Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,995 members, 7,952,982 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 08:40 AM

Sex Education: Should It Be Taught In Nigerian Secondary Schools? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Sex Education: Should It Be Taught In Nigerian Secondary Schools? (10694 Views)

Funny Ways Kids Are Taught In Schools(share Your Experience) / 9 Lies You Were (probably) Taught In School / Quick Shots: Crazy Nigerian Secondary School Names. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sex Education: Should It Be Taught In Nigerian Secondary Schools? by Adewale99: 6:50pm On Feb 10, 2012
Should sex education be taught in our secondary schools as a means of protecting underage girls from unwanted pregnancies and sexual abuse?
Re: Sex Education: Should It Be Taught In Nigerian Secondary Schools? by AmakaG29(f): 5:24am On Feb 11, 2012
I think it's necessary and beneficial for society as a whole to have an informed population about reproductive health and intimacy. Ignoring STI's and teen pregnancy won't make those things go away. Even if it's taught from a biology perspective and not a morality perspective, it would be beneficial. Many young people are tricked into activities and making bad decisions simply because of ignorance.

I am an advocate of education and an enemy of ignorance. I realize there are religious and familial issues that may stand in the way, but the realities of now have to be addressed. These young people don't have the tools to make good decisions.
Re: Sex Education: Should It Be Taught In Nigerian Secondary Schools? by ng4am(f): 9:27am On Feb 13, 2012
I support that, its very necessary to teach them sex education with d level of immoral practice among these young teens
Re: Sex Education: Should It Be Taught In Nigerian Secondary Schools? by amtheone(m): 9:35am On Feb 13, 2012
@adewale
am in suport of this motion but those in powa wont make it hapen, because sex discusions is stil seen in most sector as a sin. I thnk we can start from our family unit by educatng them.
Re: Sex Education: Should It Be Taught In Nigerian Secondary Schools? by Demdem(m): 9:43am On Feb 13, 2012
why not? with enough practicals for better understanding
Re: Sex Education: Should It Be Taught In Nigerian Secondary Schools? by God2man(m): 9:50am On Feb 13, 2012
You can't hide such information from teenagers, if you do, then you may be preparing them for the worst. One way or the other, they will be expose to youthful lust. The best thing to do is to sit them down and explain to them, in a way that they will undestand. Sex education should be introduced to the teenagers. I support the idea, 100%. God bless you. God2man.
Re: Sex Education: Should It Be Taught In Nigerian Secondary Schools? by Okijajuju1(m): 10:02am On Feb 13, 2012
Not only in Secondary schools, but also in church and on the radio and televisions and Newspaper.

Parents also should be taught sex ed. I am tired of parents who don't educate their kids coming out to beat the child black and blue when they act a fool and get pregnant.  angry Nigerian parents need to come to terms with the fact that their 20year old daughter is prolly fuckin' on a prostitutional scale and the only advice/education she is getting is coming from T.V, Nigerian videos, naive friends and Mills&boon. The earlier we cut the religious, sanctimonous bullshit, the better we shall be.

Educate the Parents, educate the child.

Alusi_OkijaTM MOTTO: The gods are not to blame, cos the gods are wise.
Re: Sex Education: Should It Be Taught In Nigerian Secondary Schools? by Mkpotu(m): 10:15am On Feb 13, 2012
very necessary! I support you, Okija Juju. It should be made part of the curriculum
Re: Sex Education: Should It Be Taught In Nigerian Secondary Schools? by geewhite(f): 10:30am On Feb 13, 2012
I strongly support dis very much. Our govt should introduce sex education in schools. It will help the young generation prepare for the future, reduce the rate of unwwanted pregnancies, STDs and also boost our morality level.
Re: Sex Education: Should It Be Taught In Nigerian Secondary Schools? by FlyboyZee: 10:37am On Feb 13, 2012
As soon as your child begins to ask you, "Mummy, what is this?"

Teach him /her that a man is what he is a man and a woman is what she is.

Sex Education should start as soon as the child begins to get inquisitive, explore and ask questions.
Re: Sex Education: Should It Be Taught In Nigerian Secondary Schools? by Baawaa(m): 10:45am On Feb 13, 2012
Sex education sex education hmm, need deep thought before we start it in our Secondary School.We have to weight the advantage and disadvantage of it.
Re: Sex Education: Should It Be Taught In Nigerian Secondary Schools? by valencia25(m): 10:46am On Feb 13, 2012
Either ways but i'll settle for a Yes because this students are already exposed, so all they need is guide about it,
Re: Sex Education: Should It Be Taught In Nigerian Secondary Schools? by member10: 10:47am On Feb 13, 2012
[size=22pt]why now people? We na black o!! Teaching to protect go turn into something else.  You know how inquisitive young folks can get, so when you give them that little knowledge, that's it! That becomes their new hobby!
I personally don't tink we should do that, just let the parent handle that part.[/size]
Re: Sex Education: Should It Be Taught In Nigerian Secondary Schools? by Isk(f): 10:53am On Feb 13, 2012
A friend of mine who did her T.P in a secondary school in Delta State(she taught biology) said that part of the scheme of work was teaching about homosexual-ism. If schools can teach that to students, then they ought to teach sex-edu too.
Re: Sex Education: Should It Be Taught In Nigerian Secondary Schools? by jedisco(m): 10:57am On Feb 13, 2012
Well its already part of the curriculum and is currently being taught.
When I visited home this last Christmas I remember going through my junior ones biology notes and texts and was surprised to see topics on sexual education and contraception.
I also learnt that quite a number of topics in social studies had been scraped e.g. Evolution of man e.t.c. These have been replaced by topics regarding current social vices like cultism, drug trafficking.
Well I see it as a nice move and also want contraceptives especially condoms and emergency pills to be made available in schools
Re: Sex Education: Should It Be Taught In Nigerian Secondary Schools? by Limaoscar: 11:02am On Feb 13, 2012
Who will teach who SE in Nigerian High Schools shocked shocked shocked?
Re: Sex Education: Should It Be Taught In Nigerian Secondary Schools? by jedisco(m): 11:03am On Feb 13, 2012
Why is the word seexuall censored
Re: Sex Education: Should It Be Taught In Nigerian Secondary Schools? by member10: 11:04am On Feb 13, 2012
Isk:

A friend of mine who did her T.P in a secondary school in Delta State(she taught biology) said that part of the scheme of work was teaching about gay-ism. If schools can teach that to students, then they ought to teach sex-edu too.

[size=22pt]you must be joking![/size]
Re: Sex Education: Should It Be Taught In Nigerian Secondary Schools? by babaowo: 11:39am On Feb 13, 2012
yes for those who ready to learn about it.
Re: Sex Education: Should It Be Taught In Nigerian Secondary Schools? by joerux60: 12:12pm On Feb 13, 2012
Elsewhere children are being taught at primary school level to
protect themselves against;

1) HIV/AIDS
2) Vernereal Dieses
3) Child Molestation/Abuse

For 1 and 2 Abstinence is put foward as the best protection.
On 3 they are taught what it is, where it may occur (so they
may be able to avoid those situations) and to report whenever such
happens.
Re: Sex Education: Should It Be Taught In Nigerian Secondary Schools? by kandiikane(m): 12:13pm On Feb 13, 2012
I think they should be taught in primary school actually or as soon as they start asking questions. Young children and teens are getting abuse and because many in society think sex is a taboo these young people go on unheard thinking it is ok for them to be abused. Ignorance towards sex should stop and we should try and teach young people about sex because at the end of the day sex will happen whether married or not.
Re: Sex Education: Should It Be Taught In Nigerian Secondary Schools? by highland(m): 12:44pm On Feb 13, 2012
YES. Education is the most important element in shaping the future perspective of the young children and teens about sex and relationship, we don't need to hide anything that they will soon learn from their friend or on the internet to chances.
Re: Sex Education: Should It Be Taught In Nigerian Secondary Schools? by laravalentine(f): 1:35pm On Feb 13, 2012
well in our generation, sex has become an issue and it shouldnt be so, any child above the age of 12 should be adviced about sex freely, its no more a big deal, everybody has sex!!!! just let them know the dangers attached to unprotected sex and even protected sex too has a lot of emotional issues, Phew cheesy sex is sex,
Re: Sex Education: Should It Be Taught In Nigerian Secondary Schools? by Sike(m): 2:21pm On Feb 13, 2012
How can we teach kids what there already know!
Re: Sex Education: Should It Be Taught In Nigerian Secondary Schools? by hannahmay(f): 2:34pm On Feb 13, 2012
Ofcourse yes. I startd aving sex educatn from govt health authority when I waz in JS2 and it rily help.
Re: Sex Education: Should It Be Taught In Nigerian Secondary Schools? by hannahmay(f): 2:38pm On Feb 13, 2012
Sike:

How can we teach kids what there already know!
It's not that they dnt knw but sex education wil tel u more the consequences of pre marital sex, And d reason u nid to kip ur virginity.
Re: Sex Education: Should It Be Taught In Nigerian Secondary Schools? by Sbrainy(m): 4:25pm On Feb 13, 2012
I deem it fit to Reply to this very Interactive Question
Good day! Good People of Nigeria!
Sex Education should be taught in Schools. As a matter of fact, Seminars should also be organized to complement it. But, I realized that the best People that can teach it effectively are the Parents and not schools.
Am not of the view that it would make people corrupt but rather, it would make them sensitive!
Re: Sex Education: Should It Be Taught In Nigerian Secondary Schools? by kizito96(m): 4:37pm On Feb 13, 2012
I am afraid the randy teachers will take advantage of these innocent kids to practicalise what they are taught
Re: Sex Education: Should It Be Taught In Nigerian Secondary Schools? by vescucci(m): 5:55pm On Feb 13, 2012
Deja vu feeling. I'd have sworn I posted here just now. Anyways, I think sex education is not good or bad. It's good in the sense that it demystifies sex and makes it less intriguing and thus less appealing (less, but it'd still be pretty darn intriguing and appealing). It's not so great cuz it makes it less intriguing and thus less appealing.

I hope the humour is not lost undecided
Re: Sex Education: Should It Be Taught In Nigerian Secondary Schools? by Isk(f): 6:10pm On Feb 13, 2012
كلورين:

[size=22pt]you must be joking![/size]
unfortunately i'm nt joking. I was shocked.
Re: Sex Education: Should It Be Taught In Nigerian Secondary Schools? by paradise00(m): 3:23am On Feb 14, 2012
Y nt lipsrsealed
Re: Sex Education: Should It Be Taught In Nigerian Secondary Schools? by agiboma(f): 5:24am On Feb 14, 2012
Yes it should definetly be taught in high school, it some countries sex ed begins @ age 10, education is good it will help to reduce teen age pregnancies, std etc

(1) (2) (Reply)

When Will Her JAMB (UME) Results Be Released? / Esut Commence The Sale Of Post Ume Form.details Inside / Teach Yourself Hausa Language

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.