Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,219 members, 7,815,262 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:50 AM

How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group - Politics (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group (41932 Views)

The 3 Largest Ethnic Groups Are Hausa,igbo,kanuri / The Fourth Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria / Odumchi: Yorubas Are The Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by Sweetlemon(f): 1:55pm On Jun 23, 2013
Abagworo:

It shouldn't be a headache to anyone. The headache should be how to develop Nigeria, reduce tribalism and corruption. When all that is done, then a credible census can be conducted with ethnicity and religion included. As for now, all are mere speculations.

I really don't know why some people with all their education, can not just figure this simple fact out!
What you wrote is ALL Nigeria needs to move forward. I pray God begins to make more people think like you
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by Nobody: 6:40am On Jun 24, 2013
Nigerians are very stupid. Does the population of a town or a section depict population of a tribe? When did they count tribal population in Nigeria? To this Yoruba man 14 million people in Lagos means 14 million Yoruba.

olumidaie: FOM WIKIPEDIA AND CITYPOPULATION RESEARCH IN 2006: IJAW LOCAL GOVT IN DELTA, AND ONDO STATE IS 500,000:

1.) DELTA STATE:
a.)URHOBO LAND: 1,575,738

Uvwie 191, 472
Ughelli N. 213, 576
Ughelli S. 321,028
Sapele 171, 888
Ethiope W. 203,592
Ethiope E. 200,792
Udu 143,361

b.)IGBO/IGBOID LAND: 1,229,500

Ika N.E. 183,800
Ika S. 162,600

Aniocha N. 104,700
Oshimilli N. 115,300
Aniocha S. 140,600
Oshimilli S.(Asaba) 149,600

Ukwuani 120,300
Ndoka E. 103,100
Ndoka W. 149,500

c.)ITSEKIRI LAND: 557,398

Warri S. 303,417
Warri N. 135,300
Warri S.W. 116,681

d.)ISOKO LAND: 355,347

Isoko N. 130,200
Isoko S. 225,147

e.)IJAW LAND: 350,790

Burutu 207,977
Patani 67,707
Bomadi 86,016

2.)ONDO STATE

Ese Odo 154,978
(NOTE: The local govt, ESE ODO, is not exclusive Apoi and Arogbo Ijaw, as its capital, IGBOKODA, is an Ilaje-Yoruba land; and its former chairman/councillor was also Yoruba).

This is 2006, from wikipedia, both Bomadi and Burutu figures

are from citypopulation.

1 Like

Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by olumidaie(m): 10:51am On Jun 24, 2013
killayut: Nigerians are very stupid. Does the population of a town or a section depict population of a tribe? When did they count tribal population in Nigeria? To this Yoruba man 14 million people in Lagos means 14 million Yoruba.

.....cuts in,reverse is the case here, you are even supporting my point; the fact that Lagos is 14 million means they can't be more than 14 million Yoruba. Also, at as 2006, in these Ijaw regions of Delta and Ondo, they can't be more than 5000,000.
Mind you, I didn't add Bayelsa and Rivers states.

The Igbos at as now constitute 18% of Nigeria, translating to 30.3 million. Yet, onlt 20 million stay in the South East. Around(if not over) 3, million Igbo indigines(Ikwerre inclusive) are at Delta and Rivers. Therefore, by statistics, they are over 7 million Igbos throught Nigeria. Yet igbos are the most travelled in Nigeria outside their territory.

Now tell me aside the CIRCA 4 million Ijaws in their states; where is the remaining OVER 10 million? Yet Ijaw peeps are at the rich area(OYEL MONEY) and rarely venture beyond the domain.

And as for the figures, mind you it was during CENSUS, thereby many people(though not all, BUT SIGNIFICANT) went to their base. An example is Lagos which stood at 8 million. Was Lagos not more than that

Mind you, I AM NOT IGBO OOOO!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by ijawcitizen(m): 4:56pm On Jun 24, 2013
olumidaie: FOM WIKIPEDIA AND CITYPOPULATION RESEARCH IN 2006: IJAW LOCAL GOVT IN DELTA, AND ONDO STATE IS 500,000:

1.) DELTA STATE:
a.)URHOBO LAND: 1,575,738

Uvwie 191, 472
Ughelli N. 213, 576
Ughelli S. 321,028
Sapele 171, 888
Ethiope W. 203,592
Ethiope E. 200,792
Udu 143,361

b.)IGBO/IGBOID LAND: 1,229,500

Ika N.E. 183,800
Ika S. 162,600

Aniocha N. 104,700
Oshimilli N. 115,300
Aniocha S. 140,600
Oshimilli S.(Asaba) 149,600

Ukwuani 120,300
Ndoka E. 103,100
Ndoka W. 149,500
Mr. man, your level of ignorance and pattern of reasoning is really irritating to say the least. If these are the figures cooked up during the last census, does it mean it is the population of the various ethnic groups?

olumidaie:

Warri S. 303,417
Warri N. 135,300
Warri S.W. 116,681
Who made the 3 Warri LGAs "Itsekiri land"? and who told you that is the true population of the these and all the Local Govt. Areas you posted here?

olumidaie:
d.)ISOKO LAND: 355,347

Isoko N. 130,200
Isoko S. 225,147

e.)IJAW LAND: 350,790

Burutu 207,977
Patani 67,707
Bomadi 86,016
I'm very sure an Isoko man would lose his temper and decend on you for this crap and insult on the Isoko people. Pray he is not having a cutlass with him, 'cos whenever we set eyes on a cutlass in Delta state, the next thing that comes to mind is Isoko people.

As for the Ijaw Areas, I won't take offence but just laugh it off as a very funny Joke because even my community can boast of at least 50 000 people. So keep deluding yourself with your Google engineering.

olumidaie:
2.)ONDO STATE

Ese Odo 154,978
(NOTE: The local govt, ESE ODO, is not exclusive Apoi and Arogbo Ijaw, as its capital, IGBOKODA, is an Ilaje-Yoruba land; and its former chairman/councillor was also Yoruba).

This is 2006, from wikipedia, both Bomadi and Burutu figures are from citypopulation.
What a way to crown one's ignorance!
To start with, there are no yorubas in Ese Odo LGA as it consist only of Apoi-Ijaw & Arogbo Ijaws. Due to Yoruba infleunce, they bear mostly Yoruba names including those former LG chairmen you observed but they remain Ijaws. Sahara Reporter's Omoyele Sowore is one of such Apoi Ijaws.

Igbokoda is an Ilaje community somewhere in Ilaje land. The HQ of Ese Odo is IGBEKEBO and it is an Apoi Ijaw community.

Pls get some education to get ur facts right rather that coming here to embarrass yourself with your ignorance.
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by Nobody: 7:23pm On Jun 24, 2013

Warri S. 303,417
Warri N. 135,300
Warri S.W. 116,68

ALL the WARRI LGAS have Ijaws constituting close to half of the population mind you.

ijaw citizen: Mr. man, your level of ignorance and pattern of reasoning is really irritating to say the least. If these are the figures cooked up during the last census, does it mean it is the population of the various ethnic groups?

Who made the 3 Warri LGAs "Itsekiri land"? and who told you that is the true population of the these and all the Local Govt. Areas you posted here?

I'm very sure an Isoko man would lose his temper and decend on you for this crap and insult on the Isoko people. Pray he is not having a cutlass with him, 'cos whenever we set eyes on a cutlass in Delta state, the next thing that comes to mind is Isoko people.

As for the Ijaw Areas, I won't take offence but just laugh it off as a very funny Joke because even my community can boast of at least 50 000 people. So keep deluding yourself with your Google engineering.

To start with, there are no yorubas in Ese Odo LGA as it consist only of Apoi-Ijaw & Arogbo Ijaws. Due to Yoruba infleunce, they bear mostly Yoruba names including those former LG chairmen you observed but they remain Ijaws. Sahara Reporter's Omoyele Sowore is one of such Apoi Ijaws.

Igbokoda is an Ilaje community somewhere in Ilaje land. The HQ of Ese Odo is IGBEKEBO and it is an Apoi Ijaw community.

Pls get some education to get ur facts right rather that coming here to embarrass yourself with your ignorance.
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by Nobody: 4:00pm On Sep 05, 2013
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by Abagworo(m): 4:22pm On Sep 05, 2013
killayut:

You tried to make some point but your point is pointless cos your assertion is ignorantly made. Have you ever been to the Ijaw areas to see how people live ? Tell me just one link road you know of in the Ijaw land ? which Ijaw settlement is as urbanized as Ikire or Gbangan ? The oil and gas are there but all what you see there are wells and pipe lines transporting crude oil to depot . The money is payed in Lagos and not in the Ijaw land. Those who control the money do not even get to the Ijaw land but the The oil companies only Tell me things that would make Ijaw people live in their land ? No road network , No electricity,No schools.. Tell me one university or higher school you ever heard that is in Ijaw land before this time . There are no even secondary schools, no urban areas, no nothing. People do not even go there to patronage their goods and services. So the Ijaws are all in diaspora. Port Harcourt, Lagos and Warri Especially. So the bulk of the population of those urban areas have Ijaws living in them. So the people have to get out. They are the ones living at the so called Port Harcourt water side, AJEGUNLE, many parts of Lagos Ilaje settlement and such places. They were also most of the people that lived in Bakassi even more than the Efik natives. They spread along the atlantic coast catching fish and living just at the shore with no Town arrangement. They have to take their fish to the buyers cos the buyers do not have access to them.. Those big big wooden boats you see in Lagos are owned by the Ijaws and many of them just live in the boat.

Ijaws seldom go to their home town cos it takes forever to get to the villages cos the water ways are either full of weed or the town is submerged . the area is swampy. Once they are out they hardly get back in unless some thing very very serious or important. Censors would not make Ijaws go back home and that is why many Ijaws became Yorubas and Uhrobos cos they had to live among those people, get Yoruba names and stay there forever. You better get to know about Ijaw land before you can make an impartial judgement. During the militancy the senate and house of reps members had to go there to see things for themselves and they saw it. It was what they saw that made them approve the amnesty and become sympathetic to the Ijaws. Was THERE any university in Ijaw land ? Or a federal govt college. Uniport is in Igbo land of choba...Thats another reason why many of them join the army cos it was an easier way to get better life and live in other people's land.

Killayut, I've known you for years as a cyber Ijaw activist but my problem with you is that you seem to have wasted these past 4 years lamenting on the neglect of Ijawland which every sane Nigerian knows is true and wants it developed but why haven't you and other Ijaws kept the President on his toes with issues regarding Ijaw development? Don't you think a lot of impact would have been made if Jonathan focused more on development of Ijawland than holding on to power? Of what use has an Ijaw man being President been to the average Ijaw on the street? Amaechi is constructing a trans-Kalabari expressway and also another road linking Ogoni and Andoni with Opobo but just because he had a little issue with Jonathan who has not done anything for the Ijaws, people started calling for his heads.
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by olumidaie(m): 11:09am On Sep 07, 2013
ijaw citizen: Mr. man, your level of ignorance and pattern of reasoning is really irritating to say the least. If these are the figures cooked up during the last census, does it mean it is the population of the various ethnic groups?

you are very stupid for such abusive statement "your level of ignorance and reasoning is iritating". What did I type that warranted such? I only copies facts from wikipedia and I posted them with sources and you abuse me. Weather the facts are wrong, inasmuch as it hasn't be challenged, and its is used in revenue allocation, I have every reason to use it.

And for ur statement that if an Isoko man sees this, he would attack me, did I say Isoko population? I STATED POPULATION OF DWELLERS IN ISOKOLAND, IJAW, URHOBO and the rest. Go check 2006 population of Delta state, nonsense!
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by aldrick: 6:05pm On Jul 12, 2014
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by aldrick: 6:13pm On Jul 12, 2014
hmm
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by aldrick: 6:21pm On Jul 12, 2014
#
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by ujoinme: 8:03pm On Jul 12, 2014
Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by Nobody: 10:27am On Aug 20, 2016
Dede1:

I guess idiocy knows no boundary. It is very funny to watch the sons and daughters of shameless denial artists make fool of themselves in public. Opu Obu is Igbo and sometime the compound of Mazi Opu Obu is referred as Ama Opu Obu which was later twisted to Opubo Ama by delusional name changers. I know that days are yet to come when Obigbo that has been changed to Oyigbo will become Ijo. What can be more idiotic than to insinuate that Jojo is Ijo. The word Jojo originates from Akwuette\Ndoki in Ukwa East LGA. I have also head about Ogan Ama, Amadi Ama and Okolo ama which were Ama Ogan, Ama Amadi and Ama Okolo. Remember the word Okolo is the same thing as Okoro in certain Igbo dialect.

In Opu Obu, the word Opu is uzo or okpo or okporo or door as in house or in some cases road as in community while Obu is Obi or Ulo or house.
U are just one dumb idiot, opobo is d anglicized version of Opubo ama , named after the great king Opubo, these red mud people and their lies, stop linking Ibani Ijaw people to your tribe of drug peddlers and ritualists, nobody wants to associate with your inferior tribe
And as a side note Jaja was gotten from juwo juwogha an Ibani name.

1 Like

Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by K9boss: 2:56pm On Dec 22, 2019
Buy durable wooden boats of all sizes at affordable and negotiable prices...boats can be constructed based on buyers use preferably at buyers location anywhere in Nigeria.
Prices ranges with size but are all cheap and affordable.
Interested buyers should call me on

1 Share

Re: How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group by iSlayer: 9:14pm On Dec 22, 2019
So Amadi ama and Okolo ama were actually Ama Amadi and Ama Okolo? Hmmm, things dey happen o. Little wonder some of these names have always looked fishy.

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

Odili House Invasion: Malami Kicks As Suspect Says He Works For Him / Maria Saro-Wiwa Is Dead! Ken Saro-Wiwa’s Wife Dies (Photos) / Pls, Who Have An Idea About Alliance In Motion Global (AIM)?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.