Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,896 members, 7,817,641 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:08 PM

Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria (10003 Views)

New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 / New Policy On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: Big News Page / Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by Emperoh(m): 7:43pm On Feb 15, 2012
lightest:

@ emperoh, the price tag was not cheap at all, only that the dealer was travelling to USA at that time and i tot he would bring me something swf eeter and prestigious. the car was 1.650k and i paid him 1.250k when he was going. if u look at the pictures very well u will see a shadow of dealer in front of the car which means he did travelled truly

There are two ways to it man.
If you made a request for a Honda Accord without stating whether Salvage or Clean title, then you may
not have much of a case. Because he can claim the car is in perfect working condition hence why the need for a refund?

Can you authentically prove that the car is not working properly or was not what you bargained for?
Was it clearly stated; No Accidented cars? I can't say but all i know is that the dealer may win this case. . . it's a 50-50 chance depending on what the initial bargain was.

Meanwhile N1,650m can get you clean title EOD but with high mileage. Options like Ex or EX-L come into the picture
when the mileage is sorted.

But with this damage and mileage; 177k??
I must confess, this is a rip off at N1,650m
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by Carshopper(m): 8:07pm On Feb 15, 2012
[b]very interesting thread, i have found out that deceit is the order of the day in the auto bizness in nigeria, everyone(both buyer and seller) try to utwit each other, the buyer does so with money he is willing to part, the seller does so tryin to fulfill the buyer's request with money the buyr has. Even when we shout CHECK VIN CHECK VIN, as long as the price is fair on the buyer's pocket he will buy.

i have 2 experiences of late,
1. a friend approached me that he needed an 03/04 honda accord lx or ex but has 1.5mil, i told him 1.5mil would probably get him a salvaged ride if it was an 04 EX, cus the going rate in lagos was @ 1.6mil+, his reply was "as long as it was properly fixed and his 1.5mil will purchase it - then no problem" later he sent m a vin for checking and it had "hail damage" and it was sold to him @ 1.5mil, i explained to him all implications and that if inspection was satisfactory by him then he should buy and he bought it -an 04 honda accord ex

2. a friend sent me a vin to check and it turned out salvaged, i explained it to him and he said "well the price is ok- i will buy it jare- he sent 6000usd to the seller and would do the clearing himself"

So the main stay is the USD rise and fall, yocan only get quality well you have a stable USD-Naira balance. Most mdealers buy salvaged and sell @ prices for clean vehicle or sumtimes less, every buyer jus runs and buys - sum do a vin check - others jus buy since price is attractive.

Quality doesnt come cheap, it has a price tag attached to it, but most buyers fail to see that.[/b]
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by femmy2010(m): 8:21pm On Feb 15, 2012
Ijogz K:

But i don't fink that 800k is too much for a registered Camry 1999 sha  undecided

A TOKUNBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO 1999 Camry for N800k grin
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by Fhemmmy: 8:22pm On Feb 15, 2012
Emperoh:

Meanwhile N1,650m can get you clean title EOD but with high mileage. Options like Ex or EX-L come into the picture
when the mileage is sorted.

But with this damage and mileage; 177k??
I must confess, this is a rip off at N1,650m

What is the average cost of buying a clean title End of Discussion EX-L Model, cos i kind of bet to disagree with you a little on this your pricing and meanwhile adding the dealer's profit to that
1.65M Naira is 10,000$$ Sir, dont forget that, although i am not too sure the year of what the gentleman bought, but EX-L Model with clean title at 1.65M Naira is a little painting of the mind . . .
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by eagleu: 9:20pm On Feb 15, 2012
Emperoh:

Lightest,

Did u meet the person on nairaland?
if yes, we would like to know who the person is for others to take note.

But i won't totally absolve you of the blame. Correct me if i am wrong, you may have
turned to this because the price tag you saw on it was cheap enough

Emperoh, how you dey?
I'm still trying to track my other classmate in Enugu. I'll see the other one in Onithsa when I return.
Did your man ever see the Titan?
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by Emperoh(m): 9:51pm On Feb 15, 2012
eagleu:

Emperoh, how you dey?
I'm still trying to track my other classmate in Enugu. I'll see the other one in Onithsa when I return.
Did your man ever see the Titan?

Chair,

I am good ooh. . . .nice to see you here life.

Two of my guys have seen the unit. . . .but price tag (5.5m) and Engine size are a huge turn off
Give the fuel issue and the somewhat conservative lifestyle of folks over there, there is a bit of a let off on it
But i will keep hitting at it. Hopefully when i get to Enugu, i will see things for myself and see what i can come up with.

What is the average cost of buying a clean title End of Discussion EX-L Model, cos i kind of bet to disagree with you a little on this your pricing and meanwhile adding the dealer's profit to that
1.65M Naira is 10,000$$ Sir, dont forget that, although i am not too sure the year of what the gentleman bought, but EX-L Model with clean title at 1.65M Naira is a little painting of the mind . . .

[/quote]

Baba Fhemmo,

I was only responding to this assertion on pricing by Bizbooks

quote author=BizBooks link=topic=871601.msg10203040#msg10203040 date=1329324364]
@Lightest,
1.650 is about the right price for a clean 2003/2004 Accord. So a salvage like the one shown in the pictures should cost much less.[quote]
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by babyboy3(m): 9:51pm On Feb 15, 2012
@lightest

That car is an Insurance write-off! meaning who ever bought it, paid closed to nothing and when I say nothing! A UK insurance company sell it for 400 or 500 pounds
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by kizito96(m): 11:43pm On Feb 15, 2012
Most Nigeria Car dealers now go to Asia, but cheap right hand cars, cut them and put many in one container, get to Lagos and there is a factory in Ladipo that changes it to left hand.
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by musiwa43: 1:05am On Feb 16, 2012
they are scarce because Nigeria abroad dont consider than business again. The Nigeria govt charge too much at the port. the amount of money the nigeria govt charge is equal to the price the car is brought for abroad. So there is no profit in it.

It is only if they reduce the port taxes on it.
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by olubainc: 4:03am On Feb 16, 2012
Buying a car is a serious decision that requires adequate decisions. Some buyers fail to do adequate research into what they are getting, Nigerians tend to have a habit of buying the same exact thing a colleague or friend has even if it is not appropriate. As a dealer based in the US, one thing I have noticed with uninformed buyers is that they tend to think all cars are the same as long as its the same name. For instance, I often get calls requesting the cost of delivering an EOD to Nigeria. I reply by looking at wholesale price for a decent car with less than 100k miles at a clean auction and I quote lets say 1.6m. The individual calls back yelling that its too expensive and his friend just bought one for 1.3 or a someone is offering him one in cotonu for 1.3. What i realize is that they have failed to do any research, some don't even know what year an EOD starts from. Obviously a 03 accord with 156k miles will have a different price compared to an 05 with 97k miles and they are both EOD. The other problem is people trying to cheat themselves, there is nothing wrong in trying to save but at some point you have to understand that you will get what you pay for. If you want quality then you obviously have to pay more. Don't ask to get a 05 sienna for 7000 dollars, that is close to impossible. A little understanding of how the business works and how the market works will help a buyer save and make sound decisions. The best way to save money is to find a reputable dealer in the US and order your car direct. You eliminate the middle man and that save gets passed along to you. The more the cars change hands, the more the markups. Also request for a vin check especially if you are buying an expensive vehicle. Contrary to what a lot of people think, dealers don't make a ton of profit on every car. The competition is very tight at the moment as a lot of Nigerians abroad see car buying and selling as a way to raise funds towards completing a project at home. As a dealer, to overcome the competition, one thing I have done is to improve customer service. Provide the best quality car for my customers, the fact is that every customer I have treated well has introduced another customer and that is the only way I have been able to survive in this business. Am not worried about the minimal profit I am making from you, I am focused on how many friends and colleagues can you introduce to me. If you have any questions about buying a car and what it entails feel free to contact me. We don't actually sell cars to people, we provide a service. We will walk you through the whole process, right from the inception of the idea of purchasing a vehicle to post sale support. The name of my company is Oluba Cars Inc, visit our company page on facebook to find out more about what we do and to get in touch with us

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oluba-Cars-Inc/224289400960564
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by eagleu: 4:53am On Feb 16, 2012
Emperoh:

Chair,

I am good ooh. . . .nice to see you here life.

Two of my guys have seen the unit. . . .but price tag (5.5m) and Engine size are a huge turn off
Give the fuel issue and the somewhat conservative lifestyle of folks over there, there is a bit of a let off on it
But i will keep hitting at it. Hopefully when i get to Enugu, i will see things for myself and see what i can come up with.

The way I look at it is while I can take a little loss here and there, the engine size actually comes in handy for the busy person. Imagine a half ton space at the back? That's almost 50 bags of cements conveniently at the back while ridding at the top luxury.
Well, let me know how you can help me. Thanks.
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by automania: 7:08am On Feb 16, 2012
As long as demand determines supply and the government continues to fail in its regulator activities, Nigerians will continue to get junks in everything from electronics to autos and even services.
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by blank(f): 8:03am On Feb 16, 2012
When someone posted that dealers are greedy, they wanted 2 bite his head off. Now, they are agreeing n concurring cos it was one of their own that said it. Smh.
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:08am On Feb 16, 2012
smiley
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by etplacido: 8:55am On Feb 16, 2012
your car picture looks a little order of this car, i deal with the car parts,
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by supereagle(m): 9:50am On Feb 16, 2012
Pls I want to be informed. What is this VIN check? HOW can one conduct it ? Thanks.
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:52am On Feb 16, 2012
supereagle:

Pls I want to be informed. What is this VIN check? HOW can one conduct it ? Thanks.
Its actually a track record of the history of a Vehicle it includes the : Mileage history, service history, accident record, impound history,ect, All b4 it gets to Naija, where there is no record. grin
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by BizBooks(m): 11:38am On Feb 16, 2012
blank:

When someone posted that dealers are greedy, they wanted 2 bite his head off. Now, they are agreeing n concurring cos it was one of their own that said it. Smh.

You will understand why we reacted the way we did if you read the statement below by Olubainc:

olubainc:

. . . . Contrary to what a lot of people think, dealers don't make a ton of profit on every car. The competition is very tight at the moment as a lot of Nigerians abroad see car buying and selling as a way to raise funds towards completing a project at home . . . .
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by Emperoh(m): 1:03pm On Feb 16, 2012
^^^^
Unfortunately, she will sit on the fence and make snide remarks without any depth of research
Better to ignore such posters
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by ayusman16(m): 1:34pm On Feb 16, 2012
@All

Nice thread.

Please what does it mean when in VIN report you see "This does not qualify for a buyback"?, Does salvaged really mean it is badly damaged? What of in the case of slightly damaged vehicle? Won't it also be tagged Salvaged?
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by laurelxy(m): 2:29pm On Feb 16, 2012
@ alll i want to buy a golf 3 from a dealer in ile ife, who  said he will get it from lagos or cotonou, pls how can i can do a vin check quickly before he buys the car when he sends the numbers to me, and i want to pay 450-480k for manual gear, ac fitted, is the price ok,thanks
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by cretin: 4:24pm On Feb 16, 2012
laurelxy:

@ alll i want to buy a golf 3 from a dealer in ile ife, who  said he will get it from lagos or cotonou, pls how can i can do a vin check quickly before he buys the car when he sends the numbers to me, and i want to pay 450-480k for manual gear, ac fitted, is the price ok,thanks

there are a bunch of peeps who help you check the vin on nairaland for free, u can search the auto section, but if u want it fast/express within 1 hr, then come to my thread or gimme a call 08135051427, vinchecks2000@yahoo.com

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-655107.896.html#msg10209558
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by Shagati(m): 4:45pm On Feb 16, 2012
eagleu:

. . . . . . Imagine a half ton space at the back? That's almost 50 bags of cements conveniently at the back while ridding at the top luxury. . . .

Half a ton is 10 x 50kg bags of cement sir.
Please dont load 50 bags (2.5tons) wink
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by engrbanky: 6:13pm On Feb 16, 2012
@Olubainc

i am looking to buy a volkswagen vanagon, did you deal in this or can you point me in the right direction.

i am open to suggestions please.
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by olubainc: 7:22pm On Feb 16, 2012
@engrbanky

I Have had a few request on this particular vehicle, they are not particularly common in the US both they are available. Their prices tend to be on the high side just because of their scarcity. Send me an email with specifications and particular year so I can better assist you @ obaoluba@gmail.com
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by KunleA2(m): 8:54pm On Feb 16, 2012
Shagati:

Half a ton is 10 x 50kg bags of cement sir.
Please dont load 50 bags (2.5tons) wink

Don't be too quick to jump into conclusion. May be its Minibags grin tongue
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by Fhemmmy: 9:02pm On Feb 16, 2012
ayusman16:

@All

Nice thread.

Please what does it mean when in VIN report you see "This does not qualify for a buyback"?, Does salvaged really mean it is badly damaged? What of in the case of slightly damaged vehicle? Won't it also be tagged Salvaged?

A ride that has been shipped to Nigeria and all there NOT even sure if it is anymore qualified for buyback.
Salvage ride does not mean it is badly damaged, but the record will tell you what kinda damage and some will even tell you what was the claim on the ride . . .

I personally think that in 2012 a ride that has an accident like 7 years ago and the ride has been fixed since them and still running in America or Canada is not that bad of a buy, however, the dealer just have to be honest and open with the buyer.

Also, note that there are so many accidents that are not reported . . . . . And that means so many clean report machines are actually accidental.
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by ayusman16(m): 9:06pm On Feb 16, 2012
@All

Nice thread.

Please what does it mean when in VIN report you see "This does not qualify for a buyback"?,  Does salvaged really mean it is badly damaged? What of in the case of slightly damaged vehicle? Won't it also be tagged Salvaged?
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by ayusman16(m): 9:18pm On Feb 16, 2012
@Fhemmy, thanks for d feedback,

Is it possible for a car with collision 2 months ago, rebuilt (what does it mean) and sold in a clean auction?
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by Fhemmmy: 9:29pm On Feb 16, 2012
ayusman16:

@Fhemmy, thanks for d feedback,

Is it possible for a car with collision 2 months ago, rebuilt (what does it mean) and sold in a clean auction?

They will sell it as rebuilt . . . i dont know it all oh . . . But MIGHT be sold as rebuilt
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by ayusman16(m): 9:42pm On Feb 16, 2012
Am I right to think that Clean Auction means that d ride is alright?
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by Fhemmmy: 9:48pm On Feb 16, 2012
ayusman16:

Am I right to think that Clean Auction means that d ride is alright?

It is possible, there are some auctions that will check the ride and make sure it is aiight . . . and such auctions as well will let you know when you are buying a ride that "You are on your own"
Again, i dont know it all, please dont quote me . . . I am a learner too

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tips on How To Protect Your Car From Being Stolen This Christmas Period / Run Flat Tires: How They Work / Traffic Offenders To Pay N100, 000 Fine- FRSC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.