Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,598 members, 7,865,449 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 06:18 PM

James Ibori,individual Punishment Or Justice? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / James Ibori,individual Punishment Or Justice? (3697 Views)

Alamieyeseigha Built Just One House… He Was Never Corrupt~James Ibori / Hurraaaaaaaaaaay!!!! James Ibori Is Coming Back Home Soon! / Ibori, Others To Complete Jail Terms In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

James Ibori,individual Punishment Or Justice? by bilms(m): 12:44pm On Feb 29, 2012
JAMES IBORI,INDIVIDUAL PUNISHMENT OR COLLECTIVE JUSTICE?

James Ibori,The former Governor of Delta State is being prosecuted and we are all celebrating the punishment of the sinner as we all know he his. many people on news papers and social media write all sort of things to quantify this achievement of persecuting this thieve. But i can't but ask,should we be celebrating the punishment of one or the collective justice to all? is Ibori being punished because he stole from our people or because he offended someone? Ibori was a governor since 1999 to 2007,he wasn't the only governor,we had 36 state governors. Is Ibori the only governor that stole from Nigeria? of course not, the 36 state governors stole our money simultaneously,but only one is being punished. Did Ibori stole more money than Bukola Saraki? did he steal more than Fashola,Idris,Oyinlola,Donald duke,orji kalu, and others? Did he steal more money than Obansanjo and the ministers? You would remember the case of obj's theft and the former US vice president Chiney. Is this an individual punishment or collective justice? Ibori did not steal more money than other state thieves and federal looters. Some would say it would be one after the other, but we all know it is one who offended the master. We should not celebrate the punishment of one man but the collective justice to all. Until we learn to do this,Nigeria shall remain a tool.
Re: James Ibori,individual Punishment Or Justice? by kokoA(m): 12:50pm On Feb 29, 2012
The down fall of any kelptomenic lunatic is worth celeberating while we hope that more celebrations will come in future[i]******** pops another champegne while dancing and singing "ibori na theif o, ibori na thief"*********[/i]
Re: James Ibori,individual Punishment Or Justice? by JangoDB: 2:06pm On Feb 29, 2012
If a thief is punished for stealing it is justice period. Offending some people is secondary and the simple question is " did he loot delta state treasury? YES" and again " has he accepted commiting the crime? YES" So where does offending some people come into this? Poster shine ur eyes
Re: James Ibori,individual Punishment Or Justice? by victorazy(m): 2:16pm On Feb 29, 2012
Individual punishment. Evil don't chase away evil.
Re: James Ibori,individual Punishment Or Justice? by Sagamite(m): 2:18pm On Feb 29, 2012
bilms:

James Ibori,The former Governor of Delta State is being prosecuted and we are all celebrating the punishment of the sinner as we all know he his. many people on news papers and social media write all sort of things to quantify this achievement of persecuting this thieve. But i can't but ask,should we be celebrating the punishment of one or the collective justice to all? is Ibori being punished because he stole from our people or because he offended someone? Ibori was a governor since 1999 to 2007,he wasn't the only governor,we had 36 state governors. Is Ibori the only governor that stole from Nigeria? of course not, the 36 state governors stole our money simultaneously,but only one is being punished. Did Ibori stole more money than Bukola Saraki? did he steal more than Fashola,Idris,Oyinlola,Donald duke,orji kalu, and others? Did he steal more money than Obansanjo and the ministers? You would remember the case of obj's theft and the former US vice president Chiney. Is this an individual punishment or collective justice? Ibori did not steal more money than other state thieves and federal looters. Some would say it would be one after the other, but we all know it is one who offended the master. We should not celebrate the punishment of one man but the collective justice to all. Until we learn to do this,Nigeria shall remain a tool.

Are you saying or thinking it is injustice?

What do you understand by the term "Justice"?
Re: James Ibori,individual Punishment Or Justice? by xxttyy: 2:18pm On Feb 29, 2012
Selective justice.
Re: James Ibori,individual Punishment Or Justice? by olawalebabs(m): 2:21pm On Feb 29, 2012
I don't understand what the OP is saying? are u justifying his action simply because others too are thieves?
Re: James Ibori,individual Punishment Or Justice? by mkmyers45(m): 2:22pm On Feb 29, 2012
Scape-Goat Individual Treatment grin grin
Re: James Ibori,individual Punishment Or Justice? by kulutempa: 2:35pm On Feb 29, 2012
I think it's about time Nigerians stopped making silly excuses  for their corrupt politicians and public officers who have been convicted of stealing public funds, and demanding  "national character" in convictions.    I believe the key issue is whether the man is guilty, and that fact that others have not yet been arrested or convicted does not mean the convict should not have been arrested and convicted.  In fact, if the poster has any evidence of such crimes by the politicians whose names he has mentioned, why not send it to the EFCC?    I know there are allegations of selective justice in Nigeria, but you cannot rely on that as the basis for defending corrupt officials.  That does not make them innocent, and you have to start from somewhere.
Re: James Ibori,individual Punishment Or Justice? by Nobody: 2:36pm On Feb 29, 2012
bilms:

Allow someone next time to proof-read before you post.Haba!
Re: James Ibori,individual Punishment Or Justice? by bakila: 2:40pm On Feb 29, 2012
Justice is not one way traffic(that concerns ibro alone. Justice is for the Victim- people of Delta who were loot and nigerians one od whose leaders perpetued looting. The Criminal justice system-that a punishment at conclusion of the case and for the prosecution that a conviction was secured fairly.
Bottomline, it is Justice as Ibori cannot this time around say he is not the one.
Re: James Ibori,individual Punishment Or Justice? by aglomar: 3:22pm On Feb 29, 2012
Nemesis
Re: James Ibori,individual Punishment Or Justice? by OzReal(m): 3:36pm On Feb 29, 2012
Who cares whatever you want to call it? He has pleaded guilty to criminal offences, which he would otherwise have been celebrated for in our own country. angry
Re: James Ibori,individual Punishment Or Justice? by AGBORMAN1(m): 3:42pm On Feb 29, 2012
I'm celebrating his downfall.
Let the fu.ckin bastered rot in prison.
I hope the gay guys in prison mess his ass-hole hard.

He did not develop my state.
Every day for the thief, one day for the owner of the house.
Re: James Ibori,individual Punishment Or Justice? by AGBORMAN1(m): 3:55pm On Feb 29, 2012
I think the "only punishment" to a public servant like ministers, governors,
president in nigeria should be "public HANGING" if found guilty of serious crime.

Starting with Ibori.
Re: James Ibori,individual Punishment Or Justice? by Enice(m): 5:18pm On Feb 29, 2012
this silly post is dead on arrival
Re: James Ibori,individual Punishment Or Justice? by beespak7(m): 5:29pm On Feb 29, 2012
They should hang that mega thief, me i support death sentence for all corrupt govt officials be they governor, minister, legislator, or cabal. While they are busy looting billions of naira and dollars the poor nigerian masses are dying slowly.

This is a golden and pricless justice!!!!
Re: James Ibori,individual Punishment Or Justice? by 1025: 5:37pm On Feb 29, 2012
to me, this is justice but a special nigerian system of justice called SELECTIVE JUSTICE.
if anyone here or there in aso rock will tell us that among ibori's mates in politics, they know anyone that is clean, that one will be a bigger thief than ibori.
they are all thieves even our first lady has her own case of $13m bayelsa money.
this type of justice is more harmful than helpful.
how can among 1 million thieves, nigerians are happy to celebrate the slow pace of just one.
as we speak now, nigeria has more than 5 million known iboris who my able president will call CABALS.
most of them are more powerful than our president and constitution of our jungle.
it is a big shame that we keep making mockery of ourselves.
Re: James Ibori,individual Punishment Or Justice? by Sagamite(m): 5:39pm On Feb 29, 2012
1025:

to me, this is justice but a special nigerian system of justice called SELECTIVE JUSTICE.
if anyone here or there in aso rock will tell us that among ibori's mates in politics, they know anyone that is clean, that one will be a bigger thief than ibori.
they are all thieves even our first lady has her own case of $13m bayelsa money.
this type of justice is more harmful than helpful.
how can among 1 million thieves, nigerians are happy to celebrate the slow pace of just one.

as we speak now, nigeria has more than 5 million known iboris who my able president will call CABALS.
most of them are more powerful than our president and constitution of our jungle.
it is a big shame that we keep making mockery of ourselves.

So you will prefer they celebrate "the slow pace" of none?
Re: James Ibori,individual Punishment Or Justice? by Basics007: 5:44pm On Feb 29, 2012
Individual justice toh badt
Re: James Ibori,individual Punishment Or Justice? by Nobody: 5:51pm On Feb 29, 2012
Ibori made a mistake by leaving Nigeria to a country where he had criminal record. Τ̲̅ђε̲̣̣̣̥ British judicial system Iƨ̣̣̣̇̇̇ up and doing and he played into it. Other politicians haven't been tried like this because they didn't follow Τ̲̅ђε̲̣̣̣̥ path ibori chose. At Τ̲̅ђε̲̣̣̣̥ point he left office, ibori thought himslf a god and he was wiser than everyone. He refused to seek counsel and insulted elders at Τ̲̅ђε̲̣̣̣̥ slightest provocation. He trampled ☺ƞ Τ̲̅ђε̲̣̣̣̥ law at Τ̲̅ђε̲̣̣̣̥ state level and was extending his reach mightily to Τ̲̅ђε̲̣̣̣̥ federal level until it was decided by his party to cut Τ̲̅ђε̲̣̣̣̥ new dictatorial monster that was emerging and strongly had his sight ☺ƞ Τ̲̅ђε̲̣̣̣̥ number one seat. He had to be stopped by any means possible. If ibori wasn't maneuvered into where he Iƨ̣̣̣̇̇̇ today, he definitely would have become president because he would either have bought ø® killed Τ̲̅ђε̲̣̣̣̥ opposition not minding who that person Iƨ̣̣̣̇̇̇.

There Iƨ̣̣̣̇̇̇ № other politician as bold and daring even Τ̲̅ђε̲̣̣̣̥ mighty IBB Iƨ̣̣̣̇̇̇ J̲̣̣̣U̶̲̥̅̊§τ̲̅ a pus sy.
Re: James Ibori,individual Punishment Or Justice? by kkokoma: 7:46pm On Feb 29, 2012
The poster is very very very stupid! Ibori pleaded guilty to stealing billions on Naira after corrupting the judiciary in Nigeria by bribing them blind, and the poster is trying to imply he is not getting justice! He should be hanged for depriving millions of deltans
Re: James Ibori,individual Punishment Or Justice? by Sagamite(m): 7:53pm On Feb 29, 2012
kkokoma:

The poster is very very very silly! Ibori pleaded guilty to stealing billions on Naira after corrupting the judiciary in Nigeria by bribing them blind, and the poster is trying to imply he is not getting justice! He should be hanged for depriving millions of deltans

They need to arrest that Judge Mercel Awokulehin and hang him!

But I would not be surprised if the Silverback Gorilla leading us appoints him to the supreme court.

Jonathan!
Re: James Ibori,individual Punishment Or Justice? by fellabrims: 7:56pm On Feb 29, 2012
There Iƨ̣̣̣̇̇̇ № other politician as bold and daring even Τ̲̅ђε̲̣̣̣̥ mighty IBB Iƨ̣̣̣̇̇̇  J̲̣̣̣U̶̲̥̅̊§τ̲̅ a pus sy.
[/quote]
LMAO. . .yeah right.

bilms:

@ OP, you are just an attention seeker. Why don't you go arrest the names you mentioned here. Did they do international laundering or tif tif. . .Everyone writes JAMB, but he who gets caught with expo= odu is a THIEF.

Never heard the song tapping is a GAME
But when you're caught  its a CRIME. . . this is the case of James Ibori, a one time strong man, but he isnt strong enough now.  . .is he? "Bushmeat don catch the hunter"

Same will happen to OBJ, Babaginda, Tinubu and every other person who steals Naija's money.
Everyday is for the thief, one day is for the owner! grin  

[quote author=Sagamite link=topic=882714.msg10301449#msg10301449 date=1330541606]
They need to arrest that Judge Mercel Awokulehin and hang him!

But I would not be surprised if the Silverback Gorilla leading us appoints him to the supreme court.

Jonathan!

Please tell the daft poster o. . .I dey sure say u no be Delta boy!
Re: James Ibori,individual Punishment Or Justice? by princeparis(m): 8:21pm On Feb 29, 2012
whether selective or individual or automatic, justice na justice angry angry
Re: James Ibori,individual Punishment Or Justice? by tlops(m): 9:22pm On Feb 29, 2012
Justice is being meted out to Ibori and there is no question whether it is selective or not. He made the mistake of escaping Nigeria and moreover the UK judicial system is million fairer than ours. as for the others they do not have known criminal record outside Nigeria and if they do they have learnt to stay within Nigeria where their money can save them.
Re: James Ibori,individual Punishment Or Justice? by jawjaw1: 10:57pm On Feb 29, 2012
bilms:

Please spear me this crap! The man was put on trial in a country that doesn't take kindly to crimes. And he has on his own pleaded guilty and you are here talking about selective justice. If he knew he was innocent or had any chance whatsoever of not being found guilty do you think he would have pleaded guilty?

What even makes it worse is that he is not a first time offender. He has been caught twice in the past in the UK for some small financial crime. Those guys keep records and as you can see it is very important. In the next 100 years they will still have records of Ibori's crimes. How do you think the ordinary hard working Brit feel when some of them cant boast of 10,000 pounds in their accounts after working for over 10 years and a guy they caught stealing money off a credit card some years ago all of a sudden comes around buying houses and all sort of exquisite cars worth millions of pounds. His simple explanation is that he has been a governor in Nigeria for 8 years and on checking his annual salary as governor was not more 25,000 dollars. The prosecutor got it absolutely right by telling Ibori to his face, 'You are a thief in government house'.

I can assure you Ibori will get nothing less than 10 years in jail and he deserves every bit of it.
If I have my way, I will start from the security guys who screened him and cleared him to run for gorvernor. I will try them in court and jail them too if necessary. Then the judge who acquitted him will be next. Then Andoakaa the former minister of justice will follow suit. In my opinion, they all deserve to be hanged.

If it was possible too, I will arrange an Umaru Dikko style transportation of Alamesigha and Dariye to London. Let the British criminal justice system help us do what we cannot do, try and convict these thieves. What has happened to Ibori is God's answer to the prayers of hard working and suffering Delta state indigenes and Nigerians who see these criminals steal from them while they suffer pain and death because they are powerless to do anything.
Please let no one come here and talk about selective justice. Anyone that is caught is good enough for us. As long as he is guilty let them put his ass in jail. We will enjoy seeing him rot there simply because he or she deserves it. Full stop.
Re: James Ibori,individual Punishment Or Justice? by denitro(m): 11:09pm On Feb 29, 2012
Before you count to 10, you must first start by counting 1
Re: James Ibori,individual Punishment Or Justice? by Sinju: 3:32am On Mar 01, 2012
bilms:

Are you saying an armed robber who is caught should not be tried and convicted because 36 other armed robbery suspects where not caught, or have no evidence against them?

I am always amazed at how ignorant Nigerians are about legal matters. I blame this on the fact that most Nigerians who are currently living have never experienced what it is to live under the rule of law.

This is how the law works, you commit a crime---you get confronted with the evidence---you plead or go to trial---you get convicted/sentenced.

"I am not the only one who has committed fraud/money laundering/rape/armed robbery etc," is not a valid legal defense. The only thing it can do is help you in the court of public opinion which is worth nada.

Is Ibori being punished? Of course the answer is yes. He is being punished for his individual crime of breaking the law of the land and that is justice!
Re: James Ibori,individual Punishment Or Justice? by deandavid(m): 6:09am On Mar 01, 2012
@ poster, u r among those celebratin criminals nd coruptn in nigeria, wat sort of qtn r u askin, all those pple u mentnd culd b theives 2,bt were dy caught?(in a place whr d judiciary works nt nigeria), dat theif in govt hux, ws caught, he evn had criminal records b4 nw, so wat d heck r u askin mumu. hang d moda fuckr nd all his supportrs nd sympatizers, all of una go get cancer die. Criminals
Re: James Ibori,individual Punishment Or Justice? by Nobody: 8:15am On Mar 01, 2012
To the author, you may not have phrased or worded your statement correctly, however you are right on point. Yes, this is a selective justice and I will tell you why in a second.  First off, let me say this: After Jonathan has dealt with Ibori, Ibori will be unable to use the restroom. And I can assure you that Ibori will never see the light of tomorrow. Jonathan, particularly, Dame Patience Goodluck, she is the one pushing her husband to deal with Ibori for working with the Yara'Adua cabal.

One golden rule in politics and any one who understands it is: never underrate your fellow politician because you never know what tomorrow might bring. Alamieyeseigha is a living testimony to this.  If any one had told Alamieyeseigha that Jonathan would be the president of Nigeria some day, he would ask you to leave his presence. Keep in mind that Alamieyeseigha warned Ibori when he was doing this that Jonathan will never forgive him for this and he should learn from him for going against Obasanjo.

Now to the nitty gritty: Ibori was among the Yara'Adua's cabal. In fact he was the financier along with Alhaji Mangal to ensure that Jonathan never succeeded Yara'Adua, even if the constitution stipulates that he should. Alhaji Magal was wise, he played the game like a businessman, behind close doors, he was supporting Jonathan and also keep honest face with Turai. He knew once Yara'Adua was dead, power has changed hands and has to align with the prospective leader(Jonathan). Sources have it that Ibori even relocated to Abuja for this. He spent billions to keep Jonathan as acting-president.  Keep in mind that while he was doing this, Jonathan was aware of it. A source at the Villa told me that Jonathan even went as far as calling Ibori to know why he was doing this, guess what? Ibori answered the phone and hung up on him. To cut to the chase, Ibori is finished.
Re: James Ibori,individual Punishment Or Justice? by ChefMike(m): 9:03am On Mar 01, 2012
cheesy cheesy cheesy Let's put sentiment apart and face reality James Ibori is a thief let's treat him as one.If a common man on the street stole something in the public will apply jungle justice but Ibori case is fair enough.Please let's"sleeping dog lie"

(1) (Reply)

President Goodluck Jonathan's New Official Portrait (PHOTO) / Picture Of Patience Jonathan's Graduation Back In The Days - Cramjones / If This Is True Nollywood, I Dont Want To Live In This Country Anymore

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.