Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,213 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:30 AM

Nigeria Senators Squabble Over Call For Saraki’s Resignation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Senators Squabble Over Call For Saraki’s Resignation (27195 Views)

Types Of Nigeria Senators / Protesters Sleep On The Road To Demand Saraki's Resignation / Those Calling For Saraki’s Resignation Are Myopic, Ignorant – APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Senators Squabble Over Call For Saraki’s Resignation by robosky02(m): 4:38pm On Feb 07, 2016
A lawmaker has asked the Senate President, Bukola Saraki, to resign while he faces his corruption trial at the Code of Conduct Tribunal, CCT.

Kabiru Marafa, a leader of the Unity Forum, a caucus of All Progressives Congress, APC, senators opposed to the emergence of Mr. Saraki as the Senate President, stated this on Saturday night in a telephone interview with PREMIUM TIMES.

The caucus, which Mr. Marafa has emerged as its most outspoken member, also includes Suleiman Hunkunyi and Ahmed Lawan ,who was favoured by the party to become the Senate President.

Mr. Marafa’s statement, Saturday night, follows the Supreme Court ruling that upheld the trial of Mr. Saraki at the Code of Conduct Tribunal CCT.

The apex court on Friday dismissed Mr. Saraki’s appeal against the competence and constitution of the CCT to try him for a 13-count charge of false asset declaration.

Mr. Saraki, who was being tried at the CCT by the federal government, had asked to Supreme Court to halt the trial.

Although Mr. Marafa noted that Mr. Saraki had the right to be presumed innocent until proven otherwise; yet, he said “before he is disgraced out” he should “honourably” resign to save the image of the National Assembly and salvage national pride.

“The Senate should have understanding with Senator Saraki,” Mr. Marafa said. “What’s happening at the Code of Conduct Tribunal has nothing to do with the Unity Forum; it’s between him and the State. And country’s law says he’s presumed innocent until proven to otherwise.”

However, he observed that the issue has reached “a critical stage” where Mr. Saraki’s corruption trial had questioned the Senate’s credibility and Nigeria’s pride.

“By reason of omission or commission, Saraki has pushed himself to a position of disadvantage. By moving from one court to the other up to the Supreme and got himself knocked out, what it portrays is that the Senate under Senator Saraki is fast losing credibility.

“The most honourable thing for Saraki is to resign and face his prosecution. If he wins, the seat is always there and he can be re-elected again if those that supported him truly believe he is the best person for the position. And if not, he will remain a senator like he was in the 7th Assembly. Is it a must that he become Senate President?”

Shortly after the Supreme Court judgement, Mr. Saraki announced his disappointment with the ruling.

Against this background, Mr. Marafa condemned the Senate President whom he accused of having no respect for the apex court as the chief lawmaker of the country.

Mr. Marafa (APC-Zamfara State), was also questioned on his statement that “Saraki should go before he’s disgraced out”, and asked if there were moves by his caucus to remove the senate president.

“I am sure you know there’s something called national pride?” he said in response. “How do you feel to see your number 3 man being docked for corruption charges,”

“He has done a lot of damage to the Senate from the forgery of Senate rules to the illegal composition of the committees.

“The Senate should lead by example. Nobody has the right to increase number of the committees. But Saraki just woke up one day to increase them to 65 to satisfy those that made him.

“When I raised it, he said he noted it. We are still noting it till today. The committees are illegal.”

When his reaction was sought, Mr. Saraki’s media assistant, Bankole Omishore, said questions should be directed to the Like Minds caucus, a pro-Saraki group of lawmakers.

In his reaction, Dino Melaye (APC-Kogi State), who speaks for Like Minds caucus, attacked Mr. Marafa and said there was no case for resignation.

“Marafa is a clown and perhaps lives on cheap drugs,” he said.

“The case at the CCT is not about Saraki; rather, it’s about the Senate. And we will not fold our arms to mess up with the Senate.

“The Senate is stable and Saraki has the support of most of the Senators

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/198109-nigeria-senators-squabble-call-sarakis-resignation.html

3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Senators Squabble Over Call For Saraki’s Resignation by Trailblazer1(m): 4:40pm On Feb 07, 2016
I repeat:

APC don't need an opposition, cos they are already opposing themselves

And guess what!

They do it better grin grin grin grin grin grin

106 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Senators Squabble Over Call For Saraki’s Resignation by dokiOloye(m): 4:42pm On Feb 07, 2016
Saraki is going nowhere
Zombies,better stick that up ya empty heads.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Senators Squabble Over Call For Saraki’s Resignation by doyinisaac(m): 4:42pm On Feb 07, 2016
First of all tell the two posters above me that crying too much is not good for the health..

secondly The word "resignation" to Saraki sounds like telling him to push a mountain...the guy know dey hear word...grin

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Senators Squabble Over Call For Saraki’s Resignation by doyinisaac(m): 4:43pm On Feb 07, 2016
dokiOloye:
Saraki is going nowhere
Zombies,better stick that up ya empty heads.
Dem dey call animals wey get horn even snail sef dey show face...how your own take be??....grin

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Senators Squabble Over Call For Saraki’s Resignation by TonyeBarcanista(m): 4:46pm On Feb 07, 2016
Saraki should quit or be disgraced

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Senators Squabble Over Call For Saraki’s Resignation by Trailblazer1(m): 4:47pm On Feb 07, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
Saraki should quit or be disgraced

Have you pronounced him guilty already?

Nairaland judge undecided

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Senators Squabble Over Call For Saraki’s Resignation by kunlexy1759(m): 4:49pm On Feb 07, 2016
Dino Melaye has no point. Its nt about senate but Saraki and Saraki alone.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Senators Squabble Over Call For Saraki’s Resignation by doyinisaac(m): 4:52pm On Feb 07, 2016
Trailblazer1:

Have you pronounced him guilty already?

Nairaland judge undecided
But if the thread was about amaechi you will condemn him and call him names even when the court have not pronounced him guilty too....hypocrites everywhere...

54 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Senators Squabble Over Call For Saraki’s Resignation by modath(f): 4:55pm On Feb 07, 2016
There is nothing in this life & the next that will make Saraki willingly relinquish that seat, that is the zenith of his political career... only conviction or impeachment, chikena.

He wants to be called "president", since that will remain in his dream, he will settle for the next best thing which is "senate president" ...

President na President!!

11 Likes

Re: Nigeria Senators Squabble Over Call For Saraki’s Resignation by Trailblazer1(m): 4:57pm On Feb 07, 2016
doyinisaac:
But if the thread was about amaechi you will condemn him and call him names even when the court have not pronounced him guilty too....hypocrites everywhere...

Stop stalking me before I give it to you as e dey hot

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Senators Squabble Over Call For Saraki’s Resignation by dokiOloye(m): 4:59pm On Feb 07, 2016
doyinisaac:
Dem dey call animals wey get horn even snail sef dey show face...how your own take be??....grin
sorry to ask,but,U be zombie true true?
Cos this Ur reaction gives U out as one.

11 Likes

Re: Nigeria Senators Squabble Over Call For Saraki’s Resignation by Sall(m): 5:01pm On Feb 07, 2016
Why is it so hard to give up the senate president position already. What is it with Africans and must die there mentality despite the oppositions.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Senators Squabble Over Call For Saraki’s Resignation by kingofchess(m): 5:01pm On Feb 07, 2016
saraki ain't going nowhere

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Senators Squabble Over Call For Saraki’s Resignation by doyinisaac(m): 5:01pm On Feb 07, 2016
dokiOloye:
sorry to ask,but,U be zombie true true?
Cos this Ur reaction gives U out as one.
I react that way when I discover that someone is thinking with his anus..grin

15 Likes

Re: Nigeria Senators Squabble Over Call For Saraki’s Resignation by Kaymercury(m): 5:07pm On Feb 07, 2016
This Saraki Of A Guy Is As Obstinate As A Goat.Why Cant He Willingly Vacate D Sp Seat And Have Peace Of Mind?Criminal Leading D Senate What A Shame.Pls Tell Dasuki I Dnt Mind His Cake Ooo,300m Is Enough.I Dnt Mind Appearing In Court.Make I Have My Share Of N'cake Oo,yeye People

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Senators Squabble Over Call For Saraki’s Resignation by Ama80(f): 5:10pm On Feb 07, 2016
doyinisaac:
First of all tell the two posters above me that crying too much is not good for the health..

secondly The word "resignation" to Saraki sounds like telling him to push a mountain...the guy know dey hear word...grin
there is nothing wrong with crying.As a matter of fact,it relieves d soul of agony.Agony such as Unemployment and Nig's dwindling economy.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Senators Squabble Over Call For Saraki’s Resignation by doyinisaac(m): 5:13pm On Feb 07, 2016
Ama80:
there is nothing with crying.As a matter of fact,it relieves d soul of agony.Agony such as Unemployment and Nig's dwindling economy.
That is if the person crying is not a hypocrite who did not cry all this while even when he/she saw how the country is getting ruined under his paymaster....

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Senators Squabble Over Call For Saraki’s Resignation by Nobody: 5:17pm On Feb 07, 2016
Saraki should remain there

Tinubu faction of APC should fking shurrup and go to court for redress.

9 Likes

Re: Nigeria Senators Squabble Over Call For Saraki’s Resignation by emamos: 5:43pm On Feb 07, 2016
doyinisaac:
finishing

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Senators Squabble Over Call For Saraki’s Resignation by GodpunishBuhari: 5:45pm On Feb 07, 2016
Trailblazer1:
I repeat:

And guess what!

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Senators Squabble Over Call For Saraki’s Resignation by emamos: 5:46pm On Feb 07, 2016
doyinisaac:
Re: Nigeria Senators Squabble Over Call For Saraki’s Resignation by dokiOloye(m): 5:48pm On Feb 07, 2016
doyinisaac:
U sound very pained and frustrated.
Either U visit a shrink or U look for a rope and hang Urself,over and out.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Senators Squabble Over Call For Saraki’s Resignation by emamos: 5:52pm On Feb 07, 2016
doyinisaac:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Senators Squabble Over Call For Saraki’s Resignation by doyinisaac(m): 5:54pm On Feb 07, 2016
dokiOloye:
U sound very pained and frustrated.
Either U visit a shrink or U look for a rope and hang Urself,over and out.
cry me a river...

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Senators Squabble Over Call For Saraki’s Resignation by emamos: 5:55pm On Feb 07, 2016
Lalasticlala,gud evening

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Senators Squabble Over Call For Saraki’s Resignation by robosky02(m): 6:22pm On Feb 07, 2016
emamos:
Lalasticlala,gud evening

seriously lalasticlala we need you here oh
Re: Nigeria Senators Squabble Over Call For Saraki’s Resignation by Nobody: 6:25pm On Feb 07, 2016
APC Senators are clowns and live on Cheap drugs. Dino Melaye

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Senators Squabble Over Call For Saraki’s Resignation by Nobody: 6:26pm On Feb 07, 2016
Trailblazer1:
I repeat:

And guess what!

Can you kindly help me by listing the type of cheap drugs APC Senators consume?

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria Senators Squabble Over Call For Saraki’s Resignation by LionInZion: 6:39pm On Feb 07, 2016
For now Saraki has d right to remain the SP, though morally he should resign, but a typical Nigerian politician doesnt give a damn about morals. But one thing is certain if he is proven guilty and finally convicted, he would have no choice than to let go. And to those crying witch hunting, the question is are all he's accused of false? Besides, why should it be our problem if politicians witch hunt themselves? Arent we (masses) going to be the beneficiaries? I will be glad if Buhari can ''witch hunt'' Tinubu, Fashola, OBJ, etc sometime later (not likely though) If a govt probes its predecessor and the trend continues, it wil reduce corruption in our public offices. Let Buhari continue probing and next govt after him come and probe him thoroughly. We are on the path of accountability. STOP SUPPORTING POLITICIANS, RATHER SUPPORT NIGERIA.

42 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Senators Squabble Over Call For Saraki’s Resignation by Businessideas: 7:31pm On Feb 07, 2016
Some people learn hard facts of life very late in life. The process of achieving anything in life is as important as the outcome.
Kogi judicial verdict is loading. ........

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lawyers Speak On Legality Of Saraki’s Defection / Okorocha Calls For Creation Of Happiness Ministry To Tackle Suicide / Muhammad Tanko All Smiles After Confirmation As Chief Justice Of Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.