Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,742 members, 7,824,141 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:19 AM

Driving From Lagos To Abuja - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Driving From Lagos To Abuja (66983 Views)

So There Are Nigerians That Fly From Lagos To London Then To Abuja Than Direct? / Driving From Ibadan To Abuja. How Long Does It Take? / Driving From Abuja To Jos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Driving From Lagos To Abuja by tinkinfela(m): 8:34pm On Feb 12, 2012
Hello good folks,

I'll be flying to Nigeria with my girlfriend and we plan to visit Abuja while in Nigeria. I'm not a big fan of flying and I always try to avoid it unless it is absolutely necessary. Do you think it's a good advice to drive to Abuja, spend some days and drive back to Lagos? You hear a lot of horror stories about those highways so don't know.
Re: Driving From Lagos To Abuja by werepeLeri: 9:30pm On Feb 12, 2012
Can you stand the distance? Just fly confidently.
Re: Driving From Lagos To Abuja by tinkinfela(m): 12:49am On Feb 13, 2012
werepeLeri:

Can you stand the distance? Just fly confidently.

You don't want to know what distance I will be willing to drive just to avoid flying cheesy ,  There was a time I was actually contemplating driving from Germany to Nigeria  grin

1 Like

Re: Driving From Lagos To Abuja by damola1: 11:55pm On Feb 13, 2012
45mins vs 9hrs or so, cool, Actually, haven't tried the road trip before, but loads of transport companies do it everyday.
Re: Driving From Lagos To Abuja by netotse(m): 12:03am On Feb 14, 2012
unless you'd be willing to break the journey into 2 days or something like that to avoid traffic,
if you dont, it could take you more than 12 hours to get to abuja by road. . . it's taken me more than 18 hours before(like 3-5 years ago)
the road is constantly changing sef so it's not like there's only one route. . .I agree with the people saying you should fly. . .
Re: Driving From Lagos To Abuja by DisGuy: 12:24am On Feb 14, 2012
Get a train to Ilorin, then get a coach/cab to Abuja grin
Re: Driving From Lagos To Abuja by werepeLeri: 12:52am On Feb 14, 2012
Its not like its that bad these days.

Option 1: Lagos - Benin - Auchi - Okene - Lokoja - Abuja

Option 2: Lagos - Akure - Owo - Ibilo - Okene - Lokoja - Abuja

Option 3: Lagos - Ilorin - Jebba - Bida - Abuja

Option 2 is what most transport companies use.

I have used all routes, never ever try Option 3 - bad roads.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Driving From Lagos To Abuja by morpheus24: 9:52pm On Feb 14, 2012
@ poster

If you like your self just get on an arik flight with your babe and hit Abuja in 40 mins othewise your girlfriend go curse you tire!!!
Re: Driving From Lagos To Abuja by chelseabmw(m): 10:43pm On Feb 14, 2012
This is an interesting thread
Re: Driving From Lagos To Abuja by DisGuy: 11:08pm On Feb 14, 2012
or better still your girlfriend should get a plane ticket, you get a coach ticket-- voilà!

just make sure she get Arik, you might arrive roughly at the same time lipsrsealed
Re: Driving From Lagos To Abuja by tinkinfela(m): 1:53am On Feb 15, 2012
Drove from London to Gothenburg in Sweden with a friend one time. Took a day and half, I actually love road trips so don't really mind the time.

My main concern is safety.
Re: Driving From Lagos To Abuja by Geomac: 12:32pm On Feb 15, 2012
werepeLeri:

Its not like its that bad these days.

Option 1: Lagos - Benin - Auchi - Okene - Lokoja - Abuja

Option 2: Lagos - Akure - Owo - Ibilo - Okene - Lokoja - Abuja

Option 3: Lagos - Ilorin - Jebba - Bida - Abuja
Option 2 is what most transport companies use.

I have used all routes, never ever try Option 3 - bad roads.

Don't try option 3
Re: Driving From Lagos To Abuja by crispgg: 9:55pm On Feb 16, 2012
I have taken travelled by road and air between lagos and abuja this year.
By road will be between 9 to 12 hours, depending on traffic and other factors.
You cannot compare travelling in europe with road trips in Nigeria. I use panadol after those long stressful journeys on the bad roads.

I would advise you to travel by air, but if you insist on travelling by road and you are going by public transport, take a Toyota Sienna car. Its the most comfortable option or the Toyota Hiace buses. If you are ready to spend you whole lifetime in a coach, I will recommend taking ABC. You will get all these options around Jibowu Yaba area.

Driving yourself?  route 2 is the only sane option, all other routes are far and not taken by commercial motorists. Going through Ekiti used to be preferred when the Akure road was bad but the Akure road has been patched up now.

Have a safe trip and enjoy your stay.
Re: Driving From Lagos To Abuja by tinkinfela(m): 10:44pm On Feb 16, 2012
crispgg:

I have taken travelled by road and air between lagos and abuja this year.
By road will be between 9 to 12 hours, depending on traffic and other factors.
You cannot compare travelling in europe with road trips in Nigeria. I use panadol after those long stressful journeys on the bad roads.

I would advise you to travel by air, but if you insist on travelling by road and you are going by public transport, take a Toyota Sienna car. Its the most comfortable option or the Toyota Hiace buses. If you are ready to spend you whole lifetime in a coach, I will recommend taking ABC. You will get all these options around Jibowu Yaba area.

Driving yourself?  route 2 is the only sane option, all other routes are far and not taken by commercial motorists. Going through Ekiti used to be preferred when the Akure road was bad but the Akure road has been patched up now.

Have a safe trip and enjoy your stay.

Thank you. I would probably drive myself. Will I be able to use Sat Nav?
Re: Driving From Lagos To Abuja by Eobiabo(m): 11:54pm On Feb 16, 2012
How much does arik air charge per ticket from lagos to abuja
Re: Driving From Lagos To Abuja by werepeLeri: 6:21am On Feb 17, 2012
tinkinfela:

Thank you. I would probably drive myself. Will I be able to use Sat Nav?

Yes you can use a sat nav if you buy from Third Dimension Technologies - they offer the very best in town. Call Yemmy on 0703 694 9019. If you have a Garmin, he will only load the Nigerian maps on your Garmin, if you dont have - just buy a Garmin Nuvi 265w with the maps loaded for 40k Naira.
Re: Driving From Lagos To Abuja by Nobody: 7:22am On Feb 17, 2012
Nice thread.

I'm hoping to visit Abuja on my next trip home and like OP I would like to do a road trip but not because of fear of flight but to enjoy the countryside and take pictures.

I positively will not do a night trip so what is a good halfway point to spend the night?
Re: Driving From Lagos To Abuja by werepeLeri: 7:49am On Feb 17, 2012
^^^^^

You can do all in 8 hrs if u gat a good car.
Re: Driving From Lagos To Abuja by DisGuy: 2:19pm On Feb 17, 2012
depending on where you are going from@ som
Re: Driving From Lagos To Abuja by Nobody: 2:47pm On Feb 17, 2012
It will be from Ibadan.
Re: Driving From Lagos To Abuja by DisGuy: 11:42pm On Feb 19, 2012
should be able to do that at one stretch, except you want to take a local fishing tour grin
Re: Driving From Lagos To Abuja by Nobody: 11:50pm On Feb 19, 2012
nice! OP pls update us on your road trip. I enjoy road trips as well, used to enjoy the ABC bus trips from Lagos to Jos a few yrs ago. The bus would always pass through Abuja and Kaduna.
Re: Driving From Lagos To Abuja by dayokanu(m): 12:07am On Feb 20, 2012
I do Dallas to Houston every 2 weeks

280miles thats like 500km one way
Re: Driving From Lagos To Abuja by Nobody: 12:31am On Feb 20, 2012
dayokanu:

I do Dallas to Houston every 2 weeks

280miles thats like 500km one way

I have hope that one day Nigeria will develop an interstate freeway system with good amenities like security, 24hour gas stations, restaurants, of course good roads, etc

When I was building my house in Dallas, I used to drive the 3,000 miles round trip every two weeks from Los Angeles. Each leg, 1,500 miles, started after work on Friday around 5PM and it took 22 hours non stop.

Nigerias commerce, tourism woudl increase immensely if they could just accomplish this. There are more to see from the ground than in the air.
Re: Driving From Lagos To Abuja by Nobody: 12:40am On Feb 20, 2012
Somorin#1:

I have hope that one day Nigeria will develop an interstate freeway system with good amenities like security, 24hour gas stations, restaurants, of course good roads, etc

When I was building my house in Dallas, I used to drive the 3,000 miles round trip every two weeks from Los Angeles. Each leg, 1,500 miles, started after work on Friday around 5PM and it took 22 hours non stop.

Nigerias commerce, tourism woudl increase immensely if they could just accomplish this. There are more to see from the ground than in the air.

this is what makes road trips here so much fun.
Re: Driving From Lagos To Abuja by ismhab(m): 5:23pm On Mar 02, 2012
Make u na keep 100,000 naira with u, for the armed robbers if u are travelling by road provided u want ur life.

1 Like

Re: Driving From Lagos To Abuja by OmoPastor(m): 5:31pm On Mar 02, 2012
unless you'd be willing to break the journey into 2 days or something like that to avoid traffic,
if you dont, it could take you more than 12 hours to get to abuja by road. . . it's taken me more than 18 hours before(like 3-5 years ago)
the road is constantly changing sef so it's not like there's only one route. . .I agree with the people saying you should fly. . .

were you crawling or did you use bicycle? haba bros, lag-abj is not more than 8hrs max if you do not overspeed.

2 Likes

Re: Driving From Lagos To Abuja by strangest(m): 5:33pm On Mar 02, 2012
Nice thread, ve been dying to drive from Nigeria to Ghana, @op, abeg update us with pics on your journey, Remember don't drink and drive,
Re: Driving From Lagos To Abuja by joselekas(m): 5:35pm On Mar 02, 2012
like someone pointed out; 'break' the journey. Lagos to Akure then Akure to Abuja. Sitting in a car for 10 hrs is horrible not to talk of driving. Had the xperience last month but regretted I did.
Re: Driving From Lagos To Abuja by Masanto: 5:35pm On Mar 02, 2012
My only advice is dnt go through niger state. Their roads are just too bad

1 Like

Re: Driving From Lagos To Abuja by Nobody: 5:47pm On Mar 02, 2012
I was about to critic your comment when I recall that morons like you cannot be elected into government  grin
Re: Driving From Lagos To Abuja by MissedCall(m): 5:53pm On Mar 02, 2012
can be very horrible. Pls fly.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Battleship Island: Once World's Most Populated City Abandoned 47 Years Ago(Pics) / Nigeria Have Suffered (my Experience On A Visit To India). / Simple Ways To Pass Your USA Embassy Visa Interview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.