in Nigeria.

The action according to him, is in fulfilment of the commission’s promise to offer Nigerians the choice of switching from one network to another based on the quality of service rendered.

It will be recalled that the commission last year announced a consortium of Interconnect/Saab Grintek/Telcordia as the preferred vendor for the service after the technical, financial and demo presentations by the bidding vendors.

Number portability will allow subscribers move to alternate networks when they are no longer enjoying the quality of services being obtained from their current operators or when they are no longer happy with the tariffs offered by their current subscribers. They will still retain their original numbers irrespective of the new network from which they may be obtaining their services.

The EVC said that the operating companies to be licensed will be expected to set up and implement number portability clearing house and provide mobile number portability solutions administration in the country within six months of receiving the license with a testing period of two months, before embarking on full operation in the ninth month.

Further, the EVC vowed to bar unregistered SIM cards from the country’s mobile networks 30 days after the ongoing data harmonization process ends, which is expected to end this week.

Though a lot of Nigerians have registered their SIM cards, Juwah said unregistered subscribers will be barred from making calls until they have registered their SIM cards.

The NCC boss hinted that the data collected during the six-month SIM registration exercise was being uploaded onto NCC’s back up servers in Abuja, saying this was taking time due to the volume of the data.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/02/broadband-is-next-phase-of-telecoms-revolution-juwah/
Re: Broadband Is Next Phase Of Telecoms Revolution – Juwah by aglomar: 2:49pm On Feb 08, 2012
That's the global trend but with the massive fraud in EFCC, how soon are we getting there?
Re: Broadband Is Next Phase Of Telecoms Revolution – Juwah by sekpata(m): 3:05pm On Feb 08, 2012
Whats EFCC got to do with Broadband?
Re: Broadband Is Next Phase Of Telecoms Revolution – Juwah by Wallie(m): 3:41pm On Feb 08, 2012
There's no doubt that this is the next telecommunication boom; however, I don't know what NCC has to do with it apart from issuing the needed licenses.

Connecting to Glo and MainOne's backbone will be the key. There's WiMax and the telecom's 4G but more distribution type connection will be needed to support the population in the inner cities. Dangote already implemented interstate fiber connections but the intra city connections are still lacking.
Re: Broadband Is Next Phase Of Telecoms Revolution – Juwah by emisun(m): 4:12pm On Feb 08, 2012
this is all bullshit.they said number portability was gonna start working last year march and here they sayin different thing again.
Re: Broadband Is Next Phase Of Telecoms Revolution – Juwah by Nobody: 4:41pm On Feb 08, 2012
What is the statistic of broadband users in Nigeria?
Re: Broadband Is Next Phase Of Telecoms Revolution – Juwah by dnative(m): 4:45pm On Feb 08, 2012
broadband? what broadband?

there is no broadband in naija!
Re: Broadband Is Next Phase Of Telecoms Revolution – Juwah by Nobody: 4:59pm On Feb 08, 2012
^^^
You sure of that?
Re: Broadband Is Next Phase Of Telecoms Revolution – Juwah by manny4life(m): 5:21pm On Feb 08, 2012
Wait, are they talking about the type they use in the U.S.? undecided undecided undecided Hasn't Broadband been phased out? I thought we're moving into cable or even fiber optics? IT folks please explain better, this is not my field.
Re: Broadband Is Next Phase Of Telecoms Revolution – Juwah by Wallie(m): 5:24pm On Feb 08, 2012
manny4life:

Wait, are they talking about the type they use in the U.S.? undecided undecided undecided Hasn't Broadband been phased out? I thought we're moving into cable or even fiber optics? IT folks please explain better, this is not my field.

Broadband just means high speed internet. The medium (cable, fiber, air) does not really matter.
Re: Broadband Is Next Phase Of Telecoms Revolution – Juwah by babaowo: 5:51pm On Feb 08, 2012
we have worst internet providers compare to amounts were paying,
Re: Broadband Is Next Phase Of Telecoms Revolution – Juwah by Nonybb: 6:16pm On Feb 08, 2012
Once the policy is implemented i'm gonna change frm MTN! Its a greedy netwrk that offerz no incentive
Re: Broadband Is Next Phase Of Telecoms Revolution – Juwah by lilliesonwater: 6:39pm On Feb 08, 2012
@aglomar,
EFCC and Broadband, correlation pls.
Re: Broadband Is Next Phase Of Telecoms Revolution – Juwah by bigdoo: 7:32pm On Feb 08, 2012
Is BB already in Nigeria? If not when exactly are we going to have it? I feel highly frustrated with my slow MTN modem whenever I am in Nigeria. I can't wait to have broadband in Nigeria.
Re: Broadband Is Next Phase Of Telecoms Revolution – Juwah by ncpat(m): 10:01pm On Feb 08, 2012
In internet access CCITT defined "broadband service" in 1988 as requiring transmission channels capable of supporting bit rates greater than the primary rate which ranged from about 1.5 to 2 Mbit/s

from the definition above any network or internet service provider (isp) providing internet speed of 1.5Mbit/s and above is a broadband internet

here is a pic of airtel internet speed in Gombe State, Nigeria. For me this one is a broadband cos it is fast and i can watch video on youtube without pause or skip.

Re: Broadband Is Next Phase Of Telecoms Revolution – Juwah by Theblessed(f): 10:16pm On Feb 08, 2012
[size=16pt]Yes you're absolutely right, Dr Juwa.

But I ask next phase for who? For Nigeria, I suppose!

Can't you see, most countries of the world are already on top of it but, when will you stop talking about it and start doing for Nigerians, instead.

Get on with it and stop rambling.?

[/size]
Re: Broadband Is Next Phase Of Telecoms Revolution – Juwah by prefers555: 12:32am On Feb 09, 2012
Broadband simply means the ability of your means of communication (internet or intranet) to support multiple services like voip, video on demand, data and other bandwidth consuming application over a single baseband channel. If u can watch youtube, browswe the internet and make voip calls over the internet at the same time, then welcome to the world of broadband. On the contrary, what we have as broadband is nothing but NARROW BAND SERVICE!!!! cool
Re: Broadband Is Next Phase Of Telecoms Revolution – Juwah by tundeOjo: 1:02am On Feb 09, 2012
ncpat, i think u should allow me take it frm here grin

am such a bullyy tongue

Re: Broadband Is Next Phase Of Telecoms Revolution – Juwah by bulksms247(m): 6:46am On Feb 09, 2012
It will be great and also greater if the tariffs are cheaper. Until is done then I will praise them cause I have learnt not to listen to their words again because they know how to talk and won't implement
Re: Broadband Is Next Phase Of Telecoms Revolution – Juwah by dastudent(m): 10:10am On Feb 09, 2012
tundeOjo:

ncpat, i think u should allow me take it frm here grin

am such a bullyy tongue

What connection is that?
Re: Broadband Is Next Phase Of Telecoms Revolution – Juwah by tundeOjo: 12:38pm On Feb 09, 2012
^^^^

etisalat baby cool
Re: Broadband Is Next Phase Of Telecoms Revolution – Juwah by ncpat(m): 3:38am On Feb 10, 2012
tundeOjo:

^^^^

etisalat baby cool

oh boy that speed na breeze true true ohh
Re: Broadband Is Next Phase Of Telecoms Revolution – Juwah by scoundrel(f): 12:02pm On May 14, 2020
My own definition of broadband internet service is 6 - 8 mbps. I have enjoyed broadband from time to time since 2006. The problem is here in Naija it doesn't last more than three years before service dips and na money kill am. It's even worse in recent times because the service I use limits it to 8 days out of a full month before the network strength becomes near unusable.

(1) (Reply)

My Mtn 3g Has Stopped Working / Sharing Data From Mtn Night Plan / . How To Setup Your Whatsapp Profile Picture Without Cropping It. .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.