Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,767 members, 7,831,469 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 07:12 PM

SNG Sues GEJ &, Security Chiefs Over Fuel Subsidy Removal - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / SNG Sues GEJ &, Security Chiefs Over Fuel Subsidy Removal (3913 Views)

Senate Summons Service Chiefs Over Election Postponement / Senate Summons Military Chiefs Over Seized $ 9.3m Cash  / Jonathan Meets Security Chiefs Over Seized $9.3 Million (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

SNG Sues GEJ &, Security Chiefs Over Fuel Subsidy Removal by mukina2: 3:23pm On Mar 12, 2012
A Federal High Court sitting in Ikeja, Lagos, has fixed the 3rd of April for hearing in the suit filed by Save Nigeria Group(SNG) against the Federal Government over an alleged violation of its members rights in last January’s protest against the removal of fuel subsidy.

The SNG filed the suit against President Goodluck Jonathan, the National Security Adviser, Gen. Andrew Azazi, the Chief of Defence Staff, Air Marshall Oluseyi Petinrin and Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Azubuike Ihejirika.

Others listed in the suit are the Inspector General of Police, Mohammed Abubakar and the Attorney General of the Federation, Mohammed Bello Adoke.

Presiding Justice Steven Adah on Monday, adjourned the matter after the counsel representing the President, the IG and the AGF, Mr. Taiwo Abidogun, informed the court that he was yet to file his counter-affidavit to the suit. He attributed the delay in his response to the applicant’s mode of commencement of the suit.

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2012/03/12/sng-sues-president-security-chiefs-over-fuel-subsidy-removal/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter
Re: SNG Sues GEJ &, Security Chiefs Over Fuel Subsidy Removal by Nobody: 3:32pm On Mar 12, 2012
Hissing, as if they can do the goverment anything
Re: SNG Sues GEJ &, Security Chiefs Over Fuel Subsidy Removal by pcicero(m): 3:42pm On Mar 12, 2012
odiaero: Hissing, as if they can do the goverment anything

You can hiss as much as you like but that is the most sensible thing to do. Or are you suggesting that they take up arms against the FG?
Re: SNG Sues GEJ &, Security Chiefs Over Fuel Subsidy Removal by confetti(f): 3:45pm On Mar 12, 2012
One good thing though, the Govt is being represented, at least they will have to pay legal fees.
Re: SNG Sues GEJ &, Security Chiefs Over Fuel Subsidy Removal by oiseworld: 3:50pm On Mar 12, 2012
complete waste of time and resources. W
Re: SNG Sues GEJ &, Security Chiefs Over Fuel Subsidy Removal by shenks3: 3:57pm On Mar 12, 2012
Bomboclerck! what can‘t dey do to d govt?
Re: SNG Sues GEJ &, Security Chiefs Over Fuel Subsidy Removal by Okijajuju1(m): 3:59pm On Mar 12, 2012
Rubbish!!

The Bakare idiot really deyy seek relevance die!!
Re: SNG Sues GEJ &, Security Chiefs Over Fuel Subsidy Removal by legendsilver(m): 4:23pm On Mar 12, 2012
dis is gud 4 naija, at least gov go nw say pple fit sue dem
Re: SNG Sues GEJ &, Security Chiefs Over Fuel Subsidy Removal by joelala(m): 4:29pm On Mar 12, 2012
you guys are all sick cowards blind folded with cowardice. even if they fought and lost, at least they showed courage and guts against the almighty FGN (that appears untouchable to most of you) and that should shake them a bit at least to show them some people are still in the fight to save nigeria....unlike you guys who just criticize and do nuffin except hoping and praying to God to come and rescue your country...have you ever heard or seen where people beg/pray for freedom..YOU FIGHT FOR IT....bunch of cowards.

4 Likes

Re: SNG Sues GEJ &, Security Chiefs Over Fuel Subsidy Removal by Demdem(m): 4:30pm On Mar 12, 2012
Good development
Re: SNG Sues GEJ &, Security Chiefs Over Fuel Subsidy Removal by stillme(m): 4:55pm On Mar 12, 2012
Pls criticize with sense. SNG has taken a bold step,even if they lose,i'm still proud of them for taken such a bold step.
Re: SNG Sues GEJ &, Security Chiefs Over Fuel Subsidy Removal by flexdee(m): 5:10pm On Mar 12, 2012
bold step indeed, let's keep our fingers crossed for the outcome.
Re: SNG Sues GEJ &, Security Chiefs Over Fuel Subsidy Removal by joudini(m): 5:15pm On Mar 12, 2012
The feeling of revolt will grow stronger everyday among the peoples subjected to various degrees of exploitation, and they will take up arms to gain by force the rights which reason alone has not won them- Che Guevara.

What is the advantage of the supposed democracy when citizens cant contest in a law court when they believe their fundamental rights have been trampled?

Seems some people have already concluded that precedence cant be challenged. If you dont fight now and challenge bad government, who is going to do it? Ok, an orphan or person wey im mama no like abi? Smh. Whether they win or not, the effort will be noted and posterity will judge.

I only hope people will be willing to stand up when its not from behind a computer screen,lol.
Re: SNG Sues GEJ &, Security Chiefs Over Fuel Subsidy Removal by xtielauder(f): 5:46pm On Mar 12, 2012
This is robbing peter to pay paul.... Its unacceptable!!!
Re: SNG Sues GEJ &, Security Chiefs Over Fuel Subsidy Removal by Enice(m): 5:50pm On Mar 12, 2012
this case will be thrown out for lack of jurisdiction.
Re: SNG Sues GEJ &, Security Chiefs Over Fuel Subsidy Removal by TheGeneral1(m): 5:57pm On Mar 12, 2012
We nigerians shout too much! No wonder we are poorest in Africa.
Re: SNG Sues GEJ &, Security Chiefs Over Fuel Subsidy Removal by jpphilips(m): 5:58pm On Mar 12, 2012
confetti: One good thing though, the Govt is being represented, at least they will have to pay legal fees.

and you seriously think that SNG wont have lawyer members giving them free legal services?
Re: SNG Sues GEJ &, Security Chiefs Over Fuel Subsidy Removal by uncleb(m): 7:57pm On Mar 12, 2012
Suffering cos of our ignorance.

If most people knew the p[rovisions of the Constitution of this land (pls read section 40) u wud realise that what they did was grevious.

my only concern is our judiciary, we all witnessed uncle "head cover" case
Re: SNG Sues GEJ &, Security Chiefs Over Fuel Subsidy Removal by Aeola(m): 8:02pm On Mar 12, 2012
...kp up d gud wrk SNG, thumbs up!
Re: SNG Sues GEJ &, Security Chiefs Over Fuel Subsidy Removal by honeric01(m): 8:15pm On Mar 12, 2012
Steady steady, it shall come to that period where the govt is going to be all about the people and our welfare. cowards park well, we won't be needing you poeple because you are good at causing obstacles.
Re: SNG Sues GEJ &, Security Chiefs Over Fuel Subsidy Removal by prettyboi1(m): 8:35pm On Mar 12, 2012
joelala: you guys are all sick cowards blind folded with cowardice. even if they fought and lost, at least they showed courage and guts against the almighty FGN (that appears untouchable to most of you) and that should shake them a bit at least to show them some people are still in the fight to save nigeria....unlike you guys who just criticize and do nuffin except hoping and praying to God to come and rescue your country...have you ever heard or seen where people beg/pray for freedom..YOU FIGHT FOR IT....bunch of cowards.

My brother you have said it all. We all want change in this country & yet nobody ever wants to participate in bringing the change/changes. You can imagine some stupid/daft imbeciles saying things like "the sng is stupid" "the sng can't do anything to the government" etc....its exactly because of mindsets like that that our government & so called "leaders" have always played on our intelligence cos in the words of the late Fela "all we do is suffer & smile." When are we going to wake up to a revolution & let our government know that ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. All we do is sit down & be saying "na so God want am", "God go judge them" instead of standing up. God would only give us the Grace & make our struggle easy but he wouldn't come down from heaven & come become our president. Even in the Biblical times,when the Israelites were being oppressed by the Egyptians,wasn't it through the participation of man (Moses,Aaron & the Israelites themselves) that God brought freedom to the Children of Israel? We need to stand up to a revolt & change our mentality. WHETHER OR NOT THE SNG WINS THE CASE AGAINST GOVERNMENT,IT'S A GOOD & JUSTIFIED MOVE & I'M REALLY PROUD OF THEM.....God Bless Nigeria. Amen.
Re: SNG Sues GEJ &, Security Chiefs Over Fuel Subsidy Removal by chucky234(m): 10:03pm On Mar 12, 2012
SNG is simply majestic and I am proud of them,we need more of this.
Re: SNG Sues GEJ &, Security Chiefs Over Fuel Subsidy Removal by omoluabi2010: 10:32pm On Mar 12, 2012
let us wait and see what will be the outcome of the matter
Re: SNG Sues GEJ &, Security Chiefs Over Fuel Subsidy Removal by Nobody: 10:50pm On Mar 12, 2012
What a waste of time and resources. What is done is done!
Re: SNG Sues GEJ &, Security Chiefs Over Fuel Subsidy Removal by sokera: 12:21pm On Mar 13, 2012
blogger1.0:

U think so Just wait and see how SNG will save u entire family...
Re: SNG Sues GEJ &, Security Chiefs Over Fuel Subsidy Removal by joudini(m): 5:50pm On Mar 13, 2012
blogger1.0:

You might want to read the article again. This suit is against the alleged violation of rights not against the removal of fuel subsidy.
Re: SNG Sues GEJ &, Security Chiefs Over Fuel Subsidy Removal by Enice(m): 10:28am On Mar 16, 2012
joudini:

You might want to read the article again. This suit is against the alleged violation of rights not against the removal of fuel subsidy.
They have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that their rights were violated. Most people would be shocked to know that the constitution also gives you responsibility. A protester's rights stops where a supporter's rights begins. A case in point, i support the subsidy removal, i am in my car on my way to work. Protesters barricade the road preventing me from accessing the road. The police comes to disparse them and they refuse to bulge. Then, the police use force. Whose right is violated in this case?
Re: SNG Sues GEJ &, Security Chiefs Over Fuel Subsidy Removal by joudini(m): 12:22pm On Mar 16, 2012
E nice:
They have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that their rights were violated. Most people would be shocked to know that the constitution also gives you responsibility. A protester's rights stops where a supporter's rights begins. A case in point, i support the subsidy removal, i am in my car on my way to work. Protesters barricade the road preventing me from accessing the road. The police comes to disparse them and they refuse to bulge. Then, the police use force. Whose right is violated in this case?

That is why l used 'alleged'. It's not a cut and dried issue. In tort it is called public nuisance, a crime for which the remedy is criminal proceedings brought by the attorney general.

The possible defences are that the person/people committing the alleged nuisance have acquired prescriptive rights through purposeful historical infringement of rights.
Also the so-called nuisance could have arisen from the lawful use of the land (bradford corp v. pickles).
The alleged nuisance could have been covered by statutory authority or supervisory body .
Consent of the plaintiff is a possible defence but consent will be implied simply because the plaintiff came to the premises knowing that the nuisance was in existence (bliss v. Hall)
The injury is trivial and a consequence of. The legal maxim is: de minimis non curat lex. The law does not concern itself with trifles.
The law is not a one way express. It is who convinces the judge, more. (not sure that's how it works in my naija).

(1) (Reply)

Is This Owerri-onitsha Road? If So, Great! / With Pictures Like This, I Weep For Nigeria, / Jonathan To Contest Against Semi-literate Candidate - PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.