Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,672 members, 7,809,553 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:10 AM

Horrific Crash Involving Petrol Tanker On Lagos-Ibadan Road - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Horrific Crash Involving Petrol Tanker On Lagos-Ibadan Road (5132 Views)

Poll: Who is to blame?

The government?: 67% (42 votes)
The driver?: 32% (20 votes)
This poll has ended

Petrol Tanker And Car On Fire On Lagos-Ibadan Expressway (Photos) / Lagos-ibadan Road Begin To Wear A New Face / Plane Crash Involving Governor Suntai Of Taraba (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Horrific Crash Involving Petrol Tanker On Lagos-Ibadan Road by babasin(m): 11:27am On Oct 30, 2007
An eyewitness disclosed that the tanker was coming from Lagos. In an attempt to avoid a pothole, the tanker tipped on its side, spilling its fuel content on the road.

According to the source, as soon as the tanker fell, it caught fire and the fire started spreading with a lightening speed.

The fire caught all the six vehicles that were directly behind it, consuming most of their 90 passengers.

Thanks to OBJ after 8yrs with 300Billion wasted, Nigeria most important highway full of port-hole:

http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/news/article02/301007

sadly, nobody will get punished for this, another 1wk all is forgotten and people continue with their lives until another death comes knocking.
Re: Horrific Crash Involving Petrol Tanker On Lagos-Ibadan Road by babasin(m): 11:29am On Oct 30, 2007
One of the victims was a pregnant woman who sat in the front of one of the 18-seater buses. She was also burnt to ashes.

A long line of queues of wailing sympathisers formed at the scene yesterday morning, all decrying the poor states of the inter-city highway.
Re: Horrific Crash Involving Petrol Tanker On Lagos-Ibadan Road by vigasimple(m): 2:01pm On Oct 30, 2007
Just this morning while I was trying to get up from bed it occurs to me that Lagos - ibadan express road has been buiilt well over 30 years.

But, most importantly, we all agree that Lagos is the main economic zone of Nigeria and to have one main road access to the place is a joke.

At least 2- 3 major roads, now that all the churches are now on the road shows lack of infrastructures. If there are roads everywhere there will be no need to set up on that main road.

The trafiic is now more than 3 times of what is planned. Where there are alternatives roads which we should have if we need to repair or close it down.

From security/defence point of view, has it occur to anybody that if that road is attack our economy will take a hit.

Even countries with many alternative roads do take time to repair and renew the facilities.

We have always say it at all times that Nigerian need a maintanance culture otherwise we are not going anywhere. Such soundbite like 2020 vision to me are just soundbite
Re: Horrific Crash Involving Petrol Tanker On Lagos-Ibadan Road by desgiezd(m): 2:06pm On Oct 30, 2007
These are people who were already planning for the end of year festivities. If only that road had been put into good shape for travellers to use. I don't know why our leaders are so dumb in performance in spite that our demands as a people are so simple and shouldnt be difficult to meet. OBJ spent 8 years and he decided to close his eyes to the plight of people plying this road and many others across the country. I have driven on this road several times and apart from big pot holes, there are some warped portions on it where one would actually be struggling to keep the vehicle on course. I learnt that among  the people that perished in the inferno is a family of 8 - talk of wiping out a whole family. For how long shall we continue to waste precious lives this way. At the height of his arrogance in power, OBJ was always travelling in helicopter from Lagos to Otta and thats a road that leads to his farm.

I wonder how OBJ feels anytime he hears or reads stories like this.

As the poster rightly pointed out, a week down the line, we would have forgotten about the incident and life would go on as usual. Ooh my!
Re: Horrific Crash Involving Petrol Tanker On Lagos-Ibadan Road by almondjoy(f): 2:09pm On Oct 30, 2007
You reap what you sow! Simple!
Re: Horrific Crash Involving Petrol Tanker On Lagos-Ibadan Road by babasin(m): 2:51pm On Oct 30, 2007
You reap what you sow! Simple!

true for Nigeria as a country but not for those 'poor soul';

they were not trying to siphon fuel, they were simply going about their lawful business.

if they had chance, they should/would have ran away from Nigeria.

Atleast people are not been roasted alive on roads in UK, US etc.
Re: Horrific Crash Involving Petrol Tanker On Lagos-Ibadan Road by almondjoy(f): 4:12pm On Oct 30, 2007
If we are stupid enough to allow things the way they are, then we have to bear the consequences.  Keep sacrificing ourselves and family members to our corrupt gods and goddesses in Nigeria.  No need to cry much at all. It is to be expected.

Potholes still causing deaths of people in the year 2007, in Africa? Potholes!!!!
Re: Horrific Crash Involving Petrol Tanker On Lagos-Ibadan Road by angel101(f): 4:35pm On Oct 30, 2007
I am so tired of hearing such apalling stories. These bastards in power nevr do anything about it cos they are hardly ever affected. Like a previous poster said, OBJ used to ravel to otta by helicopter (he probably still does) Its just a shame.
Re: Horrific Crash Involving Petrol Tanker On Lagos-Ibadan Road by Seun(m): 4:41pm On Oct 30, 2007
Leave Obasanjo alone. The tanker driver was obviously over-speeding. Didn't he know that the road had potholes?
Re: Horrific Crash Involving Petrol Tanker On Lagos-Ibadan Road by angel101(f): 4:51pm On Oct 30, 2007
Seun:

Leave Obasanjo alone. The tanker driver was obviously over-speeding. Didn't he know that the road had potholes?

Its alright then for our roads (major ones at that) to have potholes!! oh i remember private individuals should sort it out shocked
Re: Horrific Crash Involving Petrol Tanker On Lagos-Ibadan Road by obyann(f): 4:56pm On Oct 30, 2007
honestly I weep for those souls
Re: Horrific Crash Involving Petrol Tanker On Lagos-Ibadan Road by DoubleN(m): 4:59pm On Oct 30, 2007
Another set of lives wasted! i wonder when this tragedy and madness will end. Look at it about 90 lives wasted all because of a pothole? This government has to do something about our roads, they are now death traps!May their souls rest in peace. OBJ, their blood is on your hands.
Re: Horrific Crash Involving Petrol Tanker On Lagos-Ibadan Road by babasin(m): 5:00pm On Oct 30, 2007
Leave Obasanjo alone. The tanker driver was obviously over-speeding. Didn't he know that the road had potholes

Seun, your statement above is shocking!

This is Federal Road. If OBJ with 300BILLION wasteed have repaired/resurface the road, there would not have been a pot-hole and there would not have been any need for the petrol tanker to divert because of the pot-hole. And those people would still be alive.

This is an avoidable death! So one need to be punished for this.

Also, a truck with 'full fuel' does not have same capability to speed when its empty. So this is not issue of over-speeding. There some section of that roads, where the you have to 'hold hard to your steering' as its melted due to heavy use.
Re: Horrific Crash Involving Petrol Tanker On Lagos-Ibadan Road by Mamajama(m): 5:03pm On Oct 30, 2007
I have nothing to say, May they all rest in peace, The government is to be blame for this tragedy.

When will this new administration start taking actions?
Re: Horrific Crash Involving Petrol Tanker On Lagos-Ibadan Road by ifyalways(f): 5:05pm On Oct 30, 2007
may their souls find peace and rest.they are victims of another mans shit and negligence.
GOD forgive,heal and bless my country.
Re: Horrific Crash Involving Petrol Tanker On Lagos-Ibadan Road by Seun(m): 5:11pm On Oct 30, 2007
Look, let's be reasonable. There's no road in southern Nigeria that doesn't have potholes. Even recently constructed roads have potholes; our weather is partly to blame. In the north, their roads are very perfect because it's dry.

As a driver, you're not supposed to overspeed when you're carrying several tonnes of petrol in your vehicle. And if you're not over-speeding, your vehicle is not going to roll over when you are trying to avoid a pothole. And even if your vehicle rolls over, the petrol it is carrying is not supposed to spill out if the container is well secured.

Drivers are supposed to practice something called "defensive driving", especially those carrying tonnes of petrol!
Re: Horrific Crash Involving Petrol Tanker On Lagos-Ibadan Road by Nobody: 5:11pm On Oct 30, 2007
why are we complaining? The other day someone called me crazy for judging Yar Adua after only 5 months in office.
Re: Horrific Crash Involving Petrol Tanker On Lagos-Ibadan Road by Seun(m): 5:15pm On Oct 30, 2007
Yar'adua alone cannot monitor all the roads in Nigeria. Yar'adua is not our daddy; he cannot do everything for us.

We have state governments, and we have local governments. We have the minister of transport.

We have individual drivers who are supposed to use their common sense when carrying flammable materials.
Re: Horrific Crash Involving Petrol Tanker On Lagos-Ibadan Road by skima(m): 5:20pm On Oct 30, 2007
This is pathetic! this roads are deaths trap.

Lagos-ibadan express way is death trap no doubt about it.

ogbomosho road has collapse.

niger-bida road its a bush not road, we travel for upto 4hrs for a trip that normal should be 30mins-1hr that road na hell

i was billed to travel during that time, inevitably via the death trap called our expressway, but due to logistics reasons am still in Lagos, imaging if i'd traveled (it wont be funning at all).

Great people, great mind angel of change have been reduced. wen will all this end! This project am sure if govt. spend half of the allocated fund for renovation of madam speaker house am sure it will have saved some life.

Yar' Adua this is a call to duty. We own this money please use it to save our dear life. you dont have to save for the dead. people are dying you are saving we shall reap our savings?
Re: Horrific Crash Involving Petrol Tanker On Lagos-Ibadan Road by skima(m): 5:25pm On Oct 30, 2007
Seun i think you have to be realistic and opt out of ur box. this is federal road, this is the road that connect lagos to other parts of the country. why shouldnt he?

common wake up bro.
Re: Horrific Crash Involving Petrol Tanker On Lagos-Ibadan Road by Nobody: 5:26pm On Oct 30, 2007
If our railway transport system is good all these can be avoided
[size=1pt]**********remembering with nostalgia the good old days***[/size]
Re: Horrific Crash Involving Petrol Tanker On Lagos-Ibadan Road by Seun(m): 5:31pm On Oct 30, 2007
Well, as a driver, he should have seen the pothole from a distance, giving him enough time to avoid it. I blame him still.
Re: Horrific Crash Involving Petrol Tanker On Lagos-Ibadan Road by Joey82(m): 5:33pm On Oct 30, 2007
Reason why British high commisioner 2 nigeria said he feared the port holes on nigerian roads more than the raging wave of armed robbery in the country.
most pple ridiculed his statement but now, look @d lives those pot holes are consuming.

sha, may their soul rest in perfect peace cry cry cry
Re: Horrific Crash Involving Petrol Tanker On Lagos-Ibadan Road by skima(m): 5:34pm On Oct 30, 2007
yeah! thats the immediate cause. but the remote cause is that the road is bad! period. have you ever traveled on the new jeba road? you will see wat an expressway should look like.
Re: Horrific Crash Involving Petrol Tanker On Lagos-Ibadan Road by Seun(m): 5:40pm On Oct 30, 2007
If I'm not mistaken, the 'new Jeba road' you're boasting about is in the north.
The weather in the north is such that the roads need little maintenance, so they're better.

Yes, potholes are bad, but you shouldn't be behind the wheels if you don't know how to manage them.
Re: Horrific Crash Involving Petrol Tanker On Lagos-Ibadan Road by fire4fire: 5:44pm On Oct 30, 2007
Quite unfortunate that this sort of thing is happening again.I saw the accident on monday morning and felt like shedding tears.
The Government is 100% to be blamed for this kind of nonsense happening on our highways. This road has been crying for overall overhualing due to it delapidated state,but has still falling on the deaf ears of those in power.

The road has exceeded it life span and so requires to be totally rehablitated.We have no value to human live that is the short and true fact of it all.
Re: Horrific Crash Involving Petrol Tanker On Lagos-Ibadan Road by showbobo(m): 5:55pm On Oct 30, 2007
You dont have to blame the driver.One funny thing about our roads is that :you might pass a road today without any pothole and you coming back in a day or 2,to your amazement you would find potholes.this potholes seem like magic at times and they spread like wild fire.This is a festive period and alot of accidents are rampant.one should just be careful by not overspeeding even though if you dont speed what would happen would definitely happen but one should be on the safe side and pray to God to guide us and watch over us.And i pray to God to watch over the families of the victims and may their souls rest in perfect peace.AMEN.
Re: Horrific Crash Involving Petrol Tanker On Lagos-Ibadan Road by egin(m): 5:56pm On Oct 30, 2007
Seun:

The weather in the north is such that the roads need little maintenance, so they're better.

Yes, potholes are bad, but you shouldn't be behind the wheels if you don't know how to manage them.

Seun or whatever you call yourself. Just keep quiet and sympathize with the people that lost their lives. Have you been or seen pictures of roads in Brazil that is in the same geographical region and has the same climate as Nigeria. There are no potholes.

Obasanjo and the past leaders are to blame for all the woes in Nigeria. I hope this same thing happens to their families and their loved ones. Live in Nigeria is worth less than that of a dog in civilised societies.
Re: Horrific Crash Involving Petrol Tanker On Lagos-Ibadan Road by Nobody: 6:12pm On Oct 30, 2007
The pothole is not the problem, but the reckless driving of some of these tanker drivers. It's certain that many other cars and tankers must have passed through same route before but with "care" hence, no accidents. We're used to bad roads all around us in the South-West, So we only need to adapt to it and be cautious while driving. Most of these drivers are to be blamed!

Oh damn it, Such a huge waste of lives! sad cry
Re: Horrific Crash Involving Petrol Tanker On Lagos-Ibadan Road by Nobody: 6:14pm On Oct 30, 2007
Seun:

lol what about areas of the world that are under heavy snow for 5 months of the yr? We have a short rainy season and portholes everywhere. I think God knew what he was doing when he put us on this side of the universe. If we had to deal with earthquakes, snow, hurricanes we would long have ceased to exist.

OlowoTee:

The pothole is not the problem, but the reckless driving of some of these tanker drivers. It's certain that many other cars and tankers must have passed through same route before but with "care" hence, no accidents. We're used to bad roads all around us in the South-West, So we only need to adapt to it and be cautious while driving. Most of these drivers are to be blamed!

Oh damn it, Such a huge waste of lives! sad cry

the typical naija mentality! Roads are bad - we just need to adapt to it. shocked And we wonder why we are making no progress!
Re: Horrific Crash Involving Petrol Tanker On Lagos-Ibadan Road by Genial(m): 6:22pm On Oct 30, 2007
egin:

Seun or whatever you call yourself. Just keep quiet and sympathize with the people that lost their lives.
I fail to see how Seun's comments can be equated to a lack of sympathy for the people that lost their lives. As I see it, he has just expressed his own opinion - a valid one in certain circumstances.

Obasanjo and the past leaders are to blame for all the woes in Nigeria.
This is nonsense.

Live in Nigeria is worth less than that of a dog in civilised societies.
You might want to rephrase. You do not quite make the point I think you are trying to make.
Re: Horrific Crash Involving Petrol Tanker On Lagos-Ibadan Road by denony(m): 6:34pm On Oct 30, 2007
Its really shoking, these people are promising Nigerians. Their lives has been wasted like that.
Oh God save the soul of your people. We commit our lives into your might hand. Our dear leaders prefer money than the live of people just for selfish interests. forgotten that one day they will die and will be burried empty handed.
I think its the time to challenge these wicked leaders, the present and past leaders. OBJ disapointed Nigerians. I beg our new elected president Musa Y'Aradua to please take a fast action in other to spare the lives of the masses.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

NRC Expects Nigeria To Be Linked By Rail Line Within The Next 5 - 10 Years / I'm A 24 Year Old Lady Relocating To Canada Or Australia / How Can I Send A Package From Nigeria To US.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.