Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,209 members, 7,822,079 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:52 AM

Tribal Difference - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Tribal Difference (1418 Views)

Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage / Culture Or Cruelty? Do We Still Need Tribal Marks?(pics) / Tribal Marks Across Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Tribal Difference by Ideraolu: 9:53am On Mar 07, 2012
Have you weighed the merit and Cons of tribalism to the world we are in today especially Nigeria?

Let's consider a country like Holland and others that have just only one tribe, The Government revenue and welfare are share equally between the provinces,regions or states because they speak only one language and no tribal differences.

Tribalism, to my understanding hasn't done enough for Nigeria and Africa as a whole, i.e:

Hausas will not wage war againts themselves but Yorubas or Igbos and vice versa.

Igbos will not want to share ideas that will bless someone of a different tribe but co Igbos.

Yorubas will always want to consider his co Yoruba above other tribe even if they don't merit it.

Tribal sentiment have to be addressed so that we can leave a good legacy to the new generation and make the world a better place for our children to leave in.

Many thanks.
Re: Tribal Difference by Ptolomeus(m): 6:28pm On Mar 07, 2012
First, let me say that I am a foreigner, and give my opinion as such.
It is not my intention to offend anyone at all, but I just try to provide an opinion on this interesting subject.
I understand that Africa pays tribute to the ongoing European intervention, the war that, using some ethnic groups against one another, or (this is one of the most serious reasons) that separated groups treated with the same result by blending with other quite different (discussed Berlin) produced what is now Africa.
I think very valid claims of different ethnic groups, as were stripped absolutely everything.
I also believe (as you very well said) that at some level, for the benefit of all should be abandoned certain rivalries.
But which comes first?
Here in America, the result of colonialism has not been as bad as in Africa, but also separate people with the same past, to meet the needs of Europeans.
I understand that the first steps is BUILD OWN IDENTITY.
If at first do not understand our roots, we can hardly understand other groups!
First find out who we are, then struggles to understand our tribal past and reconcile with our brothers and history.
The big question is: "Are you Yoruba (Hausa, etc.) or Nigerian"? "are you Nigerian or African"?
In that order.
But I repeat, in my humble opinion the first thing you should keep in mind is our identity and our past, then yes, consider us as a whole and bring about "union"
I hope nobody is offended, it s just my opinion.
I congratulate you on the thread ,  is particularly interesting and would be very positive input from other colleagues!
Re: Tribal Difference by Ideraolu: 8:59pm On Mar 07, 2012
Ptolomeus:

First, let me say that I am a foreigner, and give my opinion as such.
It is not my intention to offend anyone at all, but I just try to provide an opinion on this interesting subject.
I understand that Africa pays tribute to the ongoing European intervention, the war that, using some ethnic groups against one another, or (this is one of the most serious reasons) that separated groups treated with the same result by blending with other quite different (discussed Berlin) produced what is now Africa.
I think very valid claims of different ethnic groups, as were stripped absolutely everything.
I also believe (as you very well said) that at some level, for the benefit of all should be abandoned certain rivalries.
But which comes first?
Here in America, the result of colonialism has not been as bad as in Africa, but also separate people with the same past, to meet the needs of Europeans.
I understand that the first steps is BUILD OWN IDENTITY.
If at first do not understand our roots, we can hardly understand other groups!
First find out who we are, then struggles to understand our tribal past and reconcile with our brothers and history.
The big question is: "Are you Yoruba (Hausa, etc.) or Nigerian"? "are you Nigerian or African"?
In that order.
But I repeat, in my humble opinion the first thing you should keep in mind is our identity and our past, then yes, consider us as a whole and bring about "union"
I hope nobody is offended, it s just my opinion.
I congratulate you on the thread ,  is particularly interesting and would be very positive input from other colleagues!

A good rationale from the informed.

(1) (Reply)

Little Boy Mysteriously Grows Giant Hands (Viewers Discretion Advised) / 10 Reasons Why Marijuana (weed, Igbo, India Hemp) Should Be Legal / DNA Evidence Proves That Black Africans Were China's First Inhabitants

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.