Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,119 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:19 AM

February 13th In The History Of Nigeria - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / February 13th In The History Of Nigeria (14308 Views)

UPDATE: Figures And Percentage Of PVC Collection As At February 13th, 2014 / The History Of Public Transportation In Lagos. / The History Of Fuel Price Increase In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: February 13th In The History Of Nigeria by Latty88(f): 6:18pm On Feb 13, 2012
@ high chief,I googled it bt was nt mentioned. @ Johnie thanks
Re: February 13th In The History Of Nigeria by kizito96(m): 6:20pm On Feb 13, 2012
I wish this cleansing could be introduced in the present day Nigeria political class. Class of corrupt leaders
Re: February 13th In The History Of Nigeria by Harbb: 6:41pm On Feb 13, 2012
Very historic indeed
Re: February 13th In The History Of Nigeria by HighChief4(m): 7:00pm On Feb 13, 2012
Fuuuckk Murtala Muhammed. Good riddance to bad rubish. Heartless beast!!!

Exactly on October 7, 1967, the federal troops under the command of Lt Col Murtala Ramat Mohammed committed the greatest genocide in Af, rica’s history. In a broadcast at Benin to signal what is to happen at Asaba on September 21, 1967, Lt Col Mohammed thundered, “I have already dispatched my forces to deal with the rebels around Agbor and Asaba”. Little wonder why Igbo women were raped, children maimed, pregnant women raped and their pregnancies emboweled from Benin, Agbor, Ibusa, Ogwashi-Uku with the grand finale been the butchering of over 2000 defenseless men and male children who had rolled out their drums to rejoice with the federal troops for recapturing Asaba from Biafran forces at St Patrick’s College area of Asaba by Lt Col Mohammed’s troop for alleged “Biafra sympathy”. All these happened in total disregard to the Geneva Convention and federal directive issued by the then Nigeria’s HOS, Major-General Yakubu Gowon.

In the words of 58 years old eye witness, Ifeanyi Uraih, who was a resident of Asaba then with his nine siblings and parents, “I cannot tell this story without tears in my eyes, but I have no bitterness in my heart… They ordered everyone to come out to the town square… They were honest with us. They told us they were going to kill us. They took us to the mounted machine guns. Then it dawned on us that it was true. I was standing with my older brother at the edge of the crowd. He was holding my hand. He had always taken care of me. We shared the same bed. He was the first to be dragged away by the soldiers. He let go of my hand and pushed me into the crowd. He was shot in the back. I could see the blood gushing from his back. He was the first victim of the massacre. Then all hell let loose. I lost count of time. To this day, I live with the smell of the blood of my brethren that night. Even the heavens wept for the victims of this holocaust. Finally the bullets stopped.” Luckily Uraih made it alive because the bodies of the people who were killed fell and buffered and him.

It is indeed 44 years today but the wound are still fresh. According to Chinelo Egwuatu, another survivor of the genocide, “We can forgive but we should never, ever forget… There is no way you can bring the people back, but you can at least acknowledge that it happened.” Special thanks to the University of Florida Center for Holocaust and Genocide Studies and its team of researchers ably led by Erin H. Kimmerle, Professors Elizabeth Si Bird and Fraser Ottanelli who have elected to “break the silence, honour the dead, develop a historic record of the event and secure funding to build the permanent memorial”.

On the part of the Federal Government, it is time we put this ugly part of our history permanently behind us by giving the dead deserving state burial and proper apologies rendered to the surviving families of these great Nigerians, whose blood were wasted by bloodlust and hate-mongering soldiers. Anything less is begging the question and it behoves us all as Nigerians to seek justice for the dead
Re: February 13th In The History Of Nigeria by deols(f): 7:35pm On Feb 13, 2012
hmmmn! good to know.
Re: February 13th In The History Of Nigeria by tunnytox(m): 8:01pm On Feb 13, 2012
hmmm
Re: February 13th In The History Of Nigeria by dasparrow: 8:18pm On Feb 13, 2012
High_Chief:

Fuuuckk Murtala Muhammed. Good riddance to bad rubish. Heartless beast!!!

The biafra war was no joke oh! After reading this account of the war, I feel so sad. I don't think Igbo people will ever forget the biafra war. It was way too tragic from what I have read and the pictures I have seen. Oh Nigeria! embarassed
Re: February 13th In The History Of Nigeria by Rhino5dm: 9:32pm On Feb 13, 2012
^
The jac-kass called Ojukwu was very daft to think he can win that war. What more, the Hero coward later fled to Abidjan leaving 3 million poor souls to be wasted.
Re: February 13th In The History Of Nigeria by HighChief4(m): 10:09pm On Feb 13, 2012
^^^You are right and am sure you are enjoying your "One Nigeria". Odeee
Re: February 13th In The History Of Nigeria by Nobody: 10:22pm On Feb 13, 2012
I have heard some Yorubas say that Ojukwu was right (looking at events now and looking back) and that the Yorubas should have backed him up. Things would have been different now,
Re: February 13th In The History Of Nigeria by supereagle(m): 10:36pm On Feb 13, 2012
pash4naija:

I have heard some Yorubas say that Ojukwu was right (looking at events now and looking back) and that the Yorubas should have backed him up. Things would have been different now,

Without Yoruba Generals , Biafra will be a Nation today. They handled the most diffcult terrains in the warfront.
Re: February 13th In The History Of Nigeria by doofanc: 12:29am On Feb 14, 2012
@op very fascinating read. I'm surprised to see people saying they were in pry school then, one even in secondary school (i no know say na so elders full NL, lol). Ur truly was not to see this world till another 6 or 7 years later! B-)

i'm still puzzled by the account of how Dimka was able to leave the station unchallenged, which should have, in my view, directly implicated IBB. instead he was made a hero. There's obviously more to his maradonic ways that we may never know.
Re: February 13th In The History Of Nigeria by OIbhagui(m): 12:50am On Feb 14, 2012
@Latty88: He had two wives and had children. He was not caught with a prostitute; he escaped from her company by jumping through the window when the authorities were closing in. He was caught on the street
Re: February 13th In The History Of Nigeria by Nobody: 1:40am On Feb 14, 2012
Looks like ever since the Dimka coup in which Gowon’s name was mentioned as a co-backer of the coup, his(Gowon’s) demeanour has been like those of a coward, always sucking up to the Hausa-Fulani probably for fear that the dirt of Dimka could be un-earthed against him.

Look at what is happening in Jos, Gowon has never altered a single word against the marauding Hausa/Fulani who want to impose their religion on the Beroms.
i guess someone can't post anything on this forum without attracting tribalisic statements
Re: February 13th In The History Of Nigeria by Nobody: 2:00am On Feb 14, 2012
I believe that Muritala Mohammad's assassination was a plot by Obasanjo and YaraDua to seize power (a covert coup ) .

It is very strange for a coup to depend on radio station announcements alone.

Why would a coup leader go to British Embassy to ask to speak to Gowon?

Why was Obasanjo late for work that day?

Do Soldiers normally hide in civilian houses during coups?

Where was YaraDua during the coup?

Muritala Mohammed was hostile to America and the West and I believe that was why he had to go. Obasanjo has always been a western stooge.

Obasanjo and Babangida are life time friends so it does not surprise me that Babangida had a role in the outcome of Obasanjo becoming new head of state.

This guy Obasanjo is most deceitful person you would ever find. No wonder the country has gone to the dogs.

I believe Dimka was a fall guy and may have been tricked into making the coup announcement and other public statements undecided
Re: February 13th In The History Of Nigeria by Rhino5dm: 3:09am On Feb 14, 2012
And you think the best way of going about it is to invade our land or taking up arms without any meaningful plans? Did Ojukwu ever thought he's going to win the war?

Dude, Baifra was a big error and a huge mistake if you understand what i mean. You can peacefully demand for secession via various available and less harmful means. BTW, if you are so angry about "one Nigeria", then you should have some decency to see that Zik was the architect of your so-called one Nigeria. He specifically persuaded the north and west to take part in the force marriage. When the north and west came with the plan of having different independent countries, what was Zik's comment and reactions? Don't try to be a poor revisionist and make the Biafra a 1976 issue when most sincere historians knows that zik was the second biggest crimainal after Lord Lugard in this scam called One Nigeria.
Everything still boils down to greed.

Lastly, from the available statistics eastners have shown that they are really enjoying the so-called one Nigeria stuff, going by how majority seems to enjoy "unilateral" relationship and migration en mass to other regions.

High_Chief:

^^^You are right and am sure you are enjoying your "One Nigeria". Odeee
Re: February 13th In The History Of Nigeria by Rhino5dm: 3:36am On Feb 14, 2012
What do you expect them to do? Watch a pschopath called Ojukwu invades our land and make us slaves? Ojukwu boastfully said that Biafran army will remain in Lagos and occupy our land, until when he feels otherwise. Common!

He Ojukwu was a bloody mofo and he really underestimated the Yorubas, just the way many fools are still doing on this thread. You cant force your retarrded greedy ideology on us.

Ojukwu was just a replica of Hitler, a retarrded psychopath that thought the whole country should be under his control.

supereagle:

Without Yoruba Generals , Biafra will be a Nation today. They handled the most diffcult terrains in the warfront.
Re: February 13th In The History Of Nigeria by HighChief4(m): 4:09am On Feb 14, 2012
^^^Get your facts right before you start saying what you dont know. Ojukwu's comment had always been "On Aburi accord I stand". Ojukwu never planned for war nor declared war. Why did the gowon led govt renege on the Aburi accord? Igbos were being masacred everywhere while gowon turned his face, so tell me, what did you expect Ojukwu to do? If Ojukwu really wanted to seccede or planed to wage war, do you think he would have bothered going to aburi? Honestly, so many of you guys are still feeding into the lies your hausa masters told you and still telling you. Thats how they painted Ojukwu to you guys and thats how you see him, no wahala. But why are you people calling for the same SNC today? Such call has already vindicated Ojukwu. Shallom
Re: February 13th In The History Of Nigeria by Rhino5dm: 6:19am On Feb 14, 2012
^
You actually believe the call for SNC is a justification of failed Biafra? This is a peaceful process of carrying everybody along. Afteral Igbo man(Zik) was the sole architect of the mess called Nigeria.

You came with the usual regurgitated lies about 1967 and i pointed to you that Zik(Igbos man) was the sole architect that convince both north and west to accept the false marriage called Nigeria.

If Biafra was truely an ideology and not a self centered idea of a power-drunk-spoilt-**** to foist himself on you, then why is Biafra lieing in the casket waiting to be buried? Biafra was just a tool the pschopath called Ojukwu wanted to use to actualized his dreams. In the last 40 years, how many UN resolutions the Biafrans attempted to get? Nada! Zilch!!
Re: February 13th In The History Of Nigeria by jpphilips(m): 8:54am On Feb 14, 2012
I was in Form Four when this great and pragmatic leader was assassinated. To us in Kwara, it was double tragedy because our very efficient State Governor, Col. Taiwo was abducted and killed too. I remember that day, no classes were held and our teachers had a hectic time getting us to go for lunch. Many of us wept profusely for this men because we saw them as real patriots. Murtala took over the reins of government at a time when the previous government was power drunk and careless about the governance of the nation. His government literally hit the ground running. From day one, he was out to positively affect the lives of Nigerians. He did away with all the paraphernalia of office such as outriders. He visited the markets and spoke to ordinary market women. He wanted to feel what the ordinary Nigerians felt. He shunned flamboyancy in all its forms. He took decisions promptly and did not care whose ox was gored. He declared his assets and returned blocks of flats to the Federal Government because according to him, he could not account for them within his military pay. He was a true leader. Am I saying he was perfect? No, but he tried to be. Unfortunately, these policies pitted him against enemies not only within but from outside Nigeria. He single-handedly ensured Angola was granted independence by recognizing the MPLA as the sole representative of the Angolan people at the independence talks and when Britain was trying to block the resolution, he nationalized British Petroleum and pronto, Britain backed down. But from then he was a marked man by the M16 and CIA. Adieu Gen. Murtala Mohamm

during the war, i doubt if deltans will eulogize murtalla this much
Re: February 13th In The History Of Nigeria by jpphilips(m): 9:05am On Feb 14, 2012
^^^Get your facts right before you start saying what you dont know. Ojukwu's comment had always been "On Aburi accord I stand". Ojukwu never planned for war nor declared war. Why did the gowon led govt renege on the Aburi accord? Igbos were being masacred everywhere while gowon turned his face, so tell me, what did you expect Ojukwu to do? If Ojukwu really wanted to seccede or planed to wage war, do you think he would have bothered going to aburi? Honestly, so many of you guys are still feeding into the lies your hausa masters told you and still telling you. Thats how they painted Ojukwu to you guys and thats how you see him, no wahala. But why are you people calling for the same SNC today? Such call has already vindicated Ojukwu. Shallom

only if you knew ojukwu's plan for biafra, you will shoot him in the head
Re: February 13th In The History Of Nigeria by Latty88(f): 11:14am On Feb 14, 2012
Thanks @OIbhagui
Re: February 13th In The History Of Nigeria by dagboss(m): 11:32am On Feb 14, 2012
I thought this thread is about February 13th in the History of Nigeria not about Ojukwu or the civil war. Anyways that day was a very sad one for the whole country and particularly those of us living in Ilorin at that time. I was living in Ilorin with my senior bros who worked at the defunct Tate and Lyle Sugar Co. I just left high school the previous year. What made the day saddest was when the then military governor Col Ibrahim Taiwo was abducted from the government house by some of the coup plotters and driven to a spot along Ilorin Offa highway, according to the story we heard on getting to the spot he was asked to pull off his uniform and march into the savannah bush and was shot several times at the back. Late in the afternoon a team of top government officials including state commissioners mobilized and proceeded to look for him. According to the story common to everybody in Ilorin that time was that when the army vehicle pulled over from the main road, the coup plotters did not know that some Fulani cattle herdsmen were looking at them from a distance. The herdsmen became more curious when the man was asked to pull of his uniform, they the Fulanis became more interested and hid themselves from the soldiers until they finished their dastardly mission and buried him in a shallow grave. it was these herdsmen that led the high level search parties to the spot around 6.30pm after a long search, hence the decomposing body was exhumed and transported back to Ilorin. People were very sad and were weeping on the streets when they heard the news about the discovery, because Col Taiwo was loved in Kwara that time as he was seen as an action Governor. May his soul and that of others that died in the 1976 coup continue to rest in peace.

LAST LINE

I hope our bothers from the East of the Niger on Nairaland will learn a lesson from Europe, the rest of the world and particularly the Jews. If the nations that suffered most from the world wars unleashed on practically the whole world by Adolph Hitler and his so called Aryan race are still thinking the way some people are thinking about the Nigerian civill war, then no country will have anything to do with present day Germany. That i think is food for thought.
Re: February 13th In The History Of Nigeria by HighChief4(m): 2:20pm On Feb 14, 2012
Rhino.5dm:

^
You actually believe the call for SNC is a justification of failed Biafra? This is a peaceful process of carrying everybody along. Afteral Igbo man(Zik) was the sole architect of the mess called Nigeria.

You came with the usual regurgitated lies about 1967 and i pointed to you that Zik(Igbos man) was the sole architect that convince both north and west to accept the false marriage called Nigeria.

If Biafra was truely an ideology and not a self centered idea of a power-drunk-spoilt-**** to foist himself on you, then why is Biafra lieing in the casket waiting to be buried? Biafra was just a tool the pschopath called Ojukwu wanted to use to actualized his dreams. In the last 40 years, how many UN resolutions the Biafrans attempted to get? Nada! Zilch!!

You have failed to realize that Great Ojukwu did not wake up one morning and declare war, he had to protect his people from the pogrom. Like i earlier said, you are feeding into what you are told. Two bitter parties went to aburi and reached an agreement and the other party reneged, so who is at fault here? If gowon had respected the aburi accord, would Ojukwu had been talking about secession? NO. Would the war had been avoided? YES. Your mind has been programmed to view Ojukwu as the bad man, but good thing is that he is the most loved Igbo man by Ndigbo

jp philips:

only if you knew ojukwu's plan for biafra, you will shoot him the head

And what did your parents tell you was his plans? Seems one of them were his aide to have known his plans.
Re: February 13th In The History Of Nigeria by Rhino5dm: 3:56pm On Feb 14, 2012
^
Dude, you can't distort the well established fact that Ojukwu was just power drunk SOB. That said.

Progrom was a bye product of the selective killings meted on the northern and western political leaders. The finest! Only if you can estimate the love of the northerner to the leaders Igbos killed, during their 'greedy' coup.

You people went ahead to celebrate the cold blooded murder of Sardauna and Tafawa Balewa in the north, while allowing your leaders slip into exile delibrately. Una think say na only una get sense, abi? Akintola was a fine politician and Igbos eliminated him. Only to allow Zik the main conspirator ran into exile.

Guy believe on whatever makes you feel better.
Re: February 13th In The History Of Nigeria by T8ksy(m): 4:15pm On Feb 14, 2012
Rhino.5dm:

^
Dude, you can't distort the well established fact that Ojukwu was just power drunk SOB. That said.

Progrom was a bye product of the selective killings meted on the northern and western political leaders. The finest! Only if you can estimate the love of the northerner to the leaders Igbos killed, during their 'greedy' coup.

You people went ahead to celebrate the cold blooded murder of Sardauna and Tafawa Balewa in the north, while allowing your leaders slip into exile delibrately. Una think say na only una get sense, abi? Akintola was a fine politician and Igbos eliminated him. Only to allow Zik the main conspirator ran into exile.

The bolded portion is the main cause of the ibo's woes.

Yes, the ibos are smart but their main failing is in believing that all others are DUMB, BLIND & DEAF.

A typical example is their incursion(at the onset of the civil war) into yorubaland- after hearing of what occured in the Mid-

west region, BLF (sic) expected the yorubas to stand akimbo and watch as their land in turned into a battleground

between the fulanis and the ibos. To cap it all, at the end of all these wanton destruction of our land, Ojukwu will now

impose a  leader on us and will not leave our land UNTIL Ojukwu and his BLF believe we yorubas are capable of taking

care of our own affairs
. what an insult!!!
Re: February 13th In The History Of Nigeria by swizzle(m): 5:02pm On Feb 14, 2012
The problem with nairaland is that anybody can air his or her views, including views that even the toilet will immediately spit out  grin. Folks have all these bottled up ideas some of which were fed them by their parents. Whether we like it or not we will never fully know what happened before, during and after the civil war simply because the players are either dead or have chosen to keep quiet. If everything was known some villains will actually be heroes and vice versa.
Re: February 13th In The History Of Nigeria by tunnytox(m): 5:29pm On Feb 14, 2012
Can we have more video/publication on the feb 13th coup?
Re: February 13th In The History Of Nigeria by POTUT(m): 6:28pm On Feb 14, 2012
This report is very valuable. It puts the current chasm between the leaders of Nigeria and the people of Nigeria in perspective. How a Head of State could ride without escort as the order of the day, just one car short of how I see British Prime Minister on TV, in sharp contrast to today's masquerade-chasing-convoy of all executive office holders.

This is just one point to make out of so many.
Re: February 13th In The History Of Nigeria by dayokanu(m): 7:31pm On Feb 14, 2012
Rhino.5dm:

^

Guy believe on whatever makes you feel better.

The bolded is what some people conveniently choose to ignore

Without the coup of januray 15 1967, there wont be a pogrom in 1967.
Re: February 13th In The History Of Nigeria by bodejohn(m): 8:36pm On Feb 14, 2012
This write up has pointed a shining light at this dark period of our history. History do not die only individuals who are part of it do.
Key point for me in all that has happened in this nation is the lessons have we learnt. We have to learn from history before we also become part of history.
I heard there is a museum in Israel of pictures, names and happenings of the holocaust, at the exist of this museum is place a board with inscription in jew that the holocaust experience will not happen again. It pains me that the same selfishness that lead to all this events are still prevalent in our societies.
Re: February 13th In The History Of Nigeria by aswani(m): 9:25pm On Feb 14, 2012
Iyawo Dimka                             (Mrs. Dimka)
Ki lo wa se lo ja                         (Why are you at the market)

. . .
Mo wa r'ewedu - I have come to buy Ewedu
Ewedu e le lo - How much Ewedu
Ewedu oni sisi - 5 Kobo Ewedu
Tete ma lo le - Hurry up and go home
Won fe pa Dimka - They want to kill Dimka

(1) (2) (Reply)

We Will End Boko Haram By December – Army / Wike Summons Emergency Meeting Over Rising Insecurity In Abuja / You Are Incompetent And Corrupt –CPC Blasts Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.