Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,575 members, 7,816,418 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:55 AM

Microsoft Vista - A Serious Pain In My Rear - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Microsoft Vista - A Serious Pain In My Rear (863 Views)

BBM For PC Download, Blackberry Messenger For Windows7/8/vista Computer / Windows Vista Tweaks for Optimal System Performance / Why Win 2000, Win Xp or Windows Vista When There's Win 98? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Microsoft Vista - A Serious Pain In My Rear by msanda(m): 7:49pm On Oct 23, 2007
I dunno wot ur experience has been like but i seriously wonder wot dem windows boys had in mind when they were comin up with Vista. They removed all the fun tweaks Xp had, u got to authorise ridiculous things like copying to an external h/disk, and i can't install my favourite games (tombraider, chess, etc)

The only thing I'll give it up to them for is_ windows explorer. it's much more robust, i av to say. but pls! wot are they tryin to do? capture linux users and get rid of windows loyalists? i mean they outrightly copied some stuff from apple and redhat!

Anyways in spite of it all, am annoyingly gettin used to d features in explorer.

how abt u guys?
Re: Microsoft Vista - A Serious Pain In My Rear by nkc(m): 3:03am On Oct 24, 2007
i love vista, but going ubuntu in a few days, i will see how dat goes grin
Re: Microsoft Vista - A Serious Pain In My Rear by darznets(m): 4:51pm On Oct 29, 2007
Msanda,
It depends on the version of Vista you are using. I have Vista Ultimate and its been a great experience.
If you need assistance in getting Vista Ultimate with full activation, send me mail: dazol2@hotmail.com
Re: Microsoft Vista - A Serious Pain In My Rear by Floomer99(m): 5:54am On Nov 04, 2007
Everything you can do with Vista, you can do with XP, which is why I'm downgrading ASAP. Vista does not have all of its bugs worked out--and won't for a very long time. Use XP for now until the bugs are worked out. Better yet go to a non-microsoft OS.
Re: Microsoft Vista - A Serious Pain In My Rear by Bawss1(m): 8:04am On Nov 04, 2007
I wonder which of the Vista packages you guys are using? Most of the bugs people complain about have been corrected.
Re: Microsoft Vista - A Serious Pain In My Rear by msanda(m): 6:57pm On Nov 04, 2007
Floomer99:

, Better yet go to a non-microsoft OS.

It's not that bad. Really, I think Microsoft's best OS so far is still Windows XP Media Edition. However, they outdid themselves with Vista's Windows Explorer. Still, I'd rather have Windows than LINUX or Mac
Re: Microsoft Vista - A Serious Pain In My Rear by Floomer99(m): 7:14pm On Nov 04, 2007
Vista has a lot of good concepts, but until they work the bugs out, it won't be a viable OS.
Re: Microsoft Vista - A Serious Pain In My Rear by socrates08: 10:12am On Nov 05, 2007
I'd rather have Windows than LINUX or Mac
Windows is great for games and HW support. Guessing you're a gamer.

For anything involving that really bad 4 letter word called WORK, MAC is king. Pics, vid editing or anything productive. New MAC OS aka Leopard to be released this month, I think. Ever test drive one of 07 MAC's? Only use XP for gaming now. Very hard to hack into. Safer, Linux like stability, no blue screens, restarts not needed, obeys, fast start up, good performance,encrypted hard drive and just works. First time every time. I will never own another lappy that runs windows! After 18 yrs I'm using a mac again!

Linux is hands down the king of servers for home and small business use. Makes a cheap network PC firewall and/or file server thats very reliable and runs from old used CD/DVD, 256 of mem and VC. Under clock for passive cooling. Will run for a yr w/ no restarts or brain farts. Setup and forget. Thats what I'm talking about!

Now If MS would just fix the 5 copies of XP I paid for! Well, only in my dreams. FYI, XP support will end summer 08. No more updates after that. Are they forcing us to get Vista? Will it ever be fixed? Nope! Be a new $600 windows OS out before they fix half the issues in vista. Why do we need Vista? WE DON'T!!! Software Dev's and HW is far behind. MS need to open its ears to what costumers want and need or it will be there downfall.
Re: Microsoft Vista - A Serious Pain In My Rear by Neoteny(m): 9:56am On Nov 06, 2007
hey! windows xp had the same problems before service pack one, and it still has bugs after so many years and two service packs later which is one reason service pack THREE is on the horizon.
Re: Microsoft Vista - A Serious Pain In My Rear by msanda(m): 10:55pm On Dec 28, 2007
Neoteny:

hey! windows xp had the same problems before service pack one, and it still has bugs after so many years and two service packs later which is one reason service pack THREE is on the horizon.
Been a while but here's a lil' something i thought u'd find interesting:

Missing drivers, draining laptop batteries, poor software compatibility for 64-bit systems, confusing upgrade paths, and perhaps most insulting, poor benchmark tests when compared to XP have all contributed to a year not to remember for Windows Vista.
Aside from the weak response from the public and software reviewers, retailers have revolted as well, with Dell bringing XP back in April and some sellers now packaging XP discs with new Vista laptops. The running joke that Vista Service Pack 1 will simply reinstall Windows XP might not be that far off the mark.

That was from an article on Download.com titled "10 Worst Downloads of 2007"

(1) (Reply)

Come In Here Let Us Solve Free Browsing Problems Drop Your Ideas / Discover Personal Safety On Online Music Downloads. / Can I Get Internet Connection In Ikotun/Ijegin Area

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.