Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,132 members, 7,829,032 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:51 PM

Is This Mpg Consumption Fair For Nigeria? - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Is This Mpg Consumption Fair For Nigeria? (2279 Views)

Over 250 000 cars for NIGERIA! Which car do YOU want to buy? / 9 Tips For Saving On Fuel Consumption / How Many Miles/km To A Full Tank: Or Mpg Does Ur Run? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is This Mpg Consumption Fair For Nigeria? by maxxy: 7:47am On Feb 14, 2012
I drive a 2000 Ford Explorer (6 cyl, 4.0 L, Automatic 5-spd) that I think is not fuel efficient. This is because the Mechanic says that my catalytic converters have been removed and am therefore burning fuel more than necessary, so I decided to do a test of the MPG (miles per gallon) in order to determine whether to replace the converters.

Results indicate that on the average, 2.5 gallons (9.5 litres) gives me 54 miles, which is approximately 21.5 MPG. This is driving within Lagos (Mainland to Island) in traffic I would consider fair. Other specs include driving at maximum of 70km/hr and without AC.

Is this fuel consumption fair?

Where are the gurus pls?
Re: Is This Mpg Consumption Fair For Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:46am On Feb 14, 2012
Hmmm: 21.5 mpg equates to abt 34km range on the afore-mentioned speed. Under serious traffic congestion, i believe U̶̲̥̅̊ wud get close to a quarter of the 21.5mpg U̶̲̥̅̊ mentioned, the figures are not impressive @​ all, D shape and weight (abt 2,200kg) of the vehicle doesn't help in this case.
Re: Is This Mpg Consumption Fair For Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:55am On Feb 14, 2012
A 4,0 6 cylinder in a heavy SUV, driven mostly in dense traffic situations, and returning 21 mpg. I would say that's great. What were you expecting? It is what it is.
Re: Is This Mpg Consumption Fair For Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:03am On Feb 14, 2012
@ siena, dat figure is for highway driving,not for 'stop and go' traffic.
Re: Is This Mpg Consumption Fair For Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:35am On Feb 14, 2012
I just got this from fueleconomy.gov, Fuel economy figures for the 2000 ford explorer, equipped with the 5speed auto gearbox : city- 14mpg, highway - 19mpg, combined-16mpg.
I think this will serve as a better yardstick for evaluating the fuel economy.
Re: Is This Mpg Consumption Fair For Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:37am On Feb 14, 2012
These figures are for the 4.0L 6cyl,
Re: Is This Mpg Consumption Fair For Nigeria? by maxxy: 10:48am On Feb 14, 2012
@ platinumricky - Am using this car in Lagos and Lagos traffic is generally 'stop and go' from Lagos Island to Mainland. You should check out 3rd Mainland Bridge and Agege Motor Rd (my daily route) between 5pm and 8pm every evening.

@ Siena 'da expat' - if my car is already doing great (as fueleconomy.gov also supports), do I need to replace the catalytic converter? Does it have other benefits aside reducing fuel consumption? My car should have two converters attached to the exhaust system, and according to the technical guy, both are absent.
Re: Is This Mpg Consumption Fair For Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:58am On Feb 14, 2012
platinumricky:

@ siena, dat figure is for highway driving,not for  'stop and go' traffic.

I must be seeing things then. Highway driving? This is what Maxxy posted:

maxxy:

Results indicate that on the average, 2.5 gallons (9.5 litres) gives me 54 miles, which is approximately 21.5 MPG. This is driving within Lagos (Mainland to Island) in traffic I would consider fair. Other specs include driving at maximum of 70km/hr and without AC.

43 mph isn't the most efficient speed range for the 4,0 Ford Explorer, especially with an auto tranny. The transmission will be continuously be down / up shifting. It's a pretty heavy mass to keep at that relatively low speed without the TCU / ECU having to make constant correction to match road speed to engine rpm. Even if cruise control was used, the fuel consumption at that speed will be higher than if the SUV was cruising at 65 mph.
Re: Is This Mpg Consumption Fair For Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:02am On Feb 14, 2012
maxxy:

@ Siena 'da expat' - if my car is already doing great (as fueleconomy.gov also supports), do I need to replace the catalytic converter? Does it have other benefits aside reducing fuel consumption? My car should have two converters attached to the exhaust system, and according to the technical guy, both are absent.

With your fuel consumption (which I consider good for the engine size and vehicle weight) I would be inclined to leave things as they are, unless you've got a Check Engine Light. If you've got no CEL, does it light up with the ignition on (just before you start the car)?

1 Like

Re: Is This Mpg Consumption Fair For Nigeria? by gulfer: 11:08am On Feb 14, 2012
maxxy:

I drive a 2000 Ford Explorer (6 cyl, 4.0 L, Automatic 5-spd) that I think is not fuel efficient. This is because the Mechanic says that my catalytic converters have been removed and am therefore burning fuel more than necessary, so I decided to do a test of the MPG (miles per gallon) in order to determine whether to replace the converters.

Is this fuel consumption fair?

Where are the gurus pls?
I am not sure this calculation is right or how were you able to determine 2.5 gallons (9.5litres). I will have that you do it with a full tank to half-tank measurement, use this to divide the mileage achieved. For instance my SUV with a fuel of 19.3gallons that travels within the lagos traffic using AC yields about 140miles to the half tank mark. Truck is rated at 19MPG combined (highway and city) while mine shows approximately 16MPG for the lagos stop and start traffic. I know it can be better and it is always better with lighter traffic. Best mileage on a full tank to the low fuel warning light has been about 320miles (514km) for 17.5gallons less reserve.
Re: Is This Mpg Consumption Fair For Nigeria? by Emperoh(m): 11:10am On Feb 14, 2012
I think the return for that size of SUV is pretty much and really quashes that perception that Fords are terrible
on gas returns.

But what i can put a head to is if the return will be better is the Catalytic converters are fitted back in.
I am tempted to think it will

Forgive my inexperience but are u sure the MAF sensor there as well?
Re: Is This Mpg Consumption Fair For Nigeria? by maxxy: 11:36am On Feb 14, 2012
@ gulfer - calculation was determined as follows: bought stated fuel from when the check gauge (low fuel) light came on and drove until it came back on.
Re: Is This Mpg Consumption Fair For Nigeria? by maxxy: 11:46am On Feb 14, 2012
Siena:

With your fuel consumption (which I consider good for the engine size and vehicle weight) I would be inclined to leave things as they are, unless you've got a Check Engine Light. If you've got no CEL, does it light up with the ignition on (just before you start the car)?

The CEL light, ABS, and others light up with the ignition on and go off thereafter.

Will I save fuel cruising at 65mph? Though opportunities to do that are few in Lagos.
Re: Is This Mpg Consumption Fair For Nigeria? by Ikenna351(m): 3:50pm On Feb 14, 2012
maxxy:

@ platinumricky - Am using this car in Lagos and Lagos traffic is generally 'stop and go' from Lagos Island to Mainland. You should check out 3rd Mainland Bridge and Agege Motor Rd (my daily route) between 5pm and 8pm every evening.

If I were you Maxxy, I would leave the SUV as it is like Siena suggested, considering that your SUV MPG is even better than the Fuelyeconomy.gov stated MPG of what the vehicle should give. Have you ever considered that the removal or absence of the Catalytic converter(s) could be the reason for the improvement in the fuel economy of the vehicle? No go carry your hand and money create wahala for yourself! After all, since you said "The CEL light, ABS, and others light up with the ignition on and off thereafter," which sounds ok or normal for me.

Ikenna.
Re: Is This Mpg Consumption Fair For Nigeria? by maxxy: 9:08am On Feb 15, 2012
Thanks all.

I will be leaving things as they are.

Many thanks again.
Re: Is This Mpg Consumption Fair For Nigeria? by cretin: 9:48am On Feb 15, 2012
hmmm, 21mpg for a big ol suv?!!, thats nice, i just hope ur data/analysis is ok, even a v6 3.5l highlander is rated at 23mpg tops, highway driving.
the CAT is primarily concerned with reducing emissions, n since no regulatory body here in naija, nobody to stop u from driving without CAT, JUST THA mother nature aint gonna be happy with u,
that aside i advice u to leave things as they r, i wish i cud lay my hands on that ur car, i wud really like to study/tear it down n solve the mystery of this exceptionally good mpg!
Re: Is This Mpg Consumption Fair For Nigeria? by nissparts(m): 10:03am On Feb 15, 2012
I dont see how you can compute mpg the way you have stated, it's completely inaccurate.
21mpg with Nigerian fuel?? Only in dreams my friend
Re: Is This Mpg Consumption Fair For Nigeria? by Ikenna351(m): 10:26am On Feb 15, 2012
nissparts:

I dont see how you can compute mpg the way you have stated, it's completely inaccurate.
21mpg with Nigerian fuel?? Only in dreams my friend

What is wrong with Nigerian fuel? I dont see anything wrong with it. I believe PMS use in Nigeria is 98 octane or so. As long as you buy from major marketers like AP, Mobil,TOTAL,etc, you shouldnt worry about the fuel quality. I dont even trust the NNPC Mega stations PMS. Their pump guages might be ok, but the quality nko?

Even if his calculation of his SUV MPG is inaccurate, it has nothing to do with quality of fuel in Nigerian market.

Ikenna.
Re: Is This Mpg Consumption Fair For Nigeria? by nissparts(m): 10:38am On Feb 15, 2012
Your "belief" and fact are two different things Ikenna.

MPG has a lot to do with fuel quality and FYI we have the lowest quality of fuel here which is why you have countless cars with bad o2 sensors, catalysts and knock sensors with some of them pinging on acceleration.

There's a simple test you can undertake if you care. Ask someone you know in America driving a car like, let's say Honda EOD on 98 octane what his mpg is and how many miles they manage to get per tank and then compare it with someone driving that same car in Nigeria(both cars in perfect condition and no CEL), the difference will be huge!

And even if by some miracle your oil marketers decided to further lessen their profits and import a better grade of fuel, 21mpg would still be impossible if you are driving in Lagos in an American 6cyl car/SUV
Re: Is This Mpg Consumption Fair For Nigeria? by Ikenna351(m): 10:58am On Feb 15, 2012
@Nissparts,

When you said ". Ask someone you know in America driving a car like, let's say Honda EOD on 98 octane what his mpg is and how many miles they manage to get per tank and then compare it with someone driving that same car in Nigeria(both cars in perfect condition and no CEL), the difference will be huge!",  honestly, it made me laugh. Please, point at an EOD that is still perfect condition in Nigeria. If any, very very few. Why? How many vehicle owners in Nigeria still maintain the use of coolant only in their cooling systems? How many still maintain the recommended factory tyres psi? How many keep to factory recommended oil grades? How many keep to factory recommended tyre sizes? How many still have their thermostat in the cooling systems? How many still have their Radiator electric cooling fans run as factory? See, i can go on & on, but the truth is that you can hardly get a vehicle in Nigeria that is in perfect condition to give the room for the comparison with vehicles in western world. So CEL or no CEL on instrument cluster, if any of the above mentioned has taken effect in a car, it will guzzle fuel like Hell!

Ikenna.
Re: Is This Mpg Consumption Fair For Nigeria? by nissparts(m): 11:01am On Feb 15, 2012
The EOD was simply an analogy.
You are free to switch it with any NEW vehicle of your choice and the fact would still remain the same

1 Like

Re: Is This Mpg Consumption Fair For Nigeria? by cretin: 11:55am On Feb 15, 2012
mpg is mpg, anywhere in the world,
u put 1 gallon of petrol in ur car and measure how many miles u drive it b4 it finishes, or u fill up ur tank zero ur trip meter/chk how many miles the fuel tank will last b4 it finishes, its the same principle the world over,

the only diff is that here in naija/'3rd world' one shud expect lower mpg's cos of the facts listed by ikenna below, so the fella getting 21mpg is really a big marvel!
Re: Is This Mpg Consumption Fair For Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:56am On Feb 15, 2012
Ikenna, I believe the point Nissparts is making, is fuel grade has an effect on the way it burns. Lower octane on a high-compression (10:1 and above) will give high fuel consumption. The knock sensors will ret[i]a[/i]rd the ignition timing to the point performance goes flat. To compensate, you'll be driving with a wider throttle angle than usual, which of course will slurp your juice quicker.

Higher octane fuel allows a modern engine to run with more timing advance, this makes the engine more efficient, and reduces fuel consumption.

There's more to fuel than just the octane number, there are additives, which may be lacking. Forget what the octane number on the Nigerian pump says, I'm willing to bet if samples were taken from 10 pumps, the results may not be what you'd expect. 98 octane may well be between 91 - 96. Lower octane may have less effect on an older engine that doesn't employ knock sensors, and is low compression (between 8,5:1 - 9,0:1). Less chance of detonation, though not ideal, as the lower burn rate will still encourage driving at WOT in the mid-range.

Then there's the "diluted" fuel factor in Nigerian fuels. Low detergent additives will cause sticking injector valves, and a poor spray pattern. The result? High fuel consumption. So Nissparts analogy is very valid. Nigerian fuel quality does not aid maximum fuel efficiency.
Re: Is This Mpg Consumption Fair For Nigeria? by nissparts(m): 12:13pm On Feb 15, 2012
That's the funny thing, Nigerian stations dont even bother to put any octane number cos they know what they are selling and of course they can get with it cos the average Nigerian doesnt know the difference and most dont even know what it means
Re: Is This Mpg Consumption Fair For Nigeria? by cretin: 12:52pm On Feb 15, 2012
@siena, we understand all that, the point is, so if mr a is sokoto wants to compare the fuel efficiency of his car with mr b is zamfara, that they shudnt bother?, we all know nigerian fuel is of low quality, even the rd side mechanic says it, that petrol is difff than what obtained in the 80/90s reddish color, quick to evaporate etc.

bearing all this in mind, we can still compare mpg's, or shud we just our arms and say we cant compare /dont hv mpg data?
Re: Is This Mpg Consumption Fair For Nigeria? by nissparts(m): 12:57pm On Feb 15, 2012
It's fine if you compare with each other but just making it obvious a calculation is incorrect if it purports to be 21mpg and even higher than obtains in US for that same vehicle
Re: Is This Mpg Consumption Fair For Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:07pm On Feb 15, 2012
cretin:

@siena, we understand all that, the point is, so if mr a is sokoto wants to compare the fuel efficiency of his car with mr b is zamfara, that they shudnt bother?, we all know nigerian fuel is of low quality, even the rd side mechanic says it, that petrol is difff than what obtained in the 80/90s reddish color, quick to evaporate etc.

bearing all this in mind, we can still compare mpg's, or shud we just our arms and say we cant compare /dont hv mpg data?

You're not getting it. I never said comparisons can't be made. My response was more to do with another poster, that felt fuel octane had little to do with fuel consumption, and that the 98 octane posted on all Nigerian pumps should be enough to convince the end user, that Nigerian fuel quality is excellent.

I'm pointing out the link between fuel grade and fuel consumption.
Re: Is This Mpg Consumption Fair For Nigeria? by gulfer: 1:24pm On Feb 15, 2012
nissparts:

It's fine if you compare with each other but just making it obvious a calculation is incorrect if it purports to be 21mpg and even higher than obtains in US for that same vehicle
Exactly what i also tried to allude to in my contribution earlier comment on this it appeared unusually high for a SUV. Thinking alould, could the odometer be calibrated in km/l rather than mile/gallon. Just my thought on this one.
Re: Is This Mpg Consumption Fair For Nigeria? by cretin: 1:52pm On Feb 15, 2012
@siena, good u clarified ur point, i understand now.but am still curious as to the cause of his good mpg readings, CAT not being there shud make the car guzzle more fuel.not less!
Re: Is This Mpg Consumption Fair For Nigeria? by pannyman(m): 9:17pm On Feb 18, 2012
My colleagues and me were discussing about this issue of quality of fuel in Nigeria just yesterday, Friday. The best mileage I can get from my V6 car is about 14mpg driving in the city even though a recent scan gave it a clean bill of health. It is supposed to give 20mpg for city driving from what I gathered on the Internet. It is clear the fuel we use burns too fast.

(1) (Reply)

Just Arrived An Extremely Clean pimped out Infiniti FX45 For Sale / Toyota Sienna 2008 Model / Golf 2 neat Body Auto Gear 120k sold

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.