Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,831 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:41 PM

Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria (10004 Views)

New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 / New Policy On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: Big News Page / Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by Emperoh(m): 10:02pm On Feb 16, 2012
^^^^
Clean auto auctions (if there is anything like that) doesn't mean that all cars have been free from crashes
since their manufacture. . . it only stands for cars that are sold there to be in good/perfect working condition.
They could have been involved in a crash in the past but refixed in which case, the vehicle information will read "rebuilt"
just like Fhemmy said. While a good number will be free of any accident. . .if it was reported.

Now there are basically two types of auction; Salvage auctions and Clean Car auctions. Salvage auctions will always stock cars that are in good condition or with little or minimal dent/damage bt Clean Car auctions CAN NEVER. .at least i am yet to see- stock crashed cars.

There are sites or auctions that provide auto inspection services before a purchase is done.
Manheima and Copart i think offer such. Pls be guided.
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by BizBooks(m): 10:09pm On Feb 16, 2012
ayusman16:

@Fhemmy, thanks for d feedback,

Is it possible for a car with collision 2 months ago, rebuilt (what does it mean) and sold in a clean auction?

Rebuilt usually goes with "Rebuilt Title". A rebuilt title basically refers to a salvaged car that has been repaired, taken to a Motor Vehicle Department and issued a new title. Before such title is issued, the car must pass State inspection.

The difference between salvaged cars with rebuilt title and the ones shipped to Nigeria is that the ones shipped to Nigeria do not go for inspection. The dealers just buy, repair and ship them to Lagos as is. You are only required to go for inspection if you intend to register it in the US.

Remember, the term "Salvage" remains with a salvaged car forever even after the title has been rebuilt. The certificate of title will usually say "SALVAGE TITLE" in bold. So you are unlikely to sell the car to another person as a clean title at least in the US.
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by ayusman16(m): 10:10pm On Feb 16, 2012
Thanks guys, I think it now bothers down on d dealer informing d true state of vehicle, It will do d buyer a lot of good if he/she knows d extent of damage before buying.
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by Fhemmmy: 12:40am On Feb 17, 2012
BizBooks:

Rebuilt usually goes with "Rebuilt Title". A rebuilt title basically refers to a salvaged car that has been repaired, taken to a Motor Vehicle Department and issued a new title. Before such title is issued, the car must pass State inspection.

The difference between salvaged cars with rebuilt title and the ones shipped to Nigeria is that the ones shipped to Nigeria do not go for inspection. The dealers just buy, repair and ship them to Lagos as is. You are only required to go for inspection if you intend to register it in the US.

Remember, the term "Salvage" remains with a salvaged car forever even after the title has been rebuilt. The certificate of title will usually say "SALVAGE TITLE" in bold. So you are unlikely to sell the car to another person as a clean title at least in the US.

I love that part . . . . Well said
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by ayusman16(m): 5:52am On Feb 17, 2012
Rebuilt and Reconstructed I believe mean d same thing?
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by patlead: 12:14pm On Feb 17, 2012
someone posted recently that dealers price for cars are way too much, u guys wanted his ear offf, now it has happened,un dey gree small small, shio
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by ayusman16(m): 12:28pm On Feb 17, 2012
This thread just saved me over 500k.
Re: Why Quality Tokunbo Cars Are Scarce In Nigeria by 2baga(m): 2:26pm On Mar 06, 2012
waoh I am so grateful to all who've contributed, I'm now much more enlightend. tnx guys

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tips on How To Protect Your Car From Being Stolen This Christmas Period / Run Flat Tires: How They Work / Traffic Offenders To Pay N100, 000 Fine- FRSC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.