Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,680 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:43 PM

God's Moral Law - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / God's Moral Law (7308 Views)

Morality Demands A Moral Law Giver / Atheists Are More "Moral" Than Christians/muslims (the Evidence). Do You Accept? / Christianity Vs. Islam - The Moral Law By Arnie Gentile ( Part 2 ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: God's Moral Law by nedostic: 4:21pm On Aug 29, 2012
@Frosbel,

If the Sabbath day is Saturday and NOT Sunday, so why are we not keeping to it(SATURDAY) despite the fact that its one of the 10 commandments?

History has it that the Roman Catholic Church did change the day of worship from Saturday to Sunday.

So many bible commentators have stated that Paul did not imply doing away with the main Sabbath day-Saturday but the other ceremonial Sabbaths in the bible verse below:

"Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day." - Colossians 2:16

Anyway, this is quite a contentious topic!

For now, I do not know whose report to believe. So, I am a bit careful here in order not to mislead others by my own stance.

Maybe, in a way I have 'spiritualized' the Sabbath day, quite funny you might say but therein lies the truth as well!

What I know for sure that all the 10 laws must be obeyed,but poor me lacks thorough understanding of the 4th commandment!!

I hope to learn the truth possibly from this forum on this 4th commandment!!!

God bless you all!
Re: God's Moral Law by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:36pm On Aug 31, 2012
OLAADEGBU:

Our Weekly Day Of Rest And Worship

"And remember that thou wast a servant in the land of Egypt, and that the LORD thy God brought thee out thence through a mighty hand and by a stretched out arm: therefore the LORD thy God commanded thee to keep the sabbath day." (Deuteronomy 5:15)

It is significant that God's Ten Commandments are found twice in the Bible (Exodus 20:21–17 and Deuteronomy 5:6–21). In fact, "deuteronomy" means "The Second Law." The two are worded identically, with a few exceptions.

The most significant of these changes is in connection with the reason given for obeying the fourth commandment, to "keep the Sabbath day." In Exodus, the reason given is: "For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day" (Exodus 20:11). Here in "the second law," the reason given is that God saved Israel out of bondage in Egypt, and now was about to enter the promised land. In other words, when the Israelites observed each Sabbath day in rest and worship, they were acknowledging God as both their Creator and their Redeemer.

Christians also, as they devote every seventh day as a day of rest and worship, should be remembering God for His finished creation ("the heavens and the earth were finished"—Genesis 2:1) and His finished redemption ("It is finished" was Christ's victory cry on the cross—John 19:30).

The word "Sabbath" means "rest," of course—not "Saturday" or "Sunday" or even "seventh" (the word for "seventh" in Hebrew is similar, but distinctly different from that for 'sabbath'). Most Christians now believe it is appropriate to honour the Lord Jesus (who is both their Creator and Redeemer) to take their seventh day of rest and worship on the first day of each week, thereby recognising both His finished work of redemption and also His finished work of creation. HMM

For more . . . .

The Christian Sabbath revisited.
Re: God's Moral Law by Nobody: 11:40pm On Aug 31, 2012
"Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day." - Colossians 2:16

But if you want to observe the Sabbath then Saturday is the day not Sunday , it appears the Seventh Day Adventists also got this one right !
Re: God's Moral Law by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:56pm On Aug 31, 2012
frosbel: "Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day." - Colossians 2:16

But if you want to observe the Sabbath then Saturday is the day not Sunday , it appears the Seventh Day Adventists also got this one right !

Did you miss this?

The word "Sabbath" means "rest," of course—not "Saturday" or "Sunday" or even "seventh" (the word for "seventh" in Hebrew is similar, but distinctly different from that for 'sabbath'). Most Christians now believe it is appropriate to honour the Lord Jesus (who is both their Creator and Redeemer) to take their seventh day of rest and worship on the first day of each week, thereby recognising both His finished work of redemption and also His finished work of creation

SDA didn't get it right because they failed the test of Colossians 2:16 that you just quoted.
Re: God's Moral Law by Nobody: 11:59pm On Aug 31, 2012
OLAADEGBU:

Did you miss this?

SDA didn't get it right because they failed the test of Colossians 2:16 that you just quoted.

Ah okay, I thought you were advocating for a strict adherence to the Sabbath which I personally disagree with.

I used the 7th day Adventists as a case in point .

accept my apology.
Re: God's Moral Law by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:05am On Sep 01, 2012
frosbel:

Ah okay, I thought you were advocating for a strict adherence to the Sabbath which I personally disagree with.

I used the 7th day Adventists as a case in point .

accept my apology.

Apologies accepted provided you are truly sorwy. wink
Re: God's Moral Law by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:30pm On Sep 01, 2012
Love is the fulfillment of the Law.

Re: God's Moral Law by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:03am On Sep 03, 2012
See how Kirk Cameron of the 'way of the Master' uses the Moral Law to bring the gospel message home to folks who believe in reincarnation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAjzYgp5AO8
Re: God's Moral Law by Ptolomeus(m): 9:16pm On Sep 03, 2012
OLAADEGBU:

1. "For our God is a consuming fire" (Hebrews 12:29)

This describes God as a consuming fire. God's nature must consume anything that is contrary to His divine nature. This should teach us to put on the Lord Jesus Christ otherwise we would be consumed by the burning holiness of God.

To answer you question as to why God commanded the Israelites to murder those people you have to understand this verse of the Scripture.

2. "Then the LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually" (Genesis 6:5).

3. The Bible says that these people including us were not innocent for all have sinned against a holy and just God. God needs to judge sin and wickedness as you may want to know that murder is different from judgment. God used the Israelites to judge the people and remove the evil in the land.

4. Today, God judged the sin in the world by punishing His Son on the cross. God will also judge those who do not claim Jesus Christ as their Saviour and Lord. If you don't receive Jesus' free gift of forgiveness and trust Him as the only way to heaven you are putting yourself in the presense of the consuming fire of the holy God and who can stand their own stregth?

1. You worship that god vengeful murderer? A God who pursues his own creation? A destroyer god?
Excuse me ... I think you're a devil worshiping ....

2. A very silly god that created bad people, and the only solution he found is to kill them ... Mhhhh ugly, all very ugly ...

3. With a god of that nature, it is not necessary a devil ...

4. "God judges sin of others, sacrificing his son on the cross"
If this god kills his own son ... imagine what it would be merciful to any of us ...

Olaa, dear friend ... I prefer to be far away, as far as possible from that "god" that no mercy when TiVo begged his son on the cross ...

My respects ...
Re: God's Moral Law by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:02pm On Sep 04, 2012
Ptolomeus:

1. You worship that god vengeful murderer? A God who pursues his own creation? A destroyer god?
Excuse me ... I think you're a devil worshiping ....

2. A very silly god that created bad people, and the only solution he found is to kill them ... Mhhhh ugly, all very ugly ...

3. With a god of that nature, it is not necessary a devil ...

4. "God judges sin of others, sacrificing his son on the cross"
If this god kills his own son ... imagine what it would be merciful to any of us ...

Olaa, dear friend ... I prefer to be far away, as far as possible from that "god" that no mercy when TiVo begged his son on the cross ...

My respects ...

If you are banking on the 'mercy' of satan on the last day then you are in for a big shock.
Re: God's Moral Law by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:14pm On Sep 04, 2012
Kirk Cameron uses the 10 Commandment to preach the gospel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqNDdCzOGTI
Re: God's Moral Law by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:49pm On Sep 12, 2012
Ray Comfort, a Jew, shares the gospel to a psychology student who no longer believes in the existence of heaven or hell, using the 10 Commandments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GquyjOHnpA
Re: God's Moral Law by Ptolomeus(m): 10:31pm On Sep 12, 2012
Why you associate me with Satan?
I think you have a big problem ...
You think you are the owner of the truth, and that all the others are bad ...
Well known?
I do not think you have the slightest reason ... on the contrary: the blind fanaticism.
... stop being blind and fanatical, or end up burning in hell.
The fanaatismo and arrogance is sin ...
You are a great sinner.
You want to teach about the Bible, but is the first to contradict the word.
I'm starting to think you're a Satan worshiper, infiltrated the Christian ranks.
Re: God's Moral Law by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:05pm On Sep 13, 2012
Satanic Influence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoEjYxvAh28

Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron talk on satanism and its dark subtle effects on this generation.
Re: God's Moral Law by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:38pm On Sep 13, 2012
How to use the Law in witnessessing to homosexuals and not coming back with a black eye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ecbgAVz5jA

Kirk and Ray go to San Francisco and West Hollywood to witness to homosexuals, showing how to share the way of salvation without causing undue offense.
Re: God's Moral Law by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:38pm On Sep 14, 2012
Witnessing to Jehovah Witnessess (Part 1).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G80lC6dIiZo
Re: God's Moral Law by Nobody: 4:45pm On Sep 14, 2012
OLAADEGBU: Witnessing to Jehovah Witnessess (Part 1).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G80lC6dIiZo

What a cheap shot, you attack others when you do not agree with them, wow !

I am no JW supporter and have raised articles on their belief system, but this is not the right timing to publish a video to put them down

You need to come off your high horse and humble yourself.
Re: God's Moral Law by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:00pm On Sep 14, 2012
Part 2 of witnessing to Jehovah Witnessess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-UnAMNMAX8
Re: God's Moral Law by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:56pm On Sep 15, 2012
Is Jesus Michael the Archangel?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0nWbUDEzwQ
Re: God's Moral Law by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:59pm On Sep 15, 2012
frosbel:

What a cheap shot, you attack others when you do not agree with them, wow !

I am no JW supporter and have raised articles on their belief system, but this is not the right timing to publish a video to put them down

You need to come off your high horse and humble yourself.

Are you this desperate because your mentors are being exposed?
Re: God's Moral Law by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:35am On Sep 17, 2012
Dr Martins Walter debate with Jehovah Witnessess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JFLXtyT3Tc
Re: God's Moral Law by Nobody: 10:44am On Sep 17, 2012
[quote author=OLAADEGBU]

Where is the deeper life spirit in you , or have you departed from the church's admonition that you be slow to speak , quick to hear and humble in mind and action.
Re: God's Moral Law by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:43am On Sep 17, 2012
The Truth Wins Everytime.

Re: God's Moral Law by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:07am On Sep 18, 2012
Dr Martins Walter on 'Jehovah Witnessess' (Part 1)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSmfXvB726Y
Re: God's Moral Law by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:26pm On Sep 19, 2012
Dr Walter Martin on Jehovah Witness (Part 2)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blXrJhtG4O8
Re: God's Moral Law by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:26pm On Oct 11, 2012
OLAADEGBU: The Moral law (Decalogue) is;

#1. A schoolmaster pointing us to Christ.

#2. Not a means of salvation but rules for guidance to measure our conformity to God's holiness.

#3. Unalterable and remain in force today. Matt.5:17. (Remember God wrote it with His own finger) wink

#4. A hedge to keep us within the bounds of sobriety and piety.
Re: God's Moral Law by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:45pm On Oct 24, 2012
Old Testament Love
October 24, 2012.

"Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD." (Leviticus 19:18 ).

Many people have mistakenly rejected or neglected the Old Testament on the basis that it speaks about a vindictive God of judgment in contrast to the New Testament God of love manifest in Jesus Christ. This perspective, however, is completely wrong.

One day a lawyer asked Jesus, "Master, which is the great commandment in the law? Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets" (Matthew 22:36-40).

Both of these commandments were recorded, of course, in the Old Testament. The first one in Deuteronomy 6:4-5 is perhaps the most revered of all passages to the Jews: "Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." The second great commandment is the one in our text for the day. This law is buried deep in the Pentateuch, in the unlikely heart of the book of Leviticus. In the New Testament it is even called "the royal law" (James 2:8 ).

Thus, the great underlying theme of the Old Testament is love--love for God and love for others--and this truth is stressed by Christ Himself in the New Testament. Even greater is God's eternal love which was ours from before the world and that will never end. "The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee" (Jeremiah 31:3). HMM

For more . . . .
Re: God's Moral Law by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:48am On Nov 15, 2012
The Grace of Being Content
November 15, 2012.

"And having food and raiment let us be therewith content" (1 Timothy 6:8 ).

The last of God's Ten Commandments--and probably the most difficult to obey--deals with the sin of covetousness. "Thou shalt not covet . . . any thing that is thy neighbour's" (Exodus 20:17). "Take heed, and beware of covetousness" warned the Lord Jesus, "for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth" (Luke 12:15). This warning introduced His parable of the rich man whom God called a fool. "So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God" (Luke 12:21).

And how does one become rich toward God? "Lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven. . . . Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. . . . seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you" (Matthew 6:20, 25, 33).

We Christians--especially in an affluent society such as ours--all too easily fall into the trap of being possessed by our possessions and may even think these possessions are somehow God's reward for our "godliness." But Paul says those who suppose "that gain is godliness" are "destitute of the truth." We need to remember that in God's sight "godliness with contentment is great gain" (1 Timothy 6:5-6). And with Paul, we should strive to be able to say sincerely that "I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content" (Philippians 4:11).

God has promised to supply all our needs (Philippians 4:19), if we are faithful stewards of what He has entrusted to us. Therefore, God's Word commands: "Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee" (Hebrews 13:5). HMM

For more . . . .
Re: God's Moral Law by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:23pm On Dec 05, 2012
Forget Not His Commandments
December 5, 2012.

"My son, forget not my law; but let thine heart keep my commandments" (Proverbs 3:1).

It is vitally important that, even though we are saved by grace and not by the works of the law, we never forget that God's law is essentially a statement of God's holiness. We should desire to know and follow God's commandments simply because they are "holy, and just, and good" (Romans 7:12), not because we seek salvation through them.

It is noteworthy that the anonymous writer of the longest chapter in the Bible (Psalm 119), in which practically every verse refers to the Scriptures, stressed seven times that he would never forget the laws and commandments of his Lord. May the Lord teach us to share the same determination. Note:

"I will delight myself in thy statutes: I will not forget thy word" (v. 16).

"For I am become like a bottle in the smoke; yet do I not forget thy statutes" (v. 83).

"I will never forget thy precepts: for with them thou hast quickened me" (v. 93).

"My soul is continually in my hand: yet do I not forget thy law" (v. 109).

"I am small and despised: yet do not I forget thy precepts" (v. 141).

"Consider mine affliction, and deliver me: for I do not forget thy law" (v. 153).

"I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek thy servant; for I do not forget thy commandments" (v. 176).

This seventh reference is actually the closing verse of this remarkable 119th Psalm. It beautifully points up the urgency of not forgetting the commandments of God. He will seek us when we stray and bring us back home to Him, for we remember and love His law. HMM

For more . . . .
Re: God's Moral Law by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:50pm On Apr 21, 2013
Daily Manna

The Law And Its Limits

TEXT: ROMANS 7:1-12

"But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter" (Romans 7:6)

In line with the perversions that have beset the marriage institution, the Christian marriage vow is being modified today. The most significantly affected part of that vow is "till death do us part." Yet, this clause captures God’s concept of marriage which implies that divorce is not an option.

This truth is upheld in today's text that a married woman is bound to her husband while he lives but is discharged from that obligation after her husband’s death. This is also applicable to the man.

The text was principally addressed to the Christian Jews who had been "married" to the law of ordinances. According to divine arrangement, the dispensation of the law "died" and made way for the era of grace to be ushered in through Christ. As such, the Jews are no more bound to the law than a woman is to a dead husband. They are free to embrace the gospel of grace without any guilt.

What about the law? It was good and served its own purpose. It was useful in disclosing man's inclination to sin and prescribed punishments for it. However, the law provided neither help nor hope for the sinner but subjected him to perpetual guilt and sentence of death.

Isn't it a great privilege to be living in the dispensation of grace brought about by the sacrifice of Christ on the cross? By this He "obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises" (Hebrews 8:6). The new covenant not only provides for our pardon and cleansing, it grants us enabling grace to "go and sin no more" and to "bring forth fruits unto God."

Thought for the day: "Grace grants us freedom from sin, not freedom to sin"

For Details . . .
Re: God's Moral Law by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:16am On Oct 14, 2013
The purpose of the moral Law (the Ten Commandments) is to stop the sinner’s mouth of justification. The Law tells him what sin is (see 1 John 3:4) and stops him proclaiming his own goodness. Its intent is to drive him to the cross. John Wesley said, "The first use of [the Law], without question, is to convince the world of sin. By this is the sinner discovered to himself. All his fig-leaves are torn away, and he sees that he is ‘wretched and poor and miserable, blind and naked.’ The Law flashes conviction on every side. He feels himself a mere sinner. He has nothing to pay. His ‘mouth is stopped’ and he stands ‘guilty before God.’”

D. L. Moody said, "Ask Paul why [the Law] was given. Here is his answer, ‘That every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God’ (Romans 3:19). The Law stops every man’s mouth. I can always tell a man who is near the kingdom of God; his mouth is stopped. This, then, is why God gives us the Law—to show us ourselves in our true colours." [From the Evidence Bible]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Demonology 101: 25 Facts About Demons / Where Was My Spirit/soul When I Lost Consciousness? / D

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.