Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,070 members, 7,818,192 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:58 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (174) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4442126 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (171) (172) (173) (174) (175) (176) (177) ... (2229) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:05pm On Jul 12, 2016
Idiot and who told you 2017 rate will be 15%? 2018 rate also 15% right? ok smart boi.

Fixed-income investors are the hardest hit by inflation. Suppose that a year ago you invested $1,000 in a Treasury bill with a 10% yield. Now that you are about to collect the $1,100 owed to you, is your $100 (10%) return real? Of course not! Assuming inflation was positive for the year, your purchasing power has fallen and, therefore, so has your real return. We have to take into account the chunk inflation has taken out of your return. If inflation was 4%, then your return is really 6%.

From above if your country inflation is 15% and your intrest rate on that year is 15% ..Mumu said it is blood money.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:05pm On Jul 12, 2016
Tritri:

Go school And learn u no go gree..Innitial Gra gra dey worry U. ,we talking about interest rate . ur talking about compound interest , with inflation ur only money is still your 20M.

For your Info.I owe a Bonds worth over 100M...Yes and am regreting that now. why..as at then the rate was 12.54% which seems to be the best..4month later rate is 15%...who's losing?

Finally u seems very smart..Why not go put ur 20M on T.B then start dreaming how to buy a range rover because you just did blood money .

Real Interest Rate'
The real interest rate is the growth rate of purchasing power derived from an investment. By adjusting the nominal interest rate to compensate for inflation, you are keeping the purchasing power of a given level of capital constant over time.

For example, if you are earning 4% interest per year on the savings in your bank account, and inflation is currently 3% per year, then the real interest rate you are receiving is 1% (4% - 3% = 1%). The real value of your savings will only increase by 1% per year, when purchasing power is taken into consideration.

Another one

Real Interest Rate = Nominal Rate – Inflation Rate

It’s important that the real interest rate be positive so that a lender or investor knows he’s beating inflation. If the real interest rate is less than zero, then the rate being charged on a loan or paid on a savings account is not beating inflation. The lender or saver would be losing money from a purchasing power perspective.

For instance, Fred has $1,000 and wants to buy a refrigerator that costs that exact amount, but he doesn’t need the refrigerator until next year. So Fred places the $1,000 with his bank in a one-year certificate of deposit paying 5% interest. This 5% is the nominal rate. If inflation is 6% then, using Fisher’s formula, the real rate of interest on the CD is negative 1%.

At the end of the CD’s term, Fred receives $1,000 plus $50 interest. But because of the 6% inflation the price of the refrigerator is now $1,060. Fred’s $1,050 is now not enough to buy the refrigerator. From a purchasing power perspective, Fred actually lost money over the one-year term

@Chukzyfcb As i said earlier Innitial gra gra...Local Champion.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:16pm On Jul 12, 2016
Chukzyfcb:

I would have gone to ghana to invest but my reseArch has shown they don't Allow non citizens to. Plus I'm at risk of exchange rate fluctuations.
IF only you knew the power of compound interest, you wouldn't be saying what you are saying.
I want to let you know that. If you invest 20million Annually in tbills of discount rate of 15% for 5yrs. Your 20million will turn to 45million naira.....same time if you buy a Plot of land for 20million today, in 5yrs U CANNOT sell that same piece of land for 45million. Its almst impossible. That's the Power of Compound Interest.
Don't mention business jeez you must be a Kid!, when Investment is discussed what they talk is
- T bills & Bonds
- stocks
- commercial paper & Banker acceptances
- real estate
- Valuables like art work or Gold
No Investment teaching manual or Book discusses business. In Investment talks are on ; how money works for you. In business, you work for your money.
You don't sound thAt smart to me. Raise your argument not your voice

Have also heard the main reason why most banks are laying off staff is simply because of STA policy, before now, they get easy money (apart from d extra reap-off charges) from Government agencies n other to invest in Treasury bills n bond and at the year end they declare billions as profits......that should tell us something, Tbills is cool......but time value of money in regards to inflation is not cool in d long run.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Chukzyfcb(m): 8:18pm On Jul 12, 2016
Tritri:

Go school And learn u no go gree..Innitial Gra gra dey worry U. ,we talking about interest rate . ur talking about compound interest , with inflation ur only money is still your 20M.

For your Info.I owe a Bonds worth over 100M...Yes and am regreting that now. why..as at then the rate was 12.54% which seems to be the best..4month later rate is 15%...who's losing?

Finally u seems very smart..Why not go put ur 20M on T.B then start dreaming how to buy a range rover because you just did blood money .

Real Interest Rate'
The real interest rate is the growth rate of purchasing power derived from an investment. By adjusting the nominal interest rate to compensate for inflation, you are keeping the purchasing power of a given level of capital constant over time.

For example, if you are earning 4% interest per year on the savings in your bank account, and inflation is currently 3% per year, then the real interest rate you are receiving is 1% (4% - 3% = 1%). The real value of your savings will only increase by 1% per year, when purchasing power is taken into consideration.

Another one

Real Interest Rate = Nominal Rate – Inflation Rate

It’s important that the real interest rate be positive so that a lender or investor knows he’s beating inflation. If the real interest rate is less than zero, then the rate being charged on a loan or paid on a savings account is not beating inflation. The lender or saver would be losing money from a purchasing power perspective.

For instance, Fred has $1,000 and wants to buy a refrigerator that costs that exact amount, but he doesn’t need the refrigerator until next year. So Fred places the $1,000 with his bank in a one-year certificate of deposit paying 5% interest. This 5% is the nominal rate. If inflation is 6% then, using Fisher’s formula, the real rate of interest on the CD is negative 1%.

At the end of the CD’s term, Fred receives $1,000 plus $50 interest. But because of the 6% inflation the price of the refrigerator is now $1,060. Fred’s $1,050 is now not enough to buy the refrigerator. From a purchasing power perspective, Fred actually lost money over the one-year term

@Chukzyfcb As i said earlier Innitial gra gra...Local Champion.
Inflation rate is 14% likely to 15% of which the projection may average 13-14% for the year......T bills "true yield" for the 364days is 17%.
If I invest the interest for the next coming years at the same rate, my Interest rate will also push higher. Mr Tri tri how am I losing money when I'm still afloat?
Do you just want to talk or what?

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:23pm On Jul 12, 2016
Now do you know last month T.B was just 12% per year....3month ago 7% per year...now it 15%..Wat gave u the assurance it still gonna be 15% 2017?

Meanwhile ur afloat doesnt mean ur making money...U still don't get it with all d Teaching above it shows people like u na over sabi dey worry U.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Chukzyfcb(m): 8:30pm On Jul 12, 2016
Ryder306:

Have also heard the main reason why most banks are laying off staff is simply because of STA policy, before now, they get easy money (apart from d extra reap-off charges) from Government agencies n other to invest in Treasury bills n bond and at the year end they declare billions as profits......that should tell us something, Tbills is cool......but time value of money in regards to inflation is not cool in d long run.
With regards to inflation, real estate is always seen as the best hedge. Because you can always increase your rental fee as things get more expensive but how many people have the cash to build & rent. T bills is also good & even better when you re-invest your interest (compound interest). Which is what I was pointing out. If one will only buy A plot of land & leave it undeveloped so he can use it to hedge against inflation, one who has been re investing his t bills yearly (compound) will catch up & overtake him overtime. Most people don't know the power of compound interest which is my main point

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:40pm On Jul 12, 2016
Ryder306:

Thank u , Even companies who generate 20%-40% profit cant keep up with the rise in price hike of raw material anymore and r fast closing down, U sit down dere dey shout 15% blood money ...why u no go ghana 22% but after maturity buy bottle water for 500 cedies.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Chukzyfcb(m): 8:43pm On Jul 12, 2016
Tritri:
Now do you know last month T.B was just 12% per year....3month ago 7% per year...now it 15%..Wat gave u the assurance it still gonna be 15% 2017?

Meanwhile ur afloat doesnt mean ur making money...U still don't get it with all d Teaching above it shows people like u na over sabi dey worry U.
No assurance it will be 15% that's why I shouted BLOOD MONEY! Because this is a rate that is massive last time tbills was this high was like 2012 or so going by the records.
And please stop lying to score cheap points. A 364 tbills has never gone below 10%. 3months ago here was the discount rate ;
April 20, 2016
91 Days.....7.8%
182 days......8.9%
365 days.....10.2%

An Investment is promising you 17% annually & you are complaining of the inflation rate of 14%, will you not take the advantage rather than keep the money in your bank? Don't make it harder than it seem.
Many people have loads of cash lying in the bank even though they have business that's doing well.
For the fact that inflation rate is rising, I foresee an even higher rate to entice investors. If T bills hit 20% discount rate for 364days, don't key in then. You can as well keep the money under your pillow
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ukay2: 10:10pm On Jul 12, 2016
My oga Chuks and Tritri.....una weldone... Wasting your energy in calling your dirty names to proof points...that is not maturity....

Oga Tritri seems to be right in this argument in real investment point of view...end point....

In TB....your just trying to meet up with inflation rate, hence, why its better buying TB than leaving the ,money in your savings account....

I invest in TB, Bonds, MMF, Real Estate and Stocks......each has its own PERSONAL reasons I invest in them...

If your very good in stock exchange investment... You can gain up to 100% return...otherwise.... Minus100% return

I now make more returns in NSE... After loosing some money in my learning days...
With good entry point...you see your profit up to 100% in weeks during bullish period.....insider info always beneficial

Make we de overtake inflation small small with NTB.....high TB rates and inflation rates are negative to our economy..

Thanks

Make una no talk sey I no sabi economics as I no study am for school

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:56pm On Jul 12, 2016
Thank U. Almost everyone started as @Chukzyfcb but when u start to do T.B it another ball game.

@Chukzyfcb 7 month ago I did a casement window + bulgary for 6 NO 3 BEDRUM FLAT..it cost me 1.650M to site.

last Month i contacted the same Fabricator guy for similar 6 no 3 bedroom last price he gave me was 2.250..remember the same site same everything same design..

But i av T.B dat is paid me 9% or 10% per annum ,but within that 1yr the price of fabricating casement window has increased by 30-40% . I still havent done it and am regretting how i wish i NEVER bought T.B.

Now this is not only me.Ask people how price has gone up on everything at the market.almost 30-40 % high just within 6month.

Your T.B is only better against Savings acct.

This is Reality. Not reading nairaland and think it easy.

You shouting 17% Yield dat yeild not RATE but the last rate is 14.99 per annum. NOBODY ON THIS FORUM HAS GOTTIN 17% .

Stock is an Investment right? Go and load ur stock account and see exacltly .
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Chukzyfcb(m): 11:46pm On Jul 12, 2016
Tritri:
Thank U. Almost everyone started as @Chukzyfcb but when u start to do T.B it another ball game.

@Chukzyfcb 7 month ago I did a casement window + bulgary for 6 NO 3 BEDRUM FLAT..it cost me 1.650M to site.

last Month i contacted the same Fabricator guy for similar 6 no 3 bedroom last price he gave me was 2.250..remember the same site same everything same design..

But i av T.B dat is paid me 9% or 10% per annum ,but within that 1yr the price of fabricating casement window has increased by 30-40% . I still havent done it and am regretting how i wish i NEVER bought T.B.

Now this is not only me.Ask people how price has gone up on everything at the market.almost 30-40 % high just within 6month.

Your T.B is only better against Savings acct.

This is Reality. Not reading nairaland and think it easy.

You shouting 17% Yield dat yeild not RATE but the last rate is 14.99 per annum. NOBODY ON THIS FORUM HAS GOTTIN 17% .

Stock is an Investment right? Go and load ur stock account and see exacltly .

Its okay bro. Let's be more civil as gentle men & not throw caution to the wind. You drew first blood by calling me out but now I want to call a truce. You have your own investment plan which works for you, others have thiers.
I just realised I hvnt praticsed what I just learnt in the book "How to influence people & make friends" by Dale carneige
He says "No one ever wins an argument, even if one does win the loser with loathe him & despise his victory"
Let's stick to what works for us. Let's not derail this thread further. Next time we cross path here, we should be discussing on this thread the possible movt of t.bills rates or dropping useful economic news & not attacking each other......Thanks & Goodnight

16 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Etfash(m): 8:23am On Jul 13, 2016
Chukzyfcb:

Its okay bro. Let's be more civil as gentle men & not throw caution to the wind. You drew first blood by calling me out but now I want to call a truce. You have your own investment plan which works for you, others have thiers.
I just realised I hvnt praticsed what I just learnt in the book "How to influence people & make friends" by Dale carneige
He says "No one ever wins an argument, even if one does win the loser with loathe him & despise his victory"
Let's stick to what works for us. Let's not derail this thread further. Next time we cross path here, we should be discussing on this thread the possible movt of t.bills rates or dropping useful economic news & not attacking each other......Thanks & Goodnight

And now bro, you are a darling!

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:35am On Jul 13, 2016
Chukzyfcb:

And that's civil and gentle man like, oga Tritri kindly sheath your sword also. I personally have learnt more things from this sound argument from both sides.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:33pm On Jul 13, 2016
@Chukzyfcb Cheers
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by SuccessGee(m): 2:27pm On Jul 13, 2016
Ryder306:

And that's civil and gentle man like, oga Tritri kindly sheath your sword also. I personally have learnt more things from this sound argument from both sides.

I seems to have learnt more too from their argument. Maybe they should continue.. lol

Dont mind me guys.. grin

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by feelamong(m): 2:38pm On Jul 13, 2016
More arguments like this should be encouraged...

Just like we would like to see more civility... wink

well done guys....learnt a lot from this too

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by exclusiveoloori: 6:30pm On Jul 13, 2016
tinzymoha:
Can you kindly drop your number or email... Am a newbie to this and I really need to talk to someone familiar with TB

You can drop yours, will send you a mail
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by exclusiveoloori: 6:58pm On Jul 13, 2016
Very interesting argument. Abeg who knows what first bank fixed deposit rate is now or the best rate I can get on FD?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chetaraph(m): 9:32pm On Jul 13, 2016
exclusiveoloori:

Boss dis na my email chetaraph007@gmail.com Please contact me. Am also a newbie
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 10:04am On Jul 14, 2016
whyyy.....nah, why did u cal a truce @chukyzfcb......i was learning a lot , so many people need to get the pros and cons for every investment plan.

@tritri....inflation truly determines the true value of money but the change is not always as drastic as we have experienced recently....its usually plus or minus 2-3points ....on a normal day. but with the decline in crude oil prices and some strange govt policies, drastic difference was inevitable.

also price most times is a function of ur bargaining power, location and connection, so what affects mr. A, may not necessarily affect mr.B.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:02pm On Jul 14, 2016
@zamirikpo Though U might be right..Go to kaduna and go price tomatoes maybe u will buy it same price last year.Or ask importers maybe price for TV is by location. when they r all imported into the country Or price for car is by location . There is no place that is cheaper .This thing happening in Nigeria is affecting all. Even did u notice the rate at which jobless people lament this days on nairaland or anywhere..it wasnt like this few years ago.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by unite4real: 3:15pm On Jul 14, 2016
Tritri:
@zamirikpo Though U might be right..Go to kaduna and go price tomatoes maybe u will buy it same price last year.Or ask importers maybe price for TV is by location. when they r all imported into the country Or price for car is by location . There is no place that is cheaper .This thing happening in Nigeria is affecting all. Even did u notice the rate at which jobless people lament this days on nairaland or anywhere..it wasnt like this few years ago.

Cost of living in ibadan is not same as Abuja. There is that location difference factor.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:32pm On Jul 14, 2016
unite4real:

Cost of living in ibadan is not same as Abuja. There is that location difference factor.

Couldn't have said it better.

Was in PHC recently and priced a bunch of banana somewhere around garrison. The seller said it was 500, I priced it at 300. The woman said she won't even sell it for 400.

I replied that size of banana sells for 200 naira in Nsukka, 250 in Enugu and 300 naira in Onitsha.

The woman asked me how much it costs renting a flat in Nsukka, Enugu and Onitsha.

I knew where she was going and thought she had a point.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 9:34pm On Jul 14, 2016
@tritri I get ur point but u could also find old stock.. ...tv sets imported before tHe dollar hike, and with good bargaining power, u could cut a good deal.

My point is ,though inflation has aN effect, It's not so significant as u make it look. Remember d economics of demand and supply, when tomatoes became expensive, we switched to banga stew, fruit/chicken sauce stew to deter us from spending unnecessarily, so as long as we have options, inflation won't be so powerful.

I also noticed that on d streets, it's a different ball game.. .nothing has a fixed price. Believe me.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by sirdwhy: 6:35am On Jul 15, 2016
exclusiveoloori:

Please can you send me a mail too. I am very interested and I am a newbie. Horlahdayor@gmail.com
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by raphealworld: 6:25pm On Jul 15, 2016
I will like to invest in TB and i am a newbie .. Please email me rapheal.world@hotmail.com
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by inze(m): 9:31pm On Jul 15, 2016
unite4real:

rationalmind:

Couldn't have said it better.

Was in PHC recently and priced a bunch of banana somewhere around garrison. The seller said it was 500, I priced it at 300. The woman said she won't even sell it for 400.

I replied that size of banana sells for 200 naira in Nsukka, 250 in Enugu and 300 naira in Onitsha.

The woman asked me how much it costs renting a flat in Nsukka, Enugu and Onitsha.

I knew where she was going and thought she had a point.

. . . there's a difference between 'demand and supply' affecting the price of a commodity and 'location'
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:06am On Jul 16, 2016
Chukzyfcb:

With regards to inflation, real estate is always seen as the best hedge. Because you can always increase your rental fee as things get more expensive but how many people have the cash to build & rent. T bills is also good & even better when you re-invest your interest (compound interest). Which is what I was pointing out. If one will only buy A plot of land & leave it undeveloped so he can use it to hedge against inflation, one who has been re investing his t bills yearly (compound) will catch up & overtake him overtime. Most people don't know the power of compound interest which is my main point
real estate has limit because the tenant ability to pay the increment is also limited hence arbitrary increases to bet inflation can lead to no tenant as all meaning zero income for many year put cost to securing the house ..u might be loosing money several house in Abuja city centre, lekki and apapa infact my neighbors six flats had been empty without tenant for 3 years in lagos despite slashing rent by 40 percent...nb the tenant wages just raise any how its limited

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:18am On Jul 16, 2016
Tritri:
@Chukzyfcb Cheers
all investment have there limitation. Inflation effect t.b sure but landed property also have limitation tooo ..u can buy a land and getting a buyer can be hell after 5 years ...several houses and land have been place for sale for several years yet no buyer come to apapa and see to let and for sale almost 5 year just no buyer ...go to lekki and see too converting land to cash it a problem on it own so if your tactic of beating inflation is investing on land or rents he don't have control of the growth of the Nigeria economy which might decline or move into depression hence the chances of selling your land at higher rate is diminished like wise chance of getting tenate or increasing rent ...several house have been on sale for upward of five years no buyer ...imagine if that money was invested in tb for 5 year...and it might never be sold at your price

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:23am On Jul 16, 2016
have a diversified portfolio ...rents, land tb bonds ,gold. dollar ..stocks cows it either gold is jumping or bond going up or rent increment accepted or land sold at a premium or good returns on stock this way inflation will be beaten 10-0
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Chukzyfcb(m): 1:38am On Jul 16, 2016
Alikote:
real estate has limit because the tenant ability to pay the increment is also limited hence arbitrary increases to bet inflation can lead to no tenant as all meaning zero income for many year put cost to securing the house ..u might be loosing money several house in Abuja city centre, lekki and apapa infact my neighbors six flats had been empty without tenant for 3 years in lagos despite slashing rent by 40 percent...nb the tenant wages just raise any how its limited
Thanks bro for the info shared. There's a building with bout 6flats too along amuwo odofin where I stay, @apple junction to be precise. Its been empty for close to 2yrs now despite the beautiful structure. #point taken to heart

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Rotiix(m): 6:22am On Jul 16, 2016
I am a newbie and I wish to invest in tbills, can someone put me through pls? aderotimionline@yahoo.com

(1) (2) (3) ... (171) (172) (173) (174) (175) (176) (177) ... (2229) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.