Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,645 members, 7,809,441 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:37 AM

Nigeria's New Science Fund Takes Us As Its Model - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigeria's New Science Fund Takes Us As Its Model (2976 Views)

What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade / Anambra Takes First Position In Schools Debate / Mass Communication Student Of National Open University Of Nigeria[new And Old]. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria's New Science Fund Takes Us As Its Model by Beaf: 9:03pm On Feb 22, 2012
[size=14pt]Nigeria's new science fund takes US as its model[/size]
Dedicated research support to be managed independently from government.
Emeka JohnKingsley
22 February 2012
Abuja

An article from SciDev.Net.

Nigeria is to get a dedicated science fund similar to the US National Science Foundation, to provide support for research in the country.

The National Science Research, Technology and Innovation Fund, announced last month (25 January), will be run by an independent board and headed by Nigeria's president Goodluck Jonathan, a scientist by training.

[img]http://www.nature.com/polopoly_fs/7.2984.1329928149!/image/%C2%A9US%20Army%20Africa.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_300/%C2%A9US%20Army%20Africa.jpg[/img]
Nigerian science funding has so far come from international agencies, or from government departments not dedicated to science. (Here, lab technicians receive malaria microscopy training from a U.S. Army Research Unit near Lagos, Nigeria).
US Army Africa

Nigeria's recent science, technology and innovation (STI) policy, approved in December by Nigeria's highest decision-making body, the Federal Executive Council, advocated for a minimum of one per cent of the country's gross domestic product (GDP) to be spent on science by the public and private sectors, and international organisations.

The fund has been set up in line with recommendations of the policy, but specifics on how it will operate have not yet been released.

A source in the science ministry said that the money for the fund would come from the government, along with the private sector and development agencies.

At present, research funds come primarily from the budgets of individual agencies and of international agencies. There is no specific science fund.

Previous research funds have been proposed, such as one in 2006 with a planned endowment of US$5 billion from oil revenues – but none of these proposals was successful.

But hopes are high for this new fund as the idea comes from the new STI policy, which the government says it will start implementing soon.

Read more on SciDev.Net.

The permanent secretary of the science ministry, Dere Awosika, said that the Ministry of Finance was due to announce the budget of the fund in the next two weeks.

Nigeria's minister of information, Labaran Maku, said the creation of the fund meant the country was "taking a major step" in realising its development agenda, 'Vision 2020'.

The fund will be independent, managed outside the regular government funding system and open to applications from all Nigerian research organisations, said Maku.

The director-general of the National Agency for Science and Engineering Infrastructure, Olusegun Adewoye, called on the government to provide an endowment of US$10 billion.

He said the country needs a science strategy to decide how to spend the money.

"Before the money is touched at all, there should be a strategic plan for what Nigeria needs to do in two, five and in 25 years," he said, adding that Nigeria should concentrate on building up research areas that it can succeed in.

The president of the Nigerian Academy of Science, Oye Ibidapo Obe, suggested to SciDev.Net that a percentage of national tax income should be set aside to finance the fund.

He said the fund should be operated in a transparent way by a committee consisting of members of the Nigerian Academy of Science and similar organisations.

The secretary-general of the Uganda National Academy of Sciences, Justin Epelu-Opio, welcomed the fund and said his academy would advocate a similar fund in Uganda.

http://www.nature.com/news/nigeria-s-new-science-fund-takes-us-as-its-model-1.10086
Re: Nigeria's New Science Fund Takes Us As Its Model by igbaodun: 1:36am On Feb 23, 2012
When did GEJ become a scientist?

I thought he was a fisherman, NO?

Science fund ko, Nigeria institute of health ni.
Re: Nigeria's New Science Fund Takes Us As Its Model by SEFAGO(m): 4:34am On Feb 23, 2012
The National Science Research, Technology and Innovation Fund, announced last month (25 January), will be run by an independent board and headed by Nigeria's president Goodluck Jonathan, a scientist by training.

February Fools day
Re: Nigeria's New Science Fund Takes Us As Its Model by Kobojunkie: 5:03am On Feb 23, 2012

The National Science Research, Technology and Innovation Fund, announced last month (25 January), [size=13pt]will be run by an independent board and headed by Nigeria's president Goodluck Jonathan[/size], a scientist by training.
Re: Nigeria's New Science Fund Takes Us As Its Model by sheyguy: 6:55am On Feb 23, 2012
GEJ shld stop carrying himself like a conman, there are other more pressing needs as far as science education and research are concerned.
Re: Nigeria's New Science Fund Takes Us As Its Model by Nobody: 7:00am On Feb 23, 2012
Our Money eh
Our Money eh
Nigeria Money eh
Jona dey chop am yanfuyanfu

Our Money
Our Money eh
Nigeria money eh
Jona dey chop am yanfuyanfu

Him dey chop am yanfuyanfu
Jona dey chop am yagayaga
Him dey chop am lefulefu
Jona dey chop yagayaga
yagayaga
yagagaga
Gbam gbam gbam
Jona dey chop am oh!!!!

Jona the Thief.
Re: Nigeria's New Science Fund Takes Us As Its Model by Beaf: 9:11am On Feb 23, 2012
The idea is excellent if it would be carried out properly. Our uni's and research institutes hardly do any research, talkless of being the fulcrum around which we will develop. I am really interested to see how this will perform.
Re: Nigeria's New Science Fund Takes Us As Its Model by Nobody: 10:18am On Feb 23, 2012
Beaf Beaf!!! cheesy I have really missed you dude.

Ahem!! Lemme comment: So Jonathan Goodluck has decided to deceive us again? He sent you to put this up nairaland eh? Scientific bla bla.

In your above pix, why are all the research scientist staring into their microscopes at the same time? Dont they have anything else to do like culturing and mixing reagents. Oh! I guess, they are all models and not real scientists,  posing for a photograph.

And secondly, the whole scientific thingy is "independent" but will still be answerable only to Goodluck Jonathan. What a paradox. Independent indeed.

Beaf my man, don't worry your time is coming. Very soon. Keep deceiving us with your lies. Every dog has its day and our day is coming.
Re: Nigeria's New Science Fund Takes Us As Its Model by Arosa(m): 10:25am On Feb 23, 2012
This is what I am talking about, we need more funding for our schools. Good move GEJ. But please let it work.
Re: Nigeria's New Science Fund Takes Us As Its Model by Demdem(m): 10:25am On Feb 23, 2012
wettin retardeen know about science again? is like i asking Dr Peter Odili (a medical doctor) to perform an operation. These guys only know one thing now, POLITICS.
However the idea isnt bad to be honest.
Re: Nigeria's New Science Fund Takes Us As Its Model by Beaf: 10:27am On Feb 23, 2012
pDude:

Beaf Beaf!!! cheesy I have really missed you dude.

Ahem!! Lemme comment: So Jonathan Goodluck has decided to deceive us again? He sent you to put this up nairaland eh? Scientific bla bla.

In your above pix, why are all the research scientist staring into their microscopes at the same time? Dont they have anything else to do like culturing and mixing reagents. Oh! I guess, they are all models and not real scientists,  posing for a photograph.

And secondly, the whole scientific thingy is "independent" but will still be answerable only to Goodluck Jonathan. What a paradox. Independent indeed.

Beaf my man, don't worry your time is coming. Very soon. Keep deceiving us with your lies. Every dog has its day and our day is coming.

Stop seeking attention like an id!ot.
Re: Nigeria's New Science Fund Takes Us As Its Model by Beaf: 10:33am On Feb 23, 2012
Arosa:

This is what I am talking about, we need more funding for our schools. Good move GEJ. But please let it work.

The fact that its independent bodes well. There was talk last year of setting a percentage of our GDP aside for Research and Development; a first in Nigeria.
It really is the way to go. In developed countries, uni's are at the forefront of technology, because they are very well funded; but over here they are just glorified building steeped in poverty (of mind and money).

IMHO, to succeed, the entire curriculum would need to change for a much more hands on mode of learning that is backed by critical thinking skills.
Re: Nigeria's New Science Fund Takes Us As Its Model by Nobody: 10:34am On Feb 23, 2012
If Goodluck Jonathan = Failure

Research bullshyt = Goodluck jonathan (in charge)

Substitute Failure for Goodluck in the equation$

Therefore: Research bullshyt = Failure (in charge)

Answer
Research bullshyt = Failure.

And we will wonder in future why the project failed.  undecided
Re: Nigeria's New Science Fund Takes Us As Its Model by Nobody: 10:40am On Feb 23, 2012
This Beaf is a sly thief. This is what caught his interest

The fund will be independent, managed outside the regular government funding system and open to applications from all Nigerian research organisations, said Maku.

His dead forum www.afrosciencecommunity.com has been like a zombie for awhile now. So he thinks this is an opportunity to hit the jack pot. Due to excitement he made this post. Money nor dey again oh! him wan chop him own.
Re: Nigeria's New Science Fund Takes Us As Its Model by Nobody: 10:47am On Feb 23, 2012
diluminati:

His dead forum www.afrosciencecommunity.com has been like a zombie for awhile now. So he thinks this is an opportunity to hit the jack pot. Due to excitement he made this post. Money nor dey again oh! him wan chop him own.

Choi!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy

See shot!! dilluminati just killed the bed bug Beaf. Choi!! Good word @dilluminati. Him don dey excited because na opportunity to resurrect his dead site and make some quick bucks. grin
Re: Nigeria's New Science Fund Takes Us As Its Model by Beaf: 10:51am On Feb 23, 2012
diluminati:

That forum is quiet, because those of us who put love into it are quite busy people (which is unfortunate in many ways). Money is not the problem, love; We have received enough offers out of the blue from very reputable bodies and we have been running sweetly without a dime from kwashiokored winshes like you.

Its good to know that even vultures are keeping track of that site. How many of you can give away stuff like that? You are just all mouth and hatred, whereas you can visibly see what some ogf us can freely provide. I know you are jealous, evil people always have a way of being jealous at the deeds of the pure hearted.

Why can't you start your own version of www.afrosciencecommunity.com to help people? Or are you just too busy sucking the blood of babies?
Re: Nigeria's New Science Fund Takes Us As Its Model by Beaf: 10:56am On Feb 23, 2012
pDude:

Choi!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy

See shot!! dilluminati just killed the bed bug Beaf. Choi!! Good word @dilluminati. Him don dey excited because na opportunity to resurrect his dead site and make some quick bucks. grin

Whithin the next two days, we will announce another mode of yam harvester here on NL, and as usual it would be FREE for all Africans. What can you people show for all your cackling?
If we so wish, from now until the end of the year we can give out a free invention every week. It is God that provides the means.
Re: Nigeria's New Science Fund Takes Us As Its Model by Nobody: 11:05am On Feb 23, 2012
Beaf:

That forum is quiet, because those of us who put love into it are quite busy people (which is unfortunate in many ways). Money is not the problem, love; We have received enough offers out of the blue from very reputable bodies and we have been running sweetly without a dime from kwashiokored winshes like you.

Its good to know that even vultures are keeping track of that site. How many of you can give away stuff like that? You are just all mouth and hatred, whereas you can visibly see what some ogf us can freely provide. I know you are jealous, evil people always have a way of being jealous at the deeds of the pure hearted.

Why can't you start your own version of www.afrosciencecommunity.com to help people? Or are you just too busy sucking the blood of babies?

Re: Nigeria's New Science Fund Takes Us As Its Model by Beaf: 11:09am On Feb 23, 2012
^
You have very tiny "balloons!"
Do you mind doing some "science" with them? grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria's New Science Fund Takes Us As Its Model by Dainfamous: 11:10am On Feb 23, 2012
Hope so this is a step,
Re: Nigeria's New Science Fund Takes Us As Its Model by Nobody: 11:14am On Feb 23, 2012
Beaf:

Whithin the next two days, we will announce another mode of yam harvester here on NL, and as usual it would be FREE for all Africans. What can you people show for all your cackling?
If we so wish, from now until the end of the year we can give out a free invention every week. It is God that provides the means.

scammer!

remember this guy? do you think you can scam like him? he also made so many wonderful claims. You just dey start!

[img]http://api.ning.com/files/Vd5vQH5OsI6qaszGN8ri-fY*eN5EcbuYMWb611kVWrmAzzig8Nwb*YwndzbCEDXPzC2*VhrZ2ExZAV*Q8ezbE9B0vkpchYnz/Emeagwali.jpg[/img]
Re: Nigeria's New Science Fund Takes Us As Its Model by Nobody: 11:24am On Feb 23, 2012
Beaf:

Whithin the next two days, we will announce another mode of yam harvester here on NL, and[b] as usual it would be FREE for all Africans[/b]. What can you people show for all your cackling?

Beaf, I have never really trusted you with anything that you say but this time, I am going to trust you a bit with that above statement. I declare my interest in receiving a FREE yam harvester. I have people who have the technical know-how and repair skills requisite in possessing one. My email address is .  pin 26DE8A68.

If you don't make good your word, then you are not an honorable man.
Re: Nigeria's New Science Fund Takes Us As Its Model by Beaf: 11:39am On Feb 23, 2012
pDude:

Beaf, I have never really trusted you with anything that you say but this time, I am going to trust you a bit with that above statement. I declare my interest in receiving a FREE yam harvester. I have people who have the technical know-how and repair skills requisite in possessing one. My email address is myalconduit@yahoo.com.  pin 26DE8A68.

If you don't make good your word, then you are not an honorable man.

Why don't you go to the website you are making fun of like a fool and help yourself?
There is already one type of yam harvester there for you to do with as you please. There is also a plantain harvester there as well FREE.

Get your technical people to build it and make yourself useful to your community instead of acting the fool and blocking others who might need it more than you. Maybe you will even be the one to apply for the R & D grant to help yourself.
Re: Nigeria's New Science Fund Takes Us As Its Model by aglomar: 12:09pm On Feb 23, 2012
Great development, I only hope that d implementatn is great too. After the order of d US, great tech ventures will start springing up here with ots attendant benefits. Who knows, we may even have our own Ajegunle Valley!

Re: Nigeria's New Science Fund Takes Us As Its Model by member479760: 1:04pm On Feb 23, 2012
those guys are just looking the microscope they will never see anything there!
Re: Nigeria's New Science Fund Takes Us As Its Model by Nobody: 2:00pm On Feb 23, 2012
diluminati:

scammer!

remember this guy? do you think you can scam like him? he also made so many wonderful claims. You just dey start!

[img]http://api.ning.com/files/Vd5vQH5OsI6qaszGN8ri-fY*eN5EcbuYMWb611kVWrmAzzig8Nwb*YwndzbCEDXPzC2*VhrZ2ExZAV*Q8ezbE9B0vkpchYnz/Emeagwali.jpg[/img]

How dare u call the " father of the internet" a scam artist? grin
Re: Nigeria's New Science Fund Takes Us As Its Model by SNCOQ3(m): 7:50pm On Feb 23, 2012
good move. i hope it'l be well executed.
Re: Nigeria's New Science Fund Takes Us As Its Model by TitilayoK(f): 11:19am On Feb 24, 2012
I worked at the US National Science Foundation (NSF) for 6 years and the thinking behind it is excellent. NSF funds 80% of the science and innovation in the country. It's the reason countless students majoring in science/engineering fields can afford to go to university. NSF funded the expansion of the Internet as we know it and gave grants to the founders of everyone's favorite search engine-- Google. Without NSF, much the technology that makes the modern world run would not exist.

That being said having lived in Nigeria, the majority, if not all of the money is going to be embezzled. It's so sad because if the money was actually used this model would actually help bring Nigeria into a new age cry My Directorate's budget was $1 billion USD and it really went to universities for research. Even my small university got a $1 million dollar grant. I wish the Nigerian government could be honest enough to help it's own people like that, but I won't hold my breathe undecided
Re: Nigeria's New Science Fund Takes Us As Its Model by sammirano: 11:41am On Feb 24, 2012
nakedall:

those guys are just looking the microscope they will never see anything there!

That na true talk.

(1) (Reply)

Waec Gce Original Cert / Help Me Pls I Can No Longer Stay At Home / My Phd Program In Jeopardy. Please Help (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.