Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,225 members, 7,822,154 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:26 AM

Robbers Storm Some Banks At Babcock University, Carted Away Lots of Money - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Robbers Storm Some Banks At Babcock University, Carted Away Lots of Money (8506 Views)

Students Caught In PDA At Babcock University To Be Punished - School Memo / N3million For School Fees At Babcock University: ……study IN Europe With Less!!! / 25-Year-Old Bags Ph.D At Babcock University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Robbers Storm Some Banks At Babcock University, Carted Away Lots of Money by gree212: 8:41pm On Feb 29, 2012
At least seven armed robbers Wednesday afternoon stormed some banks within the premises of Babcock University, Ilishan Remo in Ikenne Local Government Area of Ogun State, southwest Nigeria, and carted away an undisclosed amount of money.

The robbers, P.M.NEWS learnt, went to both Oceanic (now Ecobank) and WEMA bank situated within the campus and shot sporadically to scare people away.

The shooting caused panic among students and other people within the campus.

Our correspondent gathered from an eyewitness that the robbers came with dynamite, rocket launchers and sub-machine guns.

They formed groups and broke into the banking halls to carry out their operation simultaneously.

A staff of one of the affected banks, Oceanic, confirmed the incident to our correspondent on phone, expressing shock at the attack.

“It is an unbelievable experience, I don’t know how the boys came in. They carried big rocket launchers and dynamite. Before anyone knew what was happening, they swooped on us and asked all of us to lie down. One of them even slapped me because I wanted to look at his face. I cannot say the actual amount they carted away, but a rough estimate will be millions of naira,” the staff stated.

When our correspondent contacted one of the staff of the institution, Mr Dotun Oduroye, who heads the Technical Department, he confirmed the attack and stated that no student was hit by stray bullet, contrary to rumours that some students were hit.

According to Oduroye, “the robbers came in about an hour ago and they were with sophisticated weapons like dynamites and rockets. They were shooting in the air and two banks, Oceanic and WEMA banks were attacked. None of the students was hit by the bullet, it was only the shock that gripped many of them. But we thank God that it was just a shock.”

Our correspondent gathered that the robbers escaped through the express road and headed toward Ijebu Ode -Odogbolu route, still shooting as they fled.

Meanwhile, all banks in Ijebu Ode, Ijebu Igbo, Ago Iwoye and some neighboring towns including Sagamu have remained shut since Monday in the aftermath of the attack by armed robbers last week on two banks in Ijebu Imushin and Ijebu Igbo.

During last week’s operation, the robbers raided Sapida Microfinance bank in Ijebu Imushin and WEMA Bank, the only bank that has been operating in Ijebu Igbo in the last one year, and carted away an undisclosed amount of money.

During the Ijebu Imushin raid, two persons were hit by bullets and they were rushed to the General Hospital in Ijebu Ode. One of them later died during the weekend while the other one was reported to have been discharged yesterday.

A police source from Sagamu Divisional Headquarters confirmed the attack to our correspondent and said they are on the trail of the robbers.

As at the time of filing this report, many of the students were seen making frantic efforts to get across to their parents on phone.

They declined to speak with our correspondent.

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2012/02/29/robbers-storm-babcock-university-cart-away-cash/

Re: Robbers Storm Some Banks At Babcock University, Carted Away Lots of Money by Jakumo(m): 8:49pm On Feb 29, 2012
For failing to join other banks who were smart enough to respectfully close shop, those campus banks stayed open to host important visitors, whose objectives were met, therefore the world will turn per schedule, with one sunrise every 24 hours. Thank you.
Re: Robbers Storm Some Banks At Babcock University, Carted Away Lots of Money by emmmyyax(m): 9:02pm On Feb 29, 2012
Re: Robbers Storm Some Banks At Babcock University, Carted Away Lots of Money by Rastamann: 9:38pm On Feb 29, 2012
This is a phucked up country! No infrastructures, (no road, no electricity, no portable water, no access to modern health care), no food for the masses, NO SECURITY, yet we have HIGH CORRUPTION and yet we say we have a government!

Meeeeen, am checking out of this assholed country.
Re: Robbers Storm Some Banks At Babcock University, Carted Away Lots of Money by Nobody: 9:42pm On Feb 29, 2012
wow they robbed my former school who robbed us from unnecessary fees and charges, street justice i guess
Re: Robbers Storm Some Banks At Babcock University, Carted Away Lots of Money by boneruns(m): 9:49pm On Feb 29, 2012
These kind of robbery attacks mostly take place on private Universities. I have never heard of any robbery attack on any federal university. Why is it so?
Re: Robbers Storm Some Banks At Babcock University, Carted Away Lots of Money by Nobody: 9:53pm On Feb 29, 2012
Actually this is the second time it has happened in babcock while i was a student we were also robbed like that we begs to question the security at the front gate they are not equipped to deal with the real menace.
Re: Robbers Storm Some Banks At Babcock University, Carted Away Lots of Money by cinzo: 9:55pm On Feb 29, 2012
This post is gone.
Re: Robbers Storm Some Banks At Babcock University, Carted Away Lots of Money by bakila: 10:00pm On Feb 29, 2012
boneruns:

These kind of robbery attacks mostly take place on private Universities. I have never heard of any robbery attack on any federal university. Why is it so?
It is less populated and not as big. Healthy deposit from wards of the well to do.
Re: Robbers Storm Some Banks At Babcock University, Carted Away Lots of Money by snowdrops(m): 10:03pm On Feb 29, 2012
Problem is robbers and other violent criminals in Nigeria are becoming more daring and sophisticated in their manner of attack while the security services are 40 years behind in tackling these violence and counter-intelligence.

Hence people should pray they never fall victim to these hooligans as no one would likely come to your rescue during the operation, even if it occured in broad day light, in the centre of the city or right next to police headquarters. Imagine robbery with rocket propelled grenades, sub-machine guns and bombs!!!

The other day it was reported that the Nigerian police force has only 4 helicopters. SHM.
Re: Robbers Storm Some Banks At Babcock University, Carted Away Lots of Money by executinal(m): 10:04pm On Feb 29, 2012
gree212:

At least seven armed robbers Wednesday afternoon stormed some banks within the premises of Babcock University, Ilishan Remo in Ikenne Local Government Area of Ogun State, southwest Nigeria, and carted away an undisclosed amount of money.

The robbers, P.M.NEWS learnt, went to both Oceanic (now Ecobank) and WEMA bank situated within the campus and shot sporadically to scare people away.

The shooting caused panic among students and other people within the campus.

Our correspondent gathered from an eyewitness that the robbers came with dynamite, rocket launchers and sub-machine guns.

They formed groups and broke into the banking halls to carry out their operation simultaneously.

A staff of one of the affected banks, Oceanic, confirmed the incident to our correspondent on phone, expressing shock at the attack.

“It is an unbelievable experience, I don’t know how the boys came in. They carried big rocket launchers and dynamite. Before anyone knew what was happening, they swooped on us and asked all of us to lie down. One of them even slapped me because I wanted to look at his face. I cannot say the actual amount they carted away, but a rough estimate will be millions of naira,” the staff stated.

When our correspondent contacted one of the staff of the institution, Mr Dotun Oduroye, who heads the Technical Department, he confirmed the attack and stated that no student was hit by stray bullet, contrary to rumours that some students were hit.

According to Oduroye, “the robbers came in about an hour ago and they were with sophisticated weapons like dynamites and rockets. They were shooting in the air and two banks, Oceanic and WEMA banks were attacked. None of the students was hit by the bullet, it was only the shock that gripped many of them. But we thank God that it was just a shock.”

Our correspondent gathered that the robbers escaped through the express road and headed toward Ijebu Ode -Odogbolu route, still shooting as they fled.

Meanwhile, all banks in Ijebu Ode, Ijebu Igbo, Ago Iwoye and some neighboring towns including Sagamu have remained shut since Monday in the aftermath of the attack by armed robbers last week on two banks in Ijebu Imushin and Ijebu Igbo.

During last week’s operation, the robbers raided Sapida Microfinance bank in Ijebu Imushin and WEMA Bank, the only bank that has been operating in Ijebu Igbo in the last one year, and carted away an undisclosed amount of money.

During the Ijebu Imushin raid, two persons were hit by bullets and they were rushed to the General Hospital in Ijebu Ode. One of them later died during the weekend while the other one was reported to have been discharged yesterday.

A police source from Sagamu Divisional Headquarters confirmed the attack to our correspondent and said they are on the trail of the robbers.

As at the time of filing this report, many of the students were seen making frantic efforts to get across to their parents on phone.

They declined to speak with our correspondent.

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2012/02/29/robbers-storm-babcock-university-cart-away-cash/
Hope the bank officer on duty, will not make use of this opportunity to move out some fund and put the whole story on the armed robbers. But on a serious note, can Nigeria ever be a better nation again?? University for that matter, were they suppose have well equiped security men and not just this old retire men. Why can Nigeria improve their security with CCTV, is it so expensive for FED GOVERNMEnt to emback on this contract?? with the help of CCTV camerals everywere it will help the security men fight this armend robbers. You can never fight armed robbers with just being vigilant never, CCTV cameral is just the solution angry angry
Re: Robbers Storm Some Banks At Babcock University, Carted Away Lots of Money by nagoma(m): 10:09pm On Feb 29, 2012
Robbers , just another wing of the government.
Re: Robbers Storm Some Banks At Babcock University, Carted Away Lots of Money by Yinkay: 10:26pm On Feb 29, 2012
boneruns

Re: Robbers Storm Some Banks At Babcock University, Carted Away Lots of Money
« #5 on: Today at 09:49:13 PM »
Report to moderator   Logged

Why are you reminding them of their oversight?
Re: Robbers Storm Some Banks At Babcock University, Carted Away Lots of Money by Nobody: 10:40pm On Feb 29, 2012
chaiii, is that the same Babcock I've been hearing about? shocked shocked

PS: They should plz put a number amount on "Lots of money" abeg. Abi is it too hard? Whoz really stealing the money?
Re: Robbers Storm Some Banks At Babcock University, Carted Away Lots of Money by LEXYLOV: 10:42pm On Feb 29, 2012
How are they getting those kind of heavy weapon
Re: Robbers Storm Some Banks At Babcock University, Carted Away Lots of Money by sammirano: 10:47pm On Feb 29, 2012
What is the meaning of all this rubbish in ogun state
Re: Robbers Storm Some Banks At Babcock University, Carted Away Lots of Money by Ayatullah(m): 11:18pm On Feb 29, 2012
Are they robbers or hunters looking for cocks to catch at Babcock? Babcock University, what a funny name, why not just name it BABA ALAKUKO University?
Re: Robbers Storm Some Banks At Babcock University, Carted Away Lots of Money by philip0906(m): 11:22pm On Feb 29, 2012
what da f?there is no oceanic bank in Babcock.
boneruns:

my fwend,armed bandits r regular visitors 2 OSU in ogun state.Seems like its an ogun state thing.
@op
it was terrible 2day. . .ran faster than Usain bolt grin
Re: Robbers Storm Some Banks At Babcock University, Carted Away Lots of Money by Otunbakunle: 11:36pm On Feb 29, 2012
Armed robbers today boko haram tomorrow. God go Help this Our Country ooh
Re: Robbers Storm Some Banks At Babcock University, Carted Away Lots of Money by Nobody: 11:47pm On Feb 29, 2012
SaMe here in uniport arnd 7.55pm!!!!well lucky me was in a bar n da bar man ran for his life jst had to walk home wif ma beer for free, hrd a life was lost,
Re: Robbers Storm Some Banks At Babcock University, Carted Away Lots of Money by tpia5: 11:58pm On Feb 29, 2012
the money is probably meant for boko haram.

expect more bombings soon.
Re: Robbers Storm Some Banks At Babcock University, Carted Away Lots of Money by tpia5: 11:59pm On Feb 29, 2012
lord have mercy.
Re: Robbers Storm Some Banks At Babcock University, Carted Away Lots of Money by Pongo(m): 12:29am On Mar 01, 2012
When will all this maddness stop,
Re: Robbers Storm Some Banks At Babcock University, Carted Away Lots of Money by methodman(m): 2:35am On Mar 01, 2012
God have mercy. It was like a narrow escape for me. I went to Babcock twice yesterday hoping to make use of d banks there because d ones in my area (sagamu) had been shut since last week Thursday due to the robbery attacks in Ijebu-igbo and co. Immediately I got back to sagamu, my friend just asked me if I was still in babcock cuz she was in class wen I told her I was around. Later told me armed robbers were in the skol. I thought she was joking not until wen I later saw so many updates on my BBm confirming the incident. I even saw some pix of bullet casing littered around d banking area.

Security in Ogun state is zero, a state of comatose. I was in Ago-iwoye last year too wen dose men of d underworld came to OOU permanent site. Luckily for me again, I wasn't in d banking hall but it wasn't a funny story. They robbed comfortably for over 45 mins and there were no sign of mobile police men.

Pls believe it wenever u read or hear dat they use grenades or machine guns cuz the one I witnessed in Ago-iwoye was like hell. They executed the attack so conveniently like trained military men, even using walking talkie to communicate with one another.

I don't blame the banks if they remain shut indefinitely until proper security measures are put in place.

We the residents of ogun state are to suffer for that cuz we'll need to go to neighbouring states to transact. I just hope the surrounding states esp Oyo state beef up her security cuz from statistics, after they are thru with ogun state, their next point of operation wud be Oyo state.

As for Ogun state, our dear Gov. Amosun is still sleeping. He shud wake up from his slumber and stop all dis jargon of attacking his predecessors work. His state is insecure.

We need security in Ogun state. Enough is enough.
Re: Robbers Storm Some Banks At Babcock University, Carted Away Lots of Money by babaowo: 7:48am On Mar 01, 2012
I thot vigilante in the state used to boast of juju? Lol where are they? Hmmm so sad,
Re: Robbers Storm Some Banks At Babcock University, Carted Away Lots of Money by Nobody: 8:13am On Mar 01, 2012
Police at it again, They robbed be too some days back, i went to the station and saw the person that robbed, how can i report to someone who robbed me? Then i called another police man's attention, and guess what he said, It will be well.
Re: Robbers Storm Some Banks At Babcock University, Carted Away Lots of Money by stepo707: 9:59am On Mar 01, 2012
dadaic:

Police at it again, They robbed be too some days back, i went to the station and saw the person that robbed, how can i report to someone who robbed me? Then i called another police man's attention, and guess what he said, It will be well.
lol grin grin

tpia@:

the money is probably meant for boko haram.

expect more bombings soon.
Probably
Re: Robbers Storm Some Banks At Babcock University, Carted Away Lots of Money by legba1(m): 10:35am On Mar 01, 2012
Persistent robbery incident is gradually making living in ijebu ode a nitemare these days. the banks have refuse to stock their ATM to drive home their points and put more pressure on the ACN
Re: Robbers Storm Some Banks At Babcock University, Carted Away Lots of Money by hbrednic: 11:06am On Mar 01, 2012
babooncock university,what a name
Re: Robbers Storm Some Banks At Babcock University, Carted Away Lots of Money by slex(m): 2:24pm On Mar 01, 2012
my alma meta why now, this is the 2nd time though UBA bank to be precise, happened when i was a student there
Re: Robbers Storm Some Banks At Babcock University, Carted Away Lots of Money by kodewrita(m): 3:44pm On Mar 01, 2012
bakila:

It is less populated and not as big. Healthy deposit from wards of the well to do.

and another usually overlooked reason is that fact that such banks are usually located close to the school entrance so its child's play hitting the bank and racing for the gate. try that in OAU where the banks are 2miles+ from the main gate. plenty of time for boys to block them off or the school security to lock the gates and run into the bush to await police firepower.
Re: Robbers Storm Some Banks At Babcock University, Carted Away Lots of Money by thirdeye(m): 9:34pm On Mar 01, 2012
kodewrita:

and another usually overlooked reason is that fact that such banks are usually located close to the school entrance so its child's play hitting the bank and racing for the gate. try that in OAU where the banks are 2miles+ from the main gate. plenty of time for boys to block them off or the school security to lock the gates and run into the bush to await police firepower.
Do you think robbers in this country are stupid? there are very intelligent ones among them ,may be university graduates even,fallouts of cultism proliferation. They will strike at same time, some will hold the gate and others will be inside the bank and another along the road, I had witnessed something like this before in Ekpoma.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Active Phone Number Database For Nigeria..download Edo State For Free / The Difference Between An Alligator And A Crocodile / 2015/2016 Jamb Medical Aspirants

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.