Stats: 3,153,220 members, 7,818,757 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:36 AM

The 3 Candidates For World Bank Post - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The 3 Candidates For World Bank Post (924 Views)

Ahead Of Inauguration - Committee Nominates 3 Candidates As Dep Gov / The Only 3 Candidates That Will Give Apc Presidential Mandate / 'If CBN Guv Was Zoned To S/West, Sanusi Would Have Made Top 3 Candidates' Jarus (2) (3) (4)

The 3 Candidates For World Bank Post by supereagle(m): 9:28pm On Mar 24, 2012
WASHINGTON (AFP) – Since its founding in 1944, Washington has always chosen the head of the World Bank, and has filled the position each time with an American, without opposition.

But this year, for the first time two challengers are vying with the US nominee to replace the outgoing Bank president, former US diplomat Robert Zoellick.

Here are the three:

– Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: nominated by her own country Nigeria as well as South Africa and Angola, the 57-year-old economist and finance minister has already spent more than two decades in numerous positions at the World Bank.

Born into an aristocratic family in southern Nigeria, she studied economics at Harvard and earned a doctorate in regional economics and development from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

In her most recent position at the Bank, she was managing director under Zoellick, before being drafted by the new Nigerian government to oversee financial reforms.

She is married to a surgeon, Ikemba Iweala, and they have four children.

– Jose Antonio Ocampo, 59, is a US-trained economist who has served in the Colombian government as well as the United Nations.

He has held posts as agriculture minister, planning minister and central bank chairman in Colombia’s government, and was executive secretary of the Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean for six years.

From 2003-2007, he was United Nations under-secretary-general for economic and social affairs.

He is currently a professor at the School of International and Public Affairs at Columbia University in New York.

– Jim Yong Kim: the US nominee, 52, was born in South Korea but grew up in rural Iowa. He studied medicine and anthropology at Harvard and taught medicine in several universities.

Between 2003 and 2007, he led a World Health Organization initiative to bring antiretroviral drugs to HIV/AIDS patients in developing countries. A nonprofit he co-founded, Partners in Health, works with impoverished communities everywhere from Haiti to Russia.

His current position is president of Dartmouth College, one of the country’s elite Ivy League universities.

He is married to Younsook Lim, a pediatrician who has worked with HIV-positive children in Africa.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/03/the-3-candidates-for-world-bank-post/
Re: The 3 Candidates For World Bank Post by Callotti: 9:48pm On Mar 24, 2012
Gooooooooooooooooooooooo OCAMPO!!!!! kiss
Re: The 3 Candidates For World Bank Post by nduchucks: 10:07pm On Mar 24, 2012
Callotti: Gooooooooooooooooooooooo OCAMPO!!!!! kiss

Why are you in support of Ocampo, a man who does not even have the support of his own country? Na wettin Autie Ngozi do you na? Abi you you are jealous of her success ni or is she automatically disqualified in your books because she be Igbo?
Re: The 3 Candidates For World Bank Post by EzeUche(m): 10:09pm On Mar 24, 2012
Looking at each of their credentials, Auntie Ngozi is the most QUALIFIED person for the job.
Re: The 3 Candidates For World Bank Post by Callotti: 10:17pm On Mar 24, 2012
ndu_chucks:

Why are you in support of Ocampo, a man who does not even have the support of his own country? Na wettin Autie Ngozi do you na? Abi you you are jealous of her success ni or is she automatically disqualified in your books because she be Igbo?

Actually. . .because she is a Nigerian. Are you not tired of Nigerians disgracing you all over the world? I don't wanno take such a risk o! Before she go 'push' drug dia! Most importantly. . . Her appearance is SCARY! She reminds me of the 'slave-era'!
Re: The 3 Candidates For World Bank Post by EzeUche(m): 10:20pm On Mar 24, 2012
Callotti:

Actually. . .because she is a Nigerian. Are you not tired of Nigerians disgracing you all over the world? I don't wanno take such a risk o! Before she go 'push' drug dia! Most importantly. . . Her appearance is SCARY! She reminds me of the 'slave-era'!

Shut your annoying arse up.

Every time you post something, it pisssess me off. . .
Re: The 3 Candidates For World Bank Post by Callotti: 10:24pm On Mar 24, 2012
EzeUche:

Shut your annoying arse up.

Every time you post something, it pisssess me off.

Mission accommplished then. kiss

Now, back to topic. We don't need a "Butterfly McQueen" occupying the position of the World Bank President do we?
That would be highly embarassing! Besides, I have a serious problem with "Mgbeke" looks! She is daaaaaaaaaaaaaan TOO UGLY!!!

[flash]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy90YiCon3M&feature=topics[/flash]
Re: The 3 Candidates For World Bank Post by Funkymallam(m): 10:57pm On Mar 24, 2012
Callotti:

How did she disgrace Nigeria for over two decades she was there?

Drop d hate.
Re: The 3 Candidates For World Bank Post by Callotti: 11:06pm On Mar 24, 2012
Funkymallam:

How did she disgrace Nigeria for over two decades she was there?

Drop d hate.

I don't hate her.
After working in Nigeria. . .she ceases to be qualified.
Simple. Even Obama recognizes that.
Please, be objective.
Re: The 3 Candidates For World Bank Post by egift(m): 6:53am On Mar 25, 2012
Obama's candidate Kim, rapped last year at a Dartmouth talent show last year.

Federal Government To Stop Funding Of Universities - Anyim Pius Anyim / Goodluck Jonathan Features On Vogue Magazine Italia / May 29: Food Prices Soar By 300% …as Purchasing Power Gets Weaker