Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,277 members, 7,864,407 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 05:45 PM

Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (3276) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion (8876196 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3273) (3274) (3275) (3276) (3277) (3278) (3279) ... (14217) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Danhumprey: 9:40pm On Sep 11, 2016
RuuDie:

To be frank, Rooney does pose a problem for managers and other players, selection and position-wise... for me personally, I cringe when I see Mikhi out on that flanks - from what I've seen in his Dortmund games, that is not his "best" or "most influential" position!
spot on. It's what we've been saying over and over.

But people like Elamp won't just agree.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by AdisaOwala: 9:44pm On Sep 11, 2016
RuuDie:
Still early days, but I am impressed with Zlatan. My major worry about him was that 'unseriousness' that sometimes accompanies his 'over-confidence'. He has shown a good, positive attitude on the field so far and it is heartwarming and I absolutely have no shame in eating my words if he continues this way.

Same here bruh...

I never supported the decision to sign him due to his languid and "i-be-star-player" style of play (plus his age) but the swede's attitude/all-round contribution has been pretty impressive so far.

It's Still early days though but if Mourihno manages to keep him fresh and fit, Ibrahimovic might be one of our most important players this season.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Danhumprey: 9:46pm On Sep 11, 2016
Y'all criticizing Daley Blind should calm down. The grass isn't always greener on the other side. Who know how Smalling would have fair?

The way Pogba lose possession ehn! Someone better talk to him. angry
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 9:47pm On Sep 11, 2016
chrisley024:
If...If Clattenburg had gotten his decision right Bravo would have been sent off and Utd awarded a pen. If!

Refree mistakes happen, after spending. Over 150m, You would expect Utd to Put on a good fight not that hogwash.

2 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by chrisley024(m): 9:54pm On Sep 11, 2016
Wingback:

Refree mistakes happen, after spending. Over 150m, You would expect Utd to Put on a good fight not that hogwash.
Ya, if they played well. If...
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 9:58pm On Sep 11, 2016
chrisley024:

There are no Ifs, United have no excuse for such woeful display except Mourinho's tactical ineptness
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by tess1(m): 9:58pm On Sep 11, 2016
Diademk07:

I know Lingard and Mkhi were really bad and deserved their criticism but most of it were due to be isolated.. They had to drop deep, thereby having no space to operate while inviting lot of pressure.

Our switch to a 3-man tactic rectified that in the second half but I tell you if Martial or Rashford had started in the 1st half with the way we looked in the midfield, they would have been poor as well..

Also, nobody knows how Smalling woulda played against the fluid passing movement of City players. Are we talking of the same player that looked clueless vs Wolfsburg or at fault for all the 3 goals scored by Newcastle last season?

I know you want to start defending your Blind to continue as our centre defender. How Smalling at fault for 3 goals scored by Newcastle? You always like take few games out of so many games to rubbish/praise players you hate/like.

We can now see how good your Morgan that you said was better than Smalling is fairing without Kante. We can see how he's being exposed here and there. I told you that it's Kante that's protecting that defence.

I'm not here for your long drawn argument. I have stated my opinion.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Diademk07: 9:59pm On Sep 11, 2016
Danhumprey:
I'm not sure Pep really rated Stones. Me think he bought him solely to balance the ratio or English to foreign players in Man City.

But if Pep really rate him, he just might change his career.

I see lot of Van gaal in Pep and vice versa although Pep is the better coach..

For example, they could sign average players eg Depay, Stones etc. Or unsuited players while thinking they will adapt to their tactics e.g Ibra, Di Maria, Sanchez, Fabregas, Morgan etc.

They are good with youths e.g Busquets, Kimmich, Coman, Mueller, Iniesta, Alaba, Rashford, TFM, Messi, Martial etc

Has weak defence which got lot of protection from their possession tactic play.

Depends on ageing midfielders who were previously highly rated while believing they could still contribute a lot based on their past glories especially when they can't find anyone better in the market eg, Alonso, Bastian.

Loves taking punts on players which sometimes turn out to be shrewd business for them.. And lot of more..

Both are good coaches but their signings can be stupid at times but when they eventually get it right and get their hand on that ideal playmaker, they could be unstoppable with their tactics..
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Spy360(m): 10:02pm On Sep 11, 2016
How much do you pay for a haircut in Manchester?
A. 10p
B. £1
C. £9
D. £90,000,000

One Orijin for correct answer.

2 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by eph12(m): 10:04pm On Sep 11, 2016
tess1:

I know you want to start defending your Blind to continue as our centre defender. How Smalling at fault for 3 goals scored by Newcastle? You always like take few games out of so many games to rubbish/praise players you hate/like.

We can now see how good your Morgan that you said was better than Smalling is fairing without Kante. We can see how he's being exposed here and there. I told you that it's Kante that's protecting that defence.

Immediately I saw that his last paragraph I just pressed my ignore button. Not worth it. Though he does make sense at times.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by eph12(m): 10:06pm On Sep 11, 2016
chrisley024:
Bros i beg you just hold your ignore button. That girl is not worth it.

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by tess1(m): 10:09pm On Sep 11, 2016
Danhumprey:
Y'all criticizing Daley Blind should calm down. The grass isn't always greener on the other side. Who know how Smalling would have fair?

The way Pogba lose possession ehn! Someone better talk to him. angry

As good as Blind is good at passing, we all know his limitations when there's a counter and his aerial weakness. Can he always cover for Blind? No. He's a disaster waiting to happen.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Diademk07: 10:09pm On Sep 11, 2016
tess1:

Due to being isolated caused them to be losing possession? If that's the case all other players should've been losing it at the rate they were losing it. I believe JM started them because they can run with the ball the same way Rashford can do as well but they're more experienced. Though, I know we had problem in the midfield with the way Pogba played in that game. The fact remains they were piss poor.

They lost possession because they had no space to operate. Both are players who depends a lot on space..

Dropping so deep even made it worse for them. Check out Debryune performance for City against us last season. He was shite because he had to drop so deep since City couldn't control the midfield against a certain Carrick who was fantastic in the match..

A 3-man midfield had the midfield closer to the attack and ensures there's lot of space for our wing forwards to drift in.

Mkhi and Lingard were hardly players that flies down the wing and takes on fullbacks like Jose was expecting of them.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by RuuDie(m): 10:14pm On Sep 11, 2016
Diademk07:

I thought that was his speciality since his defending is wack!

I disagree that his defending is wack. The mentality of the "average British" or even most EPL central defenders (Jagielka, Terry, Shawcross, Vidic, Cahill, Williams, Morgan, Huth etc) is to protect the goal-keeper at all costs; no fancy tricks, ball playing or footwork. Just get the ball far away from their danger area. This is what Stones is used to and very comfortable at.

Now you have a manager asking him to play differently, more subtly and confidently - make passes, retain possession, move around the field, advance upfield with the ball and even dribble if possible. Of course, the early stages, will be shaky but if he keeps at it, he will only get better. Then again, he may not and turn out to be the disaster you are predicting - but it takes a bit more time to arrive at this conclusion!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Spy360(m): 10:19pm On Sep 11, 2016
Diademk07:

They lost possession because they had no space to operate. Both are players who depends a lot on space..

Dropping so deep even made it worse for them. Check out Debryune performance for City against us last season. He was shite because he had to drop so deep since City couldn't control the midfield against a certain Carrick who was fantastic in the match..

A 3-man midfield had the midfield closer to the attack and ensures there's lot of space for our wing forwards to drift in.

Mkhi and Lingard were hardly players that flies down the wing and takes on fullbacks like Jose was expecting of them.
Yesterday's game made me realise that JM has no tactics at all. An excellent motivator true, but tactically inept compared to Pep.

While Pep was organising his team to dominate United, Mou was looking for errors. Well he got one. smiley
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Diademk07: 10:22pm On Sep 11, 2016
tess1:

LOL..
Did you even watch the game?

Morgan and Huth looked solid with few lapse here or there, it was their fullbacks and Midfield that let Leicester down.

Back to our game, I repeat no one knows how Smalling would have performed yesterday. No be the same Smalling wey dey wrap himself around opponent like a lover we're talking about?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by LordEmperoris1(m): 10:29pm On Sep 11, 2016
Spy360:

Yesterday's game made me realise that JM has no tactics at all. An excellent motivator true, but tactically inept compared to Pep.

While Pep was organising his team to dominate United, Mou was looking for errors. Well he got one. smiley
jose is an inferior manager,pep is tactically ahead of him
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Skimpledawg(m): 10:30pm On Sep 11, 2016
dmcdad:

Why you no go happy... Yeye guycheesy

As in ehn... The acres of space wey dey that midfield, we fit use am build estate. I come dey wish say na Barça them dey play like that. But then, I come remember say if them wan play Barça, Mourinho no go come out in the first place.cheesy
no dey diss my former coach like that....shey Na u no gree bet for ya former coach nii! undecided
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Diademk07: 10:34pm On Sep 11, 2016
RuuDie:

I disagree that his defending is wack. The mentality of the "average British" or even most EPL central defenders (Jagielka, Terry, Shawcross, Vidic, Cahill, Williams, Morgan, Huth etc) is to protect the goal-keeper at all costs; no fancy tricks, ball playing or footwork. Just get the ball far away from their danger area. This is what Stones is used to and very comfortable at.

Now you have a manager asking him to play differently, more subtly and confidently - make passes, retain possession, move around the field, advance upfield with the ball and even dribble if possible. Of course, the early stages, will be shaky but if he keeps at it, he will only get better. Then again, he may not and turn out to be the disaster you are predicting - but it takes a bit more time to arrive at this conclusion!

Did you watch Stone at Everton?

Many people were questioning Pep decision to sign such an average defender for that huge fees but some defended the decision saying Pep only needed his ball playing skills at the back.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by tess1(m): 10:44pm On Sep 11, 2016
Diademk07:

LOL..
Did you even watch the game?

Morgan and Huth looked solid with few lapse here or there, it was their fullbacks and Midfield that let Leicester down.

Back to our game, I repeat no one knows how Smalling would have performed yesterday. No be the same Smalling wey dey wrap himself around opponent like a lover we're talking about?

No, I didn't watch the game. I followed your commentary under the canopy.

Are the fullbacks not the same they had last season? So, you now know the midfield (Kante) was protecting them last season. The same Morgan that Lingard used to wipe the pitch?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by dubylhover(m): 10:46pm On Sep 11, 2016
RuuDie:

Guy do you know who john stones is?have you watched him play?how can you say his first instinct is to shoot the ball out,thats the complete opposite,his first instinct is too always look for a pass, albeit it puts him in troubje at times,but pep bought him for his composure on d ball..give pep till the end of this season,you'd see a more developed defender
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Diademk07: 10:53pm On Sep 11, 2016
tess1:

No, I didn't watch the game. I followed your commentary under the canopy.

Are the fullbacks not the same they had last season? So, you now know the midfield (Kante) was protecting them last season. The same Morgan that Lingard used to wipe the pitch?

Don't make me laugh.

At old trafford for example when Drinwater got sent off and we were piling in the pressure, it was Morgan who blocked out most of our chances.. He was Leicester's best player in the game.

In the game yesterday, First and foremost, Simpson has always been a poor defender from the start. Besides, he got injured and was replaced by one unknown player who looked 10 times worse. There was also Fuchs whose age is now telling on his side because he was very awful vs Mane. Then, their average midfield..

So cut Leicester centre-backs some slack..
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by tess1(m): 10:55pm On Sep 11, 2016
Diademk07:

Nobody is saying they should be hugging the wings.

So because there was no space, they lose possession anyhow and couldn't fight for the ball? Continue with the excuses.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Diademk07: 10:57pm On Sep 11, 2016
dubylhover:

Guy do you know who john stones is?have you watched him play?how can you say his first instinct is to shoot the ball out,thats the complete opposite,his first instinct is too always look for a pass, albeit it puts him in troubje at times,but pep bought him for his composure on d ball..give pep till the end of this season,you'd see a more developed defender

If Pep wants to do well, he should better concentrate on Otamendi as his ball playing defender and get in Kompany to replace Stones in that defence.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Diademk07: 11:04pm On Sep 11, 2016
tess1:

Nobody is saying they should be hugging the wings.

So because there was no space, they lose possession anyhow and couldn't fight for the ball? Continue with the excuses.

I'm not saying they deserve no criticism for their poor play but that a 3-man midfield could have brought out a lot of their strength or better still, in a match where our 2-man midfield and no 10 looked good and provided them with early incisive passes and linkup play to open up lot of spaces for them.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by SailorXY: 11:06pm On Sep 11, 2016
afrodoc2:
But this was how Coogar convinced most people here to reduce all United's problems to a Rooney issue. There were other problems in view yesterday right from the fecal display of both Lingard and Mkhi to the pathetic display of the world's most expensive player. Then we saw a few cracks in our CB partnership. The only positions were we are very good and consistent are GK and FB.
i'm not sure how coogar & elampiro come up with Rooney issue all the time. while we may all have a favorite player or two, anyone with football knowledge & who's not trying to add sentiments or politics will know Rooney is 70% of MUFC problem even from the last Fergie season. he is a United great, that's a given but what exactly is his specialty for the last 4 seasons? do you think it is a coincidence whenever tactical/formation discuss pops up or "manager conundrum" about player position, Rooney's name is never missing be it national team or club?

if Jose decides to go 4-3-3 today, the debate will be which flank will Rooney occupy? is it RW or LW? abeg why the debate about him all the time all over the media? na only him waka come? when other players get a chance to perform in any "preferred Rooney position of the moment", they are disengaged after 4 games maximum then we start hearing how so & so didn't take his chance; yet Rooney can go on for ages without making an impact & what we hear is "he is a late starter who needs a lot of games to kick off". grin embarassed grin

no matter the formation or tactics Jose employs in the long run & Rooney is a sure starter, brother believe me it is destined to fail. no be swear & the reason is very simple; there are players in this team who can do a far better job no matter the position Rooney decides to compete in. this isn't about the last game or knee jerk, this is about the club moving on. Carrick is far more important than Rooney in this current team but he's yet to make the bench. if we still play politics with Bobby Charlton goal record then i'm sorry - we never ready @ all.

9 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by tess1(m): 11:09pm On Sep 11, 2016
Diademk07:

Don't make me laugh.

At old trafford for example when Drinwater got sent off and we were piling in the pressure, it was Morgan who blocked out most of our chances.. He was Leicester's best player in the game.

In the game yesterday, First and foremost, Simpson has always been a poor defender from the start. Besides, he got injured and was replaced by one unknown player who looked 10 times worse. There was also Fuchs whose age is now telling on his side because he was very awful vs Mane. Then, their average midfield..

So cut Leicester defenders some slack..

Lol!

So Simpson is now a poor defender. This same Simpson was there throughout last season. I told you last season that part of the reasons he's not being exposed was that he had a stable defense coupled with Kante shielding their defense. Smalling on the other hand didn't have a settled back four and our midfield wasn't doing anything to protect him. Age is now telling on a 30yr old defender Fuchs? Okay o.

That's what I always say about you. Was yesterday's game the only game they have played this season? Go and watch all the games they've played since the Community shield. How about his first game of the season. Was it not also in the first game of the season that he was used to wipe the pitch as well?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Diademk07: 11:17pm On Sep 11, 2016
tess1:

Lol!

So Simpson is now a poor defender. This same Simpson was there throughout last season. I told you last season that part of the reasons he's not being exposed was that he had a stable defense coupled with Kante shielding their defense. Smalling on the other hand didn't have a settled back four and our midfield wasn't doing anything to protect him. Age is now telling on Fuchs? Okay o.

That's what I always say about you. Was yesterday's game the only game they have played this season? Go and watch all the games they've played since the Community shield. How about his first game of the season. Was it not also in the first game of the season that he was used to wipe the pitch as well?

Morgan was exposed at old trafford last season though and he came out well in that game.

Lingard runs against him in the comm. shield was just an anomaly, he still did well in that game apart from that mishap and he's looked solid this season, even vs Liverpool where the fullbacks and midfield let the defence down.

You can't negate the fact that Fusch was awful in the game as well as Simpson and the player that replaced him.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by RuuDie(m): 1:01am On Sep 12, 2016
dubylhover:

Diademk07:

Did you watch Stone at Everton?
Many people were questioning Pep decision to sign such an average defender for that huge fees but some defended the decision saying Pep only needed his ball playing skills at the back.

In February (2015), Roberto Martinez told the Liverpool Echo that he saw Stones as “one of the best ball-playing centre-halves you will see in European football."

Yes, I know John Stones very, very well... and yes, he has such "potential" or so is the popular claim; but is that how he always played in Everton and Barnsley?
Do you regard Barnsley and Everton (even under Martinez) as a teams that put a lot of emphasis on their defenders "passing the ball out if the back" most of the time?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by dmcdad: 1:33am On Sep 12, 2016
Skimpledawg:

no dey diss my former coach like that....shey Na u no gree bet for ya former coach nii! undecided
In that case, hope your former coach wins the EPL while your shitty club wanders... Agreed?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by SIRcumalot: 2:48am On Sep 12, 2016
tess1:

As good as Blind is good at passing, we all know his limitations when there's a counter and his aerial weakness. Can he always cover for Blind? No. He's a disaster waiting to happen.
seems like with blind we are
always waiting for the other shoe to drop,despite some success.
so we can confirm what we already dey suspect.
passing from the back is becoming just as important as actual defending,just see how cahill and Lucas dash their opponents goals for their last game.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 3:36am On Sep 12, 2016
SailorXY:
i'm not sure how coogar & elampiro come up with Rooney issue all the time. while we may all have a favorite player or two, anyone with football knowledge & who's not trying to add sentiments or politics will know Rooney is 70% of MUFC problem even from the last Fergie season. he is a United great, that's a given but what exactly is his specialty for the last 4 seasons? do you think it is a coincidence whenever tactical/formation discuss pops up or "manager conundrum" about player position, Rooney's name is never missing be it national team or club?

if Jose decides to go 4-3-3 today, the debate will be which flank will Rooney occupy? is it RW or LW? abeg why the debate about him all the time all over the media? na only him waka come? when other players get a chance to perform in any "preferred Rooney position of the moment", they are disengaged after 4 games maximum then we start hearing how so & so didn't take his chance; yet Rooney can go on for ages without making an impact & what we hear is "he is a late starter who needs a lot of games to kick off". grin embarassed grin

no matter the formation or tactics Jose employs in the long run & Rooney is a sure starter, brother believe me it is destined to fail. no be swear & the reason is very simple; there are players in this team who can do a far better job no matter the position Rooney decides to compete in. this isn't about the last game or knee jerk, this is about the club moving on. Carrick is far more important than Rooney in this current team but he's yet to make the bench. if we still play politics with Bobby Charlton goal record then i'm sorry - we never ready @ all.

It is an evil thing that on a day our problems were caused by Mkhitaryan and Lingard, you people have decided to shift the blame to Rooney who was among the few good players for us. Shame that this is the case now. Rooney is the scapegoat every time we don't get a result.

Without Valencia, Shaw, Fellaini and Rooney, we would have been completely annihilated in the first half. Every time we managed to go forward in the first half, it was something that involved Rooney. Go and watch the highlight again. He almost set up Ibra for an equaliser with a pin pointing cross to his head but Ibrahimovic headed straight at the goalkeeper. He and Valencia were the two who managed to go forward in the first half.

The Mkhitaryan I saw in that game wouldn't even make the bench if Mourinho were to be fair. I have never seen such a woeful performance, and I rated this guy high based on what I read here. Instead of talking about Mkhitaryan, Lingard, Pogba, Blind and even Bailly, you people put the blame on one of those who ensured we were not humiliated.

Rooney is the reason why crude oil price collapsed from $140 per barrel to $40 in the international market.
grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (3273) (3274) (3275) (3276) (3277) (3278) (3279) ... (14217) (Reply)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021

Viewing this topic: Shegzdave and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.