Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,440 members, 7,819,622 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:20 PM

Uk Deports 120 Nigerians Over Immigration Offences - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Uk Deports 120 Nigerians Over Immigration Offences (11208 Views)

The Nigeria Immigration Deports 6 British Citizens / Sudan Deports 26 Nigerians Over Ebola Fears / Uk Deports 61 Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Uk Deports 120 Nigerians Over Immigration Offences by supereagle(m): 4:53am On Mar 10, 2012
The British government yesterday deported about 120 Nigerians from the United Kingdom over alleged immigration offences, including lack of valid papers and stay permit among others.

The deportees were said to have arrived at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, MMIA, Lagos aboard a chartered cargo aircraft in the early hours of yesterday to aviod undue attention.

According to a source whic pleaded anonymity, the deportees were mainly young men and women who were angry for being repatriated to Nigeria unprepared.

Saturday Vanguard gathered that most of the deportees wore woe-be-gone looks on arrival made frantic telephone calls, apparently to their friends and relatives with a view to picking them up at the airport, even as they moved their luggage packed in some Ghana Must Go bags from the cargo wing of the airport into the main gate.

Scores of airport workers stopped by to discuss with the deportees, as some of them narrated their experiences, saying they had nothing to fall back on in a country they left several years ago.

One of the deportees, Mr. Wale, blamed Nigerian government for his predicament as well as his other colleagues, stressing that if the country’s economic situation were pleasant, Nigerians would not have any business traveling abroad to humiliate themselves in a bid to survive.

Wale said : “ How do I cope now that we have been sent home unprepared?”

Another deportee, a young lady said, “ I am not interested in discussing why we were brought back home, but my problem now is how to get out of this international airport without drawing unusual attention. I must add that it is not a pleasant experience.”

However, some car hire operators tried to make brisk business from the deportees as they lined up at the main entrance of the cargo terminal trying to ferry those willing to their respective destinations amid tight security.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/03/uk-deports-120-nigerians-over-immigration-offences/
Re: Uk Deports 120 Nigerians Over Immigration Offences by Ryabcool(m): 5:13am On Mar 10, 2012
Ha! Lmaooooooo! We must not take this easy oo! We must deport all the britons via danfo and molue! Their high commisioner will be sent back home via brt! Lwkm! Mschew! Britain i hail una jare. Keep disgracing us till we're too angry at the situation in this country and we're forced to stand up, fight for our rights thereby make a change in this country.
Re: Uk Deports 120 Nigerians Over Immigration Offences by cashmentor(m): 6:26am On Mar 10, 2012
Hope Nigeria is not expecting an Apology O! Coz Britain's just trying to Show, who's the Boss!
Re: Uk Deports 120 Nigerians Over Immigration Offences by queensmith: 9:51am On Mar 10, 2012
if this is true then the Brits really need to work on these knee jerk reactions to thing, David cameron has a habit of not thinking things through. The man is actually a bit of a slowpoke if i'm to be blunt.

The whole kidnapping situation has really dissapointed me- not for nigeria (they are used to it) but for britain, when did we grow a habit of dealing with crisis situations all guns blazing? This coalition government seems to be turning us into a nation of trigger happy thugs its sickening!
Re: Uk Deports 120 Nigerians Over Immigration Offences by Funkymallam(m): 9:57am On Mar 10, 2012
Trust nairalanders to compare this case to d SA deportation ish.

This guys were deported cus they were illegal immigrants with no valid papers or stay permits. This deportation is right and normal.

The SA issue was about a mere yellow fever card, wc if u cant accept the one they brought, u quarantine them at the airport b4 they enter ur country, they were no illegal immigrants, they v got their valid papers!
Re: Uk Deports 120 Nigerians Over Immigration Offences by Nobody: 10:01am On Mar 10, 2012
I'm sure most of them are nlers.
Re: Uk Deports 120 Nigerians Over Immigration Offences by room702(m): 10:12am On Mar 10, 2012
Funkymallam:

Trust nairalanders to compare this case to d SA deportation ish.

This guys were deported cus they were illegal immigrants with no valid papers or stay permits. This deportation is right and normal.

The SA issue was about a mere yellow fever card, wc if u cant accept the one they brought, u quarantine them at the airport b4 they enter ur country, they were no illegal immigrants, they v got their valid papers!
i was gonna say this. then again, the british govt might be retaliating because of the hostage rescue situation that went all wrong.
Re: Uk Deports 120 Nigerians Over Immigration Offences by Nobody: 10:14am On Mar 10, 2012
DOES THIS MARK THE BEGINNING OF ANOTHER DIPLOMATIC ROW.
Re: Uk Deports 120 Nigerians Over Immigration Offences by Dipwater(m): 10:17am On Mar 10, 2012
@papatosibe u must be an idiot guy if I see u pesonally I fit slap u I have told nl b4 dat it has nothng to do wit tribe. Why are guys like dis instead of trashing tha real issue yall buzy dising tribe u shuld be ashamed of urself
Re: Uk Deports 120 Nigerians Over Immigration Offences by tigerleggs(m): 10:17am On Mar 10, 2012
Welcome home my brothers and sisters.
Re: Uk Deports 120 Nigerians Over Immigration Offences by Sunofgod(m): 10:21am On Mar 10, 2012
. . . . Brits need to get into the habit of notifying landlords about deprtations of their tenants.

To go 2/3 months not knowing whats happended to your tenant aint fair - To employ private detectives to find out aint cheap - And then you still need to go through the courts to get possesion of your property back.

When you do find out they've been deported you dont know what to do with the persons personal belongings.

To store someones belongings costs money - and to dispose of them never feels right as you know some things have sentimental value.

They are becoming more efficient and ruthless when deporting people - they can pick you up and within 3/4 days your back in naija.
Re: Uk Deports 120 Nigerians Over Immigration Offences by justwise(m): 10:22am On Mar 10, 2012
@papatosibe

No silly tribal comment in Travel Section, you can do that in any other section, not here.

Your post is gone by the way.
Re: Uk Deports 120 Nigerians Over Immigration Offences by emron1(m): 10:27am On Mar 10, 2012
i will always tell nigerians, it is not all rosey on the other side don't give up,i still work and live in naija.like i always say beter to reign in hell than to be slave in heaven.
Re: Uk Deports 120 Nigerians Over Immigration Offences by EdwinOse: 10:31am On Mar 10, 2012
I really think we should constructive in our criticisms and modestly develop the habit of being able to place issues in their proper perspectives. The deportation of Nigerians by the British government is not in anyway the same with what happend in SA. The British government deported them because the had no papers. To that extent, they were illegal immigrants.The issue of expecting appology, therefore, does not arise here!
Re: Uk Deports 120 Nigerians Over Immigration Offences by tigerleggs(m): 10:40am On Mar 10, 2012
justwise:

@papatosibe

No silly tribal comment in Travel Section, you can do that in any other section, not here.

Your post is gone by the way.
Thanks for deleting those posts. I'm just trying to delete them in my brain
Re: Uk Deports 120 Nigerians Over Immigration Offences by Nobody: 10:48am On Mar 10, 2012
~Bluetooth:

I'm sure most of them are nlers.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin Ure not serious
Re: Uk Deports 120 Nigerians Over Immigration Offences by SamMilla1(m): 11:05am On Mar 10, 2012
Lets wait and see what the hypos at NASS will do about this. I am sure some goats will begin to defend Britain and i hope the same people defended South Africa a few days ago.
Re: Uk Deports 120 Nigerians Over Immigration Offences by zinosleek(m): 11:08am On Mar 10, 2012
I LIVE ABROAD is so big a deal in Nigeria,pple ll do anything even to d extent of obtaining illegal documents to go abroad, and most end up becoming a nuisance to d society hence their deportation.
Re: Uk Deports 120 Nigerians Over Immigration Offences by executinal(m): 12:35pm On Mar 10, 2012
Naija government make our environment very condusive for us, all this insult will stop. Naija people are hard working people, but due to lack of job and desperation to travel abroad always make some end up trying by all means to sulvive angry
Re: Uk Deports 120 Nigerians Over Immigration Offences by member479760: 12:50pm On Mar 10, 2012
That is the reason when one is there either legal or not, any money one is making don't waste it, buy land for Naija, build houses. once you have house in naija half of the problem is solve. even if no one deport you, your retirement also no go easy most specially in the Yankee.
Re: Uk Deports 120 Nigerians Over Immigration Offences by ismhab(m): 12:57pm On Mar 10, 2012
General Goodluck it is high time to deport their own citizen back to UK, let us bring them to their knees like the way we did to SA.
Re: Uk Deports 120 Nigerians Over Immigration Offences by Redman44(m): 1:43pm On Mar 10, 2012
Where do these people want to start from? I hope they have ways to move the money they might have saved in UK Bank Accounts to Nigeria. It is not a good experience getting deported from any country. They will have to start all over again, you know. Nigeria is not a terrible place to live in though there are a lot of things that still need to be done in the country. The British Government and the UK Border Force have intensified their efforts on locating and removing illegal immigrants from the UK. The Indians, Bangladeshis and Pakistanis are the most targeted among the ethnic minority groups in Britain. Hundreds of them who are illegal immigrants are being picked up and deported on a Monthly Basis.

Sometimes, Nigerians get deported due to their own fault. If you know you're an illegal, why are you getting yourself involved in Credit Card Scams, Internet Dating Scams etc? Are you not placing a curse on yourself in the process? Some Nigerians without valid residence documents will be trying to claim benefits and in the end, they get caught by the authorities who then discover that they are illegal. If you don't have papers, just keep your head down and try to sort yourself out of the mess you've found yourself in. If you're honest, God will help you in due time. I pray for the 120 deported Nigerians that they will still do well in life. Don't Lose hope. Cheers.
Re: Uk Deports 120 Nigerians Over Immigration Offences by ocheejemb: 1:57pm On Mar 10, 2012
Redman44:

Where do these people want to start from? I hope they have ways to move the money they might have saved in UK Bank Accounts to Nigeria. It is not a good experience getting deported from any country. They will have to start all over again, you know. Nigeria is not a terrible place to live in though there are a lot of things that still need to be done in the country. The British Government and the UK Border Force have intensified their efforts on locating and removing illegal immigrants from the UK. The Indians, Bangladeshis and Pakistanis are the most targeted among the ethnic minority groups in Britain. Hundreds of them who are illegal immigrants are being picked up and deported on a Monthly Basis.

Sometimes, Nigerians get deported due to their own fault. If you know you're an illegal, why are you getting yourself involved in Credit Card Scams, Internet Dating Scams etc? Are you not placing a curse on yourself in the process? Some Nigerians without valid residence documents will be trying to claim benefits and in the end, they get caught by the authorities who then discover that they are illegal. If you don't have papers, just keep your head down and try to sort yourself out of the mess you've found yourself in. If you're honest, God will help you in due time. I pray for the 120 deported Nigerians that they will still do well in life. Don't Lose hope. Cheers.
Very valid points RedMan!!!

Some of you guys are being very silly by comparing the SA issue to this.

The UK has always deported illegal immigrants back to their country of origin, it didn't start today, it wont stop tomorrow. What the UK has not done and will never do is deport a plane load of people with genuine VISAs obtained from their high commission because there are doubts on the authenticity of a medical cert.

While i do feel bad for those 120 people who have had their lives suddenly and dramatically altered, this was a risk they always knew they faced. You have to ask yourself what quality of life they were living in the UK. Being illegal they probably did menial jobs earning less than minimum wage a day. Extremely hard to live on that here. Or if the alternative is they would be involved in some sort of criminal activity, or even living on welfare, and this is what the UK government abhors more.

Finally, i dont think anyone can blame the government in this case. Yes Nigeria is hard and all, but what about the hundred million + other people that are there struggling to make a living. How about those who never had the option to run away and be illegal in a system that doesnt want you there in the first place?
Re: Uk Deports 120 Nigerians Over Immigration Offences by queensmith: 3:15pm On Mar 10, 2012
A former governor of Ekiti was deported, he seems to have done well up to a point anyway but that's a story for another day. grin

In all honesty I don't think deportartion is that bad on Nigerians, the little experience they gain here seems to set them off on the right foot, I know quite a few who ended up being deported but did very well back home. Some even returned to look after their families. The same goes for Indians and Pakistanis, things are bad in those countries but the experience of living in the UK is valuable- they are able to find jobs and build prospects they couldnt have otherwise.
Re: Uk Deports 120 Nigerians Over Immigration Offences by Vuprax: 3:26pm On Mar 10, 2012
I wonder how the government will treat this. The timing of this deportation is also suspicious coming just a few days after a Briton was killed by Nigerian 'terrorists' (an Italian was also killed).
Re: Uk Deports 120 Nigerians Over Immigration Offences by Julot: 3:37pm On Mar 10, 2012
Welcome back sis and bro, home is still home anytime anyday.
Re: Uk Deports 120 Nigerians Over Immigration Offences by Leemak: 3:45pm On Mar 10, 2012
Any revenge 4rm useless GEJ? he no fit because England is not an africa country dt he can threaten. A real retardeen indeed!
Re: Uk Deports 120 Nigerians Over Immigration Offences by cj12(m): 4:14pm On Mar 10, 2012
I'm not surprise about the news as a matter of fact about couple of months ago i saw some group of students from one of the university in London all from white background protesting against the monthly deportation of Nigerians from the UK,according to the group they said that Nigerians are been deported more than any other nationality in the UK.
They also told us that the office of the Nigeria High Commission in London are not following the due process of proving the identity of the individual before approving their deportation to Nigeria.
Just last week i saw a news on telly about a young guy from India who is really tired and feed up with life in London,he got no job no house to stay and is very desperate to go back to India alive than starving to death in UK,he went to the immigration people and having narrated his predicament and how he lost his Indian passport when he arrived in the UK,The immigration people then arrested him for over staying his visas and started their normal process of preparing his deportation paper work, only for the Indian High Commission in London to refuse to sign his deportation on the basis that the said guy can not prove he's from India by producing an Indian passport and in such case that it's can actually  take up to two years before they can believe his nationality but that's not the case to Nigerians as a matter of fact some immigrant from some other west African countries have been deported to Nigeria just because they looks like Nigerian whilst there's no prove of them been Nigerian.
This is naija govt 4 U.
Re: Uk Deports 120 Nigerians Over Immigration Offences by mpmp: 4:21pm On Mar 10, 2012
South Africa deported 125 Nigerians,

Great Britain deported Nigerians 120

Very soon, Ghana will deport their own 120-something Nigerians.

In fact, let all the countries of the world each deport 120 Nigerians for immigration offenses.

At least our reputation will improve.
Re: Uk Deports 120 Nigerians Over Immigration Offences by studyineu: 4:47pm On Mar 10, 2012
Hmmm, I see let me think and advise the government on what to do since we have learnt how to retaliate.
Re: Uk Deports 120 Nigerians Over Immigration Offences by beamed: 5:10pm On Mar 10, 2012
Enjoy reading all the comments. I'm better informed. Thanks guys.  cool
Re: Uk Deports 120 Nigerians Over Immigration Offences by 2Mekus: 6:11pm On Mar 10, 2012
Sam Milla:

Lets wait and see what the hypos at NASS will do about this. I am sure some goats will begin to defend Britain and i hope the same people defended South Africa a few days ago.

For where! There was no Senator and or House of Rep member in the deportees so there won't be any bragado this time. The matter will just die after the current news Chikina. Besides, who is GEJ to engage Britain in war of deportations?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Winners Of The National Tourism Essay Competition: Ogbaga Sunday, Temitope Steve / I Cant Schedule For Us Visa Appointment I Forgot My Password / FRSC Announces Plans To Use Cameras On their Patrol Vehicles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.