Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,788 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:31 AM

Do You Have Personal Stories Of How The Nigerian Police Ever Helped You Out? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do You Have Personal Stories Of How The Nigerian Police Ever Helped You Out? (5403 Views)

Can Police Ever Stop Collecting Bribe From Motorists, Etc? / We’re Pained, We Helped You To Power, PDP Tells Fayose / I Helped Make Jonathan President –tinubu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Have Personal Stories Of How The Nigerian Police Ever Helped You Out? by tiebe: 10:16am On Feb 19, 2012
Since I've known my dear country, I've never heard any truly heroic story of how the Nigerian Police helped anyone in situations with armed robbers or burglars, or abduction or any of the things a police force is meant to help its citizens with. I only know them to mount road blocks and collect money, wrongfully accuse people, and a few days ago, I heard yet another story of how the police miraculously arrived to the scene of an armed robbery only after the husband and wife were killed, and t[b]he robbers were long gone[/b]. I've basically lost hope in them, but I'm hoping there's someone out there who has ever been saved from a situation by the police.
so, please, any good [b][/b]stories?
Re: Do You Have Personal Stories Of How The Nigerian Police Ever Helped You Out? by Beaf: 10:37am On Feb 19, 2012
No.
Re: Do You Have Personal Stories Of How The Nigerian Police Ever Helped You Out? by agiboma(f): 9:30am On Feb 20, 2012
When our security guard was attacked and left for dead at out filling station, the police came and took him to the hospital and then notified my husband this all took place in the middle of the night. So they are not that bad. smiley
Re: Do You Have Personal Stories Of How The Nigerian Police Ever Helped You Out? by Nobody: 9:31am On Feb 20, 2012
yesooooooooo

there was a night i was going to a party with my wife and family around 11pm.

my car developed fault around Onipanu and we were perplexed .
the patrol guys came around and helped us to push the car into a hotel compound .

they drove us to the party in Allen Avenue without asking for a favour.

na dis bad leadership dey affect police ooo

1000 Gbosas for them,

N:B always dress responsibily and switch ON your inner light whenever u see police at night and also smile.

you can go scot free even with dead body in your car if you do so.
Re: Do You Have Personal Stories Of How The Nigerian Police Ever Helped You Out? by Nobody: 9:37am On Feb 20, 2012
No.
Re: Do You Have Personal Stories Of How The Nigerian Police Ever Helped You Out? by JBL316: 9:43am On Feb 20, 2012
Yes o, They did help me whn i ran into some armed robbers in Gbagada (december 2010). The robbers had collected all my valuables, like phones, cash, and asked me to get out of my car and lie face down and were actually about to enter my car to zoom off when out of nowhere the Police showed up with guns blazing. The armed robbers took off leaving my car. The Police came to me asked if i was ok, and the took me to their corner besides some bridge and asked me to wait and see their DPO who came shortly therafter. The DPO asked a few questions and asked me to go. That was it. The next day i went to their station to show my gratutide. On this occassion, God used them guuuunnnnnn!
Re: Do You Have Personal Stories Of How The Nigerian Police Ever Helped You Out? by kebsongeee: 9:49am On Feb 20, 2012
nooooo
Re: Do You Have Personal Stories Of How The Nigerian Police Ever Helped You Out? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 9:52am On Feb 20, 2012
They have helped on less occasions than more . got jacked by area boys along Ijora/Eko bridge when my car broke down inexplicably at 11:30 PM. i was already receiving hot slaps with boys ransacking my car when a solitary Policeman on Okada showed up,  you should have seen the look on the faces of the Area boyz,  they back-flipped over the bridge and disappeared. I felt so relieved, they called a two-truck from their station to tow me home and I promptly reciprocated the gesture by cutting them a cheque for N10k. they refused at first, but i pleaded with them before one allowed me to pay using is Police ID.  grin but guess what, a year later I was robbed out of N50k at the check-point by Ogunlana round-about by real-live Policemen.  angry angry
Re: Do You Have Personal Stories Of How The Nigerian Police Ever Helped You Out? by runsaway: 9:53am On Feb 20, 2012
yes once - A policeman at a check point paid my bike fares cause he said i was looking tired.

It was just 50 naira and he had just obtained  the money from the bike man carrying me but all the same it was like a dream
Re: Do You Have Personal Stories Of How The Nigerian Police Ever Helped You Out? by badmrkt(m): 9:54am On Feb 20, 2012
not yet!!!
Re: Do You Have Personal Stories Of How The Nigerian Police Ever Helped You Out? by snthesis(m): 10:04am On Feb 20, 2012
Yes they have. A couple of yrs ago, Popsy inhouse driver went out with one of the cars, we didnt think anything was amiss till we observed he hadnt returned with the car for over 5hrs, no one had sent him on an errand and he didnt show up at the office. A look into his room we cud still see his favorite shirt hanging by the window, but on breaking into his quarters we discovered he had cleared all his belongings, that was when we raised the panic button. a couple of minutes later two guys brought the driver to our gate, and asked if we could identify him, we did. The police guys narrated how they ran a two month sting mission on the driver with the dude thinking they were genuine buyers of stolen vehicles, ever since then i always respect the NPF despite its various shortcomings.
Re: Do You Have Personal Stories Of How The Nigerian Police Ever Helped You Out? by RiffRaff: 10:20am On Feb 20, 2012
Nope, There was a day my house was Robbed. A Nieghbor was killed, shot in d Eyes. We called them tire, they didnt show up until 4 hours after the Robbers had left.
Around last Year Nov. I was Robbed around Unilag Junction very close 2 d Bustop, i went 2 Report @ Sabo police station. I had lost my Laptop, project, Wallet & other Valuables. These Clown Told me i have 2 pay N10,000 2 Get a Police Report. While i was @ that Station, they Brought in a Guy, stripped him Naked, poured water on his Body while whippin him. His Crime: he was takin Pics of them @ a Checkpoint while they were Collectin Bribe. They said he wantd 2 Humiliate them by postin it on Facebuk. They were takin his pic while he was Naked tellin him they wil humiliate 2.
I never went back 4 d Police report. These were d 2 times i have had anytin 2 do wit d Police & i hope it is d last
Re: Do You Have Personal Stories Of How The Nigerian Police Ever Helped You Out? by touchmeder: 10:20am On Feb 20, 2012
Not really
Not yet undecided
Re: Do You Have Personal Stories Of How The Nigerian Police Ever Helped You Out? by freakcin: 10:22am On Feb 20, 2012
I left church one Sunday morning and was in a hurry to meet up with an appointment, there was this police van infront of me, I tried overtaking it because of my pressing appointment and was ordered to stop. Before I could say waddup! Gun totting police men had surrounded my car threatening to shoot.

Being a reserved, publicity shy dude, I almost collapsed with fright and embarassment. They kept saying all sort of things, my church people passed by and some advised me to be calm and cooperate, while others had some funny look on their face like (hmmmm, he must be a criminal). My people, when these useless police noticed tears stinging my eyeballs, they finally felt remorseful and apologetic! Rubbish.
Re: Do You Have Personal Stories Of How The Nigerian Police Ever Helped You Out? by Muyee(m): 10:24am On Feb 20, 2012
About 7 years ago, my secondary school was attacked during a religious riot in Kano city. I was writing my WAEC mathematics that day. The policemen practically evacuated our school and rescued us that day from the devils. They now took us to their station and finally drove us to the police headquarters late in the night. That day, I was actually proud of the Nigerian police
Re: Do You Have Personal Stories Of How The Nigerian Police Ever Helped You Out? by stagger: 10:25am On Feb 20, 2012
Yep!

Robbers invaded our estate once and I was so dead tired. Went to put off the gen by 2am not knowing that several houses had already been ransacked. Some of them heard me close the door and came out to know who it was. Their voices alerted a neighbour who was still sleeping and she called the police.

Response time: THREE MINUTES.

The robbers were later captured and executed (extra-judicially though but who cares?)

Na dat day I come know say not all Nigerian Police are bad.
Re: Do You Have Personal Stories Of How The Nigerian Police Ever Helped You Out? by tiarabubu: 10:27am On Feb 20, 2012
Yes oh!

Chilling in my crib when I got a call from a police man. He had found a bag containing stuff, money and my compliment card in it. the policeman told me the name on the document. I identified it belonged to a friend. Called my friend, he got in touch with the policeman and retrieved his documents and money.

It was surreal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Up NAIJA POLICE (some of them oh)   cool cool cool cool cool cool
Re: Do You Have Personal Stories Of How The Nigerian Police Ever Helped You Out? by ceejayluv(m): 10:48am On Feb 20, 2012
Some OPC guys in Lag apprehended a dude who directed them to his crib. They mistakenly knocked on our gate. I went to check and saw hard-looking guys brandishing pump actions. I went inside and dialled 112. a lady picked up and after convincing her that it wasn't a prank call, she diverted the call to the area command. I reported the matter to the officer and he said they will do something about it. Later we realised what really happened and the OPC guys apologised. As i went back to sleep, I heard sirens wailing. I came out and was shocked to see about 14 ARMED cops cordoned the street in front of my crib. Came with about three vans!!! I was so proud of them.
Re: Do You Have Personal Stories Of How The Nigerian Police Ever Helped You Out? by chuckdee4(m): 10:49am On Feb 20, 2012
Lost my phone at the Millenium park a couple of years ago.
Got home and discovered my phone was missing, so i started to call it but got no reply, eventually a lady called me from my phone (At the time i had no credit on it). The lady said her son had found my phone, so she put some crdit on it and decided to call the number that had been frantically calling it.

To cut the long story short, we arranged for me to come pick up the phone at Police HQ in Garki, turns out the lady was a police woman, i offered her some money for her son who had found the phone but she refused, i even offered her some money for the credit she had put in the phone but she refused and said she was a Christian and she only did what she had to do.
They truly are some good cops aout there.

By the way this was an iPhone, which makes it more astonishing
Re: Do You Have Personal Stories Of How The Nigerian Police Ever Helped You Out? by LogicMind: 10:49am On Feb 20, 2012
Yes oo!. The trick is in your wallet/pocket. The deeper your hand goes, the more "help" you will get.
The last "help" I got cost me £10 000.00
Re: Do You Have Personal Stories Of How The Nigerian Police Ever Helped You Out? by thoniann(m): 11:04am On Feb 20, 2012
I misplaced my phone sometime ago in Benin City and when I called the line,a police man picked,identified himself as an officer and told me to come to Esigie Police Station the next day. I got there and he asked me several questions like how much I had as balance,3 numbers last dialed and the make of my phone, lol. I answered all correctly and he handed it over to him. I offered him 200 bucks for refreshment but he declined,saying he just did his job as "a good Samaritan". As I was leaving,another officer asked me to bring the money and he challenged him immediately. I was so proud of the man, unfortunately I have forgotten his name. I would have given him an honour by putting it up here.
Re: Do You Have Personal Stories Of How The Nigerian Police Ever Helped You Out? by Dariye(m): 11:52am On Feb 20, 2012
they've helped me on so many occassions grin
, to cross a busy road.
Re: Do You Have Personal Stories Of How The Nigerian Police Ever Helped You Out? by rawtruth(m): 11:54am On Feb 20, 2012
In 2009, my friend's brother and his friend, both middle aged, were kidnapped when they stopped their car to recharge phones in Otukpo town, Benue state. They were taken to Utonkon, a smaller town reachable through pot-holed bumpy road, and quite a distance. Policemen from CID Makurdi, the state capital, did a James Bond styled rescue mission; they got one of the kidnappers who had come for ransom and he took them to Utonkon. They got there around 12.30am(Midnight), rescued the two aged men who had remained blindfolded since their kidnap two days earlier. The other bad guys guarding the victims ran for their damned lives. I learnt there were blood trails and two loaded guns were abandoned by the fleeing devils. My friend's brother and his friend whose eyes were bloodshot from the effect of the blindfolding tapes said they were only fed with sachet water sprinkled on their lips as their hands were tied at the back. Well, that wasn't bad.
Re: Do You Have Personal Stories Of How The Nigerian Police Ever Helped You Out? by cyprianjr(m): 12:00pm On Feb 20, 2012
Yes. I remember sometime ago,i was driving with my wife and we were looking for the exit leading to 3rd mainland bridge and there was traffic at out present location. We decided to ask a neatly dressed traffic warden woman for directions. She left her post,made sure the "danfo" buses packed properly ( all this while she was directing us ) until we got to the 3rd mainland bridge diversion which by the way was far from where we were initially. I had it in mind that i will compensate her but when i offered her some money,she refused, we were like madam,the money is just to show our appreciation but she said no its ok ,you are like my children and i am only doing my job. We said thank you very much madam and we drove off. Since then when anyone gives a negative comment about the police force,army etc - i say " not all of them are bad ".
Re: Do You Have Personal Stories Of How The Nigerian Police Ever Helped You Out? by Nobody: 12:20pm On Feb 20, 2012
Yes several times.
When I was a teenager, a family friend had offered to drop me off at school after i came home for the weekend on a sunday evening, he gave me a bottle of juice and being a trusted family friend I drank it. On our way he said he had a flat tyre and came down to fix it, i started feeling woozy, some police men were on patrol as it was an almost abandoned area, they stopped to help with the "flat" and when they saw he was behaving suspiciously and I was almost unconscious they told him they will give us a ride, he refused and they started asking me questions which i was finding hard to answer cos i was dizzy, anyway they took me to school, requested to see the Principal and told him what they suspected, I was taken to the school clinic and had my urine tested, the case was reported to my Father who with the help of the Police charged the wicked man to court.

Second time, after my divorce I needed to get a place, I fell in the hands of one of those fake house agents, I reported to the Police station and Inspector there Immediately ordered for the Guy to be arrested, we went to his house, his uncle was trying to form big man, anyway the police men were not intimidated, they stood their ground and in 2 cars we headed for the Police Station, somewhere on our way the uncle slowed down and the Agent got down and ran away the Police man in dat car chased him but couldnt catch him, they still took the uncle to the station, immediately put him in the cell and charged him for aiding the escape of a suspect, The Agent later showed up and paid me my money in full, I tried to give the Inspector some money but he rejected it. He is till today a close family friend, incidentally we attend the same church the day we met in church I had to take him to the pastor and testify of the Mans intergrity and he was commended in front of the whole church.

Third time I lost my bag, containing my passport, id cards, cash and ATM, heard an annoucement on the radio that i should report to a police Station, went there with no hope of getting the cash back but everything was in tact, they were polite and professional, asked me to sign for the items and go.
From time to time I visit different Police Stations and make donations of rain coats, and beverages.
Re: Do You Have Personal Stories Of How The Nigerian Police Ever Helped You Out? by Nobody: 12:26pm On Feb 20, 2012
To be honest,they have several times which includes something as small as giving me direction and protecting me and other passengers in a Chisco bus when we had a mechanical problem at about 11pm on my way to owerri in Imo state
Re: Do You Have Personal Stories Of How The Nigerian Police Ever Helped You Out? by Bawss1(m): 12:26pm On Feb 20, 2012
Yes, a police officer helped me secure my release after I was wrongly arrested by his colleagues in the computer village at Ikeja. For no good reason I was whisked into a waiting bus and taken to a nearby police station. It was there that I called a friend who later called this particular officer who then ordered the arresting officers to let me go. Till this day I have wondered what my offence was as I was only at the computer village to make some purchases, I wasn't even carrying a laptop. Maybe my clothes were too neat. Weird police men.
Re: Do You Have Personal Stories Of How The Nigerian Police Ever Helped You Out? by OpeLovely(f): 12:59pm On Feb 20, 2012
The Nigerian Police are the most USELESS, FOOLISH, SENSELESS people to walk the surface of the earth. And what do you expect, the government employs police personnel who are not graduates that can comprehend situations and effectively investigate problems and proffer solutions.

How many even have a good command of English?
Re: Do You Have Personal Stories Of How The Nigerian Police Ever Helped You Out? by VALIDATOR: 1:17pm On Feb 20, 2012
A policeman has actually helped me in the past.
My transport fare was stolen by some pick pocket and I was stranded at Obalende. With fear on my mind I boarded a molue bus. A policeman in the molue saw how I was panicking as I will not have been able to explain myself to the bus conductor (he had already slapped a co-passenger and taken custody of his footwear for non payment of full transport fare). The poilceman asked me what happened and I told him I was a student searching for SIWES placement and that my transport fare had been stolen. He requested to see my ID card.I showed him and he then paid my transport fare and gave me some more money to take me home.
Re: Do You Have Personal Stories Of How The Nigerian Police Ever Helped You Out? by bulksms247(m): 1:38pm On Feb 20, 2012
Hmmmmm, am still finking abt dis. Dun think dey have helped me on anything
Re: Do You Have Personal Stories Of How The Nigerian Police Ever Helped You Out? by Nobody: 1:47pm On Feb 20, 2012
OpeLovely:

The Nigerian Police are the most USELESS, FOOLISH, SENSELESS people to walk the surface of the earth. And what do you expect, the government employs police personnel who are not graduates that can comprehend situations and effectively investigate problems and proffer solutions.

How many even have a good command of English?
This is how you fail exams, read the topic and if you have no contribution move to another topic, am sure there are a lot of police bashing thread you can find on nairaland .

VALIDATOR:

A policeman has actually helped me in the past.
My transport fare was stolen by some pick pocket and I was stranded at Obalende. With fear on my mind I boarded a molue bus. A policeman in the molue saw how I was panicking as I will not have been able to explain myself to the bus conductor (he had already slapped a co-passenger and taken custody of his footwear for non payment of full transport fare). The poilceman asked me what happened and I told him I was a student searching for SIWES placement and that my transport fare had been stolen. He requested to see my ID card.I showed him and he then paid my transport fare and gave me some more money to take me home.
Lol, you must have been shaking
Re: Do You Have Personal Stories Of How The Nigerian Police Ever Helped You Out? by librangyps(f): 1:51pm On Feb 20, 2012
My ex broke my toshiba laptop to pieces I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ a fit of rage, I was bout 18 at d time and I cried straight to d station, I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ two days a brand new toshiba same model was sittin on my laps cheesy , I offered d policemen bout 3k, they accepted and I smiled home. And they helped me cross busy roads too, , smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

7 Richest Countries In The World. Surprise List. / Banks Not Operating Today In Aba Because Of Biafra / Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Reveals How GEJ Wrecked Nigeria's Economy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.