Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,718 members, 7,820,501 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:01 PM

Nigeria's Senators Receive N1.3billion New Cars - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria's Senators Receive N1.3billion New Cars (17861 Views)

Osinbajo And Malami In Turf War Over $1.3billion Malabu Scam - Premium Times / Nigeria Senators Squabble Over Call For Saraki’s Resignation / Senators Receive Saudi Arabia Delegates At The National Assembly.. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria's Senators Receive N1.3billion New Cars by Nobody: 3:14pm On Mar 09, 2012
Nigerian senators have, in the past few days, furtively taken delivery of ownership documents for the latest Toyota Land Cruiser Prados worth at least N1.2 billion, in a new purchase that has lifted the senate’s renowned lavish automobile spending to a new high.

The deal is said to have been executed by the National Assembly Service Commission, the statutory contract arm of the lawmaking body. It is not certain how much the transaction was worth on paper, but confirmations from Toyota showed the cars sell for $68,920, about N11.027 million per unit.

For 109 senators, the total cost stands at N1.201 billion. The profit margin, according to dealers, should be about $7400 (about N1.2million) each. The total cost is expected to be N1.33billion.

Taken alone, the figure can build a number of standard schools and hospitals, and help initiate key programs that can tackle unemployment and health challenges such as Lassa Fever and polio. Still, more than triple that sum will most likely be incurred by the House of Representatives for the acquisition of exotic cars for its members.

For years, both chambers have allocated huge sums for automobiles and office furnishings, in addition to huge illegal allowances and homes.

In the last legislative session, the senators purchased Toyota Camry at a unit cost of N9 million, while the House members bought Peugeot cars for huge sums for legislators coming already with fleets of cars. The cars are usually sold for pittance to lawmakers at the end of their tenures.

After similar expenditures in the past sparked fierce condemnations from Nigerians, most of whom lived on less than a dollar per day, the lawmakers realised they needed to be extremely careful in the way their acquire and take possession of their new cars.

So the contract deal, wrapped in utmost secrecy in the first place, had to be delivered in stealth, our sources say.

Several batches of 2012 Toyota prado SUVs, jumbled with a large number of imported government transport scheme buses, have in the past days, running into weeks, been delivered through a dealer at Gimbiya Street, Garki, Abuja.

Each Senator is now proud owner of the latest Prado Jeep

As the consignments arrive in relatively fewer numbers, the lawmakers take delivery of them, while those yet to be served await further shipments. The automobiles are then re-coloured in random shades, both efforts deliberately aimed at minimizing public attention on the cars when used by the lawmakers, the sources said.

On Thursday, when Premium Times visited the company supplying the cars, a few number of cars remained with the buses, while a larger number were sighted at the senate car park later that afternoon.

Officially, senators have refused to comment on the purchase. The spokesperson, Enyinnya Abaribe, did not respond to repeated telephone calls seeking his comments for this story.

But unofficially, the lawmakers have claimed the purchases are meant for committee operations, the same reason cited for acquiring exotic automobiles in the past.

Some government officials however told Premium Times that the acquisition of the cars was a violation of the monetisation policy of the federal government.

Under the policy, no new vehicles should be purchased by any agencies of government for use by officials.

Rather public officers and political office holders are to receive 350 per cent of their annual basic salary as motor vehicle loan payable in six years at an interest rate of four per cent.

Our sources at the National Assembly said the Senators got these loans before also proceeding to acquire the Prados in violation of established regulations.

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/4148-senators_receive_n1_3billion_new_cars.html

Re: Nigeria's Senators Receive N1.3billion New Cars by okosodo: 4:58pm On Mar 09, 2012
After much talking it is still getting worse. Something should be done
Re: Nigeria's Senators Receive N1.3billion New Cars by Nobody: 5:31pm On Mar 09, 2012
Land Cruiser Prado jeeps for "committee work". Then they'll tell us we're broke. Issokay. . .
Re: Nigeria's Senators Receive N1.3billion New Cars by Arosa(m): 5:41pm On Mar 09, 2012
how can we the common man stop these thievish behavior of our senators? *crying as I read this post*
Re: Nigeria's Senators Receive N1.3billion New Cars by okosodo: 5:43pm On Mar 09, 2012
They should be using golf or jetta
Re: Nigeria's Senators Receive N1.3billion New Cars by Beaf: 5:46pm On Mar 09, 2012
The members of the NASS add zero value to Nigeria. angry angry angry
Its all about awarding themselves billions for doing phuckall. The whole country is a scam where everyone looks only at the FG, while all other arms operate in the equivalent to armed robbery or 419. 90% of Senators, Reps, Govs, LG chairmen all do phuckall, their posts might as well not exist and nobody will notice.

#Occupy should have been about things like this, instead of wasting emotions on the subsidy.
Re: Nigeria's Senators Receive N1.3billion New Cars by Arosa(m): 5:53pm On Mar 09, 2012
okosodo:

They should be using golf or jetta

You are very generous, i was thinking in line of bicycle or okada.   undecided
Re: Nigeria's Senators Receive N1.3billion New Cars by kunlekunle: 6:05pm On Mar 09, 2012
Buhari wept
Re: Nigeria's Senators Receive N1.3billion New Cars by vanstanzy(m): 6:15pm On Mar 09, 2012
Arosa:

how can we the common man stop these thievish behavior of our senators? *crying as I read this post*

@Arosa
Guy u r not the only one crying.
Nigerians should be asking why this curse has come upon us.
THIS IS TOO MUCH! (Trembling with rage)
Re: Nigeria's Senators Receive N1.3billion New Cars by LEXYLOV: 6:17pm On Mar 09, 2012
Upon all the Billions of Naira stolen on a daily basis ? Retardeen still think about blessed them even more. Oh my God !!! What a country and is senseless looters called leaders shocked shocked shocked
Re: Nigeria's Senators Receive N1.3billion New Cars by vanstanzy(m): 6:21pm On Mar 09, 2012
But come to think of it, what evil did we (Nigerian masses) ever do to this senators/ reps.?
Men, i have said enough. GOD ITS OVER TO YOU! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Nigeria's Senators Receive N1.3billion New Cars by 3direct: 6:22pm On Mar 09, 2012
Politicians again. They promise to build bridges even when there are no rivers

Re: Nigeria's Senators Receive N1.3billion New Cars by Nobody: 6:25pm On Mar 09, 2012
I hope they continue to r a pe Nigeria forever, at least all we can do is come on Nairaland to complain! These corrupt Mongrels have already figured it out!
Re: Nigeria's Senators Receive N1.3billion New Cars by kaiter: 6:27pm On Mar 09, 2012
The members of the NASS add zero value to Nigeria.[img]http://www.demama.info/g.php[/img]
Re: Nigeria's Senators Receive N1.3billion New Cars by jidewin(m): 6:32pm On Mar 09, 2012
This is amongst the reason why i have stopped praying for Nigerian leaders.I love my country yes,but majority of the leaders, EISH, Na we dey FAST and PRAY na dem dem dey SPEND the PAY. angry
This is among many reason why militancy,insurgency and kidnapping will not stop in this country.
Re: Nigeria's Senators Receive N1.3billion New Cars by markovnikoff001(m): 6:34pm On Mar 09, 2012
And to think some morons here were faulting the Occupy Nigeria movement. One thing is very clear: these half-educated, disillusioned, corpulent and arrogant buffons who legislate for this country do not give a rat's a.s.s about Nigerians! Until we stand for ourselves and take things by force, absolutely nothing will happen. Oh! I forgot I am still talking to Nigerians here; we'll just have to wait until next elections. And then the cycle repeats itself again. Sad, sad country.
Re: Nigeria's Senators Receive N1.3billion New Cars by dustydee: 6:34pm On Mar 09, 2012
And the west keeps giving us AID because they think we don't have money. They should know better. Polio has not been wiped out of Nigeria because we keep getting AID to wipe out polio, if it is wiped out where will the aid come from?
Re: Nigeria's Senators Receive N1.3billion New Cars by Demdem(m): 6:36pm On Mar 09, 2012
This is terrible. Both the NASS and executive are gradually killing us. Like the NASS, also the ministers, special advisers, assistant to special advisers etc will av their automobiles. Above all, the retardeen will be ordering for new set of bullet proof cars before the end of the yr for the presidency as if na beetle dem dey ride presently. Bad government, useless leader.
Re: Nigeria's Senators Receive N1.3billion New Cars by okosodo: 6:37pm On Mar 09, 2012
Our mumo don do
Re: Nigeria's Senators Receive N1.3billion New Cars by cuteonyii(m): 6:39pm On Mar 09, 2012
Chai!! is a pity my fellow country men,  when will this devilish spirit come out of Nigerian politians? how long shall we dwell with this disease that is eating our nation up!!!, shame to GEJ, shame to NLC. shame to all of us for all we could do is only shout shout and shout then go to bed and sleep it off,
time for REVOLUTION IS NOW!!!
Re: Nigeria's Senators Receive N1.3billion New Cars by lekzwyc(m): 6:39pm On Mar 09, 2012
During election time, people will queue under †ђξ sun to elect this bastard I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊​. Someone is saying Nigeria will be great one day, I dnt think so.
Re: Nigeria's Senators Receive N1.3billion New Cars by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 6:40pm On Mar 09, 2012
All we do is talk and talk and talk and talk about it - who is thinking of the most practical ways of effectively reducing the problem - when you sit to discuss means of doing so, you hear nairalanders calling for more dialogue (more talk) we have been talking for more than 50 years -is it not time to do something rather than talk
Re: Nigeria's Senators Receive N1.3billion New Cars by chux76(m): 6:42pm On Mar 09, 2012
my GOD!!!! I Feel like spraying all of them with sulphuric acid, amidst all the sufferings,agonies in the Land,they still acquire posh toys, na subsidy moni dey talk so oh!!!

GOD HELP US!!!! WHEN WILL THIS RUBBISH STOP??

I KEEP TELLING PEOPLE,MOST OF THE DECISION MAKING LEADERS IN NIGERIA ARE NOT HUMANS BUT DEMONS IN FLESH, WHO CAN DOUBT IT NOW
Re: Nigeria's Senators Receive N1.3billion New Cars by nasty45(m): 6:45pm On Mar 09, 2012
As i read ds news,headache just de catch me.i don tire to de read naija news.na so so badt news,lil wonder small countries look down on us
Re: Nigeria's Senators Receive N1.3billion New Cars by OzReal(m): 6:49pm On Mar 09, 2012
vanstanzy:

But come to think of it, what evil did we (Nigerian masses) ever do to this senators/ reps.?
Men, i have said enough. [b]GOD ITS OVER TO YOU
! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed [/b]

My brother, God is not going to do anything so please stop using God's name in vain angry We have been weeping, wailing, and praying to God for most of our lives yet nothing positive has happened; in fact, things are going form worse to worstest(if that is even a word grin). These hegemonic barons will continue to plunder the treasury with reckless abandon  angry angry angry. It is so painful to watch these criminals continue this way without consequences. sad sad I would have said only a revolution would change this scenario, but that line is getting really old knowing ourselves(Nigerians), and knowing that it can never happen. In fact, it is physically and mentally exhausting to keep complaining(I don tire to dey vex sef, but the thing dey vex me gannnnnnnnnnnn angry angry angry angry angry angry angry.Make I go drink beer jare sad sad)
Re: Nigeria's Senators Receive N1.3billion New Cars by zinosleek(m): 6:50pm On Mar 09, 2012
This democracy is costing us too much. And to think these pple are d ones probing subsidy and pension mismanagement. I see no hope.
And before we start saying PDP, what abt d oda parties members there,they also aCcepted d gift too, abi. Demonstration of craze.
Re: Nigeria's Senators Receive N1.3billion New Cars by cuteonyii(m): 6:50pm On Mar 09, 2012
The sins our politicians commit  is worst than that of Boko Haram,  I wish the BK will make politicians their target. Then i will donate money to them,
Re: Nigeria's Senators Receive N1.3billion New Cars by Arosa(m): 6:52pm On Mar 09, 2012
The funny part of it all is that they don't even hide it anymore. they flaunt it on our face. (private jets, suv, private boats, )
Re: Nigeria's Senators Receive N1.3billion New Cars by Afam4eva(m): 6:53pm On Mar 09, 2012
And someone is asking us to be patriotic.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-889484.0.html
Re: Nigeria's Senators Receive N1.3billion New Cars by andyanders: 6:56pm On Mar 09, 2012
These men should be wasted. Period.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Buhari, Not Party, To Determine Osinbajo’s Fate, Says APC / ADC To Tinubu: FG, Jakande, Johnson & Marwa Built Lagos, Not You / Sokoto: APC Holds Governorship Campaign Rally In Tambuwal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.