Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,829 members, 7,817,423 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:00 PM

Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic (9285 Views)

Unpatriotic Nature Of Nairaland So Called Opposition Crew / Northern Elders Amnesty Call For Boko Haram: Unpatriotic, Insane And Insulting / Spreading Rumors That Our President Is Dead Is Unpatriotic And Ungodly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by clemog: 9:40am On Mar 09, 2012
Nayal you are right but there's this saying that "charity begins at home" do you really think within Nigeria that we are being honest to ourselves? So tell me what are we then preaching to our fellow being that travel out of Nigeria?
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by Nayah(f): 9:58am On Mar 09, 2012
Clemog, the perfect Nation doesn' t exist but education is universal, I mean when you say you're mature and adult you do know what's good what's wrong, you have to be able to think before making your choice and assume!! The problem is that some people do not assume and when things turn to be bad they put the blame on others, this is too easy, Nigerian who do illegal things have to assume when we catch them and think that while they're busy to dump, people are tarnishing their names

What Gooluck and Co have to do with uneducation my dear?
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by alpattini(m): 10:43am On Mar 09, 2012
It is simple, our leaders are not patriotic, corruption has eaten deep and survival of the fittest is the order of the day in Nigeria. Until we have a good government that protect and cares for his citizenry, Patriotism of this nation will be far from us. Funny enough, we ague and defend countries that care and protect her citizens. (e.g. "Na lie, America can go to war to any country of the world that mal-treat or took the life of her citizen") but we hope that we'll get there just one day!
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by Jemibee: 11:36am On Mar 09, 2012
When our country starts doing thgs for us, noone will teach us to be patriotic. Others are because they are satisfied with the little their gvmt offers them
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by BlackBaron: 11:47am On Mar 09, 2012
How can one be with the bunch of[b] Pseudo-Patriots[/b] in power.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by juman(m): 12:03pm On Mar 09, 2012
Patrotic to what?

To empty air??

There must be a system to protect and improve.

In nigeria there is no system.

Break up is the solution.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by juman(m): 12:08pm On Mar 09, 2012
Dede1:

There are certain qualities of a country that inculcate patriotism on its citizenry. In all manners of thoughts, Nigeria does not possess such qualities and even the national anthem, which is very noisy, can not make me to standup when played at certain ceremonies. In fact, the best I had wished for Nigeria is disintegration.       

Exactly
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by tpcom1(m): 12:09pm On Mar 09, 2012
I think the poster of this thread is rather evil to ask Nigerians to be patriotic. Only a wicked and obnoxious mind will ask nigerians to be patriotic based on what we have been facing for the past several decades.
Patriotism simpley means devotion and devotion means worship.  if we put the two words into context it means we worship or submit in totality to a cause/religion/country/relationship we believe in and also receive solace or comfort from it.

According to Abraham Maslow's heirachy of needs, we humans fundamental needs which makes us complete and function well and fit in where ever we are.  Now please tell me which needs our country has provided or even provided an enabling environment for us to thrive in.

We provide our own electricity majority of the time, we provide our own water, our own security, so what exactly do we have to "DEVOTE" ourselves to.  A country where you will be hunted and killed for talking about the ills of the govt,  or killed for contesting for a post where you have genuine interest in building your country, a country where absolute power reamins in the hands of those who have criminal and evil intentions for the collective resources of the country for their own selfish intension, in nigeria, greed is the order of the day and evil reigns and walks in the corridor of power. innocent lives are taken away with with so much impunity and disdain for the common man is openly exhibited.

My friends, nigerians are indeed patriotic to one another because ordinary citizens are the ones keeping the country alive.  were we unpatriotic, half of the country would have taken up arms and anarchy would have broken out.  We are trying our best to keep it together and we look our for our neighbours, IMO given the cards we have been dealt by our evil and corrupt leader, i'd say nigerians home and abroad are patriotic.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by God2man(m): 3:37pm On Mar 09, 2012
We keep reading negative stories about our country everyday. We are too pessimistic, we do not care for our fatherland. We have failed to realize that we are rooted in nigeria, it is our foundation. It will be nice if we can focus on the good things Nigerians are doing.
Let me give you an example, there is a man in Lagos, as i am writing now, this man still lives in Lagos, he purchased some buses to transport school children free of charge, without collecting money from those kids, this man is passionate about this country, he wants things to change. There are other things this man is doing to help his community.
Some posters here said they have been attacked one way or the other when they came to Nigeria, my question is, what did you do to assist your immediate member of your family? I believe that in this world whatever you sow you shall reap. If you do good to that helpless member of your family, he will be the one that God will use to protect you in the day of trouble, but if somebody approached you for help and you feel unconcern, you may be digging your own grave.
Attitude is everything. Be nice. A little drop of water make a mighty ocean. One good turns here and there will eventually spread to the whole nation. The reverse is the case, an evil deed here and there will become a big dragon that will be difficult to kill.
So, it begins with you and me. When we start something and we believe in ourselves that things will change for the better. It will defnitely change, but if we keep on castigating our leaders without doing anything to assist them, then we are heading for destruction.
@poster,violence breeds violence. It is not the best option. Yes, people will die, what about innocent children, they will die too, so, what is the point? The best thing to do is look out for those small but great things we can do to help our country. There are many things we can do, we can write books, we can form an organization, we can be the best in our profession and be an example to others, we can give to needy, we can sponsor indigent student, we can open a secondary school, we can create a leadership school to teach people about leadership and so on.
Although one sinner destroys so many things, but we can still be the person Nigerians are looking forward to see in a new Nigeria to come.
God bless you. God2man.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by oraclefemi(m): 3:48pm On Mar 09, 2012
listen , phuck Nigeria, 2003 during may june exams nlc went on strike and i had to trek from ajegunle ikorodu to akoka to write exams because there was no movement, the exams werent cancelled and buses werent moving so guess what?  i trekked from home to school and even though private cars were moving , no one picked us up, we were in school uniforms oo , we even took our shirts off to flag down cars and yet no one stopped to help, i got to school and couldnt even write a thing, i never checked the result to date because i knew i already failed and the exams were for a week or so ask , ask anyone who wrote neco 2003 , NIGERIA is my country because i was born here besides that i owe no responsibility to it because it has never cared for me , i care for myself, i will never pay tax in dis damn country, listen to the news every evening if there is no news about one person stealing millions and billions then the day isnt complete, they dont give a damn about us , so patriot my butty ! occupy nigeria was a waste of time , i didnt even bother myself protesting because i knew somehow money will change hands and the efforts will be wasted, so is this the kind of country worth dying for? hell no !!!!! i will leave this God forsaken crap, get my family to join me and then raise my own family in a better country where security is good and the police responds in 2minutes , until then patriotism can rot in hell, and to those of you writing shyte saying change this and change that , its because youre comfortable, just go to the street and ask for their views !!!
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by Nayah(f): 4:07pm On Mar 09, 2012
oraclefemi:

listen , phuck Nigeria, 2003 during may june exams nlc went on strike and i had to trek from ajegunle ikorodu to akoka to write exams because there was no movement, the exams werent cancelled and buses werent moving so guess what? i trekked from home to school and even though private cars were moving , no one picked us up, we were in school uniforms oo , we even took our shirts off to flag down cars and yet no one stopped to help, i got to school and couldnt even write a thing, i never checked the result to date because i knew i already failed and the exams were for a week or so ask , ask anyone who wrote neco 2003 , NIGERIA is my country because i was born here besides that i owe no responsibility to it because it has never cared for me , i care for myself, i will never pay tax in dis damn country, listen to the news every evening if there is no news about one person stealing millions and billions then the day isnt complete, they dont give a damn about us , so patriot my butty ! occupy nigeria was a waste of time , i didnt even bother myself protesting because i knew somehow money will change hands and the efforts will be wasted, so is this the kind of country worth dying for? hell no !!!!! i will leave this God forsaken crap, get my family to join me and then raise my own family in a better country where security is good and the police responds in 2minutes , until then patriotism can rot in hell, and to those of you writing shyte saying change this and change that , its because youre comfortable, just go to the street and ask for their views !!!
Wowo this is a bit harsh, but I don't know your situation but I only want to say that if you (all Nigerians) give up who's gonna fight for Nigeria? Just need to work hard on improving some aspect, the everything will be better:
@ OP Pride is important but realism is better
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by oraclefemi(m): 4:13pm On Mar 09, 2012
Nayah are you in Nigeria right now? your answer will either gain or lose my respect
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by Rossikk(m): 6:39pm On Mar 10, 2012
Boyoorisha said

Our leaders does not encourage patrotism!

THAT'S A TERRIBLE EXCUSE. You should love your country. Are your leaders your country?
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by Rossikk(m): 6:46pm On Mar 10, 2012
afam4eva said

You can't do anything for a country that doesn't need your help. You can only function in a sane country. How can you help a country that cannot guarantee you electricity

India and Brazil also have power outages till tomorrow. But their nationals are nowhere near as unpatriotic as you.

good roads

Very few countries on earth are blessed with uniformly 'good roads'. Most countries are still developing/perfecting their road networks.

a crime free society

No single country on earth provides this.

and other very basic social amenities.

Such as??

While a lot of people are yet to be covered sufficiently, you do realise that majority of Nigerias DO have access to clean drinking water, clothes, shoes, food, clinics and schools. Or else YOU wouldn't be here, typing on the web. Was it not Nigeria that  created the wealth and education for you to do that?

The sad thing is that it is people like you who have benefited the most from Nigeria that are the most unpatriotic and ready to run down the country at each opportunity. Shameful.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by pappykay360: 1:16pm On Jun 09, 2013
embarassed undecidedPatriotism my foot! Who wants to make the changes when the whole system has been bastardized with corruption! Try it and risk u life! Speaking as if u re not a nigerian
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by tck2000(m): 9:20pm On Jun 05, 2019
Sw

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Tanker Explodes In Benin On Boxing Day , 13 Vehicles Burnt / Lagos Court Frees Babalakin Over N4.7bn Fraud / Fire At Sokoto Central Market: Tambuwal Sets Up Committee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.