Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,842 members, 7,820,930 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:44 AM

Two Party State Is Best For Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Two Party State Is Best For Nigeria (2852 Views)

Balarabe Musa: APC Will Turn Nigeria Into A One-Party State / JUNE 12: Two-party System Is The Best For Nigeria. Do You Agree? / Two-party Or Multi-party System, Which Way Forward Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Two Party State Is Best For Nigeria by segunjowo(m): 4:02pm On Feb 27, 2012
The number of registered political parties in Nigeria is too much. I fear it is the reason we never have a viable opposition to the ruling party PDP. Does it mean that Nigerian cannot speak with one voice? If other political parties in the country doesn't believe in the ruling PDP as they claim, why can't they come together and form a single opposition party like they have in the USA and Britain? Two party State is best for Nigeria to avoid sectional political party.
I want to believe the ruling party PDP is behind creating more parties(fragment) in Nigeria so they can dominate for a long time to come. The earlier other political parties realize this and form a single opposition party, the better chance they have in ever ruling this country. The house divided against itself shall not stand- so the saying goes. As long as parties keep springing up, there can never be any chance to challenge the PDP.

Two party state is best for Nigeria, as in the second republic!
discuss if you have other opinion or support the fragmented political party system as we have now?
Re: Two Party State Is Best For Nigeria by danjohn: 5:45pm On Feb 27, 2012
I concur
Re: Two Party State Is Best For Nigeria by kokoA(m): 5:49pm On Feb 27, 2012
Yes! Christian Demcratic Party (CDC) and Muslim Brotherhood (MB)!
Re: Two Party State Is Best For Nigeria by danjohn: 11:53pm On Feb 27, 2012
kokoA:

Yes! Christian Demcratic Party (CDC) and Muslim Brotherhood (MB)!

You want to start trouble
Re: Two Party State Is Best For Nigeria by executinal(m): 2:26pm On Feb 28, 2012
Seconded
Re: Two Party State Is Best For Nigeria by highland(m): 2:34pm On Feb 28, 2012
Two party will amount to slavery of expression and godfather ism will be the order of the day.
Re: Two Party State Is Best For Nigeria by kruku: 2:37pm On Feb 28, 2012
I agree to a two party system. NRC & SDP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! shocked kiss cry
Re: Two Party State Is Best For Nigeria by Agimor(m): 3:08pm On Feb 28, 2012
Seconded
Re: Two Party State Is Best For Nigeria by HIROSHI: 3:20pm On Feb 28, 2012
segunjowo:

The number of registered political parties in Nigeria is too much. I fear it is the reason we never have a viable opposition to the ruling party PDP. Does it mean that Nigerian cannot speak with one voice? If other political parties in the country doesn't believe in the ruling PDP as they claim, why can't they come together and form a single opposition party like they have in the USA and Britain? Two party State is best for Nigeria to avoid sectional political party.
I want to believe the ruling party PDP is behind creating more parties(fragment) in Nigeria so they can dominate for a long time to come. The earlier other political parties realize this and form a single opposition party, the better chance they have in ever ruling this country. The house divided against itself shall not stand- so the saying goes. As long as parties keep springing up, there can never be any chance to challenge the PDP.

Two party state is best for Nigeria, as in the second republic!
discuss if you have other opinion or support the fragmented political party system as we have now?

Nigeria's best democratic experience was in the early '90s simply because we had two parties then (SDP and NRC). When the Forth Republic commenced in 1999, we had three parties (PDP, APP and AD). If these three were allowed to stay, they would have become just two parties at the end (as APP and AD were already colaborating), but the opposition led by Chief Gani Fawehinmi went to court and forced INEC to expand the political landscape. They said that Nigeria was becoming a one party state (meaning PDP was taking the lion share). In obedience to court order, INEC opened up the political stage for all comers and made it even more possible that we have a one party state (in 1999 PDP had 21 states, APP 9 and AD 6; in 2007 PDP 28, ANPP 4, AC 1, APGA 1, PPA 2).

This means that the opposition played themselves into the hands of the ruling party. The solution now lies in the implementation of political reforms that would see parties without portfolio being scrapped and the surviving ones merging (like the merger of ACN, ANPP, CPC, PPA and APGA and PDP, LP and ACCORD).
Re: Two Party State Is Best For Nigeria by onyewec3: 3:30pm On Feb 28, 2012
well, maybe at the presicential level, but for governorship and local govt there shuld be more thann two political parties, UP PDP
Re: Two Party State Is Best For Nigeria by dayokanu(m): 6:36pm On Feb 28, 2012
I agree with the two party system
Re: Two Party State Is Best For Nigeria by Nobody: 6:42pm On Feb 28, 2012
IBB got it right when he put up excellent structures of SDP and NRC but a lot of people misinterpreted it for Northern Republic Congress and Southern Democratic Party and not the Social and National as its meant to be.
Re: Two Party State Is Best For Nigeria by saska1122: 12:26am On Feb 29, 2012
What is the ideological differences between all of them? I see no difference!! They all aim at looting!!
How many of the Reps from opposition parties can reject the jumbo pay and 'Ghana must go's'?

1 Like

Re: Two Party State Is Best For Nigeria by sniperwolf(m): 12:41am On Feb 29, 2012
Our political parties are way too numerous reducing it to at most 3 is okay
Re: Two Party State Is Best For Nigeria by Nobody: 2:44am On Feb 29, 2012
GARRISON MENTALITY. HANGOVER OF MILITARY RULE. IT MIGHT TAKE 100 YEARS FOR NIGERIA TO FIGURE OUT WHAT DEMOCRACY IS. BAN THIS BAN THAT. CLEAR THIS CLEAR THAT. ZONE THIS ZONE THAT.
NIGERIA NATION HAS BEEN HIJACKED. AND NOW WE CALL MOB RULE DEMOCRACY.
Re: Two Party State Is Best For Nigeria by Lasinoh: 8:27am On Feb 29, 2012
How will INEC chop some extra money? cheesy
Re: Two Party State Is Best For Nigeria by aliliaquat: 10:36am On Feb 29, 2012
it is good i agree with you, thanks.
Re: Two Party State Is Best For Nigeria by segunjowo(m): 1:15pm On Feb 29, 2012
Lasinoh:

How will INEC chop some extra money? cheesy
I believe that creating fragmented party by INEC has nothing to do with money. It's everything to do with ensuring other opposition to PDP remain fragmented and therefore, the ruling party becomes stronger and stonger.
Political elites better watch it and return to the drawing table: marge!
Re: Two Party State Is Best For Nigeria by tck2000(m): 4:56pm On Nov 17, 2019
x

(1) (Reply)

Commercial Banks In Ogun Close Shop Over Robbery Attacks / Did El-rufai Sacrifice His Daughter To Become The SGF? / Ring Road: Changing The Face Of Ibadan City

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.