Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,756 members, 7,809,904 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:55 PM

Multiple Joomla Site - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Multiple Joomla Site (659 Views)

Has Anyone Been Able Upload A Joomla Site Through Filezilla? / How Do I Use Webmail Or Horde Or Squirellmail Mail On My Joomla Site / What Cool Joomla Site(s) Have You Seen? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Multiple Joomla Site by Euclidmyke(m): 11:52am On Mar 13, 2012
Hi guru,

I use Joomla 1.5. I am working on a site on my joomla.I also want to start work on a new site. I tried to get new folder into my server with different name but i cannot install the site. I also restored the installation folder which is usually deleted at the end of each installation but i could still not set up the site. Pse, how can i setup multiple sites on my server with joomla 1.5.

Myke
Re: Multiple Joomla Site by Nobody: 2:18pm On Mar 13, 2012
Not clear at all. . . . .
Re: Multiple Joomla Site by yawatide(f): 4:56pm On Mar 13, 2012
If I understand you, then here is what you need to do (note that I haven't tried this myself - IMHO, it is a risky venture, security-wise - but have read that this is what you need to do)

1) Run the installation script again, using the same database username and password, etc

2) when it comes to the screen where you specify database tables, there should be a section for database table prefixes. By default, Joomla tables have a prefix of "jos_". You will need to provide a different prefix for this. This will create the tables for the news site, in the same database with the "jos_", without overwriting the "jos_" tables. Of course, having a back up of the "jos_" tables is in order.

My security concern, revsitied:
What if someone gains access to your database? sure, you may have backups, but why go through the stress in the first place? Having 2 sites running off of the same database is IMHO, akin to having a TV that has a combined DVD and/or VCR player - it sure is convenient but if say, the DVD player goes bad, you are out of both the DVD and a TV - not good.

Good luck!

(1) (Reply)

Common Web Designer Mistakes / Please Help Me Review This Site - Instapy.com And Leave A Feedback / Help Please

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.