Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,792 members, 7,820,784 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:30 PM

Prof. Wole Soyinka Describes Ojukwu As His Childhood Friend. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Prof. Wole Soyinka Describes Ojukwu As His Childhood Friend. (8216 Views)

Picture Of Ojukwu As A Boy With His Father In 1937 / Aguyi Ironsi, Ojukwu As Young Soldiers (Throwback Photo) / Throwback Picture Of Ojukwu As A Kid - (pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Prof. Wole Soyinka Describes Ojukwu As His Childhood Friend. by BlackPikiN(m): 5:43am On Mar 02, 2012
Nobel Laurite, Prof. Wole Soyinka also showered praises on the late Ikemba Nnewi whom he described as his childhood friend and urged Nigerians particularly Ndigbo to emulate his leadership qualities.

He stated that Nigeria’s history would not be complete without the role of Ojukwu, saying rather than mourning his exit, Nigerians should celebrate the fact that in his life, bitterness gave way to reconciliation.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/03/ojukwu-jonathan-soyinka-rawlings-anyaoku-others-pay-final-respect/
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Describes Ojukwu As His Childhood Friend. by BlackPikiN(m): 5:47am On Mar 02, 2012
Correct Man.

Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Describes Ojukwu As His Childhood Friend. by alagbatomoye: 6:23am On Mar 02, 2012
^^^ Whether you admit it or not, it is apparent you guys look up to us for validation.

1 Like

Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Describes Ojukwu As His Childhood Friend. by BlackPikiN(m): 6:26am On Mar 02, 2012
Who the heck are you?
So If Soyinka makes a statement, that means it's validation in your eyes. Mumu oshi!
Validation ko, commentary ni!
Go f0rk urself or you risk a lifeban!

1 Like

Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Describes Ojukwu As His Childhood Friend. by alagbatomoye: 7:04am On Mar 02, 2012
BlackPikiN:

Who the heck are you?
So If Soyinka makes a statement, that means it's validation in your eyes. Mumu oshi!
Validation ko, commentary ni!
Go f0rk urself or you risk a lifeban!

If Soyinka makes a statement and some random Ibo posts it on NL, thats looking for validation. D/u/m/b/a/s/s
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Describes Ojukwu As His Childhood Friend. by BlackPikiN(m): 7:08am On Mar 02, 2012
Hahahaha, abajo, you sound so dumb and dry!
I wonder why your psychiatrist stopped your medication!
You need to be chained!
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Describes Ojukwu As His Childhood Friend. by jspac(m): 9:58am On Mar 02, 2012
Ndi mgbu tongue cheesy

1 Like

Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Describes Ojukwu As His Childhood Friend. by nagoma(m): 9:59am On Mar 02, 2012
He is right. The rebel cultist and the rebel war lord. They are the same , we wait for the second friend's funeral.This year we hope.
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Describes Ojukwu As His Childhood Friend. by seenoevil1: 10:10am On Mar 02, 2012
nagoma:

He is right. The cultistthe civil rights icon and the rebel war lordthe revolutionist . They are the same , we wait for the second friend's funeral.This year we hope.

I helped you correct the error you made above . As for waiting for the death of Soyinka , Since you have decided to wish death upon a living person then i would say you stand a better chance of waiting for your own death or that of a loved one . angry angry

1 Like

Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Describes Ojukwu As His Childhood Friend. by ichidodo: 10:39am On Mar 02, 2012
D igbos r not lookin 2 d yorubas 4 validation as regards d GREATNESS of DIM OJUKWU . Wole soyinka jst made his own comments out of his own wealth of knowledge and observations. I guess wole soyinka is d Last Icon of d yorubas cuz d rest of d yoruba r biased, dumb and short-sighted. Ichidodo bu onye igbo.

1 Like

Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Describes Ojukwu As His Childhood Friend. by Nobody: 10:50am On Mar 02, 2012
Having mandated me to proclaim on your behalf, and in your name, that Eastern Nigeria be a sovereign independent Republic, now, therefore I, Lieutenant Colonel Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Oj4kwu, Military Governor of Eastern Nigeria, by virtue of the authority, and pursuant to the principles recited above, do hereby solemnly proclaim that the territory and region known as and called Eastern Nigeria together with her continental shelf and territorial waters, shall, henceforth, be an independent sovereign state of the name and title of The Republic of Biafra.”
MAY 30 1967, RIP OJUKWU, UR DREAM LIVES ON
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Describes Ojukwu As His Childhood Friend. by nku5: 10:54am On Mar 02, 2012
Soyinka is the last real nigerian alive. The rest are sad husks of what might have been

1 Like

Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Describes Ojukwu As His Childhood Friend. by LEXYLOV: 11:02am On Mar 02, 2012
nagoma:

He is right. The rebel cultist and the rebel war lord. They are the same , we wait for the second friend's funeral.This year we hope.
You are a Cretin. An unfortunate dog you are. Your lunatic statement talk all about you. Lack of home training and childhood education is in your DNA test. I wonder which family produce a goat like you. embarassed
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Describes Ojukwu As His Childhood Friend. by guonno: 11:17am On Mar 02, 2012
I RESPECT SOYINKA SO MUCH BECAUSE HE ALWAYS SAYS THE TRUTH. IF AM U YORUBAS ON NAIRALAND, I WOULD RATHER BE THINKING OF HOW TO HELP THE YORUBA NATION THAT THE HAUSA/FULANI PEOPLE ARE DEALING WITH IN THEIR OWN LAND. Am not trying to blow my own trumpet here, ask any hausa/fulani herdsman if there have ever grazed in any igbo mans farm land, and he(hausa/fulani) will tell u he doesnt want to die. Its not only that hausa/fulani herdsmen grazed in ondo's farmland, they went as far as killing the yorubas when there is nothing to feed their cattle with. And yet coward yorubas open their dirty unwashed mouth to say that ojukwu whom waged war on a whole country is coward, they also say that igbos are being killed in the north by haram. Haram has never said they kill igbos, rather they kill christians which 99% of the igbos are fortunately part of, therefore when ever there strike the church, it looks as though they target the igbos, but when the police is hit, they kill more of hausa and edo, so how do u expect the igbos to spring up and fight for what is not directed to them alone? READ BELLOW IF U CARE, TAKE NOTE OF WORDS IN BOLD! , crisis between villagers and herdsmen in Yewa North Local Government Area of Ogun State, , the annual clashes between residents and Hausa/Fulani herdsmen in the area, , following reports that schools in the area “have been deserted by students and teachers for fear of being attacked by the Fulanis.”, , commiserate with the people of the community on the loss of their loved ones and some other properties during the attack, , ” Narrating their ordeal, a retired principal, said a Geography teacher, Akinola and two students were among those killed in the last three weeks, alleging that “women were violated (raped) and killed on their way to the farm.” In his own contribution, Adigun said the Hausa/Fulani cattle men became destructive and aggressive when they saw that there were no crops on the farms for their cows to feed on. He lamented that “they( HAUSA/FULANI) would go into people’s farms, tear down their barns and bring out the stored crops for their cows to feed on. “if any farmer whose crop was being stolen happens to come around, at that time, they would gun him down.” Speaking earlier, Elegbede had charged the villagers, “to be law abiding,
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Describes Ojukwu As His Childhood Friend. by Chinom(m): 11:23am On Mar 02, 2012
alagbatomoye:

^^^ Whether you admit it or not, it is apparent you guys look up to us for validation.

You have a very warped mind. You know it's the other way round with Soyinka. He wanted us all to know that he knew Ojukwu as a child. He is honoured to have Ojukwu as a childhood friend. Something he will boast with. Soyinka is the one seeking validation here. Let's face it, in their childhood days, Ojukwu and Soyinka [b]DID NOT [/b]belong to the same league. Somehow, he got to be Ojukwu's friend. Something he's proud of. There's nothing wrong with that though. What is wrong is the way you misinterpreted it. You really do have a problem man. Which Igboman did you in ?.
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Describes Ojukwu As His Childhood Friend. by Aladinn(m): 11:29am On Mar 02, 2012
nagoma:

It's better you keep your mouth shut and people think you wise, than you open it and remove the doubt.
I wonder what you have as a brain?
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Describes Ojukwu As His Childhood Friend. by tpia5: 11:34am On Mar 02, 2012
Where did they meet?

Did soyinka live in lagos as a child?
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Describes Ojukwu As His Childhood Friend. by seenoevil1: 11:35am On Mar 02, 2012
guonno:

I RESPECT SOYINKA SO MUCH BECAUSE HE ALWAYS SAYS THE TRUTH. IF AM U YORUBAS ON NAIRALAND, I WOULD RATHER BE THINKING OF HOW TO HELP THE YORUBA NATION THAT THE HAUSA/FULANI PEOPLE ARE DEALING WITH IN THEIR OWN LAND. Am not trying to blow my own trumpet here, ask any hausa/fulani herdsman if there have ever grazed in any igbo mans farm land, and he(hausa/fulani) will tell u he doesnt want to die. Its not only that hausa/fulani herdsmen grazed in ondo's farmland, they went as far as killing the yorubas when there is nothing to feed their cattle with. And yet coward yorubas open their dirty unwashed mouth to say that ojukwu whom waged war on a whole country is coward, they also say that igbos are being killed in the north by haram. Haram has never said they kill igbos, rather they kill christians which 99% of the igbos are fortunately part of, therefore when ever there strike the church, it looks as though they target the igbos, but when the police is hit, they kill more of hausa and edo, so how do u expect the igbos to spring up and fight for what is not directed to them alone? READ BELLOW IF U CARE, TAKE NOTE OF WORDS IN BOLD! , crisis between villagers and herdsmen in Yewa North Local Government Area of Ogun State,    , the annual clashes between residents and Hausa/Fulani herdsmen in the area,     , following reports that schools in the area “have been deserted by students and teachers for fear of being attacked by the Fulanis.”,     , commiserate with the people of the community on the loss of their loved ones and some other properties during the attack,        , ” Narrating their ordeal, a retired principal, said a Geography teacher,  Akinola and two students were among those killed in the last three weeks, alleging that “women were violated (violated) and killed on their way to the farm.” In his own contribution, Adigun said the Hausa/Fulani cattle men became destructive and aggressive when they saw that there were no crops on the farms for their cows to feed on. He lamented that “they( HAUSA/FULANI) would go into people’s farms, tear down their barns and bring out the stored crops for their cows to feed on. “if any farmer whose crop was being stolen happens to come around, at that time, they would gun him down.” Speaking earlier, Elegbede had charged the villagers, “to be law abiding,

+∞  = infinity  grin
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Describes Ojukwu As His Childhood Friend. by ochukoccna: 11:39am On Mar 02, 2012
@ post,
Must every troll be replied? shocked shocked shocked
Let not another online tribal war begin
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Describes Ojukwu As His Childhood Friend. by ajanaku2(m): 12:52pm On Mar 02, 2012
nagoma:

Ni Agbara OGUN l'akaye Osinmole. . .May the Deaths of your most beloved Relatives come before Soyinka's, you imprudent, thoughtless Piece of Sh-it!. . .Obo Iya e ma jo na ni (Fire burn your Mama toto)!. . .
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Describes Ojukwu As His Childhood Friend. by ajanaku2(m): 1:07pm On Mar 02, 2012
IGI - IWE, OMOWE, AKOWE, OLUKO. . .PROFESSOR extraordinaire!. . .

. . .The Nobel Prize in Literature 1986 was awarded to Wole Soyinka "who in a wide cultural perspective and with poetic overtones fashions the drama of existence". . .

Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Describes Ojukwu As His Childhood Friend. by pcicero(m): 1:40pm On Mar 02, 2012
Most of us here do not know or have forgotten that Wole Soyinka was incarcerated because of the Civil War. His book 'The Man Died' was about his prison experience during the civil War.

Now, he is trying to associate by describing Ojukwu as his friend abi? Smh
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Describes Ojukwu As His Childhood Friend. by Nobody: 2:05pm On Mar 02, 2012
Why una dey reply that nagoma ragoman? grin. His name says it all!!
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Describes Ojukwu As His Childhood Friend. by nagoma(m): 2:59pm On Mar 02, 2012
I stand by my opinion. I also have the right to make my wishes . Nonsense.
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Describes Ojukwu As His Childhood Friend. by idorenyintim(m): 3:59pm On Mar 02, 2012
Never you condemn other people's taught, because they are just talking, they are not God. For someone to say that the entire world should depend on him/her for validation of such personality, it therefore means that the end time is approaching and as such we should all be alert and be careful against such act. The matter of BOKO HARAM is just a minor case because they do not know the end product of their doings.
The dead of Ojukwu has reveal certain taught of some personalities in our country. BUT WHY ARE WE DOING THESE,WHY
YOU THAT IS SUPPORTING EVIL TAUGHT HAVE YOU OPERATED YOUR STATUS OF UNDERSTANDING THAT YOU WILL BE PUNISH.
NO MATTER WHAT IS GOING ON IN OUR COUNTRY, WE ARE STILL GOING TO MAKE IT IN LIFE, BE IT THAT SOME ARE DYING ON BEHALF OF OTHERS. "BOKO HARAM" DO WHAT YOU IS GOOD (FOR THE BIRDS OF THE AIR SHALL LICK YOUR BLOOD AS IT HAS HAPPENED TO OTHERS, YOU WILL DIE IN AN OPEN GATE SO AS TO TELL THE ENTIRE WORLD THAT YOU ARE ALL FETISH BEINGS).
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Describes Ojukwu As His Childhood Friend. by Nobody: 4:03pm On Mar 02, 2012
I don't understand how Ojukwu suddenly became a Nigerian hero; don't get me wrong, i have nothing against the man or the ideas for which he fought, in fact recent developments proves him a farsighted visionary; but if my memory does not deceive me, my primary school history informs me that Ojukwu led the breakaway Biafra region of Nigeria during the Nigerian Civil war, he therefore stands as a secessionist symbol for the Balkanization of Nigeria, a treasonable felon and a rebel against the cause for unity. The best i would have expected from a Nigerian Government is the total disregard of the death of a National villain, the Igbos might be excused if they chose to celebrate him considering the circumstances and the residual sentiments, but i'm aghast at our wantom display of sycophancy, this further re-enforces my belief that there is no hope for our national development and the retro-evolution of the black race is all but guaranteed; because when a people chose the path of deliberate falsehood and and self deceit, there is nowhere to go but down, the chimpanzees and Gorillas will welcome us back to their fold, shame on all sycophants! (shakes his head)
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Describes Ojukwu As His Childhood Friend. by oduasolja: 5:00pm On Mar 02, 2012
ifeanyiobi:

Having mandated me to proclaim on your behalf, and in your name, that Eastern Nigeria be a sovereign independent Republic, now, therefore I, Lieutenant Colonel Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Oj4kwu, Military Governor of Eastern Nigeria, by virtue of the authority, and pursuant to the principles recited above, do hereby solemnly proclaim that the territory and region known as and called Eastern Nigeria together with her continental shelf and territorial waters, shall, henceforth, be an independent sovereign state of the name and title of The Republic of Biafra.”
MAY 30 1967, RIP OJUKWU, UR DREAM LIVES ON

lies lies lies .

nah who give am mandate.

why did ijaw fight against biafra.
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Describes Ojukwu As His Childhood Friend. by juman(m): 8:15pm On Mar 02, 2012
Hmmmm
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Describes Ojukwu As His Childhood Friend. by Obiagu1(m): 8:37pm On Mar 02, 2012
The last Yoruba man standing.
Sad but true.
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Describes Ojukwu As His Childhood Friend. by Genius100: 8:47pm On Mar 02, 2012
Reading this thread, it's obvious why Nigeria is in the pitiable situation it is. This thread is proof positive that Nigerians are amongst the group of people with the lowest IQ on this planet. Just look at the quality of the discussion. It's like these idiots are trying to show who is the most ignorant. Nigeria won't make any appreciable progress in a long time, that's for sure,
Re: Prof. Wole Soyinka Describes Ojukwu As His Childhood Friend. by tpia5: 9:00pm On Mar 02, 2012
i just went through the wiki pages of soyinka and ojukwu, and there's no record of them meeting before 1967 when he visited ojukwu to discuss the war.

soyinka schooled in abeokuta while ojukwu spent his early years in lagos, and was sent to england at age 13 [in 1946].

ojukwu returned to nigeria in 1956 [age 23], while soyinka moved to england in 1954 [age 20].

did they meet in england or before then?

i guess there's something i'm missing.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Suntai To Arrive Jalingo, Taraba Today / Breaking News: Buhari In Early Lead In Northern States / Ogun Group Petitions IGP On Release Of Vehicles Seized From Amosun's Supporters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.