Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,718 members, 7,816,962 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:19 PM

Commotion In Oyo House Over Invasion Of School By Customs Men - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Commotion In Oyo House Over Invasion Of School By Customs Men (7500 Views)

The Summary Of “the Last Days At Forcados High School” By A.H. Muhammed / Shekarau Meets Commissioners Over Extension Of School Holiday (Ebola Prevention) / OOU Students On Protest Over The Reduction Of School Fee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Commotion In Oyo House Over Invasion Of School By Customs Men by stagger: 9:34pm On Feb 15, 2012
Stupidity all around.

I have once been flogged 24 strokes of the cane along with every boy in the class when I was in Primary 5. Till date, my parents never heard of that incident; my dad and that teacher grew up in the village together. If i had dared mention it to my dad, he would have continued from where the teacher left off.

Children of today are too spoilt. I do not even want to talk about kids bred abroad. After I saw a friend's 10 year old niece fighting his elder sister (who was the girl's mum and they live in Scotland), that was the day I decided that my children can NEVER be bred abroad.

And they will be punished when they are wrong, either by me or in school by their teachers.
Re: Commotion In Oyo House Over Invasion Of School By Customs Men by Tokotaya: 9:36pm On Feb 15, 2012
Oh yes, the speaker was overbearing. That behaviour was uncouth and terribly illmannered. She should have listened to what the police woman had to say.
Re: Commotion In Oyo House Over Invasion Of School By Customs Men by eros(m): 9:46pm On Feb 15, 2012
Wetin we no go see for naija my beloved country.
Re: Commotion In Oyo House Over Invasion Of School By Customs Men by stagger: 9:50pm On Feb 15, 2012
Tokotaya:

Oh yes, the speaker was overbearing. That behaviour was uncouth and terribly illmannered. She should have listened to what the police woman had to say.

You know that a woman in a position of authority would want to show another woman who is the boss in a particular zone.
Re: Commotion In Oyo House Over Invasion Of School By Customs Men by Ndipe(m): 10:16pm On Feb 15, 2012
stagger:

Stupidity all around.

I have once been flogged 24 strokes of the cane along with every boy in the class when I was in Primary 5. Till date, my parents never heard of that incident; my dad and that teacher grew up in the village together. If i had dared mention it to my dad, he would have continued from where the teacher left off.

Children of today are too spoilt. I do not even want to talk about kids bred abroad. After I saw a friend's 10 year old niece fighting his elder sister (who was the girl's mum and they live in Scotland), that was the day I decided that my children can NEVER be bred abroad.

And they will be punished when they are wrong, either by me or in school by their teachers.

I was whupped by my teachers and senior students and in cases was not justified. I still maintain, if my children were punished unjustly in school, I wont take it easy with the teacher or the senior student. Flogging a student 22 strokes of the cane is ABUSE!!! Parents need to stand up for their children when they are abused, (I am not saying, they should flog the teacher), but something needs to be done when a student is given 22 strokes of the cane. Was it not last year that I read of a primary school pupil who was beaten to death by a teacher?
Re: Commotion In Oyo House Over Invasion Of School By Customs Men by Olalekan0(m): 10:46pm On Feb 15, 2012
Wonders shall never end. When did the Oyo state house of assembly begin policing duties? I thought this was a civil matter that should be handled by the school management,nigerian police and the law court. It's only a matter of time before the house of assembly start dissolving marriages and adjudicating over land matters. Are we retrogressing to stone age? This is absurd!
Re: Commotion In Oyo House Over Invasion Of School By Customs Men by Roliks09: 10:51pm On Feb 15, 2012
Abeg Abeg, which U.I student go protest ontop this situation? Wetin concern agbero with overload? Highly dissapointing, if they did.
Re: Commotion In Oyo House Over Invasion Of School By Customs Men by Nobody: 12:55am On Feb 16, 2012
doesnt that "person" in the picture look quite old to be flogged by a teacher?!
Re: Commotion In Oyo House Over Invasion Of School By Customs Men by stede(m): 2:36am On Feb 16, 2012
Spare the cane nd spoil the child, I wonder whot this un-cultured boy will turn to in de nearest future, Only Gods knows,
The father should be blamed and not the son, For condoling an act of indiscipline, in fact, it such a big shame, His is spoiled child the first, child to school in United, He should have better send his pompous child to the united state we they don't beat if he has the money,
Like father like son,
Re: Commotion In Oyo House Over Invasion Of School By Customs Men by moremi2008(m): 3:33am On Feb 16, 2012
Tokotaya:

I am pretty sure there is more to that story than the incompetent reporter was able to properly narrate. It appears that the police chief did not want to show-up to face the State Assembly in solidarity with her colleague, the custom's boss. In all civilized countries, the police is directly subordinate to the Executive branch of the government which is in turn subordinate to the legislative arm. No police chief, not even the police chief of NYC, will dare disobey an order from state congress because congress approves their annual budget!
Re: Commotion In Oyo House Over Invasion Of School By Customs Men by BetaThings: 4:24am On Feb 16, 2012
Tokotaya:

I'm disappointed in the current leadership of UI. I'm sure they must have been ashamed when the boy they were defending broke out in pidgin like a tout. Okay, if the boy was flogged, was he the only one flogged? He was one of many flogged. But he felt he was superior to the others because he has a customs officer as father. Shame on him. Shame on the father who could not call him to order. What's wrong with reporting a teacher to higher authorities if you feel he did something wrong. Shame!

The whole thing was organised. UI students molesting commissioner of education over a barely literate SSS3 student? Where is the connection?
Or does he have an admission letter to UI already?

stagger:

Stupidity all around.

Hahahah
My point is that we are told that it is babaric to touch children with cane.
But when they riot in school, the first instrument of punishment they see is gun from police. How does a boy who has never seen a cane from his loving parents now react when faced with a gun from a stern-looking complete stranger?

andyanders:

In fact, the boy is just a complete foo-l. At that age and in SS3 cannot express himself? In fact his father is the worst foo-l

For me, the boy should be expelled and his father dismissed. When you even look at the boy, you see another armed robber in the making.

You think the boy is schooling?
18, son of a customs officer, UI student protesting on his behalf. You can be sure he has gone to bed with quite a number of the 15+ girls in that school
Re: Commotion In Oyo House Over Invasion Of School By Customs Men by BetaThings: 4:30am On Feb 16, 2012
johnie:

But Olusegun Olaleye, popularly called Radical, and the youngest in the Oyo House of Assembly, stood on the side of the students and pleaded with the House to temper justice with mercy.

He said that the erring student should be forgiven in the spirit of Valentine which preaches love.  embarassed  shocked

He claimed that the student’s teacher was wrong to have brutalised the student. But he was shouted down by his colleagues and prevailed upon to take his seat.

This guy is silly and should be recalled. What is valentine? He is too immature to be in that house really
A man bringing customs officer to school to intimidate teachers and also shoot in the air is to be forgiven because of valentine day?
Re: Commotion In Oyo House Over Invasion Of School By Customs Men by BetaThings: 4:33am On Feb 16, 2012
johnie:

Representing the Controller General of the Customs Service, the service spokesperson, Mr. Bashiru Adewale Adeniyi explained that the initial way the service handled the case was as a result of the lacuna in the service as at the time the incident occurred.

He justified the reason why Mr. Emmanuel Allison has not honoured the invitation of the police, stressing that he is yet to receive an order mandating him to appear before the police as summoned.

He assured that very soon, the service would have primary and secondary schools in Oyo State for the children of the staff of the service, saying that where they have school, their children attend their schools.

He said, “Education is very important to us. This is the reason why we run primary and secondary schools in most of the places we have our command but we don’t have our school here in Ibadan and that is why staff put their children in public schools. Customs officers have eight children in United Senior Secondary School, Ijokodo, Ibadan. I want to point it out that officers can be posted to anywhere and whenever this happens, their families follow them. And when they get to their new place, their children have to go to schools and they enroll them in any school that is available. So, that the children of our men change school does not say that they have committed crime where they are coming from.”

Explaining that the service does not condone indiscipline, he said that [b]any parent could have behaved the same [/b]way Mr. Allison behaved seeing his son being overflogged.

He also cleared Mr. Allison of shooting as alleged saying, ‘Mr. Allison is an inspector who cannot mobilise a vehicle. I learnt that three vehicles were mobilised that day. Our fleet is 11 in Oyo State and it is meant for border. But as I said, we will investigate the matter and feed you back on our findings”.

"Education is important", hence the pidgin English
"Any parent could have behaved that way" provided he is in the customs service and has access to guns
Does a report to the principal matter?
Re: Commotion In Oyo House Over Invasion Of School By Customs Men by GboyegaD(m): 4:38am On Feb 16, 2012
The boy is a disgrace to his school and to his family. His mother doesn't sound so learned yet she speaks good english and this baffles me that the guy cannot communicate in english when his parents can. How would he in this situation speak in pidgin english? He would have portrayed himself smart if he could speak good english and that way avert some of the blames passed on him I am convinced the parents indirectly must have been pushing him through school. The 1st day I listened to him on splash FM I wept. The annoying part is everyone is being economical with the truth. Seems the teacher too had his excesses however, 2 wrongs do not make it right. The authorities in the school too needs be cautioned at least because when Splash FM interviewed the students of the school, most of the SS3 students claimed they do not come to school on Fridays and many of them said the teacher wasn't beaten enough. This shows there is a great problem as the teacher must have been excessive with his floggings just like one of my secondary school teachers and moreso, the school might not have seen anything wrong in his behaviour.
Re: Commotion In Oyo House Over Invasion Of School By Customs Men by GboyegaD(m): 4:39am On Feb 16, 2012
BetaThings:

"Education is important", hence the pidgin English
"Any parent could have behaved that way" provided he is in the customs service and has access to guns
Does a report to the principal matter?

BetaThings:

This guy is silly and should be recalled. What is valentine? He is too immature to be in that house really
A man bringing customs officer to school to intimidate teachers and also shoot in the air is to be forgiven because of valentine day?

What he was trying to say is that he could have done worse things than the parents because he is a legislator. He has succeeded in exposing the kind of person he is.
Re: Commotion In Oyo House Over Invasion Of School By Customs Men by ophicer: 10:17am On Feb 16, 2012
I honestly think people are not looking at this issue objectively. In as much as I do not support the action of the father of the student because two wrongs don’t make a right I think is totally outrageous for a teacher to brutalize a student with the disguise of correcting the student. If the boy is below 18years of age the child right act forbid this kind of treatment on a child if he is 18years and above it is legally wrong to do this to a young person which makes it an assault on the boy by the teacher. However, I think both parties are wrong in their actions and should be reprimanded. In the UK corporal punishment is ban yet the children behave better and obey authority than here. In Nigeria because of the way we have being brought up, when you commit offense in school you are violently beating for correction but this actually toughen us and makes us violent to each other when someone offense us. You see our men beat up their wife’s for any little offense people fighting on the street for minor disagreement, we react violently to any disagreement this cut across every area of society and behavior .I think it is time we abolish corporal punishment and follow the Europe module for a better society
Re: Commotion In Oyo House Over Invasion Of School By Customs Men by Baawaa(m): 10:52am On Feb 16, 2012
The man has forgot that their time has gone when they can harass anybody anyhow
Re: Commotion In Oyo House Over Invasion Of School By Customs Men by niddamugu(m): 1:09pm On Feb 16, 2012
The man has forgot that their time has gone when they can harass anybody anyhow
The father is still living in the past. Thank God for NL and i'm sure the appropriate authorities have taken not of this man so as to discipline (dismiss) him for displaying such irresponsibility. As for the boy, open a spare part shop for him because it is certain he will not pass the exams.
Re: Commotion In Oyo House Over Invasion Of School By Customs Men by badesco(m): 1:33pm On Feb 16, 2012
Like father like son. I personally blame and strongly condemn the action of Ebuka"s father  it shows that the man is an irresponsible. No matter whar, he should not have degenerated to that level.
Re: Commotion In Oyo House Over Invasion Of School By Customs Men by moremi2008(m): 1:38pm On Feb 16, 2012
ophicer:

I honestly think people are not looking at this issue objectively. In as much as I do not support the action of the father of the student because two wrongs don’t make a right I think is totally outrageous for a teacher to brutalize a student with the disguise of correcting the student. If the boy is below 18years of age the child right act forbid this kind of treatment on a child if he is 18years and above it is legally wrong to do this to a young person which makes it an assault on the boy by the teacher. However, I think both parties are wrong in their actions and should be reprimanded. In the UK corporal punishment is ban yet the children behave better and obey authority than here. In Nigeria because of the way we have being brought up, when you commit offense in school you are violently beating for correction but this actually toughen us and makes us violent to each other when someone offense us. You see our men beat up their wife’s for any little offense people fighting on the street for minor disagreement, we react violently to any disagreement this cut across every area of society and behavior .I think it is time we abolish corporal punishment and follow the Europe module for a better society

The boy is supposedly 22yrs old. You're just writing stories.
Re: Commotion In Oyo House Over Invasion Of School By Customs Men by pixel83: 9:20am On Feb 17, 2012
Students from various higher Institutions led by student leaders of the University of Ibadan (UI) stormed the assembly complex in the UI students union vehicle with registration number FG 667 A50 in solidarity and support of the erring student.
Either d UI students don't hav d backin of d SUG, or dey r members of same cult wit d boy (oh! U tink he won't joined one baa?) or some boiz have been picked to do d job Else they shuld be lined up and shot!!

When the CSP insisted on talking, the Speaker thundered again: “Shut up. What we will do now is to give you an instruction which you must comply with
na d natural age-long woman-woman rivalry.
At the end of the session, Akinfenwa wept
Ha!! Hell hath no fury lyk a woman scorned. The fayaworx wuld b a delight to watch

She noted that the issue would not have escalated to the level it is if Mr. Allison had honoured the invitation the state government issued through the Ministry of Education, stressing that the student stand suspended until an apology letter is tendered
Very obvious wat the comm. for Education's hinting @. Pathetic!

I bet dey wuld gather themselves in d evening @ a choice spot in d town and help themselves to large bouts of drinking and lau lau spendings. Wia is nollywood wen u need dem??

AND WHERE IS THE PRINCIPAL OF THE SCHOOL??
Re: Commotion In Oyo House Over Invasion Of School By Customs Men by pixel83: 11:41am On Feb 17, 2012
*(oh! U tink he won't have joined one baa?)

Pls ignore oda typos
Re: Commotion In Oyo House Over Invasion Of School By Customs Men by sammirano: 3:09pm On Feb 17, 2012
One problem we have in this part of the world is "no respect for children" and it's destroying our secondary educational system by teachers demoralizing and intimidating children unnecessarily.
Re: Commotion In Oyo House Over Invasion Of School By Customs Men by tlops(m): 6:40pm On Feb 17, 2012
There should be respect for children, but Parents and caregiver should guide them aright, sometimes it may include discipline. At SS3, he could not speak fluent English, it tells you the kind of student he was.
Re: Commotion In Oyo House Over Invasion Of School By Customs Men by larry2020: 8:18pm On Feb 18, 2012
Executive Governor of IMO State, Rochas Okorocha, has declared free Education in Primary school, Secondary school and now Tertiary. Also students of Imo Origin studying in Imo State University will be entitled to a scholarship of N100,000.00 per annum. Polytechnics OND N60,000 and HND N80,000. All Primary schools students now get N25,000 per annum.
http://newdawn-educonsult..com/2012/02/governor-rochas-okorocha-declares-free.html

(1) (2) (Reply)

Jamb 2012 Is On Sale, Read This Before You Apply / Yabatech 2019/2020 Admission FT/PT / Admision! Admission!! Admission!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.