Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,790 members, 7,810,054 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:37 PM

Abacha's Rare Interview 1997 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abacha's Rare Interview 1997 (3304 Views)

Maryam Abacha Spotted At A Wedding (photos) / Abacha Used Lipstick To Coat His Cracked Lips At A Summit In 1997 (photo) / How Sani Abacha Died…AL Mustapha. NOT BY APPLE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abacha's Rare Interview 1997 by Nobody: 3:55pm On Mar 17, 2012
[size=18pt]Excerpts from an interview by John Corry, senior correspondent for the monthly American Spectator, with Gen. Sani Abacha.[/size]

Q: When you be came head of state in November 1993, what was the most difficult problem facing Nigeria?

A: I think the major problem was the unity and the stability of the nation itself, its territorial integrity and existence as it is. That was the major problem because there was even part of the country that was threatening to secede, and Nigerians who had lived their own lives in parts of the country different from their own ethnic origin were feeling threatened and...moving back into their own cultural locations. So, that was one of the most difficult challenges facing us - the unity, the stability of the country.

Q: Are you confident the transition process will be carried out on schedule in 1998?

A: Yes. My confidence is from the journey so far. After I came in, all that I promised so far has been carried out. It is now over three years. I promised a constitutional conference. It is history today. The draft constitution is there. And the draft constitution can only be promulgated by a democratic government. There must be a parliament or legislature to do that. The draft constitution...will wait until democracy comes into effect. So for now, we are using the old constitutional procedures.
I promised electoral processes and so on. Last year, we conducted local government elections on a nonparty basis, which were quite successful. We have put into place all the organs to make sure the transition process is implemented. The local government elections on a party basis will take place in this quarter. We have also completed the registration of political parties, another step in the program. After the local government election, there will be the states' gubernatorial election and also the state assembly election. Then come the National Assembly election and the presidential election. So everything is...going on course, and we pray it will continue.

Q: I know it's early, but would you consider running for president?

A: I am soldier, and I see my duty as an extension of my profession. I see my position today as an extension of my responsibility. When the crisis in this country started out, I was the most senior officer, and at that time, civilians and (presidential candidate Moshood K.O.) Abiola was one of them, were calling upon me, upon the military, to intervene. So, we intervened, and we were putiing things in order. We are doing our best. A military administration is not new in this country.

Q: The reason I ask: A number of people here say, we want this man to run.

A: They are always saying that, but the decision is mine, not theirs. And the decision is my own constituency's. It is not new in Africa, neither is it new in this subregion, where military people have stepped into politics. It depends on the circumstances, and I know that so far now, I have not put my mind to, never thought of it. What I am concerned about, where I concentrate my efforts, is making sure that everything is on course; that the political, the social, the economic programs we have succeed.

Q: The U.S and the British Commonwealth have criticized Nigeria for human rights violations, especially in the case of Ken Saro-Wiwa. What is your response?

A: The criticism of Nigeria on human rights is most unfair and unfortunate. The law of Nigeria condemned Ken Saro- Wiwa and he was hanged according to the law, just like other Nigerians who committed similar offenses in the past...Ken Saro-Wiwa was the one who organized and killed four other people. So, someone who commits murder and goes through the same legal process that has been in existence for many, many years, and is found guilty, that he should be exonerated or he should be set free is not reasonable just because he has international connections. A Human Rights Commission has recently been established here. It is headed by a retired chief justice of this country, and there hasn't been any interference from government...And everybody who is in detention, either he is awaiting trial or is awaiting investigation, depending on the nature of his offense.

Q: Chief Abiola is widely regarded as the winner of the election that (Gen. Ibrahim) Babangida annuled in 1993. Now, he is detained.

A: Abiola is not being detained just like that. There is a judicial process. If you are arraigned in Nigeria, you cannot expect it to be over yesterday. Abiola is not detained by me, but because he committed an offense. For one year after the election, he did what he liked. He was one of those who asked me to become head of state. And he also recommended people...and we gave them Cabinet appointment as ministers.

So how could somebody who even came and congratulated me - there are all the documents, the records are there, the video, the newspaper reporters, they were all there - and agreed also to cooperate and do everything, and even nominated people to participate in the same government, and only a few months later, starts talking of declaring himself president of this nation? That is the issue of Abiola.

Q: The US has decertified Nigeria as not cooperating sufficiently on drug-related matters. Why should Nigeria be recertified?

A: We believe that whatever we are doing is more in the interest of the United States than it is in the interest of Nigeria. We are not a transit for drugs going to the United States, because there is no way for us to be.
But we accept that there are a few Nigerians, like any other nationality, who are unfortunately misguided... and may be involved in this trade. But lately, the United States is unfairly acc using us of getting involved in this drug traffic just as a way of implementing their overall policy. We are not a producer of these drugs, we don't consume in this country. Which is why it is in our interest to act. We have seen the effect of drugs in the United States. We have seen the effect of drugs in Europe. And we don't believe it is in our interest to leave this thing alone. So, we believe it is in the interest of the United States, if there are some Nigerians involved in drug trafficking, for them to cooperate with us over drugs or money laundering or any other activities which are not in our social or economic interest. And also to recognize our own efforts to date and recertify Nigeria.

Q: How do you assess US-Nigerian relations today?

A: I think the American government does not face the reality of the Nigerian situation, because it is very difficult for Nigeria under the present stance of US government policy - the policy that says they will have nothing to do with government officials of Nigeria. But the American government has its own embassy here in Nigeria - it has not closed its embassy, neither has it recalled its ambassador - and Nigeria also has its own embassy in Washington and that establishes the recognition of the legitimacy of the administrations of the two governments. So, it is most ridiculous for either of the governmens to come and say `I am not going to deal with any officials Abacha interview of the other government.'
If there is no contact, it is difficult to find any way that misunderstanding can mutually be resolved through dialogue. We in Nigeria, for many years, we have regarded America as a friend, and that's why in the past, until 1993, we had a very excellent relationship I myself was invited by General (Colin) Powell to visit the United States in Nigeria in 1992. So militarily, we had excellent relationship and politically and economically also.
And I recall that we as a nation, we went into Somalia, right from the onset. Not at the invitation of the United Nations or by the Organization of African Unity, but purely because of the excellent bilateral relationship between us and the United States. The United States was going into Somalia and invited us to join it. We did. So, we are really surprised with the attitude of the United States since 1993.

Q: What could be done to improve relations.

A: Air travel was direct between Lagos and New York and some other parts of the United States. But now people must go through London or Frankfurt, and that must increase their journey by God knows how many hours, and of course the financial cost of it is something that must be of concern. And we know that so many Nigerians in the United States, many students, have been coming to Nigeria, and there are a lot of Americans here in Nigeria, in the oil industry and so many other industries that have been traveling to the United States...Stopping the air linkage we find difficult to understand, because air communication is a very important element as far as economic and social relationship is concerned.
It is also important for the United States to recognize the relevance of Nigeria, if not to the entire African continent, at least in the West African subregion. I believe we have played a very positive role in Liberia. And President Clinton's envoy who is in charge of relations with Liberia, he has been coming here, contacting us. It is most ridiculous: The United States will come and talk to me as the head of state because of its interests in Liberia, and at the same time if there are other areas such the economic and social or political, they refuse. It looks like a one-sided sort of thing, and it doesn't look reasonable in the present circumstance.
The United States needs the cooperation of o ther countries to meet the objectives, the aspirations of seeing a continent and a world at peace...These unfortunbate incidents - like in Liberia, like in Angola, like in Somaila, like in Bosnia - cannot be resolved without the overall cooperation of various countries in various regions. I feel that there is a need for the United States to think about some of these policies as a great power.

Q: In the last month, there have been three bomb attacks on military personnel in Lagos. The other day, there was an apparent attempt to assasinate a senior official of NADECO (National Democratic Coalition, an opposition group). So the violence seems to be coming from both the left and the right of the political spectrum. Who, or what do you think is responsible?

A: I think there are people, quite a number of them outside Nigeria, who are being aided by external elements. I think they act out of frustration, because they have seen that government is succeeding.
In the past they said it was all a lie, that we were not going to do that thing. But they have seen that the transition is on course. The economy is getting healthier. Even prices of foodstuff are going down. The value of the currency has stabilized. There is order. People go about pursuing their legitimate interests. Then, what is the problem?
One reason we had to delay the local government election is because, in reports we received, these same peole were planning to go to various polling centers and start bombing innocent people. How can somebody who calls himself pro-democracy be anti-democracy? An innocent person, innocent citizen in Nigeria goes to a polling booth to cast his vote for a registered party or an individual and you call yopurself prodemocracy, wanting democracy and so on, to come and start planting bombs to undermine the process of democracy. People like (Nigerian poet) Wole Soyinka, they are terrorists. Unfortunately, these people are aided by some foreign elements, some NGOs (nongovernmental organizations). They claim they are for democracy, but they do not want democracy to succeed.

Q: How would like to be remembered?

A: For bringing peace, stabilty and democracy to Nigeria.

http://www.nigeriatoday.com/excerpts_from_an_interview_with_abacha_by_jo.htm
Re: Abacha's Rare Interview 1997 by Nobody: 10:18am On Sep 30, 2012
smiley

Re: Abacha's Rare Interview 1997 by Nobody: 9:48pm On Oct 02, 2012
smiley
GenBuhari: [size=18pt]Excerpts from an interview by John Corry, senior correspondent for the monthly American Spectator, with Gen. Sani Abacha.[/size]

Q: When you be came head of state in November 1993, what was the most difficult problem facing Nigeria?

A: I think the major problem was the unity and the stability of the nation itself, its territorial integrity and existence as it is. That was the major problem because there was even part of the country that was threatening to secede, and Nigerians who had lived their own lives in parts of the country different from their own ethnic origin were feeling threatened and...moving back into their own cultural locations. So, that was one of the most difficult challenges facing us - the unity, the stability of the country.

Q: Are you confident the transition process will be carried out on schedule in 1998?

A: Yes. My confidence is from the journey so far. After I came in, all that I promised so far has been carried out. It is now over three years. I promised a constitutional conference. It is history today. The draft constitution is there. And the draft constitution can only be promulgated by a democratic government. There must be a parliament or legislature to do that. The draft constitution...will wait until democracy comes into effect. So for now, we are using the old constitutional procedures.
I promised electoral processes and so on. Last year, we conducted local government elections on a nonparty basis, which were quite successful. We have put into place all the organs to make sure the transition process is implemented. The local government elections on a party basis will take place in this quarter. We have also completed the registration of political parties, another step in the program. After the local government election, there will be the states' gubernatorial election and also the state assembly election. Then come the National Assembly election and the presidential election. So everything is...going on course, and we pray it will continue.

Q: I know it's early, but would you consider running for president?

A: I am soldier, and I see my duty as an extension of my profession. I see my position today as an extension of my responsibility. When the crisis in this country started out, I was the most senior officer, and at that time, civilians and (presidential candidate Moshood K.O.) Abiola was one of them, were calling upon me, upon the military, to intervene. So, we intervened, and we were putiing things in order. We are doing our best. A military administration is not new in this country.

Q: The reason I ask: A number of people here say, we want this man to run.

A: They are always saying that, but the decision is mine, not theirs. And the decision is my own constituency's. It is not new in Africa, neither is it new in this subregion, where military people have stepped into politics. It depends on the circumstances, and I know that so far now, I have not put my mind to, never thought of it. What I am concerned about, where I concentrate my efforts, is making sure that everything is on course; that the political, the social, the economic programs we have succeed.

Q: The U.S and the British Commonwealth have criticized Nigeria for human rights violations, especially in the case of Ken Saro-Wiwa. What is your response?

A: The criticism of Nigeria on human rights is most unfair and unfortunate. The law of Nigeria condemned Ken Saro- Wiwa and he was hanged according to the law, just like other Nigerians who committed similar offenses in the past...Ken Saro-Wiwa was the one who organized and killed four other people. So, someone who commits murder and goes through the same legal process that has been in existence for many, many years, and is found guilty, that he should be exonerated or he should be set free is not reasonable just because he has international connections. A Human Rights Commission has recently been established here. It is headed by a retired chief justice of this country, and there hasn't been any interference from government...And everybody who is in detention, either he is awaiting trial or is awaiting investigation, depending on the nature of his offense.

Q: Chief Abiola is widely regarded as the winner of the election that (Gen. Ibrahim) Babangida annuled in 1993. Now, he is detained.

A: Abiola is not being detained just like that. There is a judicial process. If you are arraigned in Nigeria, you cannot expect it to be over yesterday. Abiola is not detained by me, but because he committed an offense. For one year after the election, he did what he liked. He was one of those who asked me to become head of state. And he also recommended people...and we gave them Cabinet appointment as ministers.

So how could somebody who even came and congratulated me - there are all the documents, the records are there, the video, the newspaper reporters, they were all there - and agreed also to cooperate and do everything, and even nominated people to participate in the same government, and only a few months later, starts talking of declaring himself president of this nation? That is the issue of Abiola.

Q: The US has decertified Nigeria as not cooperating sufficiently on drug-related matters. Why should Nigeria be recertified?

A: We believe that whatever we are doing is more in the interest of the United States than it is in the interest of Nigeria. We are not a transit for drugs going to the United States, because there is no way for us to be.
But we accept that there are a few Nigerians, like any other nationality, who are unfortunately misguided... and may be involved in this trade. But lately, the United States is unfairly acc using us of getting involved in this drug traffic just as a way of implementing their overall policy. We are not a producer of these drugs, we don't consume in this country. Which is why it is in our interest to act. We have seen the effect of drugs in the United States. We have seen the effect of drugs in Europe. And we don't believe it is in our interest to leave this thing alone. So, we believe it is in the interest of the United States, if there are some Nigerians involved in drug trafficking, for them to cooperate with us over drugs or money laundering or any other activities which are not in our social or economic interest. And also to recognize our own efforts to date and recertify Nigeria.

Q: How do you assess US-Nigerian relations today?

A: I think the American government does not face the reality of the Nigerian situation, because it is very difficult for Nigeria under the present stance of US government policy - the policy that says they will have nothing to do with government officials of Nigeria. But the American government has its own embassy here in Nigeria - it has not closed its embassy, neither has it recalled its ambassador - and Nigeria also has its own embassy in Washington and that establishes the recognition of the legitimacy of the administrations of the two governments. So, it is most ridiculous for either of the governmens to come and say `I am not going to deal with any officials Abacha interview of the other government.'
If there is no contact, it is difficult to find any way that misunderstanding can mutually be resolved through dialogue. We in Nigeria, for many years, we have regarded America as a friend, and that's why in the past, until 1993, we had a very excellent relationship I myself was invited by General (Colin) Powell to visit the United States in Nigeria in 1992. So militarily, we had excellent relationship and politically and economically also.
And I recall that we as a nation, we went into Somalia, right from the onset. Not at the invitation of the United Nations or by the Organization of African Unity, but purely because of the excellent bilateral relationship between us and the United States. The United States was going into Somalia and invited us to join it. We did. So, we are really surprised with the attitude of the United States since 1993.

A: Air travel was direct between Lagos and New York and some other parts of the United States. But now people must go through London or Frankfurt, and that must increase their journey by God knows how many hours, and of course the financial cost of it is something that must be of concern. And we know that so many Nigerians in the United States, many students, have been coming to Nigeria, and there are a lot of Americans here in Nigeria, in the oil industry and so many other industries that have been traveling to the United States...Stopping the air linkage we find difficult to understand, because air communication is a very important element as far as economic and social relationship is concerned.
It is also important for the United States to recognize the relevance of Nigeria, if not to the entire African continent, at least in the West African subregion. I believe we have played a very positive role in Liberia. And President Clinton's envoy who is in charge of relations with Liberia, he has been coming here, contacting us. It is most ridiculous: The United States will come and talk to me as the head of state because of its interests in Liberia, and at the same time if there are other areas such the economic and social or political, they refuse. It looks like a one-sided sort of thing, and it doesn't look reasonable in the present circumstance.
The United States needs the cooperation of o ther countries to meet the objectives, the aspirations of seeing a continent and a world at peace...These unfortunbate incidents - like in Liberia, like in Angola, like in Somaila, like in Bosnia - cannot be resolved without the overall cooperation of various countries in various regions. I feel that there is a need for the United States to think about some of these policies as a great power.

Q: In the last month, there have been three bomb attacks on military personnel in Lagos. The other day, there was an apparent attempt to assasinate a senior official of NADECO (National Democratic Coalition, an opposition group). So the violence seems to be coming from both the left and the right of the political spectrum. Who, or what do you think is responsible?

A: I think there are people, quite a number of them outside Nigeria, who are being aided by external elements. I think they act out of frustration, because they have seen that government is succeeding.
In the past they said it was all a lie, that we were not going to do that thing. But they have seen that the transition is on course. The economy is getting healthier. Even prices of foodstuff are going down. The value of the currency has stabilized. There is order. People go about pursuing their legitimate interests. Then, what is the problem?
One reason we had to delay the local government election is because, in reports we received, these same peole were planning to go to various polling centers and start bombing innocent people. How can somebody who calls himself pro-democracy be anti-democracy? An innocent person, innocent citizen in Nigeria goes to a polling booth to cast his vote for a registered party or an individual and you call yopurself prodemocracy, wanting democracy and so on, to come and start planting bombs to undermine the process of democracy. People like (Nigerian poet) Wole Soyinka, they are terrorists. Unfortunately, these people are aided by some foreign elements, some NGOs (nongovernmental organizations). They claim they are for democracy, but they do not want democracy to succeed.

http://www.nigeriatoday.com/excerpts_from_an_interview_with_abacha_by_jo.htm
smiley
Re: Abacha's Rare Interview 1997 by Nobody: 1:47am On Oct 14, 2012
[size=18pt]Q: When you be came head of state in November 1993, what was the most difficult problem facing Nigeria?

A: I think the major problem was the unity and the stability of the nation itself, its territorial integrity and existence as it is. That was the major problem because there was even part of the country that was threatening to secede, and Nigerians who had lived their own lives in parts of the country different from their own ethnic origin were feeling threatened and...moving back into their own cultural locations. So, that was one of the most difficult challenges facing us - the unity, the stability of the country.[/size]

Re: Abacha's Rare Interview 1997 by Nobody: 7:18pm On Oct 23, 2012
[size=18pt]Q: Are you confident the transition process will be carried out on schedule in 1998?

I promised electoral processes and so on. Last year, we conducted local government elections on a nonparty basis, which were quite successful. We have put into place all the organs to make sure the transition process is implemented. The local government elections on a party basis will take place in this quarter. We have also completed the registration of political parties, another step in the program. After the local government election, there will be the states' gubernatorial election and also the state assembly election. Then come the National Assembly election and the presidential election. So everything is...going on course, and we pray it will continue.[/size]

Re: Abacha's Rare Interview 1997 by engrfcuksmtin(m): 7:44pm On Oct 23, 2012
So poster what is your opinion about the interview can we remember him for Peace
Re: Abacha's Rare Interview 1997 by Nobody: 12:47am On Oct 24, 2012
^ My opinion is that many who have witnessed Abacha's competent leadership, would now be wishing he was still in power.
Re: Abacha's Rare Interview 1997 by engrfcuksmtin(m): 1:37pm On Oct 24, 2012
GenBuhari: ^ My opinion is that many who have witnessed Abacha's competent leadership, would now be wishing he was still in power.
Well there is no government that is not having its shortcomings. Abacha can never let go off bakassi, allow IMF to control our economy not to talk of the recent insult from Gabon.

1 Like

Re: Abacha's Rare Interview 1997 by Nobody: 1:11pm On Dec 13, 2012
smiley
Re: Abacha's Rare Interview 1997 by Nobody: 6:29pm On Feb 14, 2013
[size=18pt]Q: I know it's early, but would you consider running for president?

A: I am soldier, and I see my duty as an extension of my profession. I see my position today as an extension of my responsibility. When the crisis in this country started out, I was the most senior officer, and at that time, civilians and (presidential candidate Moshood K.O.) Abiola was one of them, were calling upon me, upon the military, to intervene. So, we intervened, and we were putiing things in order. We are doing our best. A military administration is not new in this country.[/size]

Re: Abacha's Rare Interview 1997 by tashanja(m): 11:12pm On Feb 14, 2013
Oboi, after reading these excerpts, I am thinking that history is slowly begining to exenorate this man; sure he made some mistakes but by today's standards, he is begining to smell like roses.
Re: Abacha's Rare Interview 1997 by Nobody: 12:11am On Feb 15, 2013
^^ Absolutely!!

Enemies of Nigeria had to assassinate him so that they could ruin Nigeria and they have succeeded.
Re: Abacha's Rare Interview 1997 by Nobody: 8:14am On Feb 15, 2013
Hahahahahahahahahahaha LWKMD!!
Ds Abacha, is he alright? He sounded like an ordinary Nigerian dat knows nxt to nothing abt governance.
Accusing saro-wiwa of murder and Soyinka of terrorism, while dismissing d NADECO as anti-democrats.
I give him credit for appointing Prof Aluko to manage d economy but Abacha ws nothing a leader should be. It can be gleaned from d interview dat d reporter was aware of d fact dat Abacha had a low IQ and interviewed him like a shrink wld, his patient.
Re: Abacha's Rare Interview 1997 by Nobody: 8:27am On Feb 15, 2013
Death was unfair to Abacha. World Court couldn't have made that Bakassi mistake!!

1 Like

Re: Abacha's Rare Interview 1997 by Mesico2(m): 8:55am On Feb 15, 2013
Gone too soon my great general. History will always remember and applause u for refusing to be a 'YES MAN' to all these foreign bastard countries. RIP the general.
Re: Abacha's Rare Interview 1997 by chosen04(f): 9:01am On Feb 15, 2013

So how could somebody who even came and congratulated me - there are all the documents, the records are there, the video, the newspaper reporters, they were all there - and agreed also to cooperate and do everything, and even nominated people to participate in the same government, and only a few months later, starts talking of declaring himself president of this nation? That is the issue of Abiola

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You mean that Abiola even sold his mandated to ABACHA and later wanted to retrieve it?

Typical Yoruba character..........Truly a character of a SW free education recipient indeed!

4 Likes

Re: Abacha's Rare Interview 1997 by Nobody: 9:09am On Feb 15, 2013
Na wa 2 una oo. Few years ago Abacha is a beast ,wicked, anti Christ. then after reading dis his fabricating false interview. Only if u guys know abacha too well. Abacha dat I know can convince a grown man to kill his mother with his sugar coated tongue. You guys are probably in primary school then. Just picture BABANGIDA in 100 places that's equals to ABACHA. If Abacha should become an Al queda commandant he can brainwash the whole world to go commit suicide.
Re: Abacha's Rare Interview 1997 by Nobody: 9:16am On Feb 15, 2013
chosen04: Q: Chief Abiola is widely regarded as the winner of the election that (Gen. Ibrahim) Babangida annuled in 1993. Now, he is detained.

So how could somebody who even came and congratulated me - there are all the documents, the records are there, the video, the newspaper reporters, they were all there - and agreed also to cooperate and do everything, and even nominated people to participate in the same government, and only a few months later, starts talking of declaring himself president of this nation? That is the issue of Abiola

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You mean that Abiola even sold his mandated to ABACHA and later wanted to retrieve it?

Typical Yoruba character..........Truly a character of a SW free education recipient indeed!
I'm not yoruba o, but if you can believe what Abacha said here ,then you can believe that Jesus Christ just landed in lagos with British Airways flight last night.

1 Like

Re: Abacha's Rare Interview 1997 by Ganys: 9:41am On Feb 15, 2013
The President with no Non sense cool
Re: Abacha's Rare Interview 1997 by chosen04(f): 10:13am On Feb 15, 2013
uihebom: I'm not yoruba o, but if you can believe what Abacha said here ,then you can believe that Jesus Christ just landed in lagos with British Airways flight last night.

Abacha wasn't known for lieing.......even if I fault him for other things, I will definitely not accuse him of lieing.......
Re: Abacha's Rare Interview 1997 by grafikii: 11:54am On Feb 15, 2013
Between the reterdeen and abacha I don't know who is more than stuppid, both of them are dumb and can't even make any sense out of the interview.
Re: Abacha's Rare Interview 1997 by Nobody: 1:34pm On Feb 15, 2013
[size=18pt]Q: The reason I ask: A number of people here say, we want this man to run.

So how could somebody who even came and congratulated me - there are all the documents, the records are there, the video, the newspaper reporters, they were all there - and agreed also to cooperate and do everything, and even nominated people to participate in the same government, and only a few months later, starts talking of declaring himself president of this nation? That is the issue of Abiola.[/size]
Re: Abacha's Rare Interview 1997 by slimghost(m): 4:23pm On Feb 15, 2013
Our leaders over the last decade make this guy look like a competent leader, actually, we wont mind having hi back!
Re: Abacha's Rare Interview 1997 by Nobody: 4:57pm On Feb 15, 2013
^ Abacha was actually a competent leader.
Re: Abacha's Rare Interview 1997 by slimghost(m): 4:59pm On Feb 15, 2013
GenBuhari: ^ Abacha was actually a competent leader.

Based on what we have paraded as leaders over the past decade, i agree with you
Re: Abacha's Rare Interview 1997 by Nobody: 4:59pm On Feb 15, 2013
[size=18pt]Q: The US has decertified Nigeria as not cooperating sufficiently on drug-related matters. Why should Nigeria be recertified?

[/size]
Re: Abacha's Rare Interview 1997 by Nobody: 5:39pm On Feb 15, 2013
[size=18pt]24th Novemeber 1993 - The New York Times
ABACHA OFFERS CONCESSIONS TO PRO-DEMOCRACY GROUPS, NAMES ABIOLA'S RUNNING MATE AS FOREIGN MINISTER[/size]

LAGOS, Nigeria, Nov. 23— The head of Nigeria's new military Government made a concession today to pro-democracy forces, naming the man apparently elected Vice President in June to be Foreign Minister.

Baba Gana Kingibe, a career diplomat who was the running mate of Moshood K. O. Abiola, a businessman, in the June presidential election, was named External Affairs Minister by Gen. Sani Abacha.

Gen. Ibrahim Babangida, the longtime military chief, voided the June election, apparently won by Mr. Abiola, and named an interim leader, who was ousted last week by General Abacha.

General Abacha also named a radical anti-Government lawyer as his Attorney General and the publisher of a respected independent newspaper as his Internal Affairs Minister. Generals or Police Officers

But the rest of his 11-man ruling junta are generals or police officials.

The appointment of Mr. Kingibe is an apparent effort to stanch growing international condemnation of Mr. Abacha's takeover of the Government and his decision to dissolve all the elected federal, state and local legislatures.

Mr. Abacha named Alex Ibru, the publisher of The Guardian, an independent Lagos newspaper, as Internal Affairs Minister.

Mr. Ibru is the first member of a southern ethnic group to hold the important position, which had been held by the politically dominant northern peoples. Voided Results of Election

Nigeria was plunged into civil and political turmoil after General Babangida, who took power in a 1985 coup with General Abacha's help, voided the results of the June election that was to restore democracy after a decade of military rule.

Mr. Abiola, the apparent winner and a member of the southern Yoruba ethnic group, was believed to have been opposed by the northern groups.

Mr. Babangida resigned under pressure on Aug. 26 and named a civilian supporter, Ernest Shonekan, as interim head of state.

Echoing promises made by the previous string of military rulers, General Abacha promised to rule only as long as it took to create a new constitution and move Nigeria to democracy.

The nation has been largely quiet this week, after a strike ended. The strike was called to protest major increases in fuel prices but was called off after increases were partly rolled back.

[size=18pt]5th December 1993 - The New York Times
Abiola's affable meeting with Abacha puzzles Nigeria[/size]
LAGOS, Nigeria, Nov. 30— Nearly two weeks after the coup that brought Gen. Sani Abacha to power, there still has not been a clear statement by Moshood Abiola whether he supports or plans to oppose the country's newest military rulers.

Mr. Abiola, who is presumed to have won last June's presidential elections, has been uncharacteristically reticent when asked to comment on the military's renewed grip on power. Mr. Abiola traveled to Britain last weekend, leaving many of his closest friends and advisers puzzled over his behavior.

The June 12 election was intended to return Nigeria to democracy, but Gen. Ibrahim Babangida, the previous military ruler prior to General Abacha, declared the results void. Since then, Mr. Abiola has loudly and persistently insisted that he is Nigeria's democratically elected leader and has begun an aggressive campaign in the courts to overturn General Babangida's decree, as well as giving tacit approval to protests aimed at restoring the vote.

Mr. Abiola's recent lack of candor is particularly striking given his well publicized monthlong tour last summer to several European capitals and to Washington where he asked Nigeria's traditional allies and aid donors to impose sanctions against the country's military leaders. He argued then that the military's iron grip over virtually every aspect of party politics here was inherently undemocratic and potentially explosive, given Nigeria's long-simmering ethnic and religious rivalries.

Mr. Abiola received widespread encouragement from Western politicians, particularly the Congressional Black Caucus in the United States, which publicly supported his effort.

"We are obviously disappointed that the leader of the June 12th process has not been as forthcoming as one would think he should be," said Olisa Abukuba, president of the Civil Liberties Organization, a Lagos-based pro-democracy group. Mr. Abukuba, in fact, speculated that Mr. Abiola may have "advance knowledge of events that led up to the coup and there was some kind of deal in exchange for his report of the Abacha Government."

Jonathan Zwingina, Mr. Abiola's campaign manager, said in an interview that the position of the industrialist is "unequivocal," meaning that he continues to support efforts to put the results of last June's elections into effect.

"Abiola's surrender. Why?" asked a front-page headline in The African Guardian, Nigeria's largest weekly. The article described how Mr. Abiola has bickered with pro-democracy leaders over whether it was still worth fighting the military over its decision to annul the June 12th elections.

According to another account that appeared in some newspapers here, Mr. Abiola had secretly plotted with General Abacha to overthrow the interim, military-backed government of Ernest Shonekan. According to this scenario, General Abacha, once securely installed, would gradually hand over power to Mr. Abiola's closest associates and eventually relinquish the presidency to Mr. Abiola himself.

Whatever the case, pro-democracy leaders were still stunned when, several days after General Abacha's coup, Mr. Abiola was seen on national television conferring with the new military leader. And judging from the affable smiles and laughter between the two men as they left the meeting, whatever political differences they may have had seemed to have been resolved.

"I consider it quite upsetting that Abiola, the leader of a democratic movement, should be one of those paying courtesies to Abacha," said Dr. Peter Ferriera, a former military officer who is active in the pro-democracy movement. "The impression one gets is that he sold out, that he's now one of them."

Significantly, the next day, Mr. Abiola's former Vice Presidential running mate, Baba Gana Kingibe, joined the new military administration as its chief diplomat. Mr. Abiola, questioned later, said the move had his blessing.

After ousting Mr. Shonekan on Nov. 17, General Abacha dissolved the legislature and all other forms of elected government. So far, he has given no hint of if or when Nigeria might return to elected civilian rule.

Re: Abacha's Rare Interview 1997 by Ademurph1(m): 7:16pm On Feb 15, 2013
R.I.P General, Nigerian miss you so much and will never forget you for your RIGID ADMINISTRATION...
Re: Abacha's Rare Interview 1997 by Nobody: 1:03am On Feb 17, 2013
[size=13pt]Q: How do you assess US-Nigerian relations today?

It is also important for the United States to recognize the relevance of Nigeria, if not to the entire African continent, at least in the West African subregion. I believe we have played a very positive role in Liberia. And President Clinton's envoy who is in charge of relations with Liberia, he has been coming here, contacting us.

It is most ridiculous: The United States will come and talk to me as the head of state because of its interests in Liberia, and at the same time if there are other areas such the economic and social or political, they refuse. It looks like a one-sided sort of thing, and it doesn't look reasonable in the present circumstance.
[/size]
Re: Abacha's Rare Interview 1997 by omenka(m): 11:03am On Feb 17, 2013
grafikii: Between the reterdeen and abacha I don't know who is more than stuppid, both of them are dumb and can't even make any sense out of the interview.

If you can't make any sense out of the inteview then you are dumber than the retardeen himself!
Re: Abacha's Rare Interview 1997 by ibide(m): 3:40pm On Feb 17, 2013
The intesion of every body to rule the country at thesame time is the root of our problem
Re: Abacha's Rare Interview 1997 by Nobody: 4:13pm On Feb 17, 2013
[size=15pt]Q: In the last month, there have been three bomb attacks on military personnel in Lagos. The other day, there was an apparent attempt to assasinate a senior official of NADECO (National Democratic Coalition, an opposition group). So the violence seems to be coming from both the left and the right of the political spectrum. Who, or what do you think is responsible?

One reason we had to delay the local government election is because, in reports we received, these same people were planning to go to various polling centers and start bombing innocent people. How can somebody who calls himself pro-democracy be anti-democracy? An innocent person, innocent citizen in Nigeria goes to a polling booth to cast his vote for a registered party or an individual and you call yourself pro-democracy, wanting democracy and so on, to come and start planting bombs to undermine the process of democracy. People like (Nigerian poet) Wole Soyinka, they are terrorists. Unfortunately, these people are aided by some foreign elements, some NGOs (non-governmental organizations). They claim they are for democracy, but they do not want democracy to succeed.

[/size]

(1) (Reply)

Refineries: FG Targets 90% Production Capacity By 2014 / Why Do Many Nigerians, Including Educated Ones, Show Inferior Mentality? / Personal Opinion. Igbos Do Not Have Any Reason To Support Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 159
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.