Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,555 members, 7,770,437 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 10:40 AM

Should I Study Industrial Mathematics? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Should I Study Industrial Mathematics? (13617 Views)

What Job Opportunity -engineering Vs Industrial Mathematics / UNIBEN Industrial Mathematics / What Course Can I Study With This Waec Result? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Study Industrial Mathematics? by P3trCruzZ(m): 8:14pm On Mar 17, 2012
Please Fellow N/landers,I was admitted to study Industrial Mathematics. I want your ideas please,should i accept it and what are the job opportunities.Because i dont want any regrets at last.Thank you all.
Re: Should I Study Industrial Mathematics? by tanimola22: 1:03pm On Mar 18, 2012
Sorry this is coming late. Industrial math at Delsu? I particularly love industrial mathematics, that I must let you know. Unfortunately the school I graduated from did not offer it in my time.

Industrial mathematics has plenty interesting modules and, depending on the quality of the institution that admitted you, you will study courses that cut across pure math, applied math, statistics and computing. Some industrial math departments are known to force their students to take courses in economics, finance and actuarial science. Obviously, all these courses will make you a well rounded person upon graduation. With the diverse background which you are going to get, you will be able to go into any profession in the future, whether it is engineering, economics, finance, physics, computing, your options are just wide. People with industrial mathematics skills are particularly needed in fields like finance and economics.

However, the above counsel is heavily dependent on the assumption that you are smart (not necessarily being an A1 parallel student), you did well in your O'level, your physics and further math are up to speed, and you are generally not a struggling science student. If you do not satisfy these criteria, then please don't go for the course. Bear in mind that you are not just going there to study industrial math, you are going there to get the best possible grade! Most, not all, math graduates are generally disadvantaged if they did not do too well at school. There is no need hiding the fact from a newbie like you. Work at ensuring that you are one of the very top students in your class. You have a clean slate with no regrets yet. Do your best.

I know one of the junior lecturers at that department in Delsu. He got an A3 in WAEC math, but went ahead and graduated best as Delsu. I think you can replicate his achievement, but you must be smart and hard working O.

Finally, there are always avenues to compete for jobs if you studied a course as quantitative as industrial math. Job opportunity is no problem. Mr.Olowoparija, one of the directors at an oil commission where I had a one year stint, studied industrial math. There are many other people that I can't list their names. Just go to the school and do very very very well. That should be your main goal now. Get all the marks in your first year, and keep on building on your achievements.

T22

4 Likes

Re: Should I Study Industrial Mathematics? by P3trCruzZ(m): 9:12am On Mar 20, 2012
smiley Thanks a lot for the info and advice.I appreciate
Re: Should I Study Industrial Mathematics? by tanimola22: 1:38pm On Mar 20, 2012
P3tr CruzZ: smiley Thanks a lot for the info and advice.I appreciate

No problems mate.

1 Like

Re: Should I Study Industrial Mathematics? by vikas11233(m): 8:09am On Jun 12, 2012
Industrial mathematics is a well-established field within the mathematical sciences community. Every four years there is an International Congress on Industrial and Applied Mathematics. In 2003 it was held in Sydney Australia, in 2007 it was held in Zurich Switzerland, and in 2011 in will be held in Vancouver. Here Industry refers to all sectors of manufacturing and service, including business and engineering.

Industrial mathematics is a branch of applied mathematics, but where the latter can include theoretical topics from physics, biology, economics and computer science for example, industrial mathematics focusses on problems which come from industry and aims for solutions which are relevant to industry, including finding the most efficient (i.e., cost-effective) way to solve the problem. With the increasing complexity and sophistication of modern industry, personnel who are able to understand technical issues, who are able to formulate precise and accurate mathematical models, who can implement solutions using the latest computer techniques, and who can convey these ideas to their co-workers who may be managers, engineers, etc, are becoming a necessary part of many organizations and companies. Examples of areas in industry that industrial mathematicians can find employment are signal processing, computer graphics, risk management, system reliability, software testing and verification, database systems, production line optimization, and marketing research (see the Applied Mathematics Resources web page for career information). Finding the Area of a Circle
Re: Should I Study Industrial Mathematics? by AjanleKoko: 9:21am On Jun 12, 2012
I think you should go for it. The opportunities have no boundaries. Plus, it's better to do your undergraduate degree and be done with it, rather than being stuck with the endless UME-admissions parole.

In high school, math and physics were my best subjects. I think if I had known what I know today (which is impossible anyways!) back when I was going to uni, I'd have studied something like industrial mathematics or applied physics. Instead, as a result of family and peer pressure, I studied electrical engineering, all the way to postgraduate level.

I would have preferred to spend one year less for undergraduate study, and had the luxury of options. Rather, with a masters degree in electronic engineering, I felt obligated to work as an electrical engineer. If I had studied math, I could have opted for finance, actuarial science, or even the IT that I ended up working in. In fact I could have done them all.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Study Industrial Mathematics? by yamakuza: 10:07am On Jun 12, 2012
^ A lot of people know that nowadays, but they still dont do it that way because of the prestige factor.

I think its a "betta pas my neighbor" mentality

its so evident in the recent UME stats. The number of people who applied for the cool courses vs the not so cool ones.

Maybe govt should provide automatic scholarships for some of those courses to boost their uptake.
Re: Should I Study Industrial Mathematics? by Princeseun2: 2:29pm On Jun 15, 2013
Please I have 2 credit and I'm about o write gce, can i go for industrial mathematics @futa or for another course??
Re: Should I Study Industrial Mathematics? by mrdrizzy(m): 12:00am On Aug 21, 2014
hello guyz i'm also a student of delsu "philosophist" and my kid bro was opted to industrial maths by the sch.. I want to knw if dis course is actually worth it..nd nt regretful or should he jst do d next jamb-post utme ish
Re: Should I Study Industrial Mathematics? by bellofaruk48: 10:51am On Sep 20, 2014
FEDERAL UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY, MINNA CENTRE FOR OPEN DISTANCE AND E-LEARNING (CODeL) DEPARTMENT OF MATHEMATICS AND STATISTICS SCHOOL OF SCIENCE AND SCIENCE EDUCATION (SSSE)

CURRICULUM OF DEPARTMENT OF MATHEMATICS AND STATISTICS WITH OPTIONS IN:
B. Tech Mathematics (Industrial)
B. Tech Mathematics (Pure and Applied)
B. Tech Mathematics (Statistics)
INTRODUCTION
The Department of Mathematics and Statistics offer courses leading to the following degrees:
B. Tech Mathematics (Industrial).
B. Tech Mathematics (Pure and Applied)
B. Tech Mathematics (Statistics).
The programme which takes five years to complete is designed to expose students to the main areas of Pure and Industrial mathematics and Statistics. It will create in the students the propensity for analytical thinking and illuminate the crucial relationship between mathematics / statistics and other areas of applied science. Upon graduation, students would have acquired enough knowledge and skill to be able to function as practicing professionals.
We also offer M. Tech. and Ph.D courses in Mathematics as well as a PGD programme in Statistics.
PHILOSOPHY
The programme aspires to raise the Mathematical / Statistical capabilities and capacities of the students so that they would be able to explore and effectively transform the natural resources of their environments into goods and services. Specifically, the programme aspires to nurture to maturity and excellence students who would be researchers/operators in the field of Pure and Industrial Mathematics and Statistics. The graduates should be employable in any part of the world bearing in mind the current trend of globalization especially relevant to the fields of Mathematics and Statistics.
VISION
To be a leading academic department of excellence that will train students who will apply information technology in the field of Mathematics/Statistics for learning and research.
MISSION
To produce highly motivated and enterprising graduates with up-to-date knowledge and skills in Mathematics/Statistics for research, and application purposes. wink
Re: Should I Study Industrial Mathematics? by ClarJam: 8:32am On Feb 07, 2019
Industrial mathematicians apply statistical models, formulas and other mathematical tools to help the requirements of businesses. Their work guides aspects of the industry for example manufacturing, shipments, transportation, marketing and also financing. If you look for a career in industrial or applied mathematics, you will require computer skills, the ability to handle projects and connect in an industrial setting, and skills in business structure.

Industrial Mathematics Jobs

- Systems Engineers
- Operations Research Analysts
- Financial Analysts
- Statisticians
- Actuaries

Some topics in pure mathematics you have to take in industrial mathematics

Algebra - for example, equations
Geometry - for example, area of a circle and polygons
Data and Statistics

(1) (Reply)

Where Is Jamb Office Located In Ph? / Delsu Admission 2013/2014 / Jamb--drop The Cut-off Mark For Each Schools Here 2011/2012

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.