Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,482 members, 7,816,136 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:18 AM

Is It Legal For A Bank To Hold On To Money For No Reason? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Is It Legal For A Bank To Hold On To Money For No Reason? (7774 Views)

Access Bank To Deactivate ATM Cards Trapped In Other Banks' ATMs / Wigwe Appointed MD/CEO Of Access Bank To Succeed Imoukhede / First Bank To Shut Operations For 5 Days (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Legal For A Bank To Hold On To Money For No Reason? by Nobody: 10:01am On Mar 22, 2012
We r thru wit all clearances....Efcc has called for interview,we have presente d document from d sender and it has bn okayed. And they went to US where d money was sent from to verify d authenticity and it was ok. So tell me why is d bank still holding on to dis money?
Re: Is It Legal For A Bank To Hold On To Money For No Reason? by FEMARY1: 10:02am On Mar 22, 2012
Definitely somebody that can handle billions of naira transaction will know what to do in this situation.
Re: Is It Legal For A Bank To Hold On To Money For No Reason? by Nobody: 10:02am On Mar 22, 2012
I dislike nairaland for one thing. And that thing is the stu-pidy and myopic nature of most members.

Once a person post a message in support (pro) in response to a thread, all other members to post thereafter will toll that same line, until when another person objects, then members will again change lanes.

There were reasonable and sensible contributions before a silly soul came and said the story was fake, which brought about the couple toll line of other idi+otic members posting same.

People wake up, just because you live inn a room room apartment in one slum and eat once a day, but because you can afford to empty your bank account to buy a phone or laptop and go online doesn't mean people aren't rich or super rich in Nigeria.

On this nairaland I have known a super influential citizen of Nigeria and also a governor's child. So erase your silly mind set that everybody on this forum is of the same status with you.

What's the impossibility of her husband not having acess to billions. Mind you guys, not everyone one's family was destined to be broke ass murder-forkers like you people doubting.

My mum has experienced such before with a bank that claims they are first, it almost led to a legal tussle before they started sending series of apologies. Abd not a single kobo was paid as interest after using her money to trade for almost 3months.

The entire policies and system in Nigeria is totally corrupt.

@Poster,taking it calm with them won't solve jack, try and get a lawyer to write the appropriate unit(s) and copy the MD, head of monetry policies, Foregin Operations, Legal department and others. And threaten to sue for damages as well. I bet you within the shortest time, they will be the ones begging you and your husband all over the country.
Re: Is It Legal For A Bank To Hold On To Money For No Reason? by Nobody: 10:03am On Mar 22, 2012
My husband is nt a yahoo yahoo man..dat i can vouch for,d only problem i see here is dat dis is d first time such magnitude of money is entering his acct and even @ dat the source is completely geniune. Nigerian banks have corrupt officials and its jst pathetic.
Re: Is It Legal For A Bank To Hold On To Money For No Reason? by Nobody: 10:09am On Mar 22, 2012
@talknafree....pls can i have ur number...i nid to knw hw ur mom tackled dis. Pple on dis forum ar totally myopic bt i dnt have time for dat nw. Tanks for seeing it my way.
Re: Is It Legal For A Bank To Hold On To Money For No Reason? by Okontami: 10:16am On Mar 22, 2012
shiloh: Thanks for dose that gave positive contributions. The acct is nt a savings acct bt a domicilliary coporate acct (dollars acct). When dis money came in the CEO himself and EFCC chairman called him and told him they solemly behind dis transactions becos of its genuity.
Dear Shilo, I practised Banking for 5 years in 2 top Nigerian Banks before leaving. What you are experiencing is not strange. Let me start. I have been to EFCC , NFIU , ICPC and several police stations for questioning while working in the Bank because of inflow into customers account. I have spent 3 days with EFCC Abuja because of a mere USD500K inflow . It is written clearly in the bank that lodgement sum of 1Million and above will be reported for individuals and 5million will be reported for corporate. To make your matter worse, it is a forex inflow. Such inflow most time must be seen to be genuine before they can be released. Once they come in, it is the duty of the Bank to report it to EFCC , NFIU immediately as suspicious transaction and place a PND ( Post no debit on it). Because of laxity of the part of the regulatory agents, they take their time to investigate the funds from source by contacting INTERPOL, who will either give them a go ahead or not. It would have not been like this if the bank authority were involved were involved in the business from the beginning in terms of LC's or bank guarantees. This volume calls for suspicion and will be investigated. If the source is clean, the money will come thru. if it is not, you guys will lose the money and do your 8 years in Jail or more. Cheers
Re: Is It Legal For A Bank To Hold On To Money For No Reason? by Nobody: 10:22am On Mar 22, 2012
@Okontami....if d bank is investigating dis money,cant they come out clean and say dey r doing dat instead of promising today,tomorow...isnt it unethical to kip lying to ur customer?. I repeat all clearances has bn done except dey r nt telling us d truth which does nt mke sense.
Re: Is It Legal For A Bank To Hold On To Money For No Reason? by Okontami: 10:27am On Mar 22, 2012
Dear Shilo, its not the Bank investigating the money. Banks dont investigate this type of issue. They report to NFIU EFCC and the EFCC will now start dragging their feet. It is clear that this issue is not within the bank power to act any more. The bank can not release the money to you unless they have been cleared by EFCC NFIU. Therefore they are only not bold enough to come out to your husband and inform him. The truth, dont expect the money very soon. The investigation will be thoroughly done. No body can help you, no court can help you,no bribe can deliver you. All the due diligence will be done, but trust me, these EFCC guys are sluggish. Thus you need to keep calm and pray that the money is genuine so you guys dont spend few yesrs in prison. Frank talk. You can ask more question. I will answer you.I have been in this shoes before.
Re: Is It Legal For A Bank To Hold On To Money For No Reason? by Nobody: 10:34am On Mar 22, 2012
fake story. u think withdrawing billions of naira is as easy and straight forward as withdrawing 500 naira. someone smart enough to be handling a multibillion naira business should no banks dont remit huge sums of money until they get clearance from the various government fraud control units which takes time and even when thats done, the money cannot be withdrawn at once as most banks have daily withdrawal limits for each customer. thanks for the bogus and entertaining story though. olodo poster.
Re: Is It Legal For A Bank To Hold On To Money For No Reason? by lumideezle(m): 10:36am On Mar 22, 2012
@ shiloh its just a banking thing, they would never tell you what is really happening because most of the front line cashiers do not know in details them selves . Like I said earlier it biols down to Relationship Relationship Relationship... For crying out loud if your husband has this kind of inflow, he sld have a GMs Number on speed dail. Go and build your relationship with your bankers they would save you d hassle if smfn like this happens in future. Even if they still must report it 2 cbn and Efcc they would @ least tell you upfront what is going on
Re: Is It Legal For A Bank To Hold On To Money For No Reason? by Nobody: 10:38am On Mar 22, 2012
@Okontami...Efcc has finished their investigations. The chairman...Lamorde has called and said they have ascertained that the money is geniuine and they are behind it and d money wil b released. If Efcc has nt cleared it wil it take anyting from d bank to tell him dat security has nt been cleared? My friend... I tink there r some hanky panky game beign played by nigerian banks. whu does d foreign director kip calling wit promises of releasing the money today,tomorow. This is an integrity issue.
Re: Is It Legal For A Bank To Hold On To Money For No Reason? by Okontami: 10:40am On Mar 22, 2012
slyfoxxjoe: fake story. u think withdrawing billions of naira is as easy and straight forward as withdrawing 500 naira. someone smart enough to be handling a multibillion naira business should no banks dont remit huge sums of money until they get clearance from the various government fraud control units which takes time and even when thats done, the money cannot be withdrawn at once as most banks have daily withdrawal limits for each customer. thanks for the bogus and entertaining story though. olodo poster.
Young man, its not about withdrawal limit o. This is past that. This is purely regulatory If you need banking lessons at least i never forget, i can still give you.
Re: Is It Legal For A Bank To Hold On To Money For No Reason? by Nobody: 10:44am On Mar 22, 2012
^^ ok so u think u can walk into any bank and come out with 10 billion naira at any point in time? no bank keeps that amount of physical cash in their vaults. deposits are traded, loaned, and invested as soon as they are recieved and thats why they have withdrawal limits. what kind of busines is the husband doing that he needs the money physically sef? that sounds dubious man.
Re: Is It Legal For A Bank To Hold On To Money For No Reason? by Nobody: 10:46am On Mar 22, 2012
His acct officer is nt even helping matters as it is now cos instead of accting like an acct officer he is completely on d side of d bank and hoarding info. See....tanks to all those dat contributed negatively or positevely,if it has nt happened to u u will never knw d type of corruption dat goes on in dis our country and d way we run our system. We are giving them till d end of dis month and if dey dont release it....the organisation dat sent d money from US will kom n collect d money n dey wont say dey wont release it. Since our country is nt organised. It took jst 24hrs for d money to enter nigeria and its taking a month to release it. Nigeria is a failed state.
Re: Is It Legal For A Bank To Hold On To Money For No Reason? by Okontami: 10:47am On Mar 22, 2012
shiloh: @Okontami...Efcc has finished their investigations. The chairman...Lamorde has called and said they have ascertained that the money is geniuine and they are behind it and d money wil b released. If Efcc has nt cleared it wil it take anyting from d bank to tell him dat security has nt been cleared? My friend... I tink there r some hanky panky game beign played by nigerian banks. whu does d foreign director kip calling wit promises of releasing the money today,tomorow. This is an integrity issue.
Madam, who is deceiving you. Who said Lamode is involved. In all my visits i have never met The Chairman or Chair Lady. Even when i went at the time of Dimeji Bankole, Mama was not even involved. Its all these young chaps that investigates and will drill you guys. How many times has your husband been questioned? and queried. Abeg no connection will help you. The report from the source country of the money matters. Find out what the report is. Have they picked up your husband's account officer , the person who opened the account and who conducted KYC for questioning on how deep they know your husband and your husband's business??. Please dont let me bring out banking secretes i swore under oat that i will not divulge jare. good luck
Re: Is It Legal For A Bank To Hold On To Money For No Reason? by Nobody: 10:54am On Mar 22, 2012
@Okontanmi....i didnt say Lamorde is investigating d issue...i only said he called having gone thru d document. And as for beign under oath because u work in a bank. I too worked in a bank bt @ a junior level before i resigned after marriage. So no b today.
Re: Is It Legal For A Bank To Hold On To Money For No Reason? by Okontami: 10:58am On Mar 22, 2012
shiloh: His acct officer is nt even helping matters as it is now cos instead of accting like an acct officer he is completely on d side of d bank and hoarding info. See....tanks to all those dat contributed negatively or positevely,if it has nt happened to u u will never knw d type of corruption dat goes on in dis our country and d way we run our system. We are giving them till d end of dis month and if dey dont release it....the organisation dat sent d money from US will kom n collect d money n dey wont say dey wont release it. Since our country is nt organised. It took jst 24hrs for d money to enter nigeria and its taking a month to release it. Nigeria is a failed state.
Madam , you are funny o?? So ur husband's account officer should support your husband abi. Will your husband feed him if he losses his job? AS A BANKER.. NO CUSTOMER IS WORTH DYING FOR..... I have assisted a lot of customers and have burnt my fingers, therefore he will work according to policies and procedures. Nothing more, no emotions or deceit. Stop deceiving your self. You will get the money when due diligence has been done.
Re: Is It Legal For A Bank To Hold On To Money For No Reason? by Nobody: 11:05am On Mar 22, 2012
@Okontami...u said u slept in Efcc for 3days Dat means u were nt clean. I worked too in a bank before for 3yrs and d only time anybody goes to Efcc and spend d number of days u spent there is when their hands re dirty. Admit it...there r some fraudulent moves amongst the top executive bankers dat even pple like u do not knw about. Am nt scared cos i knw d money is geniune so u repeating jail and all dat does nt scare me. The bank is trading wit d money for their selfish interest.
Re: Is It Legal For A Bank To Hold On To Money For No Reason? by Nobody: 11:16am On Mar 22, 2012
talknafree: I dislike nairaland for one thing. And that thing is the stu-pidy and myopic nature of most members.

Once a person post a message in support (pro) in response to a thread, all other members to post thereafter will toll that same line, until when another person objects, then members will again change lanes.

There were reasonable and sensible contributions before a silly soul came and said the story was fake, which brought about the couple toll line of other idi+otic members posting same.

People wake up, just because you live inn a room room apartment in one slum and eat once a day, but because you can afford to empty your bank account to buy a phone or laptop and go online doesn't mean people aren't rich or super rich in Nigeria.

On this nairaland I have known a super influential citizen of Nigeria and also a governor's child. So erase your silly mind set that everybody on this forum is of the same status with you.

What's the impossibility of her husband not having acess to billions. Mind you guys, not everyone one's family was destined to be broke ass murder-forkers like you people doubting.

My mum has experienced such before with a bank that claims they are first, it almost led to a legal tussle before they started sending series of apologies. Abd not a single kobo was paid as interest after using her money to trade for almost 3months.

The entire policies and system in Nigeria is totally corrupt.

@Poster,taking it calm with them won't solve jack, try and get a lawyer to write the appropriate unit(s) and copy the MD, head of monetry policies, Foregin Operations, Legal department and others. And threaten to sue for damages as well. I bet you within the shortest time, they will be the ones begging you and your husband all over the country.

Reflect on the quote from the poster below and hopefully you will realise that it was bad judgement on your part to even comment.

Lets paint the scenario again.
When dis money came in the CEO himself and EFCC chairman called him and told him they solemly behind dis transactions becos of its genuity.

Huge funds hit your personal account and immediately the bank CEO and Lamorde call to tell you are genuine. You do not need a psychologist to decipher the reason for the OP writing such a kindergarten sentence. Who complained that you were not genuine in the first place that made the EFFC chairman to make a solidarity call?

Now back to the investor fairytale. Do you think foreign investors just send money to entrepreneurs in Africa like that? Have you heard of due diligence and risk assessment. let's assume you know, with the robust risk assessment foreign investors do before venturing into Africa, do you think they would place Billions of their money in an account CONTROLLED by just ONE MAN with the risk of opportunist behaviour staring right into their faces? Mtchewwwww
Re: Is It Legal For A Bank To Hold On To Money For No Reason? by Nobody: 11:28am On Mar 22, 2012
^^^ dont mind that dumb 1stCitizen. no one is hating on d poster cuz we are jelous her husband has billions, its the stupidity of her questions that we are commenting on.
Re: Is It Legal For A Bank To Hold On To Money For No Reason? by shadrach77: 12:04pm On Mar 22, 2012
if the bank has reasons to believe that you are using your account for money laundering, they are within their rights to withold the money tongue embarassed
Re: Is It Legal For A Bank To Hold On To Money For No Reason? by Koolking(m): 1:15pm On Mar 22, 2012
Let's not justify the intention of the bank. The plain truth is the bank is trading with the money. They are not interested in authenticating the legality of the source of the funds so soon. They are deep rooted in making interest equivalent to that fund. This is Bank we are talking about. They in conjunction with CBN trade with people's money. You cannot beat that folks
Re: Is It Legal For A Bank To Hold On To Money For No Reason? by Nobody: 2:11pm On Mar 22, 2012
Thank u my brother,i tink from all d pple dat contributed on dis matter u r d only person dat made sense. Someone also had d same experience....one former minister's inlaw and confided in my husband. He said in his own case he had to involve a lot of top who is who in nigeria to intervene before d bank now called him and talked to him dat dey r trading wit d money bt will release it d following month. Why will dey b making profit from money dat is spsed to b released for a project. They r a bunch of fraudulent and selfish pple.
Re: Is It Legal For A Bank To Hold On To Money For No Reason? by Koolking(m): 4:07pm On Mar 22, 2012
Nigeria is a country where anything goes. I won't be surprised if the presidency is aware of your hus funds considering the amount. Things work out for you the way you want them to work if you are a stakeholder or a close pal to a stakeholder in Nigeria. Believe me, if your hus could be involved in a project with such startling amount of money, he has not played his games well, he needs to up his games. Nigeria is 'who knows who wins' country. Be that as it may, i will advise you talk to a renown lawyer who would offer a professional advice on way forward. I am afraid if the bank does not meet their target interest with your hus funds in the shortest possible time, they will continue to rigmarole. The contract given to your hus might be revoked, remember projects have lead time. . .

stop treating the bank with kid glove and act decisively now

My take, cheers!
Re: Is It Legal For A Bank To Hold On To Money For No Reason? by nefertitiram: 4:30pm On Mar 22, 2012
Okontami: Dear Shilo, its not the Bank investigating the money. Banks dont investigate this type of issue. They report to NFIU EFCC and the EFCC will now start dragging their feet. It is clear that this issue is not within the bank power to act any more. The bank can not release the money to you unless they have been cleared by EFCC NFIU. Therefore they are only not bold enough to come out to your husband and inform him. The truth, dont expect the money very soon. The investigation will be thoroughly done. No body can help you, no court can help you,no bribe can deliver you. All the due diligence will be done, but trust me, these EFCC guys are sluggish. Thus you need to keep calm and pray that the money is genuine so you guys dont spend few yesrs in prison. Frank talk. You can ask more question. I will answer you.I have been in this shoes before.

Abi?
Shiloh, be patient, three bankers or ex bankers have just told you the same thing!
Re: Is It Legal For A Bank To Hold On To Money For No Reason? by nefertitiram: 4:32pm On Mar 22, 2012
Koolking: Let's not justify the intention of the bank. The plain truth is the bank is trading with the money. They are not interested in authenticating the legality of the source of the funds so soon. They are deep rooted in making interest equivalent to that fund. This is Bank we are talking about. They in conjunction with CBN trade with people's money. You cannot beat that folks

And just what do you know about banking?
Re: Is It Legal For A Bank To Hold On To Money For No Reason? by Koolking(m): 4:37pm On Mar 22, 2012
Shiloh, go for accelerated application of suit against the bank. First seek the advice of a renowned lawyer.

All the best
Re: Is It Legal For A Bank To Hold On To Money For No Reason? by Nobody: 4:45pm On Mar 22, 2012
@koolking...thanks,my husband and his team r seriously working on d issue....trust me dey r nt sleeping. Its jst pathetic that some pple on dis forum r nt enlightened enuff to knw dat 'there r transaction n there r transactions'. Not everybody knws d shady tins dat goes on in d bank except u have sumtin huge there.
Re: Is It Legal For A Bank To Hold On To Money For No Reason? by Koolking(m): 4:49pm On Mar 22, 2012
^^Sir, I need not be a banker to know when I am unfairly treated, and my reputation to my business partners hangs in the balance. Business transaction should be win-win and not when it is skewed in favour of one party
Re: Is It Legal For A Bank To Hold On To Money For No Reason? by BAMMZ(m): 5:31pm On Mar 22, 2012
Ma shiloh,gues its time festus keyamo gets involved in dis case. Even the AGF. It is well with you and ur billions.
Re: Is It Legal For A Bank To Hold On To Money For No Reason? by Nobody: 5:54pm On Mar 22, 2012
BAMMZ: So fake a tale! Either piosters just half literate or dumb. Maybe the type that her hubby cooks any story to make her feel good or is is stupid..... First thought its the usual yahoo scheme where a mugu would offer to help and get duped but .. . . . . .Please poster search yourself!
I didnt ask for ur opinion mr Bammz...i tink u ve insulted me enuff so stay out of dis issue.
Re: Is It Legal For A Bank To Hold On To Money For No Reason? by Nobody: 5:56pm On Mar 22, 2012
BAMMZ: So fake a tale! Either piosters just half literate or dumb. Maybe the type that her hubby cooks any story to make her feel good or is is stupid..... First thought its the usual yahoo scheme where a mugu would offer to help and get duped but .. . . . . .Please poster search yourself!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Before You Apply For Tony Elumelu Foundation Programme / Nigeria Loses N6.33tr To Naira Devaluation. The Guardian / "We Are Not Indebted To AMCON" - MRS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.