Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,690 members, 7,820,403 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:19 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (356) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4446791 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (353) (354) (355) (356) (357) (358) (359) ... (2229) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by punae: 11:35pm On Aug 05, 2017
aceclue:

debited on Thursday evening, though rate not known yet because have not received email

what tenor did you bid for?.....you know also know the state by calculating your initial investment and discount given to you
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by walexlo78: 11:58pm On Aug 05, 2017
Winneygirl, no that's not true. The bank determines their bid rate ahead of the auction, that is the rate they pull investors fund together to also bid on in addition to their own fund as a bank. You can always ask them their intended bid rate when you are dropping your application.

Winneygirl:

Who told you their bid rate before the auction?
You can't know the rate until after the auction.
D only thing you can know ahead is the last auctions rate.
It is only secondary market rate you get to know upfront before the investment.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by walexlo78: 12:01am On Aug 06, 2017
Was this part of the 50ml policy despite the charges that goes into their coffers?

cooldudeng:

I believe they make a "spread" off investors that can't meet the 50 Million primary market limit.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 7:10am On Aug 06, 2017
cooldudeng:

Please, do you have any idea of what their last rates were and how that differs from Stanbic and First bank?

No idea but it close to what FBN offers. Banks, Discount houses and Some stockbrokers are the CBN licenced dealers for treasury bills.

That was why I suggested if banks are proving difficult, one can approach other dealers.

I think the attitudes of the banks as per treasury bills is limited to some branches, major branches and most on Lagos Island don't do such, as a matter of fact it is a normal thing.

My branch of FBN is directly opposite CBN in Marina Lagos
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 7:19am On Aug 06, 2017
wellsaid:

Yeee !! .. thats so sad. "wickedness in high places" as some people would call it. Thank God I asked this question. Please what's the minimum capital for Stanbic and FBN?

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TONY56: 9:29am On Aug 06, 2017
Investnow2017:

Oga Tony, going by the TBills programme for this 3rd quarter, its like there will be no auction for 364days tenor in the next bid.

Please can you take a look at the schedule posted by a folk here and advice please. If true, i might have to settle for the Secondary market at First Bank away from my branch.

If you observed, the guy who posted the schedule himself is not sure. He himself was asking. I think he based his suspicion on the fact that according to his speadsheet, no 364-day tenor will mature on that date but I don't think that's enough (if true) to confirm that CBN won't allow it especially since they need it.

CBN and the posted spread sheet has not indicated that there will be no auction on the next auction date. They know that it's not everyone that is privi to the spread sheet and would spread the news if it's not going to hold. So I advice that you be patient.

Meanwhile, you can find out from your Bank to confirm.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TONY56: 9:51am On Aug 06, 2017
Investnow2017:

Oga Tony, going by the TBills programme for this 3rd quarter, its like there will be no auction for 364days tenor in the next bid.

Please can you take a look at the schedule posted by a folk here and advice please. If true, i might have to settle for the Secondary market at First Bank away from my branch.

If you look at what the posted spread sheet is saying critically (if true and correct), it's simply telling us that CBN is NOT INDEBTED to anyone for 364days tenor that will mature on that date and MAY or MAY NOT offer to sell NTB of that tenor on that day. BUT, CBN needs the money badly and is almost certainly going to offer to sell Treasury Bills on that date.

Note also that the fact that CBN has tenors of 91 & 182 days that will mature on that day DOES NOT MEAN THAT THEY MUST BORROW AGAIN if they have funds to pay for the matured tenors and they don't need to borrow from the public again.

But bet you that they still need to borrow from the public and that's why NTB rate currently is this very high.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TONY56: 10:02am On Aug 06, 2017
Investnow2017:

PLEASE just address me as TONY56 o.

What makes me your "Oga"?
I am not an Oga o.
Three are so many people on this forum that I doff my hat for and respect their intellect on Treasury bills and money matters or instruments generally. So if I qualify as an Oga, then which adjective or what are you going to call them?

Maybe you don't realise that we are all gaining one thing or the other through our interactions on this beautiful and money making Thread.

I BEG O, I BE OMO ISE-(SERVANT) O.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 10:42am On Aug 06, 2017
TONY56:

PLEASE just address me as TONY56 o.

What makes me your "Oga"?
I am not an Oga o.
Three are so many people on this forum that I doff my hat for and respect their intellect on Treasury bills and money matters or instruments generally. So if I qualify as an Oga, then which adjective or what are you going to call them?

Maybe you don't realise that we are all gaining one thing or the other through our interactions on this beautiful and money making Thread.

I BEG O, I BE OMO ISE-(SERVANT) O.

Oga Tony, you be our oga for here. It not easy to be a young at heart retiree.
I hope to join you in the retirees club in 5 years by His grace.

My Oga, e ma bo ore Olorun mo ra.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TONY56: 11:22am On Aug 06, 2017
Investnow2017:

UPDATE ON AVAILABILITY OF 364 DAYS TENOR FOR NEXT TREASURY BILLS AUCTION.

I have researched and found out that when the same scenario happened for the auction of 21st Dec 2016, 364 days tenor was not offered.

It is therefore possible that other tenors except that for 364 days only will be on offer.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TONY56: 11:27am On Aug 06, 2017
emmanuelewumi:

Are you saying that once anyone retires he automatically becomes an "Oga" on this thread even if he is not knowledgeable on the subject matter?

What I understand "Oga" to mean is a Guru and I honestly don't think I am one
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 5:59pm On Aug 06, 2017
There surely won't be any 364-day bills on offer at the next auction. The NTB calendar doesn't just show maturing bills. It also shows new issues the CBN intend making for a given quarter-that what's contained in the roll over section. one would expect things like a nations borrowings to be well scheduled right?

Remember before these huge deficits in the nation's budget, 364-day bills used to be on offer just once a month.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TONY56: 7:15pm On Aug 06, 2017
awesomeJ:
There surely won't be any 364-day bills on offer at the next auction. The NTB calendar doesn't just show maturing bills. It also shows new issues the CBN intend making for a given quarter-that what's contained in the roll over section. one would expect things like a nations borrowings to be well scheduled right?

Remember before these huge deficits in the nation's budget, 364-day bills used to be on offer just once a month

Oh yes. That's quite correct
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by mindtricks: 7:35pm On Aug 06, 2017
emmanuelewumi:

Boss permit me to say you are one amongst the Ogas just like Oga Tony56. You guys are great!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Investnow2017: 8:52pm On Aug 06, 2017
awesomeJ:

Remember before these huge deficits in the nation's budget, 364-day bills used to be on offer just once a month.

AwesomeJ,
You have been missing somewhat. You know as one of the Ogas when we have questions and we did not read from you and other Ogas the house seems to be at a loss somehow. Thanks for your contribution. I want the 364 days tenor, since i can't wait i will have to go for 300days+ tenor this week.

Thank you all.

Just another, who has had the experience of buying Tbills with Discount houses or licensed Brokers? Do they offer competitive discounts like stanbic and first bank?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 10:20pm On Aug 06, 2017
Investnow2017:

AwesomeJ,
You have been missing somewhat. You know as one of the Ogas when we have questions and we did not read from you and other Ogas the house seems to be at a loss somehow. Thanks for your contribution. I want the 364 days tenor, since i can't wait i will have to go for 300days+ tenor this week.

Thank you all.

Just another, who has had the experience of buying Tbills with Discount houses or licensed Brokers? Do they offer competitive discounts like stanbic and first bank?
Thanks for the kind words sir. I'm quite flattered.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by vazsily(m): 3:59am On Aug 07, 2017
Good evening all, just a clarity pls; if a 364 days tenor is say 18% and another for 300 days is also 18%, what is the difference? Or are you still getting the full 18% even for a shorter period?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by mindtricks: 6:10am On Aug 07, 2017
emmanuelewumi:

At First Bank you can only get your proof of investment from the branch where the TB investment was consummated

Boss, experience shows that is not necessarily so, or is that just for primary markets that you mean?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by mindtricks: 6:18am On Aug 07, 2017
vazsily:
Good evening all, just a clarity pls; if a 364 days tenor is say 18% and another for 300 days is also 18%, what is the difference? Or are you still getting the full 18% even for a shorter period?

What you get with 300 days will not be same, but will be value of: "364 - 64" days. That is, you need multiply whatever 364days will give you at that rate, by 300/364.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 6:30am On Aug 07, 2017
mindtricks:

Boss, experience shows that is not necessarily so, or is that just for primary markets that you mean?

You can do your Treasury Bill in any branch of First Bank, and the proof of investment will be on the letter head of the branch where the transaction was done.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by kondoAlata: 6:34am On Aug 07, 2017
emmanuelewumi:

No idea but it close to what FBN offers. Banks, Discount houses and Some stockbrokers are the CBN licenced dealers for treasury bills.

That was why I suggested if banks are proving difficult, one can approach other dealers.

I think the attitudes of the banks as per treasury bills is limited to some branches, major branches and most on Lagos Island don't do such, as a matter of fact it is a normal thing.

My branch of FBN is directly opposite CBN in Marina Lagos

You're very right! That's why I make use of Longterm Global Capital for my TB
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Investnow2017: 8:25am On Aug 07, 2017
kondoAlata:

You're very right! That's why I make use of Longterm Global Capital for my TB

How is the performance of Longterm Global Capital regarding TBills?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Investnow2017: 10:04am On Aug 07, 2017
House, there is, this morning, the following in the Secondary Market at First Bank:

360days @ 18% amount left N216m
339days @ 18.20% amount left N415k
290days @ 18% amount left N4.5m
270days @ 18% amount left N1.8m

Grab, Grab, Grab

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:07am On Aug 07, 2017

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by wellsaid(m): 10:53am On Aug 07, 2017
House is 17% for 360 days secondary market okay...? The amount I want to fix is below 500k.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Investnow2017: 11:13am On Aug 07, 2017
wellsaid:
House is 17% for 360 days secondary market okay...? The amount I want to fix is below 500k.

Its ok. Are you investing interest too?

Although right now as i write i am in first and there 360days @ 18% still available. Up to N100m.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by vazsily(m): 11:17am On Aug 07, 2017
Investnow2017:

Its ok. Are you investing interest too?

Although right now as i write i am in first and there 360days @ 18% still available. Up to N100m.

Kindly which bank?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Investnow2017: 11:21am On Aug 07, 2017
vazsily:

Kindly which bank?

First bank
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by doreesy4k(f): 1:38pm On Aug 07, 2017
Pls when is the next primary bidding
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by AkDave1: 1:44pm On Aug 07, 2017
16/08/2017
doreesy4k:
Pls when is the next primary bidding
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by nonyjay(m): 3:18pm On Aug 07, 2017
I really thank you all for this forum. pls I want to invest in this TB. this is my first timeoo.

I called my bank. they told me it is closed till next 2 weeks. how true is that?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by GodMercy2015: 3:52pm On Aug 07, 2017
Investnow2017:

House, there is, this morning, the following in the Secondary Market at First Bank:

360days @ 18% amount left N216m
339days @ 18.20% amount left N415k
290days @ 18% amount left N4.5m
270days @ 18% amount left N1.8m

Grab, Grab, Grab

Is it possible to invest 500,000 for 30 days and also what will be my interest. Thank you as you respond.

(1) (2) (3) ... (353) (354) (355) (356) (357) (358) (359) ... (2229) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: oluwaseun8(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.