Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,688 members, 7,854,967 topics. Date: Sunday, 09 June 2024 at 10:50 AM

Orji Sacks 17 Chairmen Over Security Lapses - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Orji Sacks 17 Chairmen Over Security Lapses (461 Views)

Police To Take Over Security In North-east From Military:ig / Saraki Announces Names Of Chairmen Of Committees..see List / 2015: Mark Lobbies State PDP Chairmen Over Consensus Govs. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Orji Sacks 17 Chairmen Over Security Lapses by Abagworo(m): 10:34pm On Mar 04, 2012
Umuahia – Gov. Theodore Orji of Abia has sacked the Transition Committee Chairmen of the 17 Local Government councils of the state over alleged insensitivity to security matters.

A statement signed by Mr Ugochukwu Emezue, the Chief Press Secretary to the governor, said the sack was with immediate effect.

The statement, made available to newsmen on Sunday in Umuahia, directed the affected chairmen to hand over government’s property in their possession to the most senior official next to them on Monday, March 5, 2012.

It attributed their abrupt removal from office to their inability to handle grassroots matters that could hamper security.

The removal of the chairmen sworn in December 2011, might not be unconnected with their failure to mobilise the right people for the Feb. 28 state funeral for late Ikemba Nnewi, Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu in Aba.

It was reported that sections of the crowd that attended the ceremony at Enyimba Sports Stadium, had booed at Orji while paying tribute to the departed Igbo Leader.

The governor, distracted by the noise from the booing crowd, was reported to have said:“This was the way you people behaved during my campaign here and afterwards I still won my opponents overwhelmingly in Aba.’’

An indication that some people might pay for the insult emerged on March 1, when the state House of Assembly summoned the 17 chairmen and the Local Organising Committee members of the Ojukwu burial ceremony to appear before it on March 6.

Reaction of the assembly on the abrupt removal of the chairmen, Mr Ogbonna Ogugua, the Deputy Director, Infrormation and Protocol, Abia State Assembly, said that the 17 chairmen were still expected to appear before the assembly.

He said that the assembly had not issued any other statement to to the contrary.

Meanwhile, students of Abia State University, Uturu, have been warned against involving themselves in any form of demonstration on Monday, March 5.

A statement signed by Mr Don Ubani, the state Commissioner for Information and Strategies, noted that the attention of government had been drawn to plans by some students to demonstrate in the university.

The university authorities recently deployed armed military men in the institution due to fears that the students might revolt due to a hike increase in their fees. (NAN)

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/03/orji-sacks-17-chairmen-over-security-lapses/
Re: Orji Sacks 17 Chairmen Over Security Lapses by Abagworo(m): 10:37pm On Mar 04, 2012
I'm happy Abia seems to be on the path of emancipation. Orji may not complete his tenure.

(1) (Reply)

Oyo State Govt. Donated #6mn To 210 Flood Affected Families / GEJ Assures Nigerians Of Safety, Investigation, Etc. As Usual. / I Need To Be Enlightened

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.