Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,127 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:46 PM

A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names (41105 Views)

Masquerade At Burial Of Traditional Ruler. Nnewi / Post Pictures Of Traditional Weddings. / Igbo Names & Their Meanings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by odumchi: 10:30pm On Mar 31, 2012
Here are some names:

Ejiofor (general Igbo) - the one who holds the staff?
Ovi (Aro) - ?
Okoroji (general Igbo) - strong/powerful/prominent man
Oji/Orji (general Igbo) - a great tree (oke osisi)/short for "Okoroji"
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by odumchi: 11:18pm On Apr 06, 2012
After some inquiring, I finally figured out what Aniche means.

Aniche/Anicho/Aliche/Alicho (Aro) - a different land or a place other than one's fatherland. *Oftentimes, males born outside of their father's ancestral homes were given this name*

1 Like

Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by Yujin(m): 3:12am On Apr 11, 2012
Izoka - Izo(a traditional god) supercedes.
Alagbaoso - The earth does not run away
Mgbekye(orumba dialect) - one born on the ekye day. female
Ikpendu - Judgement of life
Alaebo - the earth should not impose
Onwusuru - death is an impediment
Alamanjo - the earth knows a crime
More to come.
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by odumchi: 6:25am On Apr 11, 2012
Yujin: Izoka - Izo(a traditional god) supercedes.
Alagbaoso - The earth does not run away
Mgbekye(orumba dialect) - one born on the ekye day. female
Ikpendu - Judgement of life
Alaebo - the earth should not impose
Onwusuru - death is an impediment
Alamanjo - the earth knows a crime
More to come.

Thank you very much for these names.
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by odumchi: 6:11am On May 28, 2012
My people, let's revive this beautiful thread. There are many more names that remain. let's think of them lest we forget them.
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by odumchi: 6:26am On May 28, 2012
Ivuaku (Aro) - a future of wealth

Okoro (Aro) - a male born on Orie market day

Ogbondah (Ikwerre) - the father's namesake
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by NRIPRIEST(m): 4:32pm On May 29, 2012
I miss this thread.
Nmilimma= Beautiful stream.
Elilinma=Beautiful thread.
Adaugo=Daughter of pride[eagles daughter]
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by AndreUweh(m): 5:06pm On May 29, 2012
Omasiridi-Husband's delight.
Ugodi-Husbsands pride.
Ogbedi-Husband's protector
Oyiridi-Husband's look alike
Uredi-Husband's gallery.
There are so many of this names in my Igbo area. The women who bear this names were not born with it. They swithed to this nmes upon marriage.
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:45am On Jun 02, 2012
Nkpulunma= Seed of beauty
Ebunyiego=eternal wealth
Nnoduka=Relaxation is great
Okwunwa=Child desires
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by odumchi: 1:26am On Jun 02, 2012
Thanks guys smiley

More names please.
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by NRIPRIEST(m): 3:36am On Jun 02, 2012
Afunwa=Behold a child.
Udokwu=peaceful thoughts
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by odumchi: 10:17pm On Jun 13, 2012
Ikoku (Aro) - I have no strength for quarrelling.
Ejiovor (Aro) - the one who holds the ancestral staff.
Olejurumulo (Aro) - how many do I have in my household.
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by ChinenyeN(m): 12:21am On Jun 14, 2012
odumchi: Ikoku (Aro) - I have no strength for quarrelling.
Ejiovor (Aro) - the one who holds the ancestral staff.
Olejurumulo (Aro) - how many do I have in my household.
It's interesting. We have basically the exact same name, except we wouldn't translate/connote it in the exact same way.
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:58am On Jun 14, 2012
Oyagulu=oye market day has claimed the child....This is my grandmothers name......Iyom ego, ekeneem gi oke nwanyi!!
Odenigbo=great man in Igboland.
Osakwe=If the gods accept.
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by odumchi: 1:12am On Jun 14, 2012
ChinenyeN:
It's interesting. We have basically the exact same name, except we wouldn't translate/connote it in the exact same way.

Really? That's really interesting. If I may ask, what do you guys translate it to?

Odenigbo Aroli: Oyagulu=oye market day has claimed the child....This is my grandmothers name......Iyom ego, ekeneem gi oke nwanyi!!
Odenigbo=great man in Igboland.
Osakwe=If the gods accept.

Ahh. Thanks a bundle, Aroli. You know, the funny thing is, in my head I translated your name as 'One who writes in Igbo'. I actually forgot this other meaning. Thanks for the refreshing names.
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by ChinenyeN(m): 2:20am On Jun 14, 2012
odumchi: Really? That's really interesting. If I may ask, what do you guys translate it to?
Olenjurulo - How many could ever be sufficient for a home? (female name; expressing the desire of having more daughters)
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by OdenigboAroli(m): 2:46am On Jun 14, 2012
Odum,nsogbu adiro; I can see why some ppl will misunderstand "ode" because it also means "to write".However,the words "ude" and "ode" also means "braveness" and "greatness" in Igbo but context of speech will determine the meaning of these words...Igbo lang. is very tricky. "Ode" can also mean "roar" or "sound" as in music depending on context... Now I see why Chinua Achebe was advocating to keep our dialects!
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by OdenigboAroli(m): 3:12am On Jun 14, 2012
Anagboso=The land remain unmoved.
Chikwado=The gods supports.
Obadike=Entrance to greatness.
Nzelu=To be saved.
Udegbuna=May my greatness not bring me death.
Alobuike=Ideas are strenght.
Omennu=Great doer.

Odenjinji Aroli,akpokuo ife na ejelu Umu-Igbo ozi....Osingo esizina maka nwa Ide ewelugo UGO !
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by odumchi: 3:19am On Jun 14, 2012
ChinenyeN:
Olenjurulo - How many could ever be sufficient for a home? (female name; expressing the desire of having more daughters)

This shows how the meaning of that name is very flexible. Thanks again.
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by odumchi: 3:31am On Jun 14, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli: Odum,nsogbu adiro; I can see why some ppl will misunderstand "ode" because it also means "to write".However,the words "ude" and "ode" also means "braveness" and "greatness" in Igbo but context of speech will determine the meaning of these words...Igbo lang. is very tricky. "Ode" can also mean "roar" or "sound" as in music depending on context... Now I see why Chinua Achebe was advocating to keep our dialects!

Igbo really is tricky. The main reason I didn't catch the meaning of 'Odenigbo' was because the word 'ode' simply doesn't exist in my dialect. The Aro form of that name would be 'Amamanigbo' since the Aro word for fame/greatness is 'amama'.
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:23pm On Jun 14, 2012
Odumchi,does "amama" also mean famous or a popular person because that is what it mean in Idenmili dialect? You said "ode" doesnt exist in Aro but ARONDIZUOGU use the word alot.....I guess they have influences from Anambra groups....less I forget,does AROCHUKWU celebrate IKEJI like the IZUOGU ppl?
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by odumchi: 1:27pm On Jun 14, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli: Odumchi,does "amama" also mean famous or a popular person because that is what it mean in Idenmili dialect? You said "ode" doesnt exist in Aro but ARONDIZUOGU use the word alot.....I guess they have influences from Anambra groups....less I forget,does AROCHUKWU celebrate IKEJI like the IZUOGU ppl?

Yes, it can also mean a famous/popular person. It's also interesting that it exists in Idenmili.

When I said Aro I was really referring to Arochukwu since that's the only Aro community that still speaks the original Aro dialect. All other Aro communities (like Arondiziogu, Aro Ajalli, and etc) have been influenced by the dialects of their neighbors. And yes Izuogu people celebrate Ikeji like the Arochukwu people. In fact, Izuogu's Ikeji was brought over from Arochukwu. However, there are slight difference such as the type of masquerades used (Izuogu uses nmanwu while Arochukwu uses ekpo).
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by OdenigboAroli(m): 4:16pm On Jun 14, 2012
Odumchi,daalu,nwanne.

Nwude=child of fame\great child.
Muolokwu=thought of the spirit.
Ubanagu=hungry of riches.
Ezinne=good mother.
Okwuoyibo=foreign words.
Ojiugo=white kolanut...usually given to light skin female children.
Okwuigbo=Igbo words\thoughts.
Nwanoluo=may the child live.
Otumoye=done on orie\oye market day.
Akukwe=If wealth permits.
Ofunne=same lineage.
Chiesaa=the gods answered.
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by odumchi: 6:39am On Jun 16, 2012
Odenigbo,

Nsogbu adighi.
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by tayolumi(f): 3:24pm On Jun 27, 2012
Hi! Can anyone please tell me the meaning of the Igbo name 'Naetochukwu'?
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by Afam4eva(m): 3:26pm On Jun 27, 2012
tayolumi: Hi! Can anyone please tell me the meaning of the Igbo name 'Naetochukwu'?
Naetochukwu means "Be praising God"
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by Chimaaba: 1:20pm On May 12, 2013
This thread should not die abeg.

A list or archive of precolonial, or uncorrupted/unanglicized names will aid our diaspora, and our children's children.

The inceptor of this thread is very great.

- from a diasporan Igbo

Igbo kwenu!

1 Like

Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by odumchi: 3:12pm On May 12, 2013
Here are more names:

Ozulumba (Northern Igbo; male) - satisfies the entire people.
Duru (Owere area; male) - I don't know.
Iheanaetu (Owere area; male) - what people want.
Okoko (Ikwere; male) - male born on Eke market day.
Nnamdi/Nnamno (General Igbo; male) - I have a father.
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by OdenigboAroli(m): 10:18pm On May 12, 2013
Onwudiwe=death holds anger.
Okwuora=the word of the people.
Izuora=the wish of the people grin
Ajaegbo= sacrifices saved the day.
Ogbogu=the one that stopped the fight\brought peace.
Ezeoba=The king of yam barn.
Onyeogu=A man of battle.
Nnaemeka=Father has done well.
Ikemerike=My strenght is enormous.
Ifeodu=Something made of ivory\A beautiful child.
Ikeora=Strenght of the people.
Ijego=Walk of riches.

Idenmili axis Igbo.
Deme nu.
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by ifyalways(f): 11:41pm On May 12, 2013
Onwubiko = A plea for death to look the other way. cry
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by ella00: 5:03pm On Aug 03, 2013
Beautiful igbo pple please wats the meaning of the name 'Kafindu' and 'kamnolu' thanks in adv
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by OdenigboAroli(m): 8:27pm On Aug 03, 2013
ella00: Beautiful igbo pple please wats the meaning of the name 'Kafindu' and 'kamnolu' thanks in adv

I believe "Kamnolu" means may I live. Deme.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Alaafin Of Oyo, Lamidi Adeyemi Night Burial As Per Yoruba Ìṣẹ̀ṣe Religious Rites / Anambra Man Laments Killing Of Pythons [PHOTOS] / Olubadan And His Wives Board A First Class Train In London. PICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.