Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,342 members, 7,822,617 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:54 PM

Nri is NOT The Oldest Kingdom In Nigeria? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nri is NOT The Oldest Kingdom In Nigeria? (13896 Views)

Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi / 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. / Ndigbo Originated From Egypt, Jacob’s Son Is The Father Of Nri – Monarch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nri is NOT The Oldest Kingdom In Nigeria? by PhysicsQED(m): 4:38am On May 11, 2013
Findingmyroots: It has been said that the first oba of Benin was an Igbo man that was angry with his Igbo family.

This has only been said by clowns on the internet.

His name, Oba Eweka (1180). Eweka (Iweka) in Igbo means anger abounds.

It does not matter what Iweka means in Igbo since Eweka wasn't Igbo, but I should note that "anger abounds" is a bizarre meaning for a royal name or even for a regular personal name.

Many believe the king that they found at Igbo Ukwu was oba eweka's grandfather (Nri).

Who are these "many"?

There are little to no similarities between Nri and Benin's monarchies. Anyway, given the possible Igala roots of the Nri, this could be like claiming Igala ancestry for Benin's monarch, an idea which there is also no evidence to support.

Also, it has been said that oba Eweka went to war with his Igbo family (kingdom) which led to the destruction of the kingdom.

A family is a kingdom?

He went to war with his family?

He destroyed his kingdom of origin?

How do people even come up with this stuff?

After oba Eweka won the war, he migrated west and married a Yoruba woman. Many are unaware that the name "Oba" is also an Igbo Ozo title.

It's amazing that you registered pretty much just to post this nonsense. I've looked through your post history and you posted this same kind of stuff earlier in another thread as well.

This desperation to claim Benin must be due to some great admiration toward Benin's past or its reputation. Or why not extend these claims to other kingdoms (besides Igala, which some other people have already done)? Why not go out of your way to try and claim Kwararafa, Calabar, Nembe, etc.? Why try to connect specifically to Benin? I think the cause could only be a great deal of admiration (even if not admitted openly) for the history/achievements of that particular kingdom (Benin).

And stop and actually think about the implications of what you're claiming. If one accepts this claim (about Oba Eweka being Igbo), then that means that:

a) after this supposed "Igbo man who was angry with his family", Eweka, settled in Benin, the culture and capabilities of the Edo people allowed him and his successors to build up an impressive and sophisticated kingdom whose influence stretched for hundreds of miles beyond the kingdom in virtually all directions and which is still admired and studied by people from around the world today.

b) but the unknown Igbo kingdom from which he supposedly originated was not able to survive one civil war (or 'family war') nor was it able to come near the achievements of the Edo kingdom that he settled in. Neither this unknown Igbo kingdom from which he supposedly originated nor any of its offshoots was able to build a "Benin kingdom" equivalent or come close to doing so.

When viewed objectively, this fantasy scenario of yours would reflect well on the Edo, but wouldn't reflect well on the Igbo. I think the problem here is that you're so desperate to attach your ethnic group to what is considered prestigious or influential, that you don't even realize that the scenario you've come up with wouldn't even make your ethnic group look good if it were true, but instead would have the opposite effect. Maybe you should just stick to finding your roots instead of worrying about the roots of others.

4 Likes

Re: Nri is NOT The Oldest Kingdom In Nigeria? by Findingmyroots: 4:40am On May 17, 2013
Oba eweka's brothers were Agulu(oldest), Nri, Attah(igala) & Igbo. Till today, there is a town naned after oba eweka, called Oba, Anambra state(google it). Oba(Edo) was the fourth among the siblings. There father was Eri. Eri can be found in the bible among with his two younger brothers who also migrated to southeastern Nigeria from Egypt. There names was Aroli(arochukwu) & Areli (numbers 26:16-17). Till to date there is a town in Anambra state called Agulueri, named after Eri first son Agulu. I attached a photo of the lineage. Southeastern Nigeria is the land of the lost Jews who fled egypt. Hope you learned something. Including those in Benin who bear Igbo(political name) last names such as: Okoro, Ugo, Osakwe, osadebe, echejille etc.
Re: Nri is NOT The Oldest Kingdom In Nigeria? by Findingmyroots: 4:58am On May 17, 2013
The first oba of Benin(oba eweka) first son name was Ovbi ikimme(Obi Ikeme). Till today the king of asaba and onitsha goes by Obi not Oba. He was told by his father to migrate east(home) because of an incident he had with his mothers family (probably practicing Igbo tradition). He died in today's asaba and his children(4 of them) continued the journey across the Naija Bridge(with the help of igalas), then formed Onitsha. Till today in Onitsha there are 4 villages founded by the 4 children (3 boys 1 girl) & two villages by the igalas. The others are arochukwu.

In conclusion, the first oba of Benin was a south easterner. And the south easterners(what u call igbos) migrated from Egypt(Jews).
Re: Nri is NOT The Oldest Kingdom In Nigeria? by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:48pm On May 17, 2013
Findingmyroots: Oba eweka's brothers were Agulu(oldest), Nri, Attah(igala) & Igbo. Till today, there is a town naned after oba eweka, called Oba, Anambra state(google it). Oba(Edo) was the fourth among the siblings. There father was Eri. Eri can be found in the bible among with his two younger brothers who also migrated to southeastern Nigeria from Egypt. There names was Aroli(arochukwu) & Areli (numbers 26:16-17). Till to date there is a town in Anambra state called Agulueri, named after Eri first son Agulu. I attached a photo of the lineage. Southeastern Nigeria is the land of the lost Jews who fled egypt. Hope you learned something. Including those in Benin who bear Igbo(political name) last names such as: Okoro, Ugo, Osakwe, osadebe, echejille etc.

What sort of nonsense is this ? This weak aass write up is only good for the trash!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nri is NOT The Oldest Kingdom In Nigeria? by pleep(m): 5:47pm On May 19, 2013
Physics what is that building in your profile pic?
Re: Nri is NOT The Oldest Kingdom In Nigeria? by PhysicsQED(m): 10:21pm On May 20, 2013
Findingmyroots: The first oba of Benin(oba eweka) first son name was Ovbi ikimme(Obi Ikeme). Till today the king of asaba and onitsha goes by Obi not Oba. He was told by his father to migrate east(home) because of an incident he had with his mothers family (probably practicing Igbo tradition). He died in today's asaba and his children(4 of them) continued the journey across the Naija Bridge(with the help of igalas), then formed Onitsha. Till today in Onitsha there are 4 villages founded by the 4 children (3 boys 1 girl) & two villages by the igalas. The others are arochukwu.

In conclusion, the first oba of Benin was a south easterner. And the south easterners(what u call igbos) migrated from Egypt(Jews).

Findingmyroots: Oba eweka's brothers were Agulu(oldest), Nri, Attah(igala) & Igbo. Till today, there is a town naned after oba eweka, called Oba, Anambra state(google it). Oba(Edo) was the fourth among the siblings. There father was Eri. Eri can be found in the bible among with his two younger brothers who also migrated to southeastern Nigeria from Egypt. There names was Aroli(arochukwu) & Areli (numbers 26:16-17). Till to date there is a town in Anambra state called Agulueri, named after Eri first son Agulu. I attached a photo of the lineage. Southeastern Nigeria is the land of the lost Jews who fled egypt. Hope you learned something. Including those in Benin who bear Igbo(political name) last names such as: Okoro, Ugo, Osakwe, osadebe, echejille etc.

Ease up on the hashish. It seems it's turning your brain to mush.

5 Likes

Re: Nri is NOT The Oldest Kingdom In Nigeria? by PhysicsQED(m): 10:28pm On May 20, 2013
pleep: Physics what is that building in your profile pic?

I'm not really sure. I saw it on a page somewhere on tumblr after I had seen it somewhere else previously and I saved the image just because it looked cool.

I'm not sure such a building/structure like what's in that photo really exists. It could just be a viral image or a screenshot from a viral video promoting some movie or game. I remember that several years ago when the game "Shadow of the Colossus" came out for PS2, some viral videos were posted on the internet to hype up the game, but there was no indication that all the footage in the video was all computer generated or even that it was specifically for that game, so there was some confusion about whether some of what was depicted in the video was real or not. This could be the same kind of thing - fake images to promote some movie or game.

But then again, some indigenous peoples in North and South America did build homes in hills and cliffs, so it could also be something real.
Re: Nri is NOT The Oldest Kingdom In Nigeria? by PhysicsQED(m): 3:05am On May 21, 2013
Hey Pleep, what culture is that object in your profile pic from and what is it supposed to represent? I assume that it's supposed to be a mask of either an animal or a human with tusks, right?

No offense (in case it's something you made yourself), but I think it looks very strange.
Re: Nri is NOT The Oldest Kingdom In Nigeria? by Plarp: 4:55am On May 21, 2013
Pleep was banned by the spam-bot.

That pic is a "guere war mask" search that in google and you will see that this small liberian tribe probably creates the most disturbing looking masks known to man undecided

I agree it does look strange.. very different very any other african art ive seen, here are more

Re: Nri is NOT The Oldest Kingdom In Nigeria? by Plarp: 4:56am On May 21, 2013
They would actually wear these things into war... and at trials to "charm" the defendant into telling the truth.

lol...

Re: Nri is NOT The Oldest Kingdom In Nigeria? by PhysicsQED(m): 12:33am On May 23, 2013
Interesting. And yeah, some of the masks are quite disturbing looking.
Re: Nri is NOT The Oldest Kingdom In Nigeria? by YorubaFirst: 6:59am On May 24, 2013
On masks, if it were possible to chart and pictorially represent the character of man, in other words...if you go beneath the skin surface and its underlying tissues and fibers to reveal the man underneath, what you call disgusting in these cultural art is far more beautiful than the ugliness that will greet you.
Re: Nri is NOT The Oldest Kingdom In Nigeria? by Konquest: 8:50am On Nov 09, 2017
amor4ce:
Personally, I have not accepted the claims by some about the age of Igbo Ukwu and Nri as I see such as an attempted, biased and maybe narcissistic desire to claim pre-eminence. What about the old Sukur kingdom or Koma or Sungbo Eredo or the nations/kingdoms that fled away from the Fulani to the mountains?
Re: Nri is NOT The Oldest Kingdom In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:14am On Nov 09, 2017
aribisala0:
Google Oldest Kingdom in Nigeria and You will probably come up with "NRI"

I was researching this subject recently and wanted to find out more.It is postulated that NRI kingdom existed in The 9th century AD.

I am aware of kingdoms all over the world centuries before Christ's puported birthdate and see it as a mark of backwardness that in Nigeria there were no kingdoms until so late!/ I came up with Kanem Empire ,Ife kingdom and Benin Kingdom not to be confused with Benin Empire all around in the 7th century. I do not believe even these were the earliest kingdoms in Nigeria. Sadly we have no written records (The Kanem did GIRGAM) and so we have to rely on archaeology.
There is archaeological data from Taruga and elsewhere in Northern Nigeria about the Nok civilization which tells us they learnt how to smelt iron at least 500 BC and they made figurines depicting men riding horses. Nevertheless we are told that after this for another 1400 years there were no kingdoms in Nigeria is this credible?
Eze Nri amaka grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy

Re: Nri is NOT The Oldest Kingdom In Nigeria? by Hillcrestpro: 2:21pm On Aug 11, 2022
There is a difference between settlement and kingdom. A kingdom is a system of government headed by a King who is a sovereign, which means absolute powers to make Decrees, and gives judgment is vested in him..Absolute powers are vested in kings. In most of Africa, the system of government that was most prevalent is one in which the oldest member of the community is the automatic head of the community..That system is called Gerontocracy. The first place where monarchy was practiced in Nigeria is Benin, where the system of gerontocracy evolved into a full-fledged monarchy. So Benin is the first Kingdom in Nigeria.

The Yorubas to the west claim Eweka is yoruba and Igbos to the east claim Eweka is igbo.. The truth is that the Benin kingdom which later became an empire is fundamental to the political and spiritual developments that took place in western Nigeria, Eastern Nigeria, and much of south-south Nigeria for the 500 years before 1900.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? / Rare Yoruba Gods / Orishaa / Which Tribe Has The Most Beautiful Women And Handsome Men?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.