Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,197 members, 7,953,726 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 01:09 AM

Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (1846) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion (9155628 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1843) (1844) (1845) (1846) (1847) (1848) (1849) ... (14373) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nihilist: 10:19pm On Jul 30, 2015
Blind is actually a very good defender.

His positioning, interception and tackling are top notch. His vision, ball control and passing abilities are superb.

Granted he's not very tall for a CB, but Cannavaro was a full 2 inches shorter and is widely regarded as one of the greatest CBs of the modern era.

I believe that LVG intends to utilise him as a ball playing centre back that could step into midfield when his team has possesion, and this could work very well.

The major downside to this plan is Blind's lack of 'substance'. Just imagine Lukaku, Benteke or Bony catching him one on one. Or Costa..that one na die.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by SailorXY: 10:21pm On Jul 30, 2015
JayKayMaybachz:
Herrera na boss for midfield
perhaps... but his interviews give him away as someone who'll tinker a lot still.

he could have just had Depay - Rooney - Mata as front -3- even for once to get an idea since according to him, he's deploying 4-3-3 for the season.
OR
he has an intention of using Depay @ AM with Young @ LWF which invariably means 2 out of Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, Herrera & Carrick will be benched! no two ways 'bout it.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by dopeJemi: 10:31pm On Jul 30, 2015
LVG will be very stoopid to ignore rojo and start blind in his position
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by chrisley024(m): 10:31pm On Jul 30, 2015
Nihilist:

His positioning, interception and tackling are top notch. His vision, ball control and passing abilities are superb.

Granted he's not very tall for a CB, but Cannavaro was a full 2 inches shorter and is widely regarded as one of the greatest CBs of the modern era.

I believe that LVG intends to utilise him as a ball playing centre back that could step into midfield when his team has possesion, and this could work very well.

The major downside to this plan is Blind's lack of 'substance'. Just imagine Lukaku, Benteke or Bony catching him one on one. Or Costa..that one na die.
he also lacks the speed needed for a defence playing highline.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by MrTA(m): 10:44pm On Jul 30, 2015
dopeJemi:
LVG will be very stoopid to ignore rojo and start blind in his position

Well Rojo hasnt had a preseason. so he'll need a few more weeks to get up to speed while the season starts next week.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by dopeJemi: 10:52pm On Jul 30, 2015
MrTA:

Well Rojo hasnt had a preseason. so he'll need a few more weeks to get up to speed while the season starts next week.

Then I'd rather we stick to jones and smalling in our defence
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by SailorXY: 11:06pm On Jul 30, 2015
Dadehmola:

My fear is that the partnership could actually be LVG's preferred option for the season (considering his "refusal" to sign a CB).

Darmian....Smalling...Blind...Shaw (Rojo)

Lawd - this is the kinda setup synonymous with clubs like Everton, West Ham & the likes!

I hope this man knows what he's doing.
well some times its not really by name. It's possible that with game-time, greater defensive bond can be forged.

Darmian & Shaw have been truely awesome in these past games. my biggest worry is if we can convert chances we create cuz we keep the ball better+upgraded midfield this term will reduce pressure on de Gea.

2 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by codedguy1(m): 11:37pm On Jul 30, 2015
Tvegas:
I feel you. Getting a CB shouldn't be taking this long. LVG should know that further experimentation with Blind will backfire big time.

How can you rotate a guy in 3 different positions within 2 seasons and expect him to succeed? Blind came as a DMF then he went to LB now he wanna proceed to CB? grin

LVG is a goat! Then relly on oga Rooney as CF. Start deploying depay in 3 diff position. Mata don turn RW player and he wants to win the league.

The guy is smoking undulterated wet ijaw weed from the rainforest in the Niger delta.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by PietroRico(m): 11:52pm On Jul 30, 2015
Sigh

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by ElFenomeno1: 5:28am On Jul 31, 2015
Thank fuc k LVG is not reading..... if he was, he would have had a heart attack LOL
Scummies fantasise so much about formations - constant slagging of players, formation talks, personnel etc is never ending around here but at the end of the day, only one man's decision matters and with that man in charge, Scummies will be forever chewing and gnashing grin
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 8:21am On Jul 31, 2015
The back will click. A few corections here and there. Some tactical talks on how to stick together to close the gaps. How to react to different situations.

Look at this pics. This defender played a PSG striker on while everyone else kept the offside trap. This enabled PSG to split our defence. We were lucky to clear from goal line. In the 76th minutes, they find a big gap again to split our defence.

There should be a good work before the season starts.

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 8:35am On Jul 31, 2015
All the talking points are the benefit of the preseason. Gaal has to go to work to review it all with last season EPL experience in mind. If there is a need to make adjustments to the team, then he should know what to do.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 8:36am On Jul 31, 2015
Are we still going to sell Evans and Rafael?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by parrotibaba(m): 8:42am On Jul 31, 2015
Nihilist:

baba u just said my mind ,I think LVG was looking for a ball playing left footed defender since last season n at a time it was Hummels but he didn't want to leave Dortmund. Blind played the CB role in last year's world cup a couple of times hence the reason why LVG was keen to try him out there ,the downside of blind is his physicality as u rightly pointed out ,he needs a bully to partner him in defense.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 9:06am On Jul 31, 2015
Where exactly did Januzaj play against Barca? Is it the number 9 or number 10? I have seen conflicting reports since then.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 9:13am On Jul 31, 2015
There is a defender I like so much in Athletic Madrid. That year they finished second in UCL, he caught my attention. Diego Godin. Does he still play well?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by chrisley024(m): 9:18am On Jul 31, 2015
elampiro:
Where exactly did Januzaj play against Barca? Is it the number 9 or number 10? I have seen conflicting reports since then.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by SailorXY: 9:28am On Jul 31, 2015
elampiro:
very unlikely
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by funlord(m): 9:32am On Jul 31, 2015
SailorXY:
very unlikely

What makes it unlikely? Rafael has already been put up 4 sale by the club! And jonny evans is wanted by everton and united have started negotiations with them over a swap or cash deal regarding john stones in case chelsea falters! They are both average players after all!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 9:32am On Jul 31, 2015
29/07/2015 14:34,
Opinion: Is Januzaj a modern striker?

ManUtd.com's Adam Marshall gives his view on howAdnan Januzajis emerging as a genuine option as a striker in Louis van Gaal's new-look United side...Adnan Januzaj looks a different ananimal lthis season. His decision to undergo extra work in Dubai with a fitness coach and colleague Luke Shaw has enabled him to hit the ground running for Manchester United out in America.

From the first glance of him as a substitute in the win over Club America, the Belgium international had clearly changed body shape. He appeared stronger, more muscular and no long the willowy winger who could sometimes be bullied by bruising defenders willing to cross the line with their marking.

As a supporter who has still not come to terms with seeing somebody other than Ryan Giggs in the no.11 shirt, it was as though this was another new man donning the jersey. Januzaj seems ready to thrive in the central role he craves, his enhanced physique enabling him to embrace the challenge with renewed confidence.Of course, operating as an attacker is nothing new to the 20-year-old. Reserves coach Warren Joyce used him in the position, teaching the youngster how to handle the hard knocks that inevitably accompany leading the line. One of his best performances during David Moyes' reign came as a striker during a 3-1 defeat at Chelsea's Stamford Bridge when he was still only 18.

Forward Thinking
It is now clear Louis van Gaal believes Januzaj can provide an option down the middle after enthusing about his cameo performanceagainst Barcelona at the weekend. "I have given him a chance in this position and you have tolook if he can do that or not," explained van Gaal. "But he has a lot of quality and, against Barcelona, he showed it for the first time. He was very good and was a threat as a striker in his 30 minutes. He always gives an option for midfielders and defenders. He scored awonderful goal and that is always important."

Januzaj has made no secret about his ambition to perform in a no.10 role, one of three positions he has occupied in the International Champions Cup matches, and an ability to play anywhere along the front line will be a real boon if the manager adopts a fluid attacking formation. The no.9 position brings its own demands but the player said on Saturdaythat he "really likes it because it gets me closer to the goal".

Speaking last season, Adnan explained how he is already accustomed to taking punishment from defenders because of his positive approach. "I do receive a lot of fouls but, okay, that's my game," he told ManUtd.com. "I take the kicks because I'm a dribbler and I like to go past people. So it's expected I will get a lot of free-kicks. I train hard all the time so I am used to getting the kicks."The hard work behind the scenes is starting to pay off. The desire to enhance his game and add more strings to his bow has become increasingly evident. "You can always improve by working on things in training," he said. "Your skill is just one example. To be honest, some of it comes naturally but, after training, for five or 10 minutes, I have been doing some crossing or practicing some skills by myself."

Januzaj will need all the tricks in his locker to unhinge central defenders in the way he saw off Marc Bartra when scoring the clincher against Barcelona at Levi's Stadium. Even if he does add more brawn to his game, he will never be the Muscles from Brussels. Fleet of foot and equally as quick in his thinking, he could become a very modern centre-forward. No.10 or new-age no.9?

His first senior goal may have been a header against Kitchee in a past tour game but he is not your archetypal no.9. The natural balance first noted by Sir Alex Ferguson can help him to strike straight through the heart of the opposition in a way mapped out for theman whose shirt he has adopted. As a 17-year-old of immense promise, Giggs was initially played off Mark Hughes in a role very different to the one where he would achieve legendary status.Whatever happens, Januzaj will retain the urge to run at people and, in his own words, make things happen.

His clever feints and dummies, something he has been doing since the age of five when messing around with his parents and even teasing people in the street, are capable of tying even the nimbler centre-halves in knots. Certainly, a central position should help him to discover an end product on a regular basis and build his goals and assists tally. His managerobservedthe shot parried out by Costel Pantilimon for Wayne Rooney's second goal last season was the first time Adnan had set up a goal during his tenure.

The display at the end of February against Sunderland, opponents for his extraordinary two-goal debut in 2013, was encouraging. Yet this was nothing in comparison to the way he dissected Barcelona's backline, admittedly one shorn of Gerard Pique six minutes afterJanuzaj's introduction, and staked an obvious claim for further appearances in attack.Van Gaal, like the fans, washeartenedby the forward's bold showing in Santa Clara. The challenge is clearly to replicate this sort of form on a regular basis and prove he is capable of filling any of the attacking slots in the manager's line-up. A 3-5-2 formation that did not ideally suit wingers for a spell last term was phased out and the system currently being deployed by theboss in the United States would seem tailor-made for direct attackers. Thingscould well be moving in Adnan's favourand it is now up to him to show he has the tools to come of age and consistently make his mark.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Odunharry(m): 9:39am On Jul 31, 2015
elampiro:
There is a defender I like so much in Athletic Madrid. That year they finished second in UCL, he caught my attention. Diego Godin. Does he still play well?
Wish we can get him or Miranda.. .
Godin is a leader in both club and country defence..
Very good in the air and strong too

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by SailorXY: 9:40am On Jul 31, 2015
funlord:

What makes it unlikely? Rafael has already been put up 4 sale by the club! And jonny evans is wanted by everton and united have started negotiations with them over a swap or cash deal regarding john stones in case chelsea falters! They are both average players after all!
are they the only average players in the squad?
besides if you display your wares on market day from dawn till dusk & nobody buy, no be carry your things go your house?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 9:43am On Jul 31, 2015
Odunharry:

Wish we can get him or Miranda.. .
Godin is a leader in both club and country defence..
Very good in the air and strong too

At least he can guide our young ones for the next two years. Or they bring Rio Ferdinand to come coach these boys how to organise the defence.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Odunharry(m): 9:55am On Jul 31, 2015
elampiro:

At least he can guide our young ones for the next two years. Or they bring Rio Ferdinand to come coach these boys how to organise the defence.
Nice. .I love the way he organises his defense...I will prefer the former. .I think on the field training will make them learn faster..doubt athletico will release him

Rating in FIFA 15 is 84 ..which to me is quite impressive
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by funlord(m): 10:06am On Jul 31, 2015
SailorXY:
are they the only average players in the squad?
besides if you display your wares on market day from dawn till dusk & nobody buy, no be carry your things go your house?

Our defence is the most average section of that team! And the transfer window is a time that clubs like 2 engage in a game of chicken and try 2 make the other clubs blink 1st in order to try and beat down the prices of players! Believe me as the end of the window gets nearer those 2 wack jobs will be gone! We need varane and otamendi 2 replace them!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by sinizia: 10:18am On Jul 31, 2015
Odunharry:
Wish we can get him or Miranda.. . Godin is a leader in both club and country defence.. Very good in the air and strong too
Miranda was sold this transfer window. We can't buy him even if we try.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Odunharry(m): 10:40am On Jul 31, 2015
sinizia:

Didn't even know
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by patrickmuf(m): 10:44am On Jul 31, 2015
sinizia:

Yeah he was sold to inter Milan... I think his place was already under threat from the other young Uruguayan centre back who formed a rock solid partnership with Godin last season
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 10:46am On Jul 31, 2015
elampiro:
Godin himself will not leave Athletico for anytin. Doubt Athletico ll even sell. But Godin! That man right there is one confam CB...
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by SIRcumalot: 11:13am On Jul 31, 2015
elampiro:
2nd time am saying this but this Rafael thing is very surprising ?
Why teams don't want to bet on evans is understandable,
Rafael isn't a bad player at all, the way he has falling since LVG arrived,be like pesin jinx am.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by SailorXY: 11:31am On Jul 31, 2015
SIRcumalot:

2nd time am saying this but this Rafael thing is very surprising ?
Why teams don't want to bet on evans is understandable,
Rafael isn't a bad player at all, the way he has falling since LVG arrived,be like pesin jinx am.
his fitness didn't help one bit, but then he's not alone in such regard!
Shaw, Blackett, Evans, Jones were all in the same pool last season...
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 12:38pm On Jul 31, 2015
31 Jul 2015 01:00:42

Suarez:
"I would like to retire at the club I love, Nacional," he said of his first professional club in an interview onESPN Deportes Radio. "But I also wantto return to Ajax someday."The MLS would not be a bad choice. Itcould happen one day. The US love of the game is growing a lot. People are filling the stadiums. "The Premier League is the best league in the world. But Barcelona are the best team."I do not consider myself one of the best players in the world but it is a pleasure to play in the best team."And we still have goals to fulfil. We want to become the first team to win consecutive Champions Leagues."We're very motivated this season. We are obliged to keep winning."Luis Enrique led Barca to a treble in his first season at the helm and Suarez says that the former midfield ace has an excellent working relationship with his players."The coach always makes the final decision but he is always open to our comments," the striker added. "I think we have to keep playing the same way next season."

- goal. com

From someone who has tasted both sides.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1843) (1844) (1845) (1846) (1847) (1848) (1849) ... (14373) (Reply)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.