Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,214 members, 7,818,724 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:01 PM

A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names (41030 Views)

Masquerade At Burial Of Traditional Ruler. Nnewi / Post Pictures Of Traditional Weddings. / Igbo Names & Their Meanings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by BlackPikiN(m): 5:29pm On Mar 18, 2012
odumchi:

Enyi Ndaa?

M'huru ozi gi kama o dighi'm na aka. O dighi na ike'm igosi moderator ozo otu o si aru oru ya. Asi na omere ebe a m'gara ima ihe m'ga eme.
Imeela.

I weghi nsogbu.
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by ifyalways(f): 6:05pm On Mar 18, 2012
Nice thread. . .though not without the nld Igbo thread signature,lots of fvckery and madness.

@Topic,
Chukwunonso
Tochi
Chito
My favorite Igbo male names,aha umu m.lol
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by odumchi: 6:44pm On Mar 18, 2012
kelz88: I think it depends on how you pronounce it. Could mean it wasn't me who did it, or it was me who did it (I did it). What a name.

You're very correct.
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by odumchi: 6:52pm On Mar 18, 2012
BlackPikiN: What does Achibong mean in IGBO.
I don see Igbo people wey dey answer Achibong and Bassey.

Bassey is just another way to write 'Obasi' or 'Obassey' which means God.

As for Achibong, I've never heard it but I'm guessing it could possibly mean 'leader of kings' since 'obong' means king in Ibibio and 'achi' means 'lead'. Lol this is only a guess it's unlikely that it means that tho.

@Ify

Thanks a bundle for your names. Could you supply us with more names particularly older ones? smiley
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by NRIPRIEST(m): 7:25pm On Mar 18, 2012
onye_ngbu*:

Now I can confirm we both are from Oji Igwurube Okodu!

Odonye kam kenelu ? Obu nwa Okodueee!
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by Cuteobi(f): 7:30pm On Mar 18, 2012
Onuorah-onitsha and delta region-voice of d pple
Ihuoma-Imo I guess-Favour
Olisaemeka-onitsha-God has done well
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by NRIPRIEST(m): 7:53pm On Mar 18, 2012
odumchi:

Nri, my friend, thanks for your contribution. I'm guessing these are in Idenmil?

Nwanne,you are right. Those are Idenmili names and Umuoji precisely. And those are precolonial names.
Please guys we will appreciate it if you put translation along with the names you posted.

Ekegbo=saved/delivered on EKE day.
Nwona=child of jewels.
Udeofia=fame of the forest.
Anato=may the land glorify.
Nnebuenyi=mother is great/supreme.
Nwaodu=child of wealth/child of ivory.
Chiesa/ her God answered her.
Egwuatu=not afraid.
Onyilimba=great in the town/a strong man in the town/one who defies the rule of a town; especialy,a foreign man.
Okwueze= kingly speech.
Nwaogwa(my beautiful cousins name)=the one used to crown my joy.
Onoenyi=the one on the throne.
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by NRIPRIEST(m): 8:14pm On Mar 18, 2012
KenGali: Interesting thread, for me am writing down the names I have not been able to figure out there meaning, hoping someone might supply it:
1. Iromaka
2. Otubelu
3. Ehe-ye: this is really not a name, but a pet name for mothers. Every one called my late grandmother by that but none of them could tell me the meaning. I think the expression is from Nanka.
4. Mgbeke - I know "eke" but not the "mgbe", or could it simply mean time?
5. Apakata
6. Ezeudu
7. Ezeanaka

Then my most favourite female Igbo name:
"Mmasinachi" - this Beauty from God. Do not give a girl this name if she is not extremely beautiful, else!

@ NRI Priest
Ikemba means "the Strength of a Nation or People"

Ikemba can also mean "fame in a foreign land.
Mmasinachi is a very cool name for a girl and I will keep it in mind.
Otube is a short form of "otubelu na anya nnia". my mother said that its some howhow disrespectful to bear the name while your father is still alive! In actual sense it mean"one who achieved greatness before the watchful eyes of his father". It actually an "OZO" name mostly given to wealthy people when they take the Ozo title. I know a man from Okodu who bears it and he gat some maddt dough."Ezeanaka" is actually another Ozo name and so is "Ezeudu".
Most of the names you posted are actually Ozo title names.
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by NRIPRIEST(m): 8:29pm On Mar 18, 2012
watchme:
Obiangeriaku - (Mbaise) Born to enjoy wealth
Anayochukwu. - (Mbaise)keep praying to God
Uzochukwudinma - ". The way of God is good
Kasarachi. ". Talk to God
Mkpauba. ". I have wealth
Nwakaego. ". Child is greater than wealth
Obilo. ". Calm heart
Onuoha. ". Mouth of the community
Madufo. ".
Odoemena. ". it should not happen again
Anaele. ". Keep on watching
Oguike. ". Strong peace
Mgbaahuruike. ". Till
Abananobi
Ndaulo.
Onyekwere. ". No body beleived
Onyegecha. ". No body can lister to all
Egekeze. ". Only listens to the king
Onyeogwu. ". Person of herb medicines
Ogadinma. It will be ok
Ezewuiro. ". Kingship
Ajuzieogu
Ozobia
Ohashiebula
Ukwunna. ". Leg of the father
Akuchie. "

I am sure when you said "Obiangeriaku" is Mbaise I know you mean the pronouciation and the spelling and not the actual name. Becase, Obiageliaku(Anambra/Enugu)/Obiangeriaku(Mbaise) is a widely known ancient Igbo female name with a good meaning and its still being used up till date.
Akuchie= when wealth crowns.
Ozobia= well,this could mean two things depending on who is naming. It could mean; "may another come" or "born into Ozo family/Ozo has arrived".
Mmadufo=may one live.
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by Emary(f): 8:53pm On Mar 18, 2012
Please can someone translate the name "Ngenchi" possibly from Awka?
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by NRIPRIEST(m): 8:57pm On Mar 18, 2012
Cuteobi: Onuorah-onitsha and delta region-voice of d pple
Ihuoma-Imo I guess-Favour
Olisaemeka-onitsha-God has done well

This is actually my first time of hearing "Onuora" and "Olisaemeka" is exclusive to Onicha and Delta regions; Anyways,for record purposes the two namea are used very commonly amongst Enugu,Anambra,Imo,Ebonyi and Anioma.
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by odumchi: 10:24pm On Mar 18, 2012
@Nri thanks.

Here are some more names:

Akaejiakpaku (general Igbo)- the hand used to accumulate wealth.
Okoronkwo (Southern and Eastern Igbo) - male born on Nkwo day.
Nnagwu (Aro) - hmm...
Nnachi (Aro/Edda) - native doctor
Illeoma (Edda) - good/beautiful thing
Okereke (Southern and Eastern Igbo) - male born on Eke.
Oti/Ota (Aro) - I don't know this...
Ezinta (Aro) - good hunter
Ugwuogo (Aro) - the honor of a village
Nlenanya (Wider Igbo) - observation/ just looking
Nwosu (wider Igbo) - offspring of an osu?
Obia (Aro) - stranger
Ariga (Aro) - small or skinny
Iroabuchi (Aro) - my enemy is not my God
Njideka (wider Igbo) - What I have is greader
Ogbuagu (wider Igbo) - leopard killer (brave man)
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by NRIPRIEST(m): 10:52pm On Mar 18, 2012
ChinenyeN: See how easily some people just neglect protocol. Odumchi, did you not ask for [Name (Origin) - Meaning]?

I didnt even pay attention to that..lol
For the records; all the names posted by "NRI PRIEST" are all traditional/precolonial names from Idenmili/Umuoji axis of the Igbo dialects.
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by fesse(f): 10:46am On Mar 19, 2012
Ikemenogu.......You don't fight your in-law/don't carry fight to your in-laws place
Ohalete.........Let the public see
Iwuoha.........Community law
Ibezimako.........learnt from friends failures
Iwuji...............The law that guides yam
Duru......... A follower
Lemchi...........Look upto God
Onyemaechi...........Who knows tommorrow
Obiwune...............A brother's good heart/spirit
Chimobi............God knows my heart
Udodi.................There is peace
Chijiagor..........God testifies for me
Mgbechikwere..........When it pleases God

etc.
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by afm4ever(m): 3:47pm On Mar 19, 2012
publisher: Amunna = Father's blockos grin
ur very funny o
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by odumchi: 11:00pm On Mar 19, 2012
Here's more:

Mgboro (Aro/Ihechiowa) - girl born on Orie market day. Arochukwu doesn't answer 'Mgborie'.
Okorò (Aro) - a boy born on Orie market day. Arochukwu people say 'Okorò' instead of 'Okoró'. The name is pronounced 'Oko-o-rò' rather than 'Oko-ro'.
Okpunma (Edda/Eastern Igbo) - a blacksmith or metal forger.
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by NRIPRIEST(m): 6:08am On Mar 22, 2012
Chinwuba=wealth belongs to God.
Chukwuanu=God has heard.
Ezeluo=when the king arrives.
Akpaniteaku=when wealth grows.
Offordile=A powerul staff.
Ezelagbo=one who inherites a certain lineage.

Representing Idenmili axis Igbo!
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by NANYA1887(f): 1:41pm On Mar 29, 2012
Lovely contributions everyone. I had to bookmark this page cuz I'l like to refer to it for help with names when I start having my kids (in the nearest future hopefullywink ) So here's my humble contribution:

NWABUNDO - child is shelter literally but it could also mean My child is my shelter

Its a lovely deep name and its not so popular anymore.
P.S its also my name grin
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by ifyalways(f): 2:24pm On Mar 29, 2012
Rofl @ Mgboro.I'm not sure i would bear such a name oh,hoha.Forgive me but its too mgbekelicious and trust me,i have one mgbeke name like that too,from Aro,nne m ochie gave me that.I would force myself to smile when she calls me by that name but fight anyone else that dared to mention that name anywhere close to me.

She died and that name was buried with her.Love her lots kama aha ahu nwere nnukwu "K-leg".Pronounciation and spelling was both "no comment" LOL.Even abbreviating it makes it worst.How does one abbreviate a name like "Mgbeke" sef?Things can only get terrible from there. . .Mgby?

LMAO.

1 Like

Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by ifyalways(f): 2:35pm On Mar 29, 2012
Nri Priest,Imela.

I remembered something now and think I have another translation for "Iwenofu".When i was a kid and crying over a thing,my mom always say "O zugo nofu" meaning its ok/you've cried enough.Going with that 'nofu',IMO means its OK hence i think "Iwenofu" = Don't be angry again/control your bad temperament.

Moving on,can we translate the ffg names:
Nmuokwugwo(Anambra don't know the specific town)
Onukwuba(not Onukwube)
Agbakoba
Nwanosike
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by NRIPRIEST(m): 6:00pm On Mar 29, 2012
ifyalways: Rofl @ Mgboro.I'm not sure i would bear such a name oh,hoha.Forgive me but its too mgbekelicious and trust me,i have one mgbeke name like that too,from Aro,nne m ochie gave me that.I would force myself to smile when she calls me by that name but fight anyone else that dared to mention that name anywhere close to me.

She died and that name was buried with her.Love her lots kama aha ahu nwere nnukwu "K-leg".Pronounciation and spelling was both "no comment" LOL.Even abbreviating it makes it worst.How does one abbreviate a name like "Mgbeke" sef?Things can only get terrible from there. . .Mgby?

LMAO.

Ify,you are invicibly funny! Mgboro is one rough name! The pronounciation goo is very "mgbekelicious". . .Odum,ewekwana iwe,blame it on Ifeoma!

Ify,can you please reveal that name that was given to you by your mother-inlaw ?
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by ifyalways(f): 11:00pm On Mar 29, 2012
Nri, never would I disclose oh. You know what I've decided?I'm going to give my first daughter in law that name. . . For real. Lolz

The name has cool meaning but very uncool to the ear and mouth.
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by NRIPRIEST(m): 11:39pm On Mar 29, 2012
IFy, if you tell me what it mean achotalum gi nwa Onicha gulu akwukwo,maa mma nwoke ma nwee okpogho ga anu gi. And you know what that means;you will be married into the Ezechima lineage,your mothers people(ikwu nnei).
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by odumchi: 11:20pm On Mar 30, 2012
ifyalways: Rofl @ Mgboro.I'm not sure i would bear such a name oh,hoha.Forgive me but its too mgbekelicious and trust me,i have one mgbeke name like that too,from Aro,nne m ochie gave me that.I would force myself to smile when she calls me by that name but fight anyone else that dared to mention that name anywhere close to me.

LMAO.

Even though I'm a boy, that's my middle name you're laughing at embarassed (long story)

Anyway, Ify please tell us the name. We are itching with anxiety to know.
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by odumchi: 11:25pm On Mar 30, 2012
ifyalways: Nri Priest,Imela.

I remembered something now and think I have another translation for "Iwenofu".When i was a kid and crying over a thing,my mom always say "O zugo nofu" meaning its ok/you've cried enough.Going with that 'nofu',IMO means its OK hence i think "Iwenofu" = Don't be angry again/control your bad temperament.

Onukwuba(not Onukwube)
Agbakoba
Nwanosike

I was just about to post a variant of that name lol.

Anyway, it's Onuyaba (Okigwe axis) and it means 'the mouth should speak'. In fact, it was my maternal great grandmother's (who hailed from a town called Isuochi in Okigwe l.g.a.) name.
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by odumchi: 11:29pm On Mar 30, 2012
NRI PRIEST: IFy, if you tell me what it mean achotalum gi nwa Onicha gulu akwukwo,maa mma nwoke ma nwee okpogho ga anu gi. And you know what that means;you will be married into the Ezechima lineage,your mothers people(ikwu nnei).

LOL. Ify egwuigo onweya na ala Aro. Aro people are going to take back their daughter. grin
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by odumchi: 11:30pm On Mar 30, 2012
NANYA1887: Lovely contributions everyone. I had to bookmark this page cuz I'l like to refer to it for help with names when I start having my kids (in the nearest future hopefullywink ) So here's my humble contribution:

NWABUNDO - child is shelter literally but it could also mean My child is my shelter

Its a lovely deep name and its not so popular anymore.
P.S its also my name grin

Thanks for the contribution. I'm very happy that this thread will prove beneficiary to you in the future.
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by NRIPRIEST(m): 4:46am On Mar 31, 2012
odumchi:

I was just about to post a variant of that name lol.

Anyway, it's Onuyaba (Okigwe axis) and it means 'the mouth should speak'. In fact, it was my maternal great grandmother's (who hailed from a town called Isuochi in Okigwe l.g.a.) name.

I didnt want to translate that name for a reason because i wanna know the origin of the name before i translate. However,the meaning i was gonna give is quite different from what you offered. I will like Ify to reveal the origin before i proceed.
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by NRIPRIEST(m): 4:48am On Mar 31, 2012
Oops! Odum,never mind. I see you were talking something different. But i will give translations later.
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by ifyalways(f): 10:04am On Mar 31, 2012
Nri, I don't know the origin of that name. I only heard it @ onitsha. Its the surname of one of our family friends and I see myself always wondering what it means.

@odumchi, so you are an mgbeke?first class?lol, ndi Aro sabi give person names oh.
I am not ready to spill on that my funny name. I can just see the look of hate my future daughters in law would give me when I would bless them with that name.

Lol @ odumchi and mgby name. Haha.
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by NRIPRIEST(m): 5:59pm On Mar 31, 2012
ifyalways: Nri Priest,Imela.

Onukwuba(not Onukwube)
Agbakoba
Nwanosike

Ok,here I come.
Nwanosike=may the child have a lasting life/may the child be comfortable.
Nmuokwugwo=the spirits paid the price but it could mean something else depending on the dialect and pronounciation.
Onukwuba=he has join the fight and this name can also mean the same thing as "Onukwube",but it all depends on the dialect and pronounciation of who is naming.
Agbakoba=when people gather.

I hope I was of any help.
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by odumchi: 10:23pm On Mar 31, 2012
NRI PRIEST: Oops! Odum,never mind. I see you were talking something different. But i will give translations later.

No problem lol. Thanks for the translation.

@Ify
I was just joking lol my name can never be "Mgboro" (because it's meant for females). If you won't tell us your name can you atleast tell us its English meaning so we can guess?

@General

Does anyone know the meaning of names like:

Nwosu
Nsofor

which are general Igbo names?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Ooni Ogunwusi Met Wuraola, His Mother's Namesake / 15 Reasons You Should Be Proud To Be A Nigerian(pics) / Children Of Alaafin Of Oyo, Lamidi Olayiwola Adeyemi (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.