Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,340 members, 7,819,200 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:38 PM

World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim (12234 Views)

African Development Bank Presidency: 5 Serving Ministers, 3 Others Contest / President Of World Bank, Jim Yong Kim, Commends D'banj / Buhari Endorses Akinwunmi Adesina For African Development Bank Presidency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by BBDelta(m): 4:57pm On Mar 23, 2012
Home » News & Reports » News
World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates South Korean-born Jim Yong Kim
Posted: March 23, 2012 - 16:48
Posted by siteadmin

caption: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala
By SaharaReporters, New York
In a move today that signaled US discomfort with Nigeria's finance minister Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, President Barack Obama nominated Darthmouth College President Jim Yong Kim as a candidate for the presidency of the World Bank.

Over the last week several African and South American countries, including Brazil had indicated their support for Mrs. Iweala to become the next president of the bank, however, President Obama's decision to nominate a different candidate represents almost certain doom for the Nigerian minister's candidacy.

The US has traditionally exercised immense power over candidates for the presidency of the World Bank.

Earlier today the Nigerian government as well as those of Angola and South Africa issued statement disclosing that they would meet to today to discuss their support for Mrs. Iweala for the World Bank presidency in Johanesburg.

A human rights activist in Abuja said Obama's rejection of Iweala would be good riddance. He said he half-wished that Mrs. Iweala would depart the Nigerian government for the World Bank job.

"She has failed to be an advocate for ordinary Nigerians and did little or nothing to push the Jonathan regime to cut governmental waste and to combat corruption."

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/world-bank-presidency-obama-rejects-iweala-nominates-south-korean-born-jim-yong-kim
Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by BBDelta(m): 4:58pm On Mar 23, 2012
I keep my fingers Crossed XXXXXXXXX.
Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by chuks49(m): 5:02pm On Mar 23, 2012
America has the final say in affair bordering on World Bank.
Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by Nobody: 5:09pm On Mar 23, 2012
mtcheeeeew
Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by chijokz(m): 5:12pm On Mar 23, 2012
Well..this shouldn't come as a shock..Obama knows with Iweala as Pres, 'certain key interests' wouldn't be protected..
Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by nasty45(m): 5:13pm On Mar 23, 2012
Abeg make dem accept her,we sef don tire for ha.WHIC KIND LIFE?

2 Likes

Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by itiswell1(m): 5:13pm On Mar 23, 2012
What were u expecting?
Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by dasparrow: 5:13pm On Mar 23, 2012
Its all politics. Who cares?
Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by Funkymallam(m): 5:13pm On Mar 23, 2012
I thought people here said only an American can get that post?
Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by itiswell1(m): 5:16pm On Mar 23, 2012
nasty45: Abeg make dem accept her,we sef don tire for ha.WHIC KIND LIFE?

Abi now.
Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by buty: 5:19pm On Mar 23, 2012
dahonestboss: mtcheeeeew
I agree she has done little or nothing forr the ordinary Nigerians, corruption Iڪ still @ its peak
Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by Atigba: 5:19pm On Mar 23, 2012
[b][/b]Bleep Obama.....this is racism.....Obama this is my word to you... may you never return as the America president....Nonsense
Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by Nobody: 5:20pm On Mar 23, 2012
She get the position or not is not going to change the price of petrol. so who cares?
Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by emmysam2: 5:21pm On Mar 23, 2012
Am not surprised about Obama's nomination. Ngozi Iweala may have the credentials & credibility for the job(and perhaps be the top notch for the job), but it doesnt work that way! There are more to International politics than mere sentiments and rhetorics. The World Bank Presidency job is a big, big positon. Diverse economic interests are at staked. Just maybe the Developed countries are willing to concede the position to an "Emerging Economy" but definitely not to any country that they believe cannot protect "the interests at Stake". Ngozi Iweala has an uphill task contending for the prestigeous job. Even if she doesnt get the job, it is noteworthy to acknowledge it in the anals of history that she was credible enough to be nominated. I stroongly wish her a big success at this Herculean ambition!

3 Likes

Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by emron1(m): 5:23pm On Mar 23, 2012
she failed to convince the nigerian gvt. To cut it's spending rather they made her fall for their subsidy plan and yet she expects her self to be voted world bank head, how would she even make financial suggestions to world leaders when she couldn't do the same to her's. Kind of reminds me of gordon brown who wanted to be imf head when he finished ruining the british economy only difference was the fact that dave camron was inteligent enough not to nominante him whish jonathan where to be that smart.
Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by Acidosis(m): 5:23pm On Mar 23, 2012
What do you expect? NOI is not a member of illuminati

2 Likes

Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by wesley80(m): 5:25pm On Mar 23, 2012
Funkymallam: I thought people here said only an American can get that post?

Aboki, he's a "South Korean born American". Kachi ko?
Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by Funkymallam(m): 5:30pm On Mar 23, 2012
wesley80:
Aboki, he's a "South Korean born American". Kachi ko?

Na ji, dan iska grin
Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by kwaghe: 5:35pm On Mar 23, 2012
Acidosis: What do you expect? NOI is not a member of illuminati
How do you know?
Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by mycito90: 5:36pm On Mar 23, 2012
yea that is good... I lyk dat move...kudos to obama
Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by kwaghe: 5:37pm On Mar 23, 2012
Funkymallam:

Na ji, dan iska grin
Why insulting him? You should thank him for educating you.
Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by Funkymallam(m): 5:40pm On Mar 23, 2012
kwaghe: Why insulting him? You should thank him for educating you.

angry
Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by Funkymallam(m): 5:41pm On Mar 23, 2012
kwaghe: Why insulting him? You should thank him for educating you.
Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by Kobojunkie: 5:41pm On Mar 23, 2012
buty: I agree she has done little or nothing forr the ordinary Nigerians, corruption Ȋ̝̊̅ڪ still @ its peak

And here I thought I read somewhere that she has done so much in the last couple of months. Don't ask me what. Just that we are coming up to 1 year since Jonathan's election and I am wondering what this administration has really accomplished, even with Okonji-Iweala touted as the ace in the administration.
Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by primzi: 5:42pm On Mar 23, 2012
Abeg, who go help us beg Obama to allow aunty Ngozi head world bank? We no mind make we dey pay her salary but we need push am commot for Naija. Obama i beg o! cry cry

If she's president of world bank at least she'd play by the rules and aim at proving she has stuff but she's way pass making any impact in Naija.

1 Like

Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by nasty45(m): 5:43pm On Mar 23, 2012
Funkymallam:

Na ji, dan iska grin
dan boroba.shege.warnka.pesn teach mallam sth e d curse am.lil 1da d wan gv dem almajiri skul
Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by fm7070: 5:44pm On Mar 23, 2012
Obama cannot dictate for the entire world.
Let's wait and see
If everyone rejected the black handsome gorilla called 'Obama' will he be US President today?
Same way he sailed through, same way my sister Ngozi will make it.
They forget that Nigerian politics and economy is so difficult to manage. She's just a minister of finance. If the presidency refuse her suggestion, what will she do. Moreover, this woman has tried a whole lot for this country.
Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by BIGERBOY1: 5:44pm On Mar 23, 2012
I welcome you all back from your daydreaming that, that crucial job will be given to an African at this turbulence economic times for the west. undecided

If anything this was just a publicity stunt for NOI orchestrated by the west to redeem her fairly bartered image (or shall I say blown cover) as an agent of the Brettonwoods institutions (IMF and Worldbank)
Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by Nobody: 5:55pm On Mar 23, 2012
See what philip emeagwali has caused Ngozi now.obama knows that ibos can never be trusted with money.
Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by manchy7531: 5:57pm On Mar 23, 2012
i don't believe sahararepoters.it is bgot site that has hatred for anything Jonathan and his government officials.

that was how they publish a report of Jonathan's candidate for pdp chairmanship being disgrace and defeated at the pdp convention which was a big lie. saharareporters is the worst site ever.lies,propaganda,bigotry and mis-information
Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by ZAMERUDEENFPI: 6:01pm On Mar 23, 2012
I support Obama, Ngozi has done nothing to improve d living condition of an average nigerian.
Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by neymar11: 6:01pm On Mar 23, 2012
They forget that Nigerian politics and economy is so difficult to manage. She's just a minister of finance. If the presidency refuse her suggestion, what will she do.[img]http://www.demama.info/hjk[/img]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Smart Adeyemi Donate 15 Suvs, N600m Hospital Equipments To Constituents / James Entwist Meets With #BringBackOurGirls‬ Group Led By Oby Ezekwesili. Photos / Lai Mohammed Mourns Ras Kimono, Calls Him Unforgettable Reggae Giant!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.