Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,374 members, 7,819,348 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:45 PM

Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion (8738546 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (14149) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by RuuDie(m): 5:58am On Mar 19, 2012
Heck. . . . in Spain Pellegrini got fired for what - losing to FCB twice - after a record run of 12 wins!

*smh*

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by dayokanu(m): 6:14am On Mar 19, 2012
Louis Van Gaal has run into trouble in other leagues previously

He was sacked twice in Barca and once in Bayern

Heck Del Bosque got sacked at Madrid ater winning 2 leagues and 2 CL in 4 seasons because .. . .. He was from a low background

Juande Ramos was sacked by CSKA that must mean Russian media is tough or Russian league is hard

Santini was sacked by Auxerre

Top coaches are sacked in every league FACT

EPL gives the most leeway to coaches

Ferguson has been at Man Utd for 26yrs, Wenger at Arsenal for 16yrs, Moyes at Everton for 10yrs

Show me ANY league that has 3 coaches 10yrs and above on the same job

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by adebayo201: 8:10am On Mar 19, 2012
StarBoard:
Yeah Mourinho did it but how much did he spend on players to win 2titles without getting to the CL final?
A hapless Avram Grant used the same team plus mid-season signing Anelka to get to the final In his first attempt only losing because John Terry didn't hold his nerve.In that sense,JM coulda done better.When he lost the league in 06/07 he started manufacturing excuses and saw the writing on the wall about United the following season and decided to be a nuisance so he could get sacked.
Ancelotti went from double winner to dud the next season.
Despite his own resume.
Awaiting answers to the original question:Why did these high-profile coaches fail in Useless England?What's the probability that Louis van Gaal and Pep won't run into difficulty if they find themselves there?
wel,let them come and c if they culd make a change undecided
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 8:27am On Mar 19, 2012
dayokanu: Louis Van Gaal has run into trouble in other leagues previously

He was sacked twice in Barca and once in Bayern

Heck Del Bosque got sacked at Madrid ater winning 2 leagues and 2 CL in 4 seasons because .. . .. He was from a low background

Juande Ramos was sacked by CSKA that must mean Russian media is tough or Russian league is hard

Santini was sacked by Auxerre

Top coaches are sacked in every league FACT

EPL gives the most leeway to coaches

Ferguson has been at Man Utd for 26yrs, Wenger at Arsenal for 16yrs, Moyes at Everton for 10yrs

Show me ANY league that has 3 coaches 10yrs and above on the same job

dayokanu,
That answer is as watery as an impotent man's seminal fluid.
Top coaches are sacked in every league?Are they sacked,just for the sake that is just another league that must sack a top coach?
How about the fact that those listed coaches found the going tough in soft,cheesy England whereas they were able to succeed in places/competitions that were a lot tougher?
You fail to get my point.
If according to you and Krayola, the EPL is wack,how come World Cup winners, CL winners, Europa League winners, Euro Championship winners couldn't deliver the goods there, with the resources at their disposal?

As per leeway,I'm pretty sure the EPL is not alone.Guy Roux spent 44 years at Auxere and left as recently as 2005.Check that out for yourself.
Even in your own Bundesliga, there is a fellow called Thomas Schaaf with Bremen since 1999 (13 years) even though he's won titles.
So kill that argument.
You talk about van Gaal,are you preparing a possible excuse before he fails,if he gets into the EPL?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Krayola(m): 12:20pm On Mar 19, 2012
StarBoard:
If according to you and Krayola, the EPL is wack,how come World Cup winners, CL winners, Europa League winners, Euro Championship winners couldn't deliver the goods there, with the resources at their disposal?

I never on this thread said the EPL is wack. I said that I think media pressure in England is not any more stressful on coaches than it is in any other league, and that I do not buy into the idea that media pressure was a major factor in their (coaches) sackings. Now I'm not saying that the EPL is not wack, I'm just saying that I never, on this thread, said that it is.

StarBoard:

Top coaches are sacked in every league?Are they sacked,just for the sake that is just another league that must sack a top coach?

Most of the time coaches are sacked because they fail to meet the expectations of their employers.

StarBoard:

How about the fact that those listed coaches found the going tough in soft,cheesy England whereas they were able to succeed in places/competitions that were a lot tougher?

TBH I think when a team is unsuccessful it isn't always on the coaches. Especially when we're just talking short periods. For example I don't think Chelsea's recent form is necessarily because Di Matteo is a better coach than AVB, and if they do go on to secure third place and even win the champions league, I probably still won't think Di Matteo is a better coach than AVB. Now Di Matteo may be a better coach, just saying I won't say that based on what happened over one quarter of a season. That's just me though I can't speak for anyone else.

Scolari was fired in his first season, I think, after a poor run of form. I thought it was a very hasty decision but no be me get club. Ancelotti was fired the season after winning a domestic double. Mourinho came and won in his first season as well, and took Chelsea further than they have ever been in the CL. Ranieri didn't do much at Chelsea, but I don't think he had a solid CV and he still hasn't done anything special at any other club in any other league since. Juande Ramos is one that I would call a flop because that's exactly what he was. And when you mention CL let's not forget that the holy messiah on EPL coaches, Ferguson, has won only 3 European cups in his over 2 decade career.
I think your assessment of these foreign coaches is harsh. . . . I think some of them did pretty darn well tbh.

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 12:53pm On Mar 19, 2012
Krayola:
I never on this thread said the EPL is wack. I said that I think media pressure in England is not any more stressful on coaches than it is in any other league, and that I do not buy into the idea that media pressure was a major factor in their (coaches) sackings. Now I'm not saying that the EPL is not wack, I'm just saying that I never, on this thread, said that it is.

it is more stressful in england than anywhere else. england is where the money is - not spain and definitely not italy or germany.
the amount of money bandied around in the premier league is the singular reason there's a huge pressure on club managers to deliver for their chairmen.
failing that, there's a huge axe hanging over their heads and it's the media that trigger revolt amongst the fans - the fans would then turn against the club owners or the club manager and there would be a shake-up.

epl is wack? choke on that!

Most of the time coaches are sacked because they fail to meet the expectations of their employers.

and the employers are forced to sack after reading the news or listening to sky on how pathetic the club is performing.
sky would put a poll and people would vote. sky would stick microphones in the mouths of the fans whose opinions are beamed live to the rest of the world.
of course, the chairmen's hands are forced to do something. if they lose the trust of their fans, the attendance would drop and no money would be made.

TBH I think when a team is unsuccessful it isn't always on the coaches. Especially when we're just talking short periods. For example I don't think Chelsea's recent form is necessarily because Di Matteo is a better coach than AVB, and if they do go on to secure third place and even win the champions league, I probably still won't think Di Matteo is a better coach than AVB. Now Di Matteo may be a better coach, just saying I won't say that based on what happened over one quarter of a season. That's just me though I can't speak for anyone else.

good point!

Scolari was fired in his first season, I think, after a poor run of form. I thought it was a very hasty decision but no be me get club. Ancelotti was fired the season after winning a domestic double. Mourinho came and won in his first season as well, and took Chelsea further than they have ever been in the CL. Ranieri didn't do much at Chelsea, but I don't think he had a solid CV and he still hasn't done anything special at any other club in any other league since. Juande Ramos is one that I would call a flop because that's exactly what he was. And when you mention CL let's not forget that the holy messiah on EPL coaches, Ferguson, has won only 3 European cups in his over 2 decade career.
I think your assessment of these foreign coaches is harsh. . . . I think some of them did pretty darn well tbh.

sheer ignorance.

ancelotti was fired because he lost to man utd in last season's champions league quarter-final with a team many thought was stronger than man utd.
he lost the league to man utd as well and that's after spending almost £100m to acquire torres, luiz and ramirez. he must have promised roman abramovic to deliver and he failed his promise.

mourinho did not take chelsea further than where ranieri left them.
ranieri took chelsea to the champions league semis in 03/04 after beating arsenal at highbury. jose mourinho never got past the semis as well.
so what do you mean further than?

ferguson has won 4 european cups in his career.
1 for aberdeen, 3 for man utd(which includes 2 champions league). if you take the fact that he's a long term manager unlike pep guardiola or jose mourinho who can only operate in clubs with financial doping, i think the messiash of the epl has done well for himself. he practically built his own empire and he's still relevant in modern football after 3 decades! guardiola inherited a team of world class players - same as mourinho. ferguson/wenger did not!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by MrTA(m): 1:20pm On Mar 19, 2012
and the employers are forced to sack after reading the news or listening to sky on how pathetic the club is performing.
sky would put a poll and people would vote. sky would stick microphones in the mouths of the fans whose opinions are beamed live to the rest of the world.
of course, the chairmen's hands are forced to do something. if they lose the trust of their fans, the attendance would drop and no money would be made.

I think you are definitely over-egging the importance of the media in the hiring and sacking of managers.

Im not convinced the media played any major role in the sackings of any of Chelsea's sacked managers.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by MrTA(m): 1:34pm On Mar 19, 2012
In other more important news...

73 - Manchester United are the first team in Premier League history to score 70+ goals after 29 games of the season.

cool
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 1:50pm On Mar 19, 2012
Mr_TA:

I think you are definitely over-egging the importance of the media in the hiring and sacking of managers.

Im not convinced the media played any major role in the sackings of any of Chelsea's sacked managers.

the media certainly did.
they can make and unmake, make or mar!!!

who asked villas-boas the question that made him answer he didn't need the support of his players??
you think those questions are coincidental or deliberate? it's worse when the manager is foreign - they would put horrible questions you would answer awkwardly and by the time they put it on the news, the manager would look clueless!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by MrTA(m): 2:32pm On Mar 19, 2012
Alot was going on behind the scenes way before that happened. The senior players had the ear of Roman. Once that happened AVB was a dead man walking. All this would have happened with or without the influence of the media. Its pretty obvious Roman is very cut throat. The media didnt want Jose to lose his job they loved Jose. Same with Carlo. With AVB he made his own bed with the senior players at the club but he didnt stand a chance once those guys had direct access to Roman. Roman does what he wants regardless of what anyone thinks.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by chamotex(m): 2:49pm On Mar 19, 2012
StarBoard:
So because Arsenal haven't won anything in 7years,we should sink to the depth of "thanking God for what we have?"
Why don't they (Arsenal) thank God they aren't like Wigan who never win anything but compete just to stay in the Premier League.?Aftersll they both don't win any trophies.
My point(in case you haven't gotten it) is:
Even if we win the league,this season is still an aberration given our shockingly disgraceful European campaign.
Last year, we regained the title much against the backdrop of most pundits not tipping us for the title.We also got to the final of the CL.Mirror that with this season where marabouts kept beating us all over Europe,and tell me whether winning the league will amount to anything worth screaming about when folks ( fans and pundits alike) expected us to raise the level of our game and make a serious foray into Europe.
Stop celebrating mediocrity by comparing us to Arsenal.It's only Arsenal that celebrate meaningless statistics like winning 4 games on the TDO after Conceeding first,just because they can remember what it's like to win anything.
We are bigger than that.We should be thinking of European domination at this stage after so many league titles won;much like what Barca is threatening to do, instead of this local-champion mentality we have when we know we can navigate the EPL with Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs as pilots in out central midfield but get schooled by European minnows and misfits.Barca won't mind losing the league cus they've won it three times on the spin:a fourth win won't mean as much to them as retaining the CL title would to them.Hence my plea for you to put things in perspective.
While I will not gloss over the fact that it has been a torrid season and for us to be in contention despite all the injuries is a credit to us,I'm under no illusions as to the quality of our side and the truth remains that we have a mediocre side bossing a pretty much sub-par EPL at the moment where the London clubs and Liverpool are fighting for fourth but simply can't get our act together in Europe.Unless our midfield is overhauled,expect more back-water European teams to come and take points of us at what used to be Fortress OT in Europe.

I am not talking about Europe here, everyone knows we've been completely useless and utterly rubbish in Europe this season, no question about that.
That's why I highlighted the league and that's what I'm talking about.
I don't see how retaining a title will not be an achievement. We are out of Europe cos we've been disgraced by mostly every team, should we pack up the season then and hand the title to Man City because of that?

I also disagree with your "local champion mentality" quote.
One bad season in Europe is not a disaster, c'mon man. We've been atrocious this season no doubt but I wont call 3 CL final in 4 years 'local champion mentality'.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 2:59pm On Mar 19, 2012
Mr_TA: Alot was going on behind the scenes way before that happened. The senior players had the ear of Roman. Once that happened AVB was a dead man walking. All this would have happened with or without the influence of the media. Its pretty obvious Roman is very cut throat. The media didnt want Jose to lose his job they loved Jose. Same with Carlo. With AVB he made his own bed with the senior players at the club but he didnt stand a chance once those guys had direct access to Roman. Roman does what he wants regardless of what anyone thinks.

their opinion of jose was pretty much divided in 2007. when the results weren't going jose's way, they stuck the dagger.
they forced jose to say some certain players were class a eggs and class c eggs. meaning - roman acquired mediocre players instead of world class players.

chamotex:
I am not talking about Europe here, everyone knows we've been completely useless and utterly rubbish in Europe this season, no question about that.
That's why I highlighted the league and that's what I'm talking about.
I don't see how retaining a title will not be an achievement. We are out of Europe cos we've been disgraced by mostly every team, should we pack up the season then and hand the title to Man City because of that?

I also disagree with your "local champion mentality" quote.
One bad season in Europe is not a disaster, c'mon man. We've been atrocious this season no doubt but I wont call 3 CL final in 4 years 'local champion mentality'.

no one gave united any chance at the start of the season with that midfield.
i remember saying we would walk the league but a european title is unachievable with the number of injuries and how fergie treated the group games with disdain.
thankfully, the disgrace would itch fergie's hands to buy eden hazard or any other high scoring central midfielder.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 3:05pm On Mar 19, 2012
So at a club like United's you're saying a bad season in Europe is not a disaster?
I'm trying to get you.
If we have been disgraced by other teams in Europe,it's not a bad season by you.
Especially when we get doctored and lectured by Europe's lowly sides?
Winning the League will just paper over the cracks.Simple.We've grown beyond the stage of just relying on winning the league and concluding the season was a success.
As for the local champion thing,we are in danger of sliping into that mode.A case can be made for that to be tagged on us judging from our season.
Or what do you think?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 3:15pm On Mar 19, 2012
StarBoard: So at a club like United's you're saying a bad season in Europe is not a disaster?
I'm trying to get you.
If we have been disgraced by other teams in Europe,it's not a bad season by you.

3 champions league finals in the last 4 seasons is not a disaster. if it is, what should we then call real madrid's inability to play in a final for 10 years. what about bayern's decade of fruitlessness or barcelona's long period in the wilderness when they were not reckoned with until rijkaard changed things around. dominance in the football world is cyclical - between 3-4 yrs(maximum).

only teams with financial doping or a strong academy system can continue to maintain dominance in europe. united's team that dominated from 2007-2011 has grown older. the debt means we can no longer afford the type of players madrid/barcelona can get so one should expect a decline in the performance as rio, vidic, van der sar, scholes, giggs are no longer what they used to be - their replacement are also one or 2 levels below the old dogs.

we are now in the 05/06 season all over again. waiting for rafael, fabio, jones, smalling, cleverley, anderson, etc to mature and dominate europe in the next couple of years.

Winning the League will just paper over the cracks.Simple.We've grown beyond the stage of just relying on winning the league and concluding the season was a success.
As for the local champion thing,we are in danger of sliping into that mode.A case can be made for that to be tagged on us judging from our season.
Or what do you think?

winning the league is the pinnacle of achievement. some fans would take that even more than the european champions league. if you can do the 2, it's all good.
you think liverpool are happy where they are? go to rawk and see raw frustration their fans go through. they want the league title more than anything else.
the premier league is the toughest league to win. any team that wins it must have earned the rights to do so and yes the local champion thingy is just a farce.
chelsea that currently lie in the 5th position is still in europe so how are united a local champion? if chelsea win the champions league or get to the final, would united still be a local champion?

in another news, pep guardiola wants rafael/fabio in barcelona. cry cry cry cry
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by chamotex(m): 3:22pm On Mar 19, 2012
no one gave united any chance at the start of the season with that midfield.
i remember saying we would walk the league but a european title is unachievable with the number of injuries and how fergie treated the group games with disdain.
thankfully, the disgrace would itch fergie's hands to buy eden hazard or any other high scoring central midfielder.

I think most people expect Man City to win it easily this season.

StarBoard: So at a club like United's you're saying a bad season in Europe is not a disaster?
I'm trying to get you.
Or what do you think?

It's bad but not a disaster - we failed to qualify in 05/06 when we were even bottom of the table, the following season we got to the semis, the season after we won it.

One bad season in Europe out of the last six is not a disaster.

Winning the EPL is not an easy feat too especially with Man City(our bitter rival) being our main contender with all the money they've spent recently.
I can even say this might even be the biggest achievement if we win the league this season with the 'shitty' squad we have coupled with the emergence of Man City as a powerhouse.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 3:31pm On Mar 19, 2012
chamotex:
I think most people expect Man City to win it easily this season.

everyone but united fans expected city to run with it. if city have fergie as their manager, they should be 8 points ahead by now.

It's bad but not a disaster - we failed to qualify in 05/06 when we were even bottom of the table, the following season we got to the semis, the season after we won it.

thank you!

One bad season in Europe out of the last six is not a disaster.

united have the best record in europe. they have won most games, scored more goals.
they even have the longest unbeaten record in the competition and yes english league is rubbish.

Winning the EPL is not an easy feat too especially with Man City(our bitter rival) being our main contender with all the money they've spent recently.
I can even say this might even be the biggest achievement if we win the league this season with the 'shitty' squad we have coupled with the emergence of Man City as a powerhouse.

barcelona would not win the premier league with their paper thin squad, the lack of winter break and the physical nature of the games.
guardiola using only one team formation throughout in a 38-game season won't work in the premier league where a team must adapt to different formations to beat their rivals. winning the premier league is biggest feat in europe.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by chamotex(m): 3:43pm On Mar 19, 2012
coogar:

everyone but united fans expected city to run with it. if city have fergie as their manager, they should be 8 points ahead by now.

thank you!

united have the best record in europe. they have won most games, scored more goals.
they even have the longest unbeaten record in the competition and yes english league is rubbish.

barcelona would not win the premier league with their paper thin squad, the lack of winter break and the physical nature of the games.
guardiola using only one team formation throughout in a 38-game season won't work in the premier league where a team must adapt to different formations to beat their rivals. winning the premier league is biggest feat in europe.

The league is not over yet - I feel there will be more twists and turns. I don't think we would win all our games before the Citeh one.
But we are in a much better position than we were 2/3 weeks ago.

I can understand Starboards frustration though.
After last weeks CL final, we expected to build from that.
I didn't expect us to win it again to be honest after seeing the way Barca improved their squad but I was almost certain we would get to the late stages.

It's Fergie's fault for failing to add to the squad where necessary and the bloody team selection cost us so many times.
To me personally, the league is a priority, that's the marathon (survival of the fittest). The league and any other trophy with CL the main one.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 3:53pm On Mar 19, 2012
chamotex:
The league is not over yet - I feel there will be more twists and turns. I don't think we would win all our games before the Citeh one.
But we are in a much better position than we were 2/3 weeks ago.

i don't expect us to win all our games before the city game but city won't win theirs too. without vincent kompany, they are very ordinary.
they still have to go to the emirates and they host chelsea on wednesday. they could drop 6 points easily in those games. by the time we play city, we could be7 points clear.

I can understand Starboards frustration though.
After last weeks CL final, we expected to build from that.
I didn't expect us to win it again to be honest after seeing the way Barca improved their squad but I was almost certain we would get to the late stages.

all fergie should have done was bring in 2 central midfielders of the highest quality. sneijder and hamsik would have taken us a long way in europe.

It's Fergie's fault for failing to add to the squad where necessary and the bloody team selection cost us so many times.
To me personally, the league is a priority, that's the marathon (survival of the fittest). The league and any other trophy with CL the main one.

i want to win the league this season and i am sure that is on fergie's mind as well. the fact that it's a chase between him and man city makes him hungrier.
if we were dragging this with chelsea or tottenham, we might not have been this serious. this is our best season in the league as far as accrued points are concerned, it's baffling to think we could finish with more than 90 points this season which is unprecedented in our history.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by chamotex(m): 4:00pm On Mar 19, 2012
How long is Kompany out for? I hope Savic plays cheesy
How can Mancini sell Onuoha and purchased Savic? Smh

I'm not sure they can lose to Chelsea at home - Im hoping for a draw at best.
It's the Arses I'm hoping will do us a favour - but we know u cant bet your house on that.
Either way it will be an interesting race - Manchester will be hot come May.

Fredy Guarin went to Inter in January - that would have been a good signing.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 4:18pm On Mar 19, 2012
chamotex: How long is Kompany out for? I hope Savic plays cheesy
How can Mancini sell Onuoha and purchased Savic? Smh

I'm not sure they can lose to Chelsea at home - Im hoping for a draw at best.
It's the Arses I'm hoping will do us a favour - but we know u cant bet your house on that.
Either way it will be an interesting race - Manchester will be hot come May.

Fredy Guarin went to Inter in January - that would have been a good signing.

mancini is an idiot. he has an abundance of midfielders and strikers but he failed to buy quality defenders.
city have no quality replacements for their centre-halves. once kompany is out, they look very ordinary.

united without rio/vidic would manage with evans, smalling, jones, carrick and berbatov. grin grin grin
chelsea have found form again like they always do at this time of the season. chelsea might win all their remaining games. they cancelled out a 15-point deficit on us last season. they know what it takes to chase and i expect them to finish in the top 4 from now on. i don't think the premier league would ever come to london again.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by dayokanu(m): 4:24pm On Mar 19, 2012
The golden question still remains how come Arsene Wenger and David Moyes havent been sacked in 7yr and 10yrs of trophylessness so whats the pressure?

Tell us any other league where a manager has held a job that long while remaining trophyless

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by MrTA(m): 4:47pm On Mar 19, 2012
I think if we win the league this season it is a huge achievement. I personally didnt expect us to win but will be very very happy to be proved wrong. The difference is Fergie. Im personally convinced he would have won the league with the squads of the current top 4. With City's squad he would have been crowned EPL champs by end of March.

@dayokanu. I think the expectation at those clubs is very different. Arsenal had just moved to a new stadium which cost an arm and a leg. not saying they dont spend money but compared to the title winners in the last 7 yrs they haven't spent as much. Also, have a look at what Moyes has spent during his time at Everton and compare to his counterparts. To even finish 4th at any stage is a huge achievement for Everton.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 4:59pm On Mar 19, 2012
dayokanu: The golden question still remains how come Arsene Wenger and David Moyes havent been sacked in 7yr and 10yrs of trophylessness so whats the pressure?Tell us any other league where a manager has held a job that long while remaining trophyless

who would sack wenger and david moyes? they operate on a shoe-string budget and yet they still punch above their weights every season thus making money for their chairmen. wenger has built dynasties in the past. he enjoyed tremendous success, 2 league titles in 3 seasons at a point. he won several number of fa cups as well when the league was a level playing field. in 2003, abramovic changed the whole scenery with vast amount of money.

wenger's chairman must know it's not humanly possible for arsenal to compete with chelsea/man utd. now, there's city and tottenham in the frame which means more misery heaped on wenger but still he does enough to get into the champions league. what wenger makes for arsenal finishing in the top four is much more than what league leaders get in some parts of europe. chairmen are only bothered about finances, trophies are for bragging rights amongst the fans.

david moyes would stay more than 30 yrs at everton. the only season everton spent more than £20m in a transfer window was the season after they had sold rooney to man utd. in the other seasons, everton has never spent more than £20m in a season. so what do you expect from him? the champions league? to whom much is given, so much is even expected. comparing this to villas-boas, scolari, mourinho, etc is a classic brainfart!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by dayokanu(m): 6:26pm On Mar 19, 2012
^^ So the Levantes, Mainz, Lecce etc who sack their coaches

Or Valencia, Schalke and Juventus who sack their coaches give them unlimited funds to compete?

The Blackburns, Wolves, Sunderlands who sack their coaches give them billions to spend?

I still maintain Wenger etc in other leagues would have been sacked way back That fact was alluded to by his captain Fabregas

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 9:07pm On Mar 19, 2012
dayokanu: ^^ So the Levantes, Mainz, Lecce etc who sack their coaches

Or Valencia, Schalke and Juventus who sack their coaches give them unlimited funds to compete?

The Blackburns, Wolves, Sunderlands who sack their coaches give them billions to spend?

I still maintain Wenger etc in other leagues would have been sacked way back That fact was alluded to by his captain Fabregas

all the clubs you mentioned don't make as much money as arsenal and they don't operate with the same budget as arsenal.
the board is happy with what arsene wenger is doing so who would sack him?

with blackburn, wolves and sunderland, the board is not happy with the managers. they don't win anything, they don't make any money
arsenal are the 4th richest team in europe - the board is very happy with that and they know only wenger could have pulled out such numbers with the meanest of budget.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by debosky(m): 10:46pm On Mar 19, 2012
dayokanu: The golden question still remains how come Arsene Wenger and David Moyes havent been sacked in 7yr and 10yrs of trophylessness so whats the pressure?

Tell us any other league where a manager has held a job that long while remaining trophyless

If you can show me a league where a manager has held his job as long as Fergie has with his level of success, then I'll explain to you why you shouldn't compare agbalumo to strawberries.

The EPL thrives on stability - if the best coach in the land has been allowed to get on with his job with minimal interference for decades, it is clear that other clubs will ultimately aim to emulate that success by buying into the same idea of continuity. That is clearly the functioning model of the EPL

If Wenger was in Spain he would've been sacked, not because of quality, but because the most successful sides in Spain are sack-a-holics in general. Real sack coaches whether they win or not, Barca does much of the same albeit with a little more continuity.

If the best teams sack at will, everyone else will follow. I bet that if Utd had sacked Fergie in 2006/7 or thereabouts Wenger too would've gone not long after. As long as the winning model in the EPL has continuity at its heart, other teams will try to emulate that.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by chic2pimp(m): 12:46am On Mar 20, 2012
dayokanu: ^^ So the Levantes, Mainz, Lecce etc who sack their coaches

Is that even up for debate. Same applies to fergie and the very average David Moyes.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by AlabaSlim: 10:10pm On Mar 20, 2012
@coogar
if utd were playin in d la-liga,dey wld neva lift d league & fergie wld hav bin SACKED datz 4 SURE
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 8:10am On Mar 21, 2012
Alaba_Slim: @coogar
if utd were playin in d la-liga,dey wld neva lift d league & fergie wld hav bin SACKED datz 4 SURE
Point noted.. Oya crawl back to Ur hole
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by RuuDie(m): 8:49am On Mar 21, 2012
The crux of the matter is, we are too ingrained in the English game and in fact, help them 'overhype' every little thing that happens there.

In every league, managers are axed. . . .in every single country, footie managers are endangered species. Some individual clubs have sacked more managers than the entire EPL in one season, we don't hear any noise. But one manager gets sacked in the EPL and you hear the Brits going on for a seeming eternity about how their football clime is the hardest to survive in all the world. Well, then again. . . I guess its all part of the publicity gimmicks!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by chamotex(m): 10:45am On Mar 21, 2012
Vieira says bringing back Scholes shows weakness.
Mancini bringing back Tevez after he claimed Tevez will never play for Man City again is what?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by RuuDie(m): 10:49am On Mar 21, 2012
chamotex: Vieira says bringing back Scholes shows weakness.
Mancini bringing back Tevez after he claimed Tevez will never play for Man City again is what?

Weakness ^ 2

grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (14149) (Reply)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021

Viewing this topic: 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.