Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,997 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:05 AM

Which African Country Has The Most Formidable Standing Army? - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Which African Country Has The Most Formidable Standing Army? (10418 Views)

Sweden's Left-Party To Ban Men From Urinating While Standing / David Cameron Standing In A Public Train (Pictures) - Humility? / Which Country Has The Strongest Economy In Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which African Country Has The Most Formidable Standing Army? by bingbagbo(m): 11:19am On Mar 10, 2012
I will love to be enlightened, as it amazes me to see western forces invariably descending on warring segments of Africa and doing anything that pleases them.wHEN indeed no African army has ever had the gut s to interfere in any western skirmish. It happened lately in ivory coast, libya and tunisia.
so, which African country has the most formidable army? could it be SA, NIGERIA, MORROCO, OR?
Re: Which African Country Has The Most Formidable Standing Army? by pendo89(f): 11:35am On Mar 10, 2012
s.a
Re: Which African Country Has The Most Formidable Standing Army? by okosodo: 3:19pm On Mar 10, 2012
It is nigeria but it is useless against boko haram or anything arabo

1 Like

Re: Which African Country Has The Most Formidable Standing Army? by cap28: 11:07am On Mar 16, 2012
the majority of african armies are under the control of western nations and can not defend the territorial integrity of their countries from any attack from a western country.

countries like nigeria, uganda, kenya and ethiopia are known for fighting and killing their fellow africans on behalf of their western masters - that is what ECOMOG is all about - it was formed by the west - not to help african countries defend themselves from western attack but to help the west fight any stubborn african countries who refused to give up their sovereignty and natural resources.
Re: Which African Country Has The Most Formidable Standing Army? by andrewza: 3:37pm On Mar 16, 2012
Is there not a topic just like this one. Any case. South Africa.

We got the best trained and the best gear. Almost all of our hardware is indigenous and those that are not we still manufacture all the spare parts for. This means we are not depended on out side help. We all so got the best C4I2R capabilities in Africa witch means a lot has we can use our forces much more effectively than other African nations. I will admit in some areas there are other African army's with better hardware(Egyptian tanks, for example) but has a whole we are better and those high tech hardware are maintained by or with the help of outsiders.
Re: Which African Country Has The Most Formidable Standing Army? by igbo2011(m): 11:41pm On Mar 19, 2012
cap28: the majority of african armies are under the control of western nations and can not defend the territorial integrity of their countries from any attack from a western country.

countries like nigeria, uganda, kenya and ethiopia are known for fighting and killing their fellow africans on behalf of their western masters - that is what ECOMOG is all about - it was formed by the west - not to help african countries defend themselves from western attack but to help the west fight any stubborn african countries who refused to give up their sovereignty and natural resources.

Cap28 I saw on your past post that you are thinking about leaving nairaland. What is your facebook or twitter so I can add you there and keep in touch? I like to have like minded Nigerians in my circle.

@Topic
us Africans are too busy fighting each other than to fight the west. We need to unite as one and defend ourselves against an attack from foreign powers over our resources.
Re: Which African Country Has The Most Formidable Standing Army? by abubaka101: 7:20am On Mar 23, 2012
For now and for a long time, the Nigerian army has always being ready for any mission that comes their way. Nigerian soldiers have being more active and responsible than any other country's soldiers in recent times. Boko Haram are decribed as "faceless", but our soldiers are still killing them.
For those that think its S.A., you only said cause you don't think its Nigeria's.
Re: Which African Country Has The Most Formidable Standing Army? by ayosmiles(m): 8:54am On Mar 23, 2012
4 a highly effective army, u need 3 things: the men, the weapons and the tactic. Nigeria scores high on manpower because of our population but most of our military hardware is imported and unsophisticated. We even fare worse in tactics because of corruption and logistic problems. That is why the army is losing to BOKO HARAM
Re: Which African Country Has The Most Formidable Standing Army? by andrewza: 2:19pm On Mar 23, 2012
abubaka101: For now and for a long time, the Nigerian army has always being ready for any mission that comes their way. Nigerian soldiers have being more active and responsible than any other country's soldiers in recent times. Boko Haram are decribed as "faceless", but our soldiers are still killing them.
For those that think its S.A., you only said cause you don't think its Nigeria's.

you only have man power and the hostage rescue mission that took place in Nigeria not to long ago point out that

A number are not every thing

B you are far from ready for any mission

Not trying to be rude, but your army is not up to scratch.

And what dose that last line mean i can not under stand it.I say SA due to it's higher level of training and better tactics, and much better equipment. And for information sake we do deploy solders on AU/UN missions and on the border.
Re: Which African Country Has The Most Formidable Standing Army? by abubaka101: 2:42pm On Mar 30, 2012
andrewza:

you only have man power and the hostage rescue mission that took place in Nigeria not to long ago point out that

A number are not every thing

B you are far from ready for any mission

Not trying to be rude, but your army is not up to scratch.

And what dose that last line mean i can not under stand it.I say SA due to it's higher level of training and better tactics, and much better equipment. And for information sake we do deploy solders on AU/UN missions and on the border.

I want to re-position myself on this matter, for I was ignorant. In the past 6 months or so, the Kenyan army has been successfully distabilising, invading, capturing and attacking towns controlled by the Al-Shabaab terrorist group. And it has been so effective that their efforts are being complemented by the African Union army, as well as the Ethiopian army.
So for now the most formidable army is the [b]KENYAN ARMY!
Re: Which African Country Has The Most Formidable Standing Army? by andrewza: 3:36pm On Mar 30, 2012
They are not bad but al shabab are not a real military threat. They are a terrorist organization that is acting like a army they are doomed to fail unless they chang back in to a insurgent force. Technical can not stand up to a proper armed force. And they up to the best in the region.
Re: Which African Country Has The Most Formidable Standing Army? by gaddafe(m): 3:47pm On Mar 30, 2012
Is the topic ''which african country's army has the best accomplishment or which african country has the strongest/formidable forces''
In order to really know which army have the strongest forces, they will need to test each other in the battle field without external interfarence.

Global world fire power rates Libya as no1 in africa. CIA fact book states that there are many criteria to judge the strongest army hence look:
In terms of largest soldiers(quantity)-nigeria is no 1 in Africa and no 6 in the world. Now this matters when it comes to a war situation.

In terms of quality and amount of Equipment (that is if u produce them etc)-Libya is no 1 in africa

In terms of soldiers fit for the job (that is using the rigt people for the job not using a 60 yrs old man for a job meant for 27 yrs old) - Nigeria is no 1 in Africa and no 10 in the world.

Infact when i checked the criteria used in judging the strongest soldiers according to Cia books, Nigeria was always ahead other african countries except for equipments and all that. Pls note these are not all the criteria used ooo. I only listed the ones i know people might be interested in this thread.
Re: Which African Country Has The Most Formidable Standing Army? by andrewza: 4:17pm On Mar 30, 2012
gaddafe: Is the topic ''which african country's army has the best accomplishment or which african country has the strongest/formidable forces''
In order to really know which army have the strongest forces, they will need to test each other in the battle field.

Global world fire power rates Libya as no1 in africa. CIA fact book states that there are many criteria to judge the strongest army hence look:
In terms of largest soldiers(quantity)-nigeria is no 1 in Africa and no 6 in the world. Now this matters when it comes to a war situation.

In terms of quality and amount of Equipment (that is if u produce them etc)-Libya is no 1 in africa

In terms of soldiers fit for the job (that is using the rigt people for the job not using a 60 yrs old man for a job meant for 27 yrs old) - Nigeria is no 1 in Africa and no 10 in the world.

Infact when i checked the criteria used in judging the strongest soldiers according to Cia books, Nigeria was always ahead other african countries except for equipments and all that. Pls note these are not all the criteria used ooo. I only listed the ones i know people might be interested in this thread.

Non of these factor matter. The most imported factor is level of training for the men. The condition of the equipment used and type of equipment used. In this SA is tops.

Best trained best equipment equals best army.
Re: Which African Country Has The Most Formidable Standing Army? by andrewza: 4:17pm On Mar 30, 2012
gaddafe: Is the topic ''which african country's army has the best accomplishment or which african country has the strongest/formidable forces''
In order to really know which army have the strongest forces, they will need to test each other in the battle field.

Non of these factor matter. The most imported factor is level of training for the men. The condition of the equipment used and type of equipment used. In this SA is tops.

Re: Which African Country Has The Most Formidable Standing Army? by andrewza: 4:19pm On Mar 30, 2012

Re: Which African Country Has The Most Formidable Standing Army? by gaddafe(m): 4:49pm On Mar 30, 2012
^^ war is not 1+1 or 2+2

Like i said earlier if you want to know the strongest army call them to the battle field.

If you want to go believing SA has the strongest army. Well goodluck 2 u. Just be ready to defend your stand when you are required in a seminar situation when the facts are pointing otherwise.

You said their level of training. How do you train with a specific equipment when you dont even have it? In terms of equipment and all that, give it to Libya. Even after the war and fall of gadaffi they still have the strongest army, if i'm to go by your standards

Why don't you check this site
www.globalfirepower.com

1 Like

Re: Which African Country Has The Most Formidable Standing Army? by andrewza: 6:52pm On Mar 30, 2012
Libay has old and out dated equipment. And buy a lot of there stuff from south africa.

You said their level of training. How do you train with a specific equipment when you dont even have it?

What do mean by this?

South africa has many world leading weapon systems. That are at the same level or better than what Europe and America are using. And most of it is built in south africa.

We train along side major powers. Last year there was a major exercise with the USMC and we just had a exercise with the German navy. We have the worlds second largest training ground and have massive training exercises every year to test our readiness.
Re: Which African Country Has The Most Formidable Standing Army? by gaddafe(m): 7:32pm On Mar 30, 2012
and did you check the site i posted below to c where your country stands in the world fire power. That will explain what i mean.
Re: Which African Country Has The Most Formidable Standing Army? by andrewza: 7:49pm On Mar 30, 2012
I had no need to check those sites. I have seen them before. And using those criteria you are correct. But those criteria do not mean you are good. You can not say if a Defense force is good or bad by numbers of men or equipment. You could through 100 of tanks at us but if they old T55 they would just be suicidal charges. Not to mention due to SA having a proper C4I2R System we can use our forces much more effectively.
Re: Which African Country Has The Most Formidable Standing Army? by abubaka101: 11:27am On Apr 01, 2012
andrewza: I had no need to check those sites. I have seen them before. And using those criteria you are correct. But those criteria do not mean you are good. You can not say if a Defense force is good or bad by numbers of men or equipment. You could through 100 of tanks at us but if they old T55 they would just be suicidal charges. Not to mention due to SA having a proper C4I2R System we can use our forces much more effectively.
When was the last time S.A. Witnessed a "real" threat to their national security?
S.A has a good economy, because of privatisation, but most of their public corporations and civil service functionality are behind expectations.
Thats why no country wants to ask S.A for military assitance, just economical. Case closed!
Re: Which African Country Has The Most Formidable Standing Army? by andrewza: 12:04pm On Apr 01, 2012
We train solders from SADC we are deployed in DRC and south sudan. We had solders in buruindy(spelled wrong I know) where we one of the lead forces to bring about a end to the civil war. We are conducting Ant piracy ops on the east coast the only african country to do so. We have train along side major powers.

And both taznain and mozienbiqu(spelled wrong I know) have physically asked for help.

And what dose having or not having a national threat have to do with this. That just means we are stable.

And what other african country builds there own advanced equipment.

I agree most government departments are run poorly but the SANDF is not one of them. Actually when they fail to do there job we step in.
Re: Which African Country Has The Most Formidable Standing Army? by Yewe2011(m): 8:57pm On Apr 06, 2012
top 3 (in no particular order) based on # of troops, missions, conflicts involved would be:

South Africa
Egypt
Nigeria
Re: Which African Country Has The Most Formidable Standing Army? by gidiMonsta(m): 12:21pm On Apr 13, 2012
@andrewza u're very correct about SA been one of the top military equipments manufacturer but that doesn't necessarily translate to a formidable military might.

Egypt has the best and most professional army in Africa due mainly to the Arabo-Israeli tensions. They have largest troops in Africa and the middle east.

Nigeria has a very strong military and the largest number of reservists. BH cannot be used as a criteria cos insurgency war is very difficult to fight unless you do not mind d civilian casualties.
All in all Egypt, Nigeria and SA are the strongest military mights in Africa (since d fall of Ghadaffi) and these countries can successfully invade almost any African country.
Re: Which African Country Has The Most Formidable Standing Army? by Lwandle(m): 12:29pm On Apr 13, 2012
Experience wise Zimbabwe!!!!!
Re: Which African Country Has The Most Formidable Standing Army? by andrewza: 4:22pm On Apr 13, 2012
Lwandle: Experience wise Zimbabwe!!!!!

Experience in what. When they fought for freedom they got slaughtered by a smaller force and after that there was a small war where they helped out. They have no current experience in any thing but terrorising the poor and defenceless. There are criminal gangs in SA with more combat experience.
Re: Which African Country Has The Most Formidable Standing Army? by Nobody: 3:55pm On Apr 16, 2012
Funny indeed. grin
Re: Which African Country Has The Most Formidable Standing Army? by Lwandle(m): 3:31pm On Apr 17, 2012
andrewza:

Experience in what. When they fought for freedom they got slaughtered by a smaller force and after that there was a small war where they helped out. They have no current experience in any thing but terrorising the poor and defenceless. There are criminal gangs in SA with more combat experience.

Zimbabwean forces were instrumental in putting down RENAMO(armed and financed by the WEST & SA) in Mozambique to bring peace to that country.

Zimbabwean forces were instrumental in helping Namibia militarily in its quest for independence!

Zimbabwea housed and protected ANC leaders before SA gained independence.

It was members of the Zimbabwe special forces who killed Savimbi( a USA backed rebel) thereby helping Angola achieve lasting peace 25yrs after independence.

It was Zimbabwean forces together with Angola and Namibia who held back Rwandan and Ugandian backed rebels ( Financed and armed by WESTERN countries) in their attempts to overthrow an elected gvt in DRC Congo. Ask yourselves where that rebel Nkunda is today.

It was Zimbabwean secret service that rumbled and arrested mercenaries and prevented a coup attempt in oil rich Equatorial Guinea that involved a few leading lights of the British aristocracy.

Zimbabwean forces are much sort after when it comes to U.N peace keeping duties all over the world.

You should check where your SA officers get their training my bro before pontificating abt things you dont know!
Re: Which African Country Has The Most Formidable Standing Army? by Nayah(f): 2:22pm On Apr 18, 2012
I don't know how you can quatify or measure the potential of an Army when some African countries have no experienced yet ( thank God) any war? don't be mistaken because of the size or country potential, DRC have a huge army but see what's happening there...
Re: Which African Country Has The Most Formidable Standing Army? by andrewza: 6:01pm On Apr 18, 2012
Lwandle:

Zimbabwean forces were instrumental in putting down RENAMO(armed and financed by the WEST & SA) in Mozambique to bring peace to that country.

Zimbabwean forces were instrumental in helping Namibia militarily in its quest for independence!

Zimbabwea housed and protected ANC leaders before SA gained independence.

It was members of the Zimbabwe special forces who killed Savimbi( a USA backed rebel) thereby helping Angola achieve lasting peace 25yrs after independence.

It was Zimbabwean forces together with Angola and Namibia who held back Rwandan and Ugandian backed rebels ( Financed and armed by WESTERN countries) in their attempts to overthrow an elected gvt in DRC Congo. Ask yourselves where that rebel Nkunda is today.

It was Zimbabwean secret service that rumbled and arrested mercenaries and prevented a coup attempt in oil rich Equatorial Guinea that involved a few leading lights of the British aristocracy.

Zimbabwean forces are much sort after when it comes to U.N peace keeping duties all over the world.

You should check where your SA officers get their training my bro before pontificating abt things you dont know!

All a long time ago while most of them in any case. While i will say you are our biggest threat you are still not the best or even a big threat.

And i know where our officers get trained it is not Zimbabwe. We send people there for the same reason we send them to all other countries to see how they do things different to us. If we only focused on how we saw the world we could not adopt to the changing world. Example we have never had any of our ships come under attack from enemy fighter aircraft but the british have. So we send some people there to learn what they did right and wrong so even though we have never had it happen to us we know what to do. It is better to learn from some body else's mistake than yours because you never know if you will get a second chance.
Re: Which African Country Has The Most Formidable Standing Army? by Lwandle(m): 1:45pm On Apr 20, 2012
andrewza:

All a long time ago while most of them in any case. While i will say you are our biggest threat you are still not the best or even a big threat.

And i know where our officers get trained it is not Zimbabwe. We send people there for the same reason we send them to all other countries to see how they do things different to us. If we only focused on how we saw the world we could not adopt to the changing world. Example we have never had any of our ships come under attack from enemy fighter aircraft but the british have. So we send some people there to learn what they did right and wrong so even though we have never had it happen to us we know what to do. It is better to learn from some body else's mistake than yours because you never know if you will get a second chance.

Excellent reply wink

We are no where near the best in terms of size, armaments, technology etc undecided

The 80's and early 90's are not really that long ago bro cheesy
Re: Which African Country Has The Most Formidable Standing Army? by yomalex(m): 8:39am On Apr 30, 2012
Nigerian army is living on past glory. They are the most easily disarmed contigent in sudan. Their escorting aid workers is as good as commiting suicide.
Re: Which African Country Has The Most Formidable Standing Army? by agaugust: 4:53am On Jan 25, 2013
STRONGEST TEN MILITARY POWERS/COUNTRIES IN AFRICA :

don't be surprised,this is the correct rankings from worldwide military analysts in europe and north america

1. EGYPT
(too powerful,too strong,too well trained,too well equipped,too experienced to be challenged by any other african country. the world fear egypt's power)

2. ALGERIA
(it will shock any country that tries to fight algeria, very well equipped modern army and airforce,yet people don't know. algeria is a silent big power)

3. NIGERIA AND SOUTH AFRICA SAME POSITION

(nigerian army is stronger,but south african airforce is stronger, while nigerian navy is bigger in size but south african navy has more modern ships. so a balance of power. the world respects nigerian artillery and infantry. the world respects south african airforce as they have been flying combat missions since world war II in 1940. south african military is known to avoid real heavy combat since it almost lost the bush war with cuba in 1988)

4. ETHIOPIA, ANGOLA, AND SUDAN SAME POSITION

(ethiopia has a battle hardened army,combat experience nation against nation,its airforce flew warplanes against italy over 70 years ago! respect ethiopia. angola and sudan have latest jet-fighters and massive tanks/artillery firepower with many years of real combat experience in big civil wars)

5. MOROCCO, ERITREA, UGANDA SAME POSITION
(morocco has good jet-fighters,but its soldiers are not first-class on land and air combat. eritrea is a small nation with powerful airforce and army having many years of serious battlefield experience. uganda has a modernized airforce with good jetfighters and a moderately experienced army with good commanders)

if you have any doubts about the above information, check these countries army, navy, and air force on wikipedia, army recognition website, and their countries official military website to compare.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Happy 95th Birthday To Nelson Mandela / Fake Pictures Of Hurricane Sandy Escalating Panic, Trending On Social Med [PICS] / Rockets Fired From Gaza In To Israel As Obama Visits

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.