Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,324 members, 7,811,958 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:55 AM

What Are The Top Rank Universities In Naija To Study Pharmacy? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Are The Top Rank Universities In Naija To Study Pharmacy? (39558 Views)

Best 10 Schools To Study Pharmacy In Nigeria. / Advice On The Easiest Route To Study Pharmacy After B.eng (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are The Top Rank Universities In Naija To Study Pharmacy? by SuyaEater(m): 7:36pm On Feb 22, 2012
Can somebody give me the list i need to go back to nigeria to study pharmacy!
Re: What Are The Top Rank Universities In Naija To Study Pharmacy? by tpia5: 11:15am On Feb 23, 2012
Where are you going back to nigeria from?

Anyway, i think most of the federal universities should have pharmacy programmes.

Just choose the one which is convenient for you.

Oau pharmacy used to be a bit brutal- (not for everyone though)but if you dont want rigorous studies then go to unilag or maybe UI.

I dont know much about the state and private university programs but it seems the ones in the east have a wide variety of cours offerings.
Re: What Are The Top Rank Universities In Naija To Study Pharmacy? by flyuche(m): 3:36pm On Feb 23, 2012
University Of Benin, Benin City, Edo State.
Re: What Are The Top Rank Universities In Naija To Study Pharmacy? by mkmyers45(m): 3:40pm On Feb 23, 2012
I reckon A.B.U's pharmacy faculty is quite good.
Re: What Are The Top Rank Universities In Naija To Study Pharmacy? by anataala: 3:42pm On Feb 23, 2012
udus

1 Like

Re: What Are The Top Rank Universities In Naija To Study Pharmacy? by logica(m): 3:59pm On Feb 23, 2012
Which mushroom universities are these people mentioning?

If the ranking I was familiar with a decade ago still holds, then the ranking is in this order:

Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife
University of Ibadan, Ibadan
University of Lagos, Akoka

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Top Rank Universities In Naija To Study Pharmacy? by kbdrim(m): 4:01pm On Feb 23, 2012
Unijos and OAU use to have the best Pharmacy schools for ages, Dont kno about now, There consistently competed at the annual pharmacy competitions, There are about 8 universities doing pharmacy in Nigeria abt  5 yrs ago, dnt know abt now though

1 Like

Re: What Are The Top Rank Universities In Naija To Study Pharmacy? by kbdrim(m): 4:02pm On Feb 23, 2012
logica:

If the ranking I was familiar with a decade ago still holds, then the ranking is in this order:

All of them for SW abi? berra be sure b4 u post crap?
Re: What Are The Top Rank Universities In Naija To Study Pharmacy? by mkmyers45(m): 4:05pm On Feb 23, 2012
logica:

You can imagine your level of stu.pid.ity, Is the SW the only place with universities Speak for yourself
Re: What Are The Top Rank Universities In Naija To Study Pharmacy? by jikjimmy: 4:14pm On Feb 23, 2012
Uni Jos is the best as far as Pharmacy is concerned
Re: What Are The Top Rank Universities In Naija To Study Pharmacy? by logica(m): 4:16pm On Feb 23, 2012
OK, can you mention a SINGLE renowned Pharmacy Professor in that UniJos?
Re: What Are The Top Rank Universities In Naija To Study Pharmacy? by pedestal82(m): 4:21pm On Feb 23, 2012
@OP, all university mentiond above (except uniben), u will get, Bachelor of Pharmacy(B.Pharm), a five year programe, Univ of Benin u get Doctor of pharmacy for a 6 yrs program. Doctor of pharm(D pharm) which is the in thing around the world presently. Geting to convert from B.pharm to D. Pharm, still run by Uniben, is a three yrs part time programm. My 1 cent

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Top Rank Universities In Naija To Study Pharmacy? by BABSIN(m): 4:24pm On Feb 23, 2012
University of Ibadan & Uniben is highest rank Univesity in Nigeria currently, Although I cannot say same translate to all their Course.  

http://www.4icu.org/topAfrica/

Pharmacy in ABU is as well not bad, it is very thorough and be prepared to spend extra years in school.
Re: What Are The Top Rank Universities In Naija To Study Pharmacy? by gbogboti: 4:27pm On Feb 23, 2012
UNIJOS makes breakthrough in anti-malaria drug
From MARIAM ALESHINLOYE AGBOOLA, Jos
Thursday February 23, 2012

More Stories on This Section

University of Jos has made a breakthrough in the commercial cultivation of Artemisinin, which is a major component in the production of Artemisin Combination Therapy (ACT), which is currently being adjudged as the best solution to the increasing resistance of malaria parasites to anti malaria drug.

Vice Chancellor of the university, Prof. Hayward Babale Mafuyei said this at a press conference at the Bauchi Road Campus of the institution that the breakthrough was made possible by the funding received by the University’s Centre for Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering under the Science and Technology for Post Basic Education (STEP-B) project of the Federal Ministry of Education and the World Bank.

He explained that the Artemisia annua is a plant used in the treatment of malaria and that until recently, it was only known to have been grown in China, India, East Africa and the Island of Madagascar, but that now, the university has successfully cultivated three and half hectares of land at the university’s farm at Gangnim in Langtang South Local Government Area of Plateau State for the malaria drug production in commercial scale.

He revealed that the multi disciplinary scientists of the institution have successfully tested and confirmed the growing of the Artemisia annua for research and large scale production, adding that they have already harvested 283 kg of its dry leaves and 48 Kg of its seeds. The dry leaves, the Vice Chancellor revealed have been tested at the National Institute for Pharmaceutical Research and Development (NIPRD) Abuja by both national and international scientists and it has been confirmed that the Artemisinin content of the dried leaves grown by the institution contains 4.8percent of Artesinin weight which is higher than the strains of the plant grown in other parts of the world.

The growing of this wonder plant by local farmers he explained, could now serve, as a source of revenue for their families, while helping to service the raw materials needs of pharmaceutical industries.

He announced that with the research discovery, the project has graduated research postgraduate students (male and female) at both masters and PhD levels whose research focus covered aspects of the plant and recent innovation in the treatment of malaria disease.

The Vice Chancellor disclosed that the institution had also procured more laboratory equipment and chemicals to enhance the teaching of biotechnology in the centre for Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering.

He called on pharmaceutical companies to partner with the university to acquire adequate quantity of the plant and engage in the local production of the plant for the treatment of malaria; stating that this would stimulate local pharmaceutical industry and bring down the cost of anti malaria drugs, while checking the problem of importation of fake drugs.

He equally appealed to other stakeholders such as medicinal research plant institutes, raw material development council and the national biotechnology development agency to partner with university of Jos in the continued cultivation and research on the Artemisia annua for treating malaria.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2012/feb/23/national-23-02-2012-017.htm
Re: What Are The Top Rank Universities In Naija To Study Pharmacy? by Jaydruke(m): 4:53pm On Feb 23, 2012
Just 2 universities in naija. Obafemi awolowo university and others(classified as 1), Oau remains da best in science and technology,
Re: What Are The Top Rank Universities In Naija To Study Pharmacy? by JahMan1: 5:01pm On Feb 23, 2012
Wahala!
Why not try NAFDAC or Onitsha drug dealers where you can free in less than 3 years and start importation?
Re: What Are The Top Rank Universities In Naija To Study Pharmacy? by JahMan1: 5:01pm On Feb 23, 2012
Wahala!
Why not try NAFDAC or Onitsha drug dealers where you can free in less than 3 years and start importation?
Re: What Are The Top Rank Universities In Naija To Study Pharmacy? by tpia5: 5:08pm On Feb 23, 2012
Oau has one of the toughest programs in pharmacy imo, so i wouldnt advise just anyone to go there although of course its not everyone who will have a tough time.

But places like unilag might be less stressful for pharmacy.

Dont know about most of the other programs but as long as they're accredited by the standard accrediting board, they should be ok.

Na the same salary everybody go collect nah.
Re: What Are The Top Rank Universities In Naija To Study Pharmacy? by HighChief4(m): 5:30pm On Feb 23, 2012
Great UNIBEN is always the best.
Re: What Are The Top Rank Universities In Naija To Study Pharmacy? by Nobody: 6:11pm On Feb 23, 2012
U can read pharmacy anywher bt uniben wil gv u a pharm D and doc of pharm combined instead of doing it as 2 seprate program. Bt naija rugd sha,our system is detoiratin
Re: What Are The Top Rank Universities In Naija To Study Pharmacy? by Aocreation: 6:11pm On Feb 23, 2012
Lets take sentiments out of this, if you are serious about studying pharmacy, I will strongly advice you try UNIBEN.  If the assertion below is correct.

@OP, all university mentiond above (except uniben), u will get, Bachelor of Pharmacy(B.Pharm), a five year programe, Univ of Benin u get Doctor of pharmacy for a 6 yrs program.  Doctor of pharm(D pharm) which is the in thing around the world presently. Geting to convert from B.pharm to D. Pharm, still run by Uniben, is a three yrs part time programm
Re: What Are The Top Rank Universities In Naija To Study Pharmacy? by femoskiade: 6:16pm On Feb 23, 2012
UNIBEN wins hands down!
Re: What Are The Top Rank Universities In Naija To Study Pharmacy? by seunlayi(m): 6:19pm On Feb 23, 2012
uniben

1 Like

Re: What Are The Top Rank Universities In Naija To Study Pharmacy? by boyt1: 6:25pm On Feb 23, 2012
femoskiade:

UNIBEN wins hands down!

Even in Cultism dem no de carry last!
Re: What Are The Top Rank Universities In Naija To Study Pharmacy? by emmke(m): 6:32pm On Feb 23, 2012
logica:

OK, can you mention a SINGLE renowned Pharmacy Professor in that UniJos?
Prof. E. N. Sokomba, Prof. Okwasaba, Prof. J. A. Kolawole. You can google them up. Is not sentiment man, is fact. Unijos's Pharmacy School is one of the best in the country. This is just one their latest achievements:
gbogboti:

UNIJOS makes breakthrough in anti-malaria drug
From MARIAM ALESHINLOYE AGBOOLA, Jos
Thursday February 23, 2012

More Stories on This Section

University of Jos has made a breakthrough in the commercial cultivation of Artemisinin, which is a major component in the production of Artemisin Combination Therapy (ACT), which is currently being adjudged as the best solution to the increasing resistance of malaria parasites to anti malaria drug.

Vice Chancellor of the university, Prof. Hayward Babale Mafuyei said this at a press conference at the Bauchi Road Campus of the institution that the breakthrough was made possible by the funding received by the University’s Centre for Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering under the Science and Technology for Post Basic Education (STEP-B) project of the Federal Ministry of Education and the World Bank.

He explained that the Artemisia annua is a plant used in the treatment of malaria and that until recently, it was only known to have been grown in China, India, East Africa and the Island of Madagascar, but that now, the university has successfully cultivated three and half hectares of land at the university’s farm at Gangnim in Langtang South Local Government Area of Plateau State for the malaria drug production in commercial scale.

He revealed that the multi disciplinary scientists of the institution have successfully tested and confirmed the growing of the Artemisia annua for research and large scale production, adding that they have already harvested 283 kg of its dry leaves and 48 Kg of its seeds. The dry leaves, the Vice Chancellor revealed have been tested at the National Institute for Pharmaceutical Research and Development (NIPRD) Abuja by both national and international scientists and it has been confirmed that the Artemisinin content of the dried leaves grown by the institution contains 4.8percent of Artesinin weight which is higher than the strains of the plant grown in other parts of the world.

The growing of this wonder plant by local farmers he explained, could now serve, as a source of revenue for their families, while helping to service the raw materials needs of pharmaceutical industries.

He announced that with the research discovery, the project has graduated research postgraduate students (male and female) at both masters and PhD levels whose research focus covered aspects of the plant and recent innovation in the treatment of malaria disease.

The Vice Chancellor disclosed that the institution had also procured more laboratory equipment and chemicals to enhance the teaching of biotechnology in the centre for Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering.

He called on pharmaceutical companies to partner with the university to acquire adequate quantity of the plant and engage in the local production of the plant for the treatment of malaria; stating that this would stimulate local pharmaceutical industry and bring down the cost of anti malaria drugs, while checking the problem of importation of fake drugs.

He equally appealed to other stakeholders such as medicinal research plant institutes, raw material development council and the national biotechnology development agency to partner with university of Jos in the continued cultivation and research on the Artemisia annua for treating malaria.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2012/feb/23/national-23-02-2012-017.htm

Re: What Are The Top Rank Universities In Naija To Study Pharmacy? by josites(m): 6:46pm On Feb 23, 2012
Sir, unn,nsukka would have been a destination, but i dont want you to collect your certificate of attendance in the medical centre, for it is not for mediocres. Getting 2:1 in zoology is even a problem. Am a biochemistry undergraduate there, i barely sleep in my house, every time is night class till dawn. Just go and manage any SW university. "Your health is you wealth". Unn is called a lion's den. Its logo is to restore the dignity of man. Prof Dora Akunyili was a prof there before her appointment as nafdac boss

1 Like

Re: What Are The Top Rank Universities In Naija To Study Pharmacy? by Nobody: 7:34pm On Feb 23, 2012
I am a pharmacist and I trained at UNN. And I love UNN. However because of the offer of Pharm D at UNIBEN I strongly recommend you go to Uniben

1 Like

Re: What Are The Top Rank Universities In Naija To Study Pharmacy? by GboyegaD(m): 7:46pm On Feb 23, 2012
josites:

Sir, unn,nsukka would have been a destination, but i dont want you to collect your certificate of attendance in the medical centre, for it is not for mediocres. Getting 2:1 in zoology is even a problem. Am a biochemistry undergraduate there, i barely sleep in my house, every time is night class till dawn. Just go and manage any SW university. "Your health is you wealth". Unn is called a lion's den. Its logo is to restore the dignity of man. Prof Dora Akunyili was a prof there before her appointment as nafdac boss

When did sleeping in class become a measure of a school's standard? Your choice to sleep in class is best known to you because not everyone who sleeps in class reads or assimilate all night at least my bunkmate in 200L is a perfect example.

Poster, your motive should guide you as to which school to attend. I know Ife's pharmacy is quite rigorous and sometimes, they tend to create fear in student however, if you are an average student you sure would do well though might not make a distinction.
As for UNIBEN, I do not know how tough it is but I know you are allowed to carry over a course from a level to another which does not happen in some pharmacy schools as you are expected to pass all the classes per level thus, no room for carry over.
Lastly, I would not recommend you atten any of the private schools that offers the course because they have over time proven that they are worse in most cases than government schools in terms of standard.
Re: What Are The Top Rank Universities In Naija To Study Pharmacy? by muyoto: 8:13pm On Feb 23, 2012
GboyegaD:

When did sleeping in class become a measure of a school's standard? Your choice to sleep in class is best known to you because not everyone who sleeps in class reads or assimilate all night at least my bunkmate in 200L is a perfect example.

Poster, your motive should guide you as to which school to attend. I know Ife's pharmacy is quite rigorous and sometimes, they tend to create fear in student however, if you are an average student you sure would do well though might not make a distinction.
As for UNIBEN, I do not know how tough it is but I know you are allowed to carry over a course from a level to another which does not happen in some pharmacy schools as you are expected to pass all the classes per level thus, no room for carry over.

@ not true. ALL pharmacy schools give room for carry-over of courses provided the maximum number of credits for that particular level have not been exceeded.

@OP, As you can see, Uniben, predictably, has carried the day. The reason is not far fetched: the PharmD program is just one of them. A fully functional computer room with internet facility available for student use; air conditioned lecture theaters ( for years 3 & 5, I hope the A/c still they work sha!); well equipped labs for practicals, and of course a truly formidable array of erudite academicians to instill in you the essence of pharmacy practice.

I would also join the others in advising you stay away from the private universities.
Re: What Are The Top Rank Universities In Naija To Study Pharmacy? by GboyegaD(m): 8:34pm On Feb 23, 2012
muyoto:

@ not true. [b]ALL pharmacy schools give room for carry-over of courses provided the maximum number of credits for that particular level have not been exceeded. [/b]
@OP, As you can see, Uniben, predictably, has carried the day. The reason is not far fetched: the PharmD program is just one of them. A fully functional computer room with internet facility available for student use; air conditioned lecture theaters ( for years 3 & 5, I hope the A/c still they work sha!); well equipped labs for practicals, and of course a truly formidable array of erudite academicians to instill in you the essence of pharmacy practice.

I would also join the others in advising you stay away from the private universities.

If you read my response well, you would realise I spoke on only 2 schools that I have information on because I graduated from one and for the other, my uncle used to be the faculty officer as such I have visited the department many times. Till tomorrow, Ife does not allow you carry over a single pharmacy course. If you need confirmation, you can take the next available cab to Ife to confirm grin grin grin lipsrsealed.
Lastly, never be in a haste to generalise when you are not sure because it doesn't speak well of you. You just committed a fallacy of hasty generalisation (in philosophy) and fallacy of composition (in economics) by the bolded part of your response.
Re: What Are The Top Rank Universities In Naija To Study Pharmacy? by Obi1kenobi(m): 8:42pm On Feb 23, 2012
This is an exercise in futility, OP. You'll just get all these delusional graduates from SW universities spamming your board with what they've been brainwashed with. Almost all accredited Federal universities offer a competitive, rigorous program. An OAU, UI or UNILAG pharmacy graduate has no real advantage over a UNIBEN or UNN graduate. They're all about the same.

Ps: Why are OAU students and graduates so insufferably arrogant? I can't think of a more unbearable group of alumni - not even UNILAG alumni who can be amusingly smug.
Re: What Are The Top Rank Universities In Naija To Study Pharmacy? by tpia5: 8:44pm On Feb 23, 2012
Ife indeed has one of the toughest pharmacy schools in the country.

Anyone who went there knows this.

No be small thing at all though some students scale through sha.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Can I Do Masters With A 3rd Class Degree In Europe (USA)? / Nigerian Universities Break Into Top 500 World University Ranking / Hilarious. #oaustories Now Trending On Twitter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.